Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 15, 2009, 05:08:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The slogan "Yes, we can," and the words hope and change are the foundation and spirit of Barack Obama's platform. As the inauguration approaches and the optimism and excitement grows, so too grows the hype. The pressure on the President-elect is so enormous you may be wondering how even a strong man can withstand it. Hear from a range of commentators, from Washington insiders Ari Fleischer and Arianna Huffington to members of the millennium generation, and learn what they have to say about the campaign, the challenges Obama faces and the qualities he possesses that will help him succeed. And, what can this new first family expect as they move into a life that will certainly play out under the microscope? Then, see shocking photos showing how a couple terms in the White House may have aged previous presidents. Is Obama at risk of maturing twice as fast while commander-in-chief? Dr. Travis Stork, co-host of the hit series The Doctors, illustrates the toll stress can take on a president. Plus, a trend-spotter shares the biggest trends Americans can expect when a new period in history begins!  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 25, 2009, 10:03 am CST

You missed the point

Quote From: ramair

President Bush didn't leave African-Americans to die in New Orleans. Their own mayor and governor did. In fact, President Bush called Governor Blanco 3 days before Katrina made landfall and told her a major hurricane was headed for the Gulf Coast and she needed to start an immediate evacuation, especially of New Orleans. She, and Nagin did nothing. By the time they even began thinking about evacuating New Orleans, all the buses were already under water. And, Dr Phil did do shows about New Orleans after Katrina hit. Three days of shows a few weeks after. And, at least one other show a years later. Anyway, it isn't Dr Phil's place to criticize Presidents Bush or Obama.
Careful reading would have explained that I said Dr. Phil did not do shows regarding THE BUSH PRESIDENTCY in 2001, not shows regarding Hurricane Katrina.
I have said before, Dr. Phil's efforts on behalf of Katrina victims, and other people having a hard time, are legend and are to be applauded.
My point was a political one.  He presents far-right wing ideaologues as mainstream pundits and matches them against light-weights on the other side.  I noticed no retort to this point.
And the failures in Katrina were shared by many.  The mayor, governor, President, police department, FEMA, etc all had responsibility.  However, as most people know, a catastrophe the level of Katrina can ONLY be met by the full force of the US through it's federal government.  And the quintessential quote "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" is symptomatic of an adminstration more worried about loyalty and ideology than competence.
If it makes you feel better to only blame people you disagree with politically then good for you, but part of the reason this country is in the place it is derives from that thinking.
And while you say it's not Dr. Phil's place to ciriticize either president, having people like the guests you have do it for you creates the same skewed view.

January 28, 2009, 3:13 pm CST

01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Quote From: hartsda

Careful reading would have explained that I said Dr. Phil did not do shows regarding THE BUSH PRESIDENTCY in 2001, not shows regarding Hurricane Katrina.
I have said before, Dr. Phil's efforts on behalf of Katrina victims, and other people having a hard time, are legend and are to be applauded.
My point was a political one.  He presents far-right wing ideaologues as mainstream pundits and matches them against light-weights on the other side.  I noticed no retort to this point.
And the failures in Katrina were shared by many.  The mayor, governor, President, police department, FEMA, etc all had responsibility.  However, as most people know, a catastrophe the level of Katrina can ONLY be met by the full force of the US through it's federal government.  And the quintessential quote "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" is symptomatic of an adminstration more worried about loyalty and ideology than competence.
If it makes you feel better to only blame people you disagree with politically then good for you, but part of the reason this country is in the place it is derives from that thinking.
And while you say it's not Dr. Phil's place to ciriticize either president, having people like the guests you have do it for you creates the same skewed view.

Most of your criticisms of President Bush, I didn't find objectionable.

Until I came across your comment on him leaving blacks to drown after Katrina.

President Bush did call Governor Blanco and warned her that a major hurricane would make landfall along the Gulf  within 72 hours and recommended that she order a mandatory evacuation of the Louisiana coast, especially the below-sea-level city of New Orleans.

Instead, Mayor Nagin designated the Superdome as a storm shelter. Which I thought was a really dumb idea. What if Katrina took the roof off? 

Then, when New Orleans escaped the full brunt of Katrina, everyone thought the were home free.

Until the levees broke. Then it was too late. Buses that could have carried the evacuees to safety were under water.

As for another criticism of President Bush, his delay in sending the National Guard to restore order? Federal law prevents the National Guard from being sent unless the governor requests it. As soon as Governor Blanco got around to asking President Bush to send the National Guard, he sent them. 

If the Bush administration was "more worried about loyalty and ideology" than competence, his wasn't the first, nor will it be the last. We've seen this in the Clinton administration. And, we'll probably see it in the Obama administration. As well as the next.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page