Message Boards

Topic : 04/06 Ask Dr. Phil

Number of Replies: 220
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 09, 2009, 02:34:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/16/09) It's Ask Dr. Phil day, and you won't believe the topics! First up, Jimmy, a 43-year-old musician, lives with his 20-year-old daughter, Morgan. He says many young ladies are attracted to him -- including Morgan’s friends. He prefers dating the young ladies, but Morgan says he should stick to women his own age. Should he change his relationship rules for his daughter? Next, Jessica says her husband is like the trash man, constantly throwing away the kids' games and shredding mail -- including a check he received for his birthday! Jessica says money is tight and wants to know how to curb her spouse’s urge to purge. Then, Anita and her husband, Kenny,  appeared on the Dr. Phil episode "'You're Not Hot Enough,'"  because Anita was overweight and Kenny made fun of her. Since the show, she has both lost and regained over 50 pounds and now wants gastric bypass surgery to take the weight off for good. Why is Kenny so opposed to the procedure? Does Dr. Phil think it's a good idea? And, Keyana says she wants to be adopted by a new mom. What does Dr. Phil think about her pursuit for new parents? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 16, 2009, 1:02 pm CST

More Than Uncluttering

My daughter and I ran a business for several years (Get-It-Together) and helped many people understand that the most important aspect of the uncluttering process is:  Organize, Organize, Organize!  When hubby came home and things got tossed out, yes, it was about frustration but.....  why were the children's homework papers or a check lying about somewhere to begin with?!  The number one issue we told our clients to deal with was their paperwork.  The inability to be able to find an important piece of paper when you need it will cause more problems in your life than any other kind of clutter.  First, you tackle sorting out and designating places for all the "paper" in your life, then, label, label, label!!!!

If the children's homework papers go into the backpacks as soon as done, no homework gets thrown away.  Simple solution.  If it's a school trip permission form, etc. place it in a folder and keep it in a visible place near the door you exit each morning.  Ditto the car keys.

And, if the children don't want dad chucking out toys, they put them away.  That's their job and the sooner they learn to take care of picking up after themselves the better.  It's not mom's or dad's job to keepl track of their things.

The husband may have been a bit obsessed with uncluttering but it's a family job to deal with clutter, not dad's!  If he ever wants new surroundings, send him to our house.  I'll take him in a heartbeat.

Sign me, A Professional Unclutterer!

January 16, 2009, 1:10 pm CST

comment on age difference relationships

I speak from experience as I once married a woman that was younger than 2 of my daughters.  I am convinced that age shoudn't be the determining factor for building relationships.  However, maturity usually comes with age, with some exceptions.  Maturity, I've found, while it can be attained much quicker in some cases than adequately ascertained adequately by someone who may be prejudiced by emotional and physical involvement may take some time to be realized by a potential candidate for a relationship.  Ego plays a huge part and conflicts with ones desire to face statistical facts and truth.  I'm reminded of an old addage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".  The desire to stay young is much stronger than the ability to stay young.  Maturity gives strength but doesn't always offer enough strength to fulfill this kind of committment.  It is a personal call but must be a careful one.

January 16, 2009, 1:12 pm CST

looking at both sides

I can understand the fathers concerns of dating her friends. He also need to think of his daughter when she dates. How would he feel if she was dating a 43 year old man?

January 16, 2009, 1:15 pm CST

Jimmy Morrison?

Is it just me, or does Jimmy remind you of Jim Morrison?

January 16, 2009, 1:16 pm CST

age & dating...

No problem with him dating younger girls or older women.  He says he attracts younger girls.  No kidding.  Cut your hair & try looking your age!!

January 16, 2009, 1:19 pm CST

I am 14 yrs. younger than my boyfriend

My boyfriend, James, and I have been dating for almost 6 months now and he is 32 and I am 18. It is the best thing that has happened to the both of us! I am pretty mature for my age and since he has never been married and has no children the relationship really works!

January 16, 2009, 1:20 pm CST

dating younger women

I think its perfectly fine, I'm a single dad and travel a lot. I find it very difficult to meet someone my age that can handle my busy schedule. I'm currently having a relationship with a 19 year old from another city that I met on business. She gives me my space and is there emotionally when I need her. She has a muture attitude and is easy to talk to. She has made it very clear to me that age has nothing to do with the way she feels about a relationship and we have been together for 5 months.

January 16, 2009, 1:21 pm CST

Boundaries/ Older men younger women.

Hi, I don't find this too uncommon. Today's society is not back in the old days where age is a big issue. For one I do think boundaries is very important. I don't approve of an older man being with a younger woman. I feel myself it's uncomfortable. I have been there and dated a man who was 22 years older. It didn't work after 2 1/2 years.

I feel it's best he find someone in their thirty's to date. It much more appropriate. True it's his choice but it doesn't set a good example. I am a mother of 7 children and my oldest will be 18. I couldn't do what this man is doing.

January 16, 2009, 1:23 pm CST

Jimmy's Just Fine

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Jimmy's age choice of women. I am a thirty one year old women currently involved with a 46 year old man. I have one child and he has two; and overall, blending our families values and goals hasn't been too rough. So, I think as long as Jimmy knows himself and his motivations he's okay. His daughter needs to be in check and understand that her father's love life is just that, his. 

January 16, 2009, 1:23 pm CST

I want to know.......

What would Morgan's dad think if she would date someone who is over 40 and was crawling thru windows to be secretive?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last