Message Boards

Topic : 08/07 Family Cult, Part 2

Number of Replies: 10
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 09, 2009, 02:29:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/14/09) Dr. Phil continues his look at extreme religious groups and how their influence can shatter lives and rip families apart — all in the name of God. Wayne Bent, leader of The Lord Our Righteousness Church in New Mexico, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexual misconduct with teenage followers. Lorraine and Bambi are former members of this group who left a mother and two sisters behind. They say they were are concerned  that their family members are fasting, which they considered a matter of life and death. Dr. Phil cameras follow the two women as they travel to the compound in New Mexico in an attempt to rescue their relatives. Is their mission successful, or will they have to accept that their loved ones may live in this environment forever? Then, Taariq and Nichole are a brother and sister who were raised in a group called the United Nuwabian Nation of Moors, on a 400-acre compound located outside of Atlanta. The siblings say they were forced to drop out of school and were sexually molested by the group’s leader, Dwight York. Although York was put in prison with the help of Nichole and Taariq’s testimony, they say they still struggle to move forward with their lives. Can Taariq and Nichole adjust to the outside world? Don’t miss the warning signs that your loved one could be involved in an extreme religious group. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 14, 2009, 5:20 pm CST

Help

I was involved in a church. After leaving the church and moving back home I have had trouble adapting to the outside world. My mind/memory is very cloudy. I get headaches when I have to think. I have anxiety, often depressed and can't remain focused and loss of memory.  Everything that I knew regarding my 12 year career seems lost and I feel like I am starting all over again.

What can I do to get my mind back?

January 14, 2009, 8:36 pm CST

Cult

I was involved in a Cultural Cult of the Native American Indian.  I  was told I had to move to Helena, Mt to get my son doctored (healing).  Was told he had cancer and the only way he would live is thru cultural healing of the medicine man.  Took a year to supposedly heal him.  I had to offer myself as a woman to this medicine man for healing.  I was in there for 4.5 years. 

Then when I was done his so called healing, I was supposedly messed up and needed healing.  I was told that if I didn't get healing I would end up gay.

Anyways in that 4.5 years I was there I gave him my life savings ($16,000) plus supporting him when I was living there.  So the total I would say is about $25,000 - $30,000.  I came back home to Canada broke....Broke.

I had to take pictures with a black guy naked while I had black underwear on and make it look like we were having sex.  This was a healing i was told.

I couldn't go anywhere without spiritual guidance first.  Had fear of everything.  Anything I did would affect my sons healing.

I was majorly brainwashed and couldn't even think on my own.  I was so independant before this and had a career and money.

I finally came home when he died.  But I still worshipped and stuck up for him when I moved home.  I took me about 2 years to finally see everything for what it was... Bullshit..

But I am still so angry and need help letting go of it.

I have many more stories to tell of the cult experience I went thru.  The cultural people at home here, I can make there eyes pop out from the stories.

I have so much I can share to people out there but I don't know how to do it.

January 14, 2009, 9:28 pm CST

family

My husband and his parents were part of this group when it was called LOR  in the 1980's and they still have family in the group. when i saw this show it was very hard for me to  see one of  them . They have no contact with us as we are of the devil and That is So hard. I hope that the End is soon and  they and be reunited with us . It will be hard for both parties as there is issues there but the Lord can work all that out .

January 15, 2009, 12:18 am CST

Why is it so hard to believe?

Thank God people are finally realizing the abuse that goes on behind closed doors and the damage it does to victims.  My question is, if we can believe people can be this sick and abusive and brainwashed, then why don't we believe Satanic Occults exist?

January 17, 2009, 9:56 pm CST

religion and cults

If you study religion, you will find they all started with cults and brainwashing.  Even the Christian religion.

A man goes around preaching what people want to hear.  Twelve men leave their families and go with him.  If this was going on now, it would be called a cult.  Even the early Greek gods were born to virgins, preached and died as a sacrifice.

Religion was invented because man is afraid of dying and he thinks his religion is the right one that will give him a ticket to heaven.  A Muslim who blows himself up, kills a lot of people is told he is a martyr and will get 72 virgins in heaven.  Religion has been the cause of more devastation in this world. I can't understand how any intelligent person can believe in any religion.

