Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 15, 2009, 05:08:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The slogan "Yes, we can," and the words hope and change are the foundation and spirit of Barack Obama's platform. As the inauguration approaches and the optimism and excitement grows, so too grows the hype. The pressure on the President-elect is so enormous you may be wondering how even a strong man can withstand it. Hear from a range of commentators, from Washington insiders Ari Fleischer and Arianna Huffington to members of the millennium generation, and learn what they have to say about the campaign, the challenges Obama faces and the qualities he possesses that will help him succeed. And, what can this new first family expect as they move into a life that will certainly play out under the microscope? Then, see shocking photos showing how a couple terms in the White House may have aged previous presidents. Is Obama at risk of maturing twice as fast while commander-in-chief? Dr. Travis Stork, co-host of the hit series The Doctors, illustrates the toll stress can take on a president. Plus, a trend-spotter shares the biggest trends Americans can expect when a new period in history begins!  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2009, 1:57 pm CST

lol aging

the truth about aging with people of color is that, well, they age fairly different from other races.  they actually age a bit slower.  so the fact that they showed Obama looking the way they did is more than likely not going to be.

January 19, 2009, 2:03 pm CST

PRESSURES OF ATHE PRESIDENCY

I am so sorry that so many republicans are such poor losers.  During the past eight years I have never seen our president reach across party lines.  We now have a true leader that is willing to lead us all.  We all should be so proud.  I guarantee there are just as many people who voted for McCain who did not know his stand on many issues.  What you republicans should be doing is apologizing for the terrible shape that your party has left to be cleaned up.  I hear republicans wanting Obama to be held accountable, well if they would of required this of our current president, we might not have such a mess to clean up.  You are crying and wanting to be included,  our current president did not include the other side on any occasion.  It was known that if you were a republican and didn't agree with him, you too were ostracized.  Our newly elected president is a Harvard graduate.  You all act like is is a dummy. This man is by far one of our most intelligent presidents.  He has shown this by the people he has surrounded himself by.  No one man knows it all, I wish Bush had known this, but a smart man knows how to seek out the brightest stars that will illuminate him. 

The past administration was not a conservative one.  You can not call yourself a conservative and spend money the way they did.  And I stand firm, had there been white people on those roof tops in New Orleans, there would of been a different reaction.  Also Bush took us to war, congress only gave him the authority to do so if the situation warranted so.  He used that authority recklessly.   AMERICA has spoken and we did not have to have a recount...  In our history,  look at the two times that there was a controversy with votes, remember Florida and Ohio.  GOD BLESS OUR PRESIDENT AND UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

January 19, 2009, 2:14 pm CST

01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Quote From: thenewyear

I am so sick of hearing about this man and his family after the news stations throwing this election in our face for the last two years and now Dr. Phi has it on also.

CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN are so facinacinated about BO they seem he can do no wrong and walks on water. These news channels have been nothing but bias against all of the other Democrat and Republican candidates that were running for President that it makes me sick. BO is a good speech writer and speech maker, but that's the only experience I see he has over any of the other candidates that were running.

It will make no difference what mistakes he makes in the next four years, because any problems will still be blamed on President Bush even in 2012.

Thank goodness we still have a choice to use our remotes and watch Satelite TV because I wouldn't watch ONE MINUTE of today's show.

lol, the truth is that whatever has been blamed on GB is because he has no more than deserved it.  u have to be honest with yourself in accepting the fact that the man made plenty of mistakes.  regardless as to whether BO is going to be a great pres or not has little to do with how the after effect will still be lingering from GB. 

As an Amer. Cit.  I feel that change is mostly good here.  I have yet to see how it has negatively affected us as a people. 

a person, human being, that can sit and watch hundreds of ppl suffer and die the way they did in LA, and then to know how he ran to help others, i just cant believe that anyone would see the benefits of this.

Please don't watch the show if u get offended by the fact that the world is excited.  Please  don't turn your tv on 01/20 because the world with a few exceptions will be rejoicing.  Please don't walk outside, you may see BO on t-shirts or bumpers, maybe even hats.  Please don't inconvenience yourself with listening to the radio.

