Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 15, 2009, 05:08:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The slogan "Yes, we can," and the words hope and change are the foundation and spirit of Barack Obama's platform. As the inauguration approaches and the optimism and excitement grows, so too grows the hype. The pressure on the President-elect is so enormous you may be wondering how even a strong man can withstand it. Hear from a range of commentators, from Washington insiders Ari Fleischer and Arianna Huffington to members of the millennium generation, and learn what they have to say about the campaign, the challenges Obama faces and the qualities he possesses that will help him succeed. And, what can this new first family expect as they move into a life that will certainly play out under the microscope? Then, see shocking photos showing how a couple terms in the White House may have aged previous presidents. Is Obama at risk of maturing twice as fast while commander-in-chief? Dr. Travis Stork, co-host of the hit series The Doctors, illustrates the toll stress can take on a president. Plus, a trend-spotter shares the biggest trends Americans can expect when a new period in history begins!  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2009, 4:33 pm CST

01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Quote From: julie1418

You are making judgments about the "idiots" who voted for Obama based on what you gleaned from listening to Howard Stern? Seriously?
No! Thats was just an example of how stupid people can be I'm making my judgement based on the fact they voted for him and he has ZERO experience! Read all of my post not just pieces!

January 19, 2009, 4:54 pm CST

Quote From: rick414

I was not surprised to hear the blonde young conservative female on the show say that the only reason Obama got elected was because of the hype surrounding him.  She, like so many other so-called conservatives, has not listened to one word Obama has said about what he wants to do for this country.  The issues were talked about endlessly, and to make a blanket statement saying that the only reason he got elected was because of the media hype is just very short sighted, and anyone who says this is very much in denial.  She also inferred that anyone who voted for Obama did not know the issues.  Give us some credit, will you?  We are not a bunch of lemmings falling over the cliff.  We know the issues (all things with the economy, which the Republicans so miserably failed at is the main one), and I'd like little miss conservative who thinks we are all idiots to get a clue about us.  Wake up, missy, and get with the program, because we are here, and you have to deal with us for at least the next 4 years. 

Hey little miss conservative here! First off, what does the fact that I'm blonde have to do with anything? Second, all of you are defending his policy yet no one has said what that policy is other than "change"...I suppose is 160million party he is throwing is gonna boost our economy! Also, you forget that CLINTON has alot to do with the economy...ya know when he was handing out "free" houses!...that turned out to not be so free! In 2003 Bush tried to but a cap on the housing loan problem ,but the mostly democat house senate congress vetoed it everytime. So who's really at fault here....don't worry its not Obama..he wasn't anywhere around the Senate then.  Come live army life for a bit, some see how pissed our soldiers are that this is happening come hear the stories at how other countries are laughing at us that we have a quote "terrorist" in office! (there words not mine). You can have the change I'll keep my freedom ,to say how I feel, and THAT my friend is what this country so great! I'll say how I feel loud and proud don't like it don't read it live in your fairytale world that he's gonna make such a HUGE difference because past presidents have proven thats always what happens.

Ignorant "blonde" conservative

January 19, 2009, 4:58 pm CST

Totally Agree!

Quote From: mediateacher

Regardless for whom you voted...why is there NO discussion over the cost of this inauguration? It was reported today that the cost was in excess of $160 Million (Bush Inauguration - $43 Million; Clinton Inauguration - 33 Million). It was also reported that tickets for some inaugural balls were as high as $50,000 per ticket. Now, I know this is a milestone and I am not saying there shouldn't be a celebration for the new President, but we are in a recession. President-Elect Obama himself has said that Washington needs to CHANGE...but makes me wonder...shouldn't CHANGE start at the top? What I am upset about is the fact that people are losing their jobs, their homes, their health care...company after company is going out of business, but if Washington can manage to come up with this kind of money for the Inauguration, why are we even in a recession? I just think there are some things that can be done without. I must say, my students brought up a very good point when we discussed this issue in class: they wondered, had John McCain been elected and $160 Million was spent on the Inauguration (because after all, it would have been the first female Vice President) would it still be ok? That made me think!  
Amen! I posted about this earlier and received an angry response accusing me of racism! HUH? Since when did the price of an inauguration have anything to do with race? People who cry out "racism!" over every little thing drive me nuts. They don't help their cause at all and only turn people off from trying to have a real discussion.

I am also curious as to why this enormous cost is not an outrage to people? What exactly does $160 million buy? I'm very skeptical of Obama as it is, this just makes me wonder more. Where is this money coming from in the first place? Your post is excellent - I can only imagine the outcry if McCain had won and was spending this lavish amount. He'd be run out of town! Why is it okay for Obama to waste this kind of taxpayer dollar?

January 19, 2009, 5:08 pm CST

Embarressed for you

Quote From: getrealtime

I have a feeling I have been AIGed again 160 million spent on a inauguration   What!! when our children will be paying off the 700 billion we just gave and can't be accounted for and the Trillion Obama says he needs fast to help this country out of the hole he and the others in Washington dug for us.

Trust Obama with our country??? yet with millions out of work and out of their homes he find it wise to spend 160 million dollars and partys on printed bills. WOW!!!!!! Wouldn't of it been smarter to spend less then ever on a inauguration sence we are billions in the hole, and the worst economy sence 1939 ?

You need to write the White House that  is responsible for this mess in the first place. I am sure if president Obama decides not to lend anymore money and you and the rest of our country goes completely broke that will obviously be PRESIDENT Obama's fault too. Correct? Grow up and get your facts straight. You are all only talking about the cost of the Inauguration to take focus off who got the country in the mess in the first place.

