Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 15, 2009, 05:08:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The slogan "Yes, we can," and the words hope and change are the foundation and spirit of Barack Obama's platform. As the inauguration approaches and the optimism and excitement grows, so too grows the hype. The pressure on the President-elect is so enormous you may be wondering how even a strong man can withstand it. Hear from a range of commentators, from Washington insiders Ari Fleischer and Arianna Huffington to members of the millennium generation, and learn what they have to say about the campaign, the challenges Obama faces and the qualities he possesses that will help him succeed. And, what can this new first family expect as they move into a life that will certainly play out under the microscope? Then, see shocking photos showing how a couple terms in the White House may have aged previous presidents. Is Obama at risk of maturing twice as fast while commander-in-chief? Dr. Travis Stork, co-host of the hit series The Doctors, illustrates the toll stress can take on a president. Plus, a trend-spotter shares the biggest trends Americans can expect when a new period in history begins!  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2009, 7:54 am CST

Vice President

If the President lives in the White House, where does the Vice President and his family resides?

January 19, 2009, 8:55 am CST

01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Quote From: garyshaw

I am from Maine - been to Canada many times.  It's no picnic either.  As a Police Officer I could not be armed in Canada.  A civilian has no chance.  We care about issues of the character and integrity of our leadership because, as a "superpower" we have to.  A man who cannot be trusted to tell his wife the truth, cannot be trusted to lead a country that sets (or at least used to) the example for the rest of world.  Did we select one?  History will tell but we sure did put a good man (John MCcain) through the wringer.  This is a man who gave all he had to his country.  If you don't like his politics don't vote for him but he surely didn't deserve what he got.  As to Diva - well if you don't like it stay in Canada.

P.S. - concerns about his alleged "muslim" routes were touted by a few rednecks and not the American people.

A few rednecks ARE the American people.

January 19, 2009, 8:56 am CST

Quote From: kknows01

If the President lives in the White House, where does the Vice President and his family resides?
34th & MA Ave.

January 19, 2009, 8:58 am CST

Quote From: garyshaw

It isn't bad enough we have hear all about how the "annointed one", but we also have to listen to the "annoying one", Arriana Huff and Puff.  This shrew can't even admit  that "He" can Age!  I wish she would return to whatever country sent her to socialize America - her mission is accomplished.

It wasn't so hard not to listen to her...she truly had nothing to say.

January 19, 2009, 9:01 am CST

Quote From: heel31ok

I am not one hoping to see a failed Obama Presidency. I just have to wonder though , why the point is being pushed that hope is lost and only he can bring it back . His election is being promoted as proof that America can be great again. America has always been great and that is not because of who is or is not President. it is because of the people who live here. Our hope is not built on or dependent on the President but on our ability as a people to do what needs to be done. If hope was built on a President then we would be entering a period where hope is not revived but just flip flopped to those who support the incoming President.
You make a valid point. I believe that some American have lost sight into who actually pays the salaries of our government officials...maybe it is because they are not actually paying...I wouldn't want to see any President fail because that would mean that our Country has also lost something of value during the failure.

January 19, 2009, 1:15 pm CST

Superman

I am so sick of hearing about this man and his family after the news stations throwing this election in our face for the last two years and now Dr. Phi has it on also.

CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN are so facinacinated about BO they seem he can do no wrong and walks on water. These news channels have been nothing but bias against all of the other Democrat and Republican candidates that were running for President that it makes me sick. BO is a good speech writer and speech maker, but that's the only experience I see he has over any of the other candidates that were running.

It will make no difference what mistakes he makes in the next four years, because any problems will still be blamed on President Bush even in 2012.

Thank goodness we still have a choice to use our remotes and watch Satelite TV because I wouldn't watch ONE MINUTE of today's show.

January 19, 2009, 1:34 pm CST

Hope is not hype

In watching today's show, the comments by the young conservative that "hope is a hype word" couldn't be further from the truth, in my opinion.  I am a great-grandmother - I've been around through many political campaigns.  I know what it is like to lose hope for your government.  I lost hope to a large extent when John Kennedy was assassinated and completely lost hope when Robert Kennedy was killed.  For the first time since that awful day, I actually feel that there could be positive change; that we can pull back from the disastrous path we have been heading for the past eight years, and to some extent through every administration since Lyndon Johnson.  I may get disappointed, but I'm going to enjoy this feeling while I can. 

January 19, 2009, 1:34 pm CST

Irony

I find it ironic that some of the questioning concerning President-elect Obama center around his ability to make good decisions and whether he is qualified for the position.    I have yet to hear you question the so-called "judgment" of President Bush regarding Iraq, Afghanistan, our economy, Gitmo, Torture, spying on Americans, etc., etc. etc. etc.  I would argue any decisions President-elect Obama will make cannot be any worse than the last 8 years.     Out of the gate the President-elect is reaching out to all to be "America's" president and not the President of 1/2 the country.

Thank you

January 19, 2009, 1:40 pm CST

Open Your Eyes

I was not surprised to hear the blonde young conservative female on the show say that the only reason Obama got elected was because of the hype surrounding him.  She, like so many other so-called conservatives, has not listened to one word Obama has said about what he wants to do for this country.  The issues were talked about endlessly, and to make a blanket statement saying that the only reason he got elected was because of the media hype is just very short sighted, and anyone who says this is very much in denial.  She also inferred that anyone who voted for Obama did not know the issues.  Give us some credit, will you?  We are not a bunch of lemmings falling over the cliff.  We know the issues (all things with the economy, which the Republicans so miserably failed at is the main one), and I'd like little miss conservative who thinks we are all idiots to get a clue about us.  Wake up, missy, and get with the program, because we are here, and you have to deal with us for at least the next 4 years. 

January 19, 2009, 1:55 pm CST

Quote From: emsantes21

you looked at both candidates and found what???....I hear people say this then never give examples. The fact the Howard Stern on his talked show asked people if they agreed with McCain's policies read them to the public then after they of course disagreed he told them that all the things he read were in the Obama plan proves MANY MANY people were making acknowledgeable choices! And that makes me very sad for my husband who puts his life at risk for people who are so against this war yet know only what the liberal media feeds them. And yes I am very angry, angry that a man who doesn't have the knowledge that McCain had is in office based on his popularity, and his face time on the nightly news. Obama had been in the senate for less than 100 days before running for office. Before that what was he doing running some community crap in his home town? I'm not hoping he fails..I'm hoping for my sons sake I'm wrong, but my heart of hearts knows this just isn't right. I don't dislike Obama I dislike the idiots that voted for him based on well....nothing!
You are making judgments about the "idiots" who voted for Obama based on what you gleaned from listening to Howard Stern? Seriously?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last