Message Boards

Topic : 04/14 An Addict in the Family

Number of Replies: 57
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 08, 2009, 05:04:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/12/09) While battling cancer, Paula says she missed the signs that her 21-year-old daughter, C.J., was disconnecting from the family and turning to drugs to heal her anguish. After Paula’s husband, Jim, had an affair, the signs of trouble with their daughter became clearer. Since then, the family has done everything, including rehab, counseling and tough love, but nothing has kept C.J. drug free. Now C.J. ingests combinations of 13 prescription and street drugs, and is on the edge of killing herself. Anthony, her brother, is fed up and says she is ruining their family. Can they survive the constant turmoil? And is C.J. ready to get clean? Next, one of the heroin twins returns to Dr Phil to celebrate one year of sobriety and share her difficult road to recovery. Plus, emergency room physician and host of The Doctors Dr. Travis Stork says that he rarely spends a night in the E.R. without seeing a victim of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. Find out the most common mistakes people make and the questions you should ask yourself before you take a pill. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 12, 2009, 1:50 am CST

addict om the family

This show made me so angry because this girl is only 21 yrs old and she doesn't know what life has to offer her.  My little sister died, she was 18, of a perscription drug overdose.  She was so beautiful and young, she didnt have to go like that.  The last three family members of mine, have died from a drug overdose.  I just dont understand why my sister didnt see that drugs never do any good.  I experienced what it was like to be addicted to drugs myself, but I got out of it before it was too late.  I have been clean for over eight years now and have a wonderful husband and two beautiful little boys.  I just wish that these people would understand what they are doing to themselves and the people that they love.  It was the hardest thing, having to burry my little sister.  It has been over two years and my mother is still having a difficult time dealing with it.  I just hope that this girl understands that she still has a chance.

January 12, 2009, 7:40 am CST

01/12 An Addict in the Family

I have a son in prison again because he is an addict. He is 35 and this is his 3rd time in prison. I never hear from him when he out on the streets and using. I hear from him weekly while he is incarcerated. t breaks my heart and I know what this family is going through. There is nothing I can do to help my son. He was in drug rehab for the first time when he was 18. He means to stay straight while locked up but that goes away the minute he is out. I hope you can help this young lady and that she takes it to heart. Rosemary Long

January 12, 2009, 8:21 am CST

Worried about my brother

Alright, this is the first time I have ever written on a message board here and tell the truth I'm not exactly sure what to expect. For message boards are different on different sites and I just hope that people here are actually nice. Right now I must admit that I am worried my baby brother may be doing drugs and the thing that makes me sick is there is nothing I can do about it. Since he is not my child I can not go through his room and my parent's I believe are in denial about it. Right now, he has admitted to the fact of drinking alcohol with his friends (he is 19) and doing dip (chewing tobacco). He goes out every Wednesday night, even though I know this is normal I just worry. As of lately when questioning him about dip, he has stated that he does it more when he is with his current friends. I like his friends but I feel that they are making horrible choices. It just aggravates me that I feel I am hopeless in this matter.

January 12, 2009, 11:27 am CST

An Addict In The Family

I really feel for this young girl and her family. We had an addict in our family,  but now he's gone...forever! Christopher was my beautiful, wonderful son and he was addicted to prescription pills. Christopher had just turned 26 years old on April 28, 2008, and three short weeks later on May 19th, he was dead. He took a fatal combination of adderal, Klonopin and methadone. We had almost lost him so many times before because of his addiction. Yet, God always gave him another chance. Even though I knew this time was different and he would not be coming home...inside I really felt that he would have another chance at life because he had so many chances before. So many young people are dying from overdosing on pills and taking deadly combinations of pills. I don't understand how this has become the new way for young people to get high and why doctors are letting it happen. My son did not want to die, but he lost control of his life when he began taking too many pills and taking deadly combinations of pills. My son is finally at peace. His body no longer aches for pills and he no longer struggles with his demons. However, his death has left me in a black pit of anger, pain and grief that I cannot escape from. My world has been turned upside down and I will never be on level ground again. 