January 19, 2009, 5:09 pm CST

Quote From: emsantes21

No! Thats was just an example of how stupid people can be I'm making my judgement based on the fact they voted for him and he has ZERO experience! Read all of my post not just pieces!
I HAVE read your posts and quite frankly, they just seem like a whole lot of sour grapes to me. Welcome to Democracy...your guy doesn't always win and you don't always get your way. The example you gave of the idiocy of Obama voters was incredibly weak....the sample was people willing to be interviewed by Howard Stern. You are going to have to come up with something more substantial...you come across like someone living in a glass house throwing idiot stones!

January 19, 2009, 5:20 pm CST

Hey little miss conservative here! First off, what does the fact that I'm blonde have to do with anything? Second, all of you are defending his policy yet no one has said what that policy is other than "change"...I suppose is 160million party he is throwing is gonna boost our economy! Also, you forget that CLINTON has alot to do with the economy...ya know when he was handing out "free" houses!...that turned out to not be so free! In 2003 Bush tried to but a cap on the housing loan problem ,but the mostly democat house senate congress vetoed it everytime. So who's really at fault here....don't worry its not Obama..he wasn't anywhere around the Senate then.  Come live army life for a bit, some see how pissed our soldiers are that this is happening come hear the stories at how other countries are laughing at us that we have a quote "terrorist" in office! (there words not mine). You can have the change I'll keep my freedom ,to say how I feel, and THAT my friend is what this country so great! I'll say how I feel loud and proud don't like it don't read it live in your fairytale world that he's gonna make such a HUGE difference because past presidents have proven thats always what happens.

In 2003, both the House and the Senate was controlled by the Republican party.

The legislation signed by Clinton lowered the standards to allow home ownership, but that is not the single impetus that led to the housing crisis. The lack of regulation of lenders allowed institutions to lend money beyond what Clinton's legislation called for...these lenders were bundling the loans and selling them as derivatives. The initial lenders were making a boat load of money selling the loans, not caring that the loans would probably not be paid off...the initial lender was way out of the picture before the loans defaulted. The demand for these derivatives, while the housing market was hot, was so high that lenders themselves were qualifying people for way too much debt. that was not the initial intent of the housing legislation passed by Clinton. Regulation needs to grow and change with changing circumstances...there is no way to foresee all possible outcomes. There is a LOT of blame to go around....for BOTH parties....but Clinton was pretty much out of the picture before the housing issue started to snowball.

Do you think you are the only person who knows people in other countries? I highly doubt most foreigners see Obama as a terrorist. That is simply slander put out by vindictive partisans....can you name a single act of terror that Obama has engaged in? Our credibility abroad has been very low under the Bush administration. What freedoms do you think you are about to lose?

January 19, 2009, 6:37 pm CST

Hold on!!

First of you are right "blonde" has nothing to do with it. But being a woman does. Do you know that women are still not paid equally to men doing the same job in this country? Do you know who has been holding this up for years in the legislation? Democrats? NO REPUBLICANS!!  Do you even have a job? If you do then you have not been  there for very long.  I can speak on the behalf of women (of all races) since I have been in the work force 30 years. It is very frustrating to be in a job for years and then you find out your male counter part is making more than you. And you trained them!  But now with Obama in office you will probably never have to face that battle. Lucky you!! It is funny to me the only thing you can all throw out is the Inauguration dollar amount.  You seem to  have forgotten  the mess this country is in because of your party. Oh you can blame Clinton all you want.   But Clinton did more good than bad for this country. Believe it or not I was once upon a time a republican. Now I consider myself Independent. Give yourself 30 years. You might change your mind or maybe not.  All the women in my family have. I hope it is President Obama that changes your mind.  Not about what party you support but about how he can lead this country. So give him a chance. It is up to all of us to make this nation better. So start looking for the positive instead of the negative. He is a Great Leader. He is going to do Great things for our country.  I just know it. Of course you will probably never admit it. He could call the inauguration off tomorrow and you would find something else. I know how you republicans are. Remember I grew up as one before I had a chance to make my own informed decisions. By informed I mean living and working as a woman in this country (30 +years). You think you know who you are right now...but in the future you will find you were incorrect.

January 19, 2009, 6:58 pm CST

Inspiration.

It is true that many Obama supporters do not know the specifics of his plans and views, however, many do.  Even though Obama's teenager-targeted "adverstising" won votes of people unaware of most of his views, it  encouraged many  young people to obtain a curiousity about the election and politics.  I respect him, for spreading the statement that it's cool to care about our nation.

January 19, 2009, 7:33 pm CST

I think it's great that we have a black president for the first time, I wish there were more before him, and hope that there are many after him.   Having said that, I do disagree with a lot of his values, and it's too bad he doesn't have the values of the great man who, really, opened the door for this to be possible--MLKjr. 

Sadly, I think a lot of african americans voted for him simpley because he was black; i'm not saying everyone, so don't get me wrong.  Anyhow...even though I don't agree with many of his values, I hope he does great and I wish him the best. 

January 19, 2009, 7:34 pm CST

age progression of the new president/young Americans

Dr. Phil,

I truly doubt our new president will age dramatically over the next 4 years. Obama may look that way at 90 not at 51-52 years of age; I think he will look the same. It's about genetics (and not sunbathing with baby oil - your show or the Doctors she do a segment on this...maybe the young people will get a clue about what their skin will look like in 10-20 years with the constant tanning and sunbathing). My grandmother was a youthful looking women when she died at the age of 102 - similar parental background.

Also, just need to comment about the two young Republicans on the show - they sounded more like a sound byte they heard from the media - remember the debates...I do understand Senator McCann.

I believe Obama has more depth at his age than most of the senators in Washington. He has been repeatedly underestimated.

I was on the fence with Obama initially because he appeared to be too liberal...but McCann solidified my vote with the selection of Palin...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last