Did I happen to mention that BARACK OBAMA is my new PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 19, 2009, 2:22 pm CST

Quote From: rick414

I was not surprised to hear the blonde young conservative female on the show say that the only reason Obama got elected was because of the hype surrounding him.  She, like so many other so-called conservatives, has not listened to one word Obama has said about what he wants to do for this country.  The issues were talked about endlessly, and to make a blanket statement saying that the only reason he got elected was because of the media hype is just very short sighted, and anyone who says this is very much in denial.  She also inferred that anyone who voted for Obama did not know the issues.  Give us some credit, will you?  We are not a bunch of lemmings falling over the cliff.  We know the issues (all things with the economy, which the Republicans so miserably failed at is the main one), and I'd like little miss conservative who thinks we are all idiots to get a clue about us.  Wake up, missy, and get with the program, because we are here, and you have to deal with us for at least the next 4 years. 

Like I said, BO is a good speech maker. What he SAYS and what he DOES in the next four years can be two TOTALLY different things. He's already changed his mind about promises he made in his many speeches. Maybe his "CHANGE "campaign means he'll will continue to change his mind. 

January 19, 2009, 2:27 pm CST

Quote From: julie1418

You are making judgments about the "idiots" who voted for Obama based on what you gleaned from listening to Howard Stern? Seriously?

again I have to say there we go talking about things we know nothing about.  Did you know for sure whether or not what Howard Stern said was actually Barack Obama's intents?  Were you there to read the transcript?  The thing is most all people have family or know someone who is fighting for the freedom of the people.  Wrisking their lives for others.  So to think that you would call people idiots for wanting a new start, for wanting change speaks more about you as a person than it does for them. 

too often we judge people before giving them a chance.  the man deserves a chance.  stop looking at experience.  sometimes the best people for the job are the ones with the least experience because they have the most to prove, so they are willing to work harder and fight harder to ensure the least amounts of disappointment.

no one truly knows about tomorrow, and aren't you glad they don't.  let's take this thing one day at a time, it's really all we can do.

I pray for you loved one/s who are fighting, that they will be safe and that God will show them the love that few are willing to show Barack and others who support him.

January 19, 2009, 2:47 pm CST

Divisiveness never ends?

I am disappointed to note that the "young conservatives" both on the show today, and on this board, continue to promote divisiveness over all other things.  The two young people on the show stopped just short of calling everyone who voted for Obama ignorant.  How else could he have possibly won?  Those liberals are just uninformed celebrity hounds.  While these may not be the words spoken, this is the message conveyed - and the message that was intended to be conveyed.  The "liberal hate" from these individuals and others is offensive and most of this country is just plain tired of it.  Hence, the results of our election.  I can't take any of these people seriously unless and until they demonstrate that they can accept that the opinions of others can be informed and intelligent - even if, God forbid, those opinions differ from their own!

January 19, 2009, 2:51 pm CST

Cost of Inauguration=real change?

Regardless for whom you voted...why is there NO discussion over the cost of this inauguration? It was reported today that the cost was in excess of $160 Million (Bush Inauguration - $43 Million; Clinton Inauguration - 33 Million). It was also reported that tickets for some inaugural balls were as high as $50,000 per ticket. Now, I know this is a milestone and I am not saying there shouldn't be a celebration for the new President, but we are in a recession. President-Elect Obama himself has said that Washington needs to CHANGE...but makes me wonder...shouldn't CHANGE start at the top? What I am upset about is the fact that people are losing their jobs, their homes, their health care...company after company is going out of business, but if Washington can manage to come up with this kind of money for the Inauguration, why are we even in a recession? I just think there are some things that can be done without. I must say, my students brought up a very good point when we discussed this issue in class: they wondered, had John McCain been elected and $160 Million was spent on the Inauguration (because after all, it would have been the first female Vice President) would it still be ok? That made me think!  

January 19, 2009, 3:22 pm CST

First of all, Bush has not right to make any remarks on how Obama is leading this country. He has placed us all in financial burden, losing homes, and not to mention not responding quickly to Hurricane Katrina victims. I don't wish his last 8 years on anyone. But he is so far out of touch with this country and has been since 2001. We need to be fair with Barack. Yes he gets an abundence of media coverage, but what can I say he is popular. He has placed himself in todays world. He is up on the new technolgies, the music and the slang. He makes people feel like he is just an ordinary guy. Bush has never done that. He is so high on that horse of his that he never knew what it is like to be a hard working citizen of the U.S. I am a single, multiracial mother of a 5 yr old boy. I work my behind of just to provide for us. Bush knows nothing of a struggle.

