Message Boards

Topic : 01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 15, 2009, 05:08:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The slogan "Yes, we can," and the words hope and change are the foundation and spirit of Barack Obama's platform. As the inauguration approaches and the optimism and excitement grows, so too grows the hype. The pressure on the President-elect is so enormous you may be wondering how even a strong man can withstand it. Hear from a range of commentators, from Washington insiders Ari Fleischer and Arianna Huffington to members of the millennium generation, and learn what they have to say about the campaign, the challenges Obama faces and the qualities he possesses that will help him succeed. And, what can this new first family expect as they move into a life that will certainly play out under the microscope? Then, see shocking photos showing how a couple terms in the White House may have aged previous presidents. Is Obama at risk of maturing twice as fast while commander-in-chief? Dr. Travis Stork, co-host of the hit series The Doctors, illustrates the toll stress can take on a president. Plus, a trend-spotter shares the biggest trends Americans can expect when a new period in history begins!  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 15, 2009, 5:43 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Of Phil Presidency Pressures The. As you know that President Barack OBama will at Nation Capi--

tol on Tuesday Janurary 20th, 2009. See you on Moonday Janurary 19th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell----

Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 17, 2009, 6:46 pm CST

01/19 Pressures of the Presidency

God Bless Barack Obama! 

January 18, 2009, 6:27 am CST

Watching the hype from Canada

I think the way Americans hype everything and anything to do with their president is sad, ridiculous and terrible.  The very second you're elected your privacy, your freedom and and all the rights "ordinary" people have vanish.  You can't do ANYTHING without some stupid, evil stalkarazzi taking ten pictures and  plastering them all over tabloids. And WHO CARES if Obama isn't that good at basketball?? WHO CARES what kind of dog he wants to get for his children?? When the tabloids screamed out that he was supposedly Muslim my reaction was pretty much "so what if he is you paranoid bunch of racists??"

It's so completely different in Canada.  It's really just not a big deal to us what the Prime Minister's personal life is like. We really couldn't care less about his hobbies, interests, his family life or sex life.

Heck, we don't even really know if the Prime Minister has even ever HAD sex and we don't really care if he hasn't! :) 

January 18, 2009, 7:40 pm CST

It is VERY sad..  we have NEVER had a President be on the cover of all the celebrity mags. It disgusts me how my country has chosen fame over knowledge.  But I guess because I'm an educated conservative my opinion is unimportant since its the fad to be liberal these days. What my concern is when the cool wears off and reality sets in! Whats gonna happen when all the uneducated voters realize what a ridiculous choice they've made. HMMMMM .....decorated war veteran who knows first hand about war and probably has the most intense understanding of its horrible effects or...young hip HALF black man with no knowledge what so ever of war.....Yeah we made the right choice! I would have no problem with the "chosen one" had it be one based on his ability to lead not his color! This is not a fete for our country, it doesn't show how far we have come....it shows how terrified we are to go against the grain. Just because one republican made some mistakes doesn't mean they all will. And damn it it doesn't make me ignorant for being conservative.

Angry 22 year old and wife of a soldier

January 19, 2009, 6:58 am CST

HOPE IS NOT SOMETHING NEW

I am not one hoping to see a failed Obama Presidency. I just have to wonder though , why the point is being pushed that hope is lost and only he can bring it back . His election is being promoted as proof that America can be great again. America has always been great and that is not because of who is or is not President. it is because of the people who live here. Our hope is not built on or dependent on the President but on our ability as a people to do what needs to be done. If hope was built on a President then we would be entering a period where hope is not revived but just flip flopped to those who support the incoming President.

January 19, 2009, 7:00 am CST

arriana huff an puff

It isn't bad enough we have hear all about how the "annointed one", but we also have to listen to the "annoying one", Arriana Huff and Puff.  This shrew can't even admit  that "He" can Age!  I wish she would return to whatever country sent her to socialize America - her mission is accomplished.

January 19, 2009, 7:29 am CST

Quote From: doomsdaydiva

I think the way Americans hype everything and anything to do with their president is sad, ridiculous and terrible.  The very second you're elected your privacy, your freedom and and all the rights "ordinary" people have vanish.  You can't do ANYTHING without some stupid, evil stalkarazzi taking ten pictures and  plastering them all over tabloids. And WHO CARES if Obama isn't that good at basketball?? WHO CARES what kind of dog he wants to get for his children?? When the tabloids screamed out that he was supposedly Muslim my reaction was pretty much "so what if he is you paranoid bunch of racists??"

It's so completely different in Canada.  It's really just not a big deal to us what the Prime Minister's personal life is like. We really couldn't care less about his hobbies, interests, his family life or sex life.

Heck, we don't even really know if the Prime Minister has even ever HAD sex and we don't really care if he hasn't! :) 

I am from Maine - been to Canada many times.  It's no picnic either.  As a Police Officer I could not be armed in Canada.  A civilian has no chance.  We care about issues of the character and integrity of our leadership because, as a "superpower" we have to.  A man who cannot be trusted to tell his wife the truth, cannot be trusted to lead a country that sets (or at least used to) the example for the rest of world.  Did we select one?  History will tell but we sure did put a good man (John MCcain) through the wringer.  This is a man who gave all he had to his country.  If you don't like his politics don't vote for him but he surely didn't deserve what he got.  As to Diva - well if you don't like it stay in Canada.

P.S. - concerns about his alleged "muslim" routes were touted by a few rednecks and not the American people.

January 19, 2009, 7:30 am CST

obama

I think the new president shouild be treated the same as all other past presidents in their first 100 days.

Everybody screams about equal rights, well need i say anymore.

Why should he be treated any different that the others?  He wanted this job, so let the games begin.

January 19, 2009, 7:39 am CST

Quote From: doomsdaydiva

Dear Canada,

It wouldn't occur to me to make any form of judgment on a Country that I do not live in. You obviously are basing your opinions on what the US media has decided to show you. We have a few houses for sale, so if you are interested, move here and earn the right to make a comment about my Country.

January 19, 2009, 7:40 am CST

Quote From: ratherbsurfing

God Bless Barack Obama! 

May the Lord bless all of His children...not just one, and may all we do bring Him the honor and glory He deserves.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last