January 12, 2009, 12:50 pm CST

more about addiction

i am in recovery for 6yrs. and still have people discriminating, me...you are not helping our cause, to get people to look at it as a disease.i have been knocked down from some of the top rungs of the ladder because of this past of mine.  i am still here still clean and still fighting the like of you..secret discrimination.

January 12, 2009, 12:53 pm CST

I am scared that my mom is going to die.

This episode made me feel scared because everything that was said is true. My mom is addicted to prescription drugs but she wil not admit it. I am scared that she is going to die because she gets to the point where she will forget things. I do not want to lose my mom because of her adiction to the prescription drugs. She is taking a mixture of drugs too. She has like 4 or 5 different depression pills, taking boneva, and she is on carbatrol. I would like to see her get help with this but she will not. Her doctor does not help either because she is the one who is giving these pills out without any investigation of why the last pill is not working or even seeing what she is taking. I do not think that pills are the healthiest way to go and I want to see my mom live. I hope everyone who is an addict can overcome this. Good luck.

January 12, 2009, 1:13 pm CST

hi dr.phil about these drugs

I KNOW SOMEONE THAT USED TO DO DRUGS ALL THE TIME,IN MY FAMILY HE STOPPED THANK GOD IT WAS AN OLDER BROTHER,AND A YOUNGER SISTER.SO I GUESS I SHOULD SAY THEY STOPPED.OXYCONTIN,PERCOCET AND OXYCOCET IS ALL THE SAME DRUG JUST DIFFERENT STRENGHTS.SOME JUST SAY PERKS.THE REASON I KNOW IS IM ON OXYCOCET BY PERSCRIPTION DRUG.I WAS TAKING NINE A DAY FOR CHRONIC PAIN AND IM TRYING TO GET OFF THEM NOW.IM DOWN TO 4 A DAY.AND DR.PHIL YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT WHEN YOU SAY YOU CAN GET THEM ANYWHERE,YOU CAN GET THEM ANYWHERE HERE I KNOW.ITS TOO EASY TO GO TOO A DR. AND ASK FOR PERKS,OXYCOCET,OXYCONTIN,AND THEY WILL GIVE THEM TO YOU.MORPHINE DOES THE SAME THING AS ALL THESE DRUGS THAT I PUT UP HERE,I WAS PUT ON MORPHINE AND I ASK TO BE TAKEN OFF OF THEM MY GOD SIDE EFFECTS ARE UNREAL.NOW IM DEALING WITH OXCOCET 5/325 MG.I TAKE NINE AND LIKE I SAID IM DOWN TO 4 A DAY SOMETIMES.I STILL CAN'T STOP TAKING THEM.I WATCHED THAT TWIN SISTER THAT SAID I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL TO C,J,AND I LOOKED INTO HER EYES AND SHE WAS SO SAD.I THOUGHT IF SHE CAN DO THIS SO CAN I.DRUGS ANY KIND PERSCRIPTION OR NOT IS AWAY TOO EASY TO GET.IM GLAD YOUR GOING TO HELP C,J, DR.PHIL.WHERE I LIVE EVEN YOU CAN GET THEM IN THE BUILDING IM IN EVEN.DRUGS IS A BIG THING NOW OF DAYS.DR.PHIL I WOULD JUST LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR HELPING ALL THE PEOPLE YOU HELP.GOD BLESS YOU.