This inaguration is a big deal for the african american culture. And it sickens me that people make comments about how he isn't black and they can't understand the hype. Well understand that African Americans have come along way. From Slavery, to segregation. My grandmother is bi-racial. And growing up she was considered black. On her birth certificate she is black. Myself the same. If you look at Baracks birth records....I bet u he is also considered BLACK! It is decusting that people can see others get ahead. You always have to make some excuse. Our 44th president is Black. GET OVER IT!!!!

January 19, 2009, 4:11 pm CST

Quote From: rangerman

I find it ironic that some of the questioning concerning President-elect Obama center around his ability to make good decisions and whether he is qualified for the position.    I have yet to hear you question the so-called "judgment" of President Bush regarding Iraq, Afghanistan, our economy, Gitmo, Torture, spying on Americans, etc., etc. etc. etc.  I would argue any decisions President-elect Obama will make cannot be any worse than the last 8 years.     Out of the gate the President-elect is reaching out to all to be "America's" president and not the President of 1/2 the country.

Thank you

Hmmm What about Iraq?? Should Bush ignored our Intel? and  4 other country providing the same intel  on Iraq and weapons of mass destuction just in case its wrong?? As for Afghanistan that what 7 years later and a better look. Gitmo ahhh waterboarding is torture right? what if it was your family about to be blown up 90 sec. of waterboarding could save their life, do you waterboad the terrorist or not and save your family and thousand more family love ones?

Lets not forget the Dems had the house the last 3 years and who did our founding fathers give the most power to do for the people they serve the Pres or the House? What Pres signed the fair housing act that put this country into this economy?  that would be Clinton back by the house. who voted down putting restriction on Fannie and Freddie 05 the Dems and Obama was one of them or maybe he just voted present lol. What Dem came out 6 months before the market crash and claimed Frannie and Freddie  companys had  small problems but strong and millions more invested in them and then the crash?? that would be Dem Franks.

who was the 2nd person to recieve the most monies from Freddie and Fannie? That would be Obama.

Obama himself was smack dabb in the middle of this hole mess  yet we should trust him why??? Or any of them .

What greatness has he shown? what great acts has he done? Whos lives has he ever effected? The people of south side of chicago? ask them what he did with the millions raised for their schools and did they see a dime of it? What community has he effected with this greatness? Ask the people of IL. did he keep his promises of lowering taxes? the answer will be NO.

Giving Obama a chance hmmmm, no I think he has to earn something before its just given, Our elected advocates including Obama have blown trust out of the water.

January 19, 2009, 4:29 pm CST

Quote From: mediateacher

Regardless for whom you voted...why is there NO discussion over the cost of this inauguration? It was reported today that the cost was in excess of $160 Million (Bush Inauguration - $43 Million; Clinton Inauguration - 33 Million). It was also reported that tickets for some inaugural balls were as high as $50,000 per ticket. Now, I know this is a milestone and I am not saying there shouldn't be a celebration for the new President, but we are in a recession. President-Elect Obama himself has said that Washington needs to CHANGE...but makes me wonder...shouldn't CHANGE start at the top? What I am upset about is the fact that people are losing their jobs, their homes, their health care...company after company is going out of business, but if Washington can manage to come up with this kind of money for the Inauguration, why are we even in a recession? I just think there are some things that can be done without. I must say, my students brought up a very good point when we discussed this issue in class: they wondered, had John McCain been elected and $160 Million was spent on the Inauguration (because after all, it would have been the first female Vice President) would it still be ok? That made me think!  

I have a feeling I have been AIGed again 160 million spent on a inauguration   What!! when our children will be paying off the 700 billion we just gave and can't be accounted for and the Trillion Obama says he needs fast to help this country out of the hole he and the others in Washington dug for us.

Trust Obama with our country??? yet with millions out of work and out of their homes he find it wise to spend 160 million dollars and partys on printed bills. WOW!!!!!! Wouldn't of it been smarter to spend less then ever on a inauguration sence we are billions in the hole, and the worst economy sence 1939 ?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last