Message Boards

Topic : 04/06 Ask Dr. Phil

Number of Replies: 220
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 09, 2009, 02:34:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/16/09) It's Ask Dr. Phil day, and you won't believe the topics! First up, Jimmy, a 43-year-old musician, lives with his 20-year-old daughter, Morgan. He says many young ladies are attracted to him -- including Morgan’s friends. He prefers dating the young ladies, but Morgan says he should stick to women his own age. Should he change his relationship rules for his daughter? Next, Jessica says her husband is like the trash man, constantly throwing away the kids' games and shredding mail -- including a check he received for his birthday! Jessica says money is tight and wants to know how to curb her spouse’s urge to purge. Then, Anita and her husband, Kenny,  appeared on the Dr. Phil episode "'You're Not Hot Enough,'"  because Anita was overweight and Kenny made fun of her. Since the show, she has both lost and regained over 50 pounds and now wants gastric bypass surgery to take the weight off for good. Why is Kenny so opposed to the procedure? Does Dr. Phil think it's a good idea? And, Keyana says she wants to be adopted by a new mom. What does Dr. Phil think about her pursuit for new parents? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 15, 2009, 10:46 pm CST

older men younger women

I do not find it unusual for an older man to date and/or marry a younger woman. As a matter of fact you often find this situation in the Philippines where foreign men marry younger Filipina. I am 66 years old and have a 22 year old Filipina Fiancee. I met her 2 years ago when she was 20 and I was 64. Before beconing engaged to her I dated another Filipina that was 30 years old.  We have what i would consider a very good relationship and while the age difference is substantial, we do not have any  problems communicating.  I have 2 daughters. One is 48 and the other is 42. Neither one of them have expressed any problem with the relationhip that i have or ones that I have had in the past.  Do you find this to be abnormal ?

January 16, 2009, 7:20 am CST

older men and younger girls

First of all Jimmy is too adorable and does NOT look his age.  I dont see anything wrong that hes having some fun but like Dr Phil said he isnt getting any younger and hes cheating himself not finding a woman closer to his age.  Im 46 and do not look my age either and probably get hit on more from the younger guys BUT I want a man closer to my age or older.  I just want someone who can relate to me on pretty much the same level:)  I am not a man hater ...lol and although Jimmy may have met some older women who were bitter I dont think the majority of older women have that bitterness.  Im sure he will find him a good woman when hes ready to settle down but for now enjoy yourself Jimmy and live your life to the fullest:)

January 16, 2009, 7:20 am CST

Dating younger women

I'm a younger woman (24) and my husband is thirteen years older than myself.  Some people look at us in a funny way when they find out our ages and my parents hate it, but I love my husband and he absolutely loves me.  Age had nothing to do with it.  On our first date, he had to tell me his age though because he looks a lot younger than he is.  If this man is looking for a serious relationship though at 43, he should probably be looking at women closer to 30 and up. 

January 16, 2009, 7:21 am CST

Dating Age

I don't think the age is the issue! I am 22 and have been married for a year and half to a 34 year old! we have been together since I was 18 and we now have a 6mo old. I think that Morgans father needs to consider trying to find someone to settle down with his college days are over! Is he scared of age or commitment?

January 16, 2009, 7:22 am CST

01/16 Ask Dr. Phil

i have a comment about a 43 year old dating a 20 year old, it is not right, he is old enough to be her father, my step daughter is sleeping and dating a 43 year old and has been for 3 years she just turned 21 we tried to tell her after finding out 2 years ago that she was sleeping with him and that it is wrong and she could find much younger person.  she of course was being her age and didnt, listen, and know she isnt living with us and it is killing her father knowing that all this is happening, but has no control over what she does and who she sees, and dad and daughter unfortunatly dont have a relationship because of this and she wont give her dad the time of day but takes this guy over her dad. 

we have thought  for awhile she might be pregnant and she might have been. this could be a story but back to the show, i think it doesnt set a good example for these young unexperienced and nieve girls. 

concerned

laurie

January 16, 2009, 7:24 am CST

older men younger women

Ask yourself what these men are looking for in dating younger women.  There is only one thing older men are looking for in a woman who is 1/2 their age.  Let's be honest here, they are looking for sex.  And they want to have sex with a girl who is young and hasn't weathered the aging process.  You see it often because there are a lot of men who, when they get older, need to feel younger and wanted.  The girls who are 18 or in their early 20s probably are looking for a man to want them because they missed out on that with their fathers.  It's gross really. 

January 16, 2009, 7:27 am CST

43 year old musician

Dr Phil-

This father seems to be emotionally immature. He is focused on immediate sexual gradification and says he doesn't have much to talk about with women near his own age. Maybe if he tries reading, paying attention to current events, etc he would have more to talk about with women who don't watch Gossip Girl.

January 16, 2009, 7:54 am CST

01/16 Ask Dr. Phil

Aside from the respect for his daughter, I don't see why this guy shouldn't date anyone who's legal and able to make that decision!  He obviously does his best to keep it discreet so his daughter does not have to directly deal with it, but she obviously already knows anyway, so why should he change what he does now?  I realize that a lot of guys have struggles with getting older and will do this kind of thing, I'm 47 myself and my spouse is 46, but it wouldn't matter if she was 26 or 66 as long as we get along and can live with each other.  I'm not going out looking for women, I don't want or need to now, but if that guy wants to go out with the beautiful young ladies, and they like him too? I can't blame him for a second as long as he keeps it legal, but if I were him I would at least try to respect my daughter a little more and not act like it's a "normal" way of life.

January 16, 2009, 8:22 am CST

Gastric Bypass

I appreciated Dr. Phil having a guest on the show who lost weight on his program and then gained it back. My husband Tim and I did the same thing. We were on the show in May 2004 and gained the weight back in less than a year. We've contacted the show before with our story because (1) I wanted the help and support and (2) I think it's important that people don't always see a "perfect" weight loss story. Cheers to the show for finally showing someone who didn't walk away with a completely happy ending the first time -- that's real life.

At the time we were on the show, I was 286 pounds. I got down to 237 and thought I'd never have a weight problem again and would reach my goal of a healthy weight. Now, however, I am 302 pounds (my highest every) and I am in the process of pursuing gastric bypass as an option.

I thought the surgery was a crazy, stupid idea until I investigated it. I view it as a tool to help me comply with all the things I learned from Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss Solution. I agree with Dr. Phil that this particular guest isn't a good candidate for the surgery for the reasons he mentioned. In the past five years I've worked with personal trainers, dieticians and psychologists (on my own; not through the help of the show) and while I've made amazing changes on the inside, my outside keeps getting bigger.

I wish I wasn't having to go down this path but I'm 16 years at being morbidly obese. I appeared on national TV, have the love and support of friends and family, work very hard at overcoming my food-related issues and still have an unhealthy weight situation. Anyone else out there pursued or pursuing gastric bypass? It's not a "quick fix" or "easy way out" I don't think.

January 16, 2009, 11:24 am CST

Boundaries

I understand what this father is going through.  I have 3 young adults, 21, 19, and 16.  I look young for my age and have had a number of my daughter's (21 y/o and 16 y/o) friends want to have a relationship with me.  I would NEVER date anyone the same age or around the same age as any of my children.  I think that that would definitely be crossing the line.  I like younger men but try to keep it no more than a 10 year (I'm 47) difference.  Growing up, my friends thought my father was very good looking but he would never have dated them. 
I can't see myself dating someone that I could have given birth to!!!!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last