January 12, 2009, 1:17 pm CST

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO

Quote From: rarrington

I really feel for this young girl and her family. We had an addict in our family,  but now he's gone...forever! Christopher was my beautiful, wonderful son and he was addicted to prescription pills. Christopher had just turned 26 years old on April 28, 2008, and three short weeks later on May 19th, he was dead. He took a fatal combination of adderal, Klonopin and methadone. We had almost lost him so many times before because of his addiction. Yet, God always gave him another chance. Even though I knew this time was different and he would not be coming home...inside I really felt that he would have another chance at life because he had so many chances before. So many young people are dying from overdosing on pills and taking deadly combinations of pills. I don't understand how this has become the new way for young people to get high and why doctors are letting it happen. My son did not want to die, but he lost control of his life when he began taking too many pills and taking deadly combinations of pills. My son is finally at peace. His body no longer aches for pills and he no longer struggles with his demons. However, his death has left me in a black pit of anger, pain and grief that I cannot escape from. My world has been turned upside down and I will never be on level ground again. 
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TOO GET ANY DRUG FROM A DR. IS WALK INTO THEIR OFFICE AND SAY IM IN SO MUCH PAIN I CANT STAND IT.AND THEY HAND OUT PAIN MED.I AGREE WITH YOU.ABOUT THE DR'S, THEY DO LET IT HAPPEN BUT I ALSO THINK ITS MONEY.BEACUSE EVERYTIME YOU GET A PILL THEY GET PAYED.IM SOOO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.

January 12, 2009, 1:43 pm CST

You don't have to be an addict

I watched the show today and this young lady doesn't know how lucky she is to be alive and to have the chance to change and continue her life. I know all too well how it feels to loose a child to drugs.  My son, was 15, he was an honor roll student, a black belt in karate and an instructor.  He was not an addict--he did not do drugs.  On October 1, 1998 one of his best friends came into our home and gave our son GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate) the new date-rape drug (as a joke).  The next morning my husband went in to wake him for school and found our son dead in his bed.  This is truly a parents worst nightmare come true. We buried our son not knowing why he had died, you see, his friends all knew what had happened--but for 8 long agonizing weeks--no-one would speak up.  A little over a year after Michael died he came to his father in a dream--it was so real-- he just wanted to grab onto him and hold him-- but he knew he couldn't.  Michael had something to tell him, he said "Dad it is wrong to destroy the body and to make things right where I'm at, I need you and mother to go out and tell my friends, my generation, my story-- our tragedy.  He said Dad, you don't have a clue about the drugs that my generation faces. 

On March 16, 2000 we stood before students at a school that Michael had attended.  That was the birth of Michael's Message "A Drug Awareness Program".  That was 9 years ago and over 600,000 students nationwide.  We have testified before Congress twice and the FDA about this drug GHB.  We have also written a book: Michael: Who Would You Leave Behind?-- It asks our youth the question who would they leave behind.  It tell of how drugs and death do not only affect them--but their family, friends, their school and community.  When Michael died, there were over 300 people at his funeral.  Michael's Message is a non-profit organization designed to educate our youth about the dangers of drugs and abuse.  Please visit www.michaelsmessage.org for more information and to read remarks from students, parents, educators and government officials.  Drug use/abuse touches all of our lives.  We speak to students during the day and hold town hall meetings for parents and the community at night. Thank you.

January 12, 2009, 2:53 pm CST

CJ is beyond the point of help.

CJ is in some MAJOR trouble. I mean look at her, she couldnt even give Dr. Phil 1 hour of her life when she was in a normal state. Look at her on tv, shes a mess, completely out of it, completely numb, she was ready to fall over. Im surpised Dr. Phil didnt send her home 2 minutes after they started that show.

CJ, is a major addict, anything, anytime, no matter what, where, when, how, etc. If I were the parents, kick her out of the house, they are just enabling her. CJ - Get a job.... I mean what is she hiding from? No matter what you do, its all gonna come to an end. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe 2 months from now.

CJ - Your not 'mentally\ strong enough to do this, really your not, Even with Dr. Phils GOD given, best services, best doctors, etc in the world for FREE. I think you still cant do it! Your just too weak and not wanting too.

If your do accept the help, even though your high on XANAX, when you come down and you will, you will be asked to leave due to your inability to work the program.

PS: Where were you when your mother was fighting for her life with Cancer? So selfish.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last