I think it would be an interesting show to have a believer and a non believer have a go at it.  Have you read the God Part Of The Brain by Matthew Alper?  He would make an interesting guest.

January 18, 2009, 9:50 pm CST

FAMILY CULT

Quote From: cutiemia

If you study religion, you will find they all started with cults and brainwashing.  Even the Christian religion.

A man goes around preaching what people want to hear.  Twelve men leave their families and go with him.  If this was going on now, it would be called a cult.  Even the early Greek gods were born to virgins, preached and died as a sacrifice.

Religion was invented because man is afraid of dying and he thinks his religion is the right one that will give him a ticket to heaven.  A Muslim who blows himself up, kills a lot of people is told he is a martyr and will get 72 virgins in heaven.  Religion has been the cause of more devastation in this world. I can't understand how any intelligent person can believe in any religion.

I think it would be an interesting show to have a believer and a non believer have a go at it.  Have you read the God Part Of The Brain by Matthew Alper?  He would make an interesting guest.

This is very true.  Even on these boards, no matter what the topic many people include religion,  for some who lack in putting forward a constructive argument, they resort to religion and what the bible said,  meaning all other opinions don't count.

How many churches are poor?

It would be wise if religion could be kept out of debates, which take up so much space and room, and usually have nothing to do with any topic at hand

January 23, 2009, 9:52 am CST

H.E.R.B Had enough religious bull$h!T

http://edkrebs.com/herb/index.htm  

A Collection of Articles, Quotations, and Cartoons For
Those Of Us Who Prefer Not To Live In A Theocracy.

"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."
-- Sigmund Freud

History does not record anywhere or at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unkonwn without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it."
-- Robert Heinlen

"Religion poisons everything"
-- Christopher Hitchens  

On religious wars, "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-- Richard Jeni  

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day.
Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.
--Timothy Jones  

"God and country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed."
-- Luis Bu�uel

"There was a time when religion ruled the world.
It is known as the dark ages."
-- Ruth Hermence Green

"Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool."
�- Voltaire

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction"
-- Blaise Pascal

July 31, 2009, 12:08 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Cult Doctor Family Part Phil Two. You were right Doctor Phil about Cult Family I will never ever see it again.

See you on August Friday 07th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------

August 6, 2009, 11:01 pm CDT

08/07 Family Cult, Part 2

Quote From: sonshine1014

Thank God people are finally realizing the abuse that goes on behind closed doors and the damage it does to victims.  My question is, if we can believe people can be this sick and abusive and brainwashed, then why don't we believe Satanic Occults exist?

Your comment is exactly right people can be very persuasive.

August 7, 2009, 1:57 pm CDT

Mother treating her children in cult fashion

My fiances ex uses tactics as I saw on the show today re cults ..and it scares me for the children.

While married to her she consistently name called , demeaned my fiance verbally - occasionally physically, and totally tried and almost succeeded in diminishing his self esteem and self worth. Now she uses the same with their children and escalated since the divorce.

She home schools, sees herself as a phophet, preaches behaviour that she is exempt for... tells the children and they repeat it  that it is not their works or behaviour in life that gets them to heaven but just their belief  alone. All activities  are church involved, She invents illnesses for her children  and has them scared to the point one carries a bag of medical supplies with him at all times..she preaches to them the evils of others , including their father and the school system full of rape and pillage in her view. She constantly uses the kids to achieve her wants. Verbally attacks their Dad in front of them .. parental alienation- lies to them about him, conatantly says he does not love them - and he does and is a good Dad. Tells them they are not to be "of" the world but above it and apart from it...calls and harrasses their Dad when kids are here on their weekends. Calls their fathers parents to demean her Ehim to his own parents again in front of the children. always in front of the kids ! Uses the kids to cook and clean.

The kids run from timid, the eldest and last and one has definite rigid thinking and condems the behavior of his father to him openly and sees the faults according to his Moms preaching in everyone. He has dull eyes and never finds anything to smile about. He is 13. After seeing this show and the many many similarities we are very worried about these kids. Will it have the same effect if a parent as it would a leader not related? What can we do !!! 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page