Message Boards

Topic : 01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:54:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Social networking Web sites like Facebook and MySpace are great for meeting people, but they’re also the source of much controversy. Do the dangers of these sites outweigh their benefits? Dr. Phil takes a look at the latest issues to crop up on the digital frontier. He begins with 17-year-old Ashley, who says her mother, Janet, obsessively controls her Facebook account and also harasses her friends online. Janet says she’s witnessed disturbing things on these Web sites, and she’s not about to let Ashley get into trouble. In trying to keep her daughter safe, has the concerned mom gone too far, or not far enough? Dr. Phil’s opinion might surprise you. Then, Facebook doesn’t allow pictures of bare bosoms to grace its pages – but what if the breast that’s bared belongs to a nursing mom? See the picture that caused a firestorm of controversy, and judge for yourself whether it’s obscene. Plus, meet a woman who spent 11 months in an intimate Facebook relationship with someone she thought was actor Matthew Perry from the show Friends. When she found out the true identity of her digital paramour, you won’t believe what happened next. Before you grant your next online friend request, you’ll want to check out this show!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 21, 2009, 2:36 pm CST

YOU MIGHT BE DELUSIONAL IF......

Food for thought for all of you who think a movie star would take the time to bother with any of us mere mortals: there's milk and then there's cream. 95% of us are skim milk.  3% are whole milk. Only 2% are cream...which do you think they prefer?

You might be deluding yourself IF:

1. you look in the mirror and a clone of either Brad Pitt or Paris Hilton isn't staring back at you.

2: If you haven't been invited to any A List parties lately.

3. If you haven't made any really big movies in Hollywood.

4. If nowhere on Broadway does your name appear in lights.

5. If you haven't made several hit records.

6. If you don't have a whole entourage following you around.

7. If when you call an exclusive hotel or top A List restaurant for reservations no one knows or cares who you are, and you couldn't get in for any amount of money!

8. If you don't drive the most expensive car on the planet, (have 5 more just like it at home,) live in a mansion in LaLa Land or New York, or wear jewelry that costs an obscene amount of money.....it's a pretty good bet you're just skim milk like the rest of us, so do yourself a favor and get into the REAL world!!

January 21, 2009, 2:38 pm CST

facebook and breastfeeding picture

I am shocked to see the reaction of Facebook in that story. I cannot believe that in 2009 we are still making a big deal of a mother nursing her child. If I recall correctly, the picture didn't even show any part of the aureole or neither the niple. I guess, what is shocking me is: we see more skin and body part, young girls in very subjective positions, right on TV and magazine and nobody is saying much about it.

I am a Facebook user and half of my friends are from overseas( Europe) where I lived for a while. The exposure of some body part is a culture thing. Some part of France, on the beach women can wear only a monokini without to be a big deal. Breast are exposed. I understand that in United States it is different but as far as I know, the internet is not an "american own"  network. Facebook is available for everyone across the planet. So who are they to make a judgement on a picture showing a partial  part of the breast of a women doing a natural thing...nursing her child. If breastfeeding is shocking for some people, they are not obligated to watch!

This girl was sending a picture to a friend on facebook and the people who did complained about the photo didn't have to watch it. Just browse somewhere else! 

I hope mothers across the planet will join together to make this idea of breastfeeding a natural thing!

From a mother who did breastfed her baby and proud of it (even in public!)

January 21, 2009, 2:44 pm CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

Sorry, but I just don't want to see ANYone's boob hanging out....and a baby attached to it doesn't make it any more attractive....it's just not a pretty sight,  and it doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Yuck!!

Have a bit of class and keep it private. (You can express your milk and put it into a bottle for those times you are out in public...why shove it in everyone else's face?)  

January 21, 2009, 2:52 pm CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

I raised three kids by myself and believe me, I checked up on them....it was my job!  They got away with VERY little......My house, my rules!

Too many parents are wimps and allow their kids way too much "privacy" and freedom, with sometimes tragic results. 

Having said that, I also have to say that this mom was WAY over the top, all the way to ridiculous!

There IS a happy medium, and common sense should be your guide.  

January 21, 2009, 2:52 pm CST

I don't understand

what is so obscene about breastfeeding?   It's simply feeding a baby, and if the mother is not running around yelling "look at my breasts" while feeding, why is this an issue?   If a woman breastfeeding her baby is obscene because of the potential for seeing an "aerola & nipple" - shouldn't photos of men without shirts also be banned???   Obviously, without a shirt - aerolas & nipples are showing.   LOL 

Understand, I see no problem with either scenario.     If it's not hurting anyone, and you have the choice to look or not look at it, and it's not obscenely posted without both parties' consent (such as sexual pictures), is it a really big deal??" 

January 21, 2009, 3:10 pm CST

the internet is dangerous to people who have no idea what they are doing

You all have to know that the internet is dangerous to people who shop online every day, stuff like that. when you are a responsible person who lets no one have your personal information you are safe. when you take the time to learn the dangers, you avoid them. that's what i know and I know I am right because the only thing i ever talk about in chatrooms is the lord and why i love him the way i do.

January 21, 2009, 3:20 pm CST

Annoyed

Dr. Phil did a great job with sensationalizing this issue for already concerned parents. Anything is dangerous if the user lacks common sense. It's like blaming guns for killing people.

January 21, 2009, 3:21 pm CST

breastfeeding mom

I am a nursing mom as well and I see nothing wrong with nursing our babies in public at all.  Nursing our babies is the most natural thing we can do for them and the quickest way to bond with them as well.  And something else:  the longer a woman nurse her baby; the more she decreases her risk for breast cancer.  And we know what is in our milk.  We are the only country in the world that thinks nursing in public is taboo.  Makes me so mad.  People get a clue, if a bottle feeding mom can feed her baby in public then so should a nursing mom.  We should have the same rights as a bottle feeding mom.

January 21, 2009, 3:21 pm CST

Breast Feeding Photos on the Internet

I am pro breast feeding, and I feel that women should be able to feed their babies wherever and whenever they would like.  We are far too uptight about breasts and we should eliminate the stigma attached to them naked.  It is ridiculous and damaging for us to feel the way we do about them.
However, I am not a supporter of mothers posting their breast feeding photos on the internet, and here is why...
Imagine that you are breast feeding in the mall, or the subway or wherever, and a man approaches and starts taking photos of you from only a couple of feet away.  When asked what he is doing, he tells you he is going to go home and use them for sexual purposes.  What would that mother do?  She would have him arrested if possible - and rightly so.
By posting those photos, some of them so close up and in detail, on the internet they are allowing those people who want to use them for sexual purposes to get all the fuel they need.  And they no longer have to risk getting in trouble over it.  You are handing them what they want without any effort on their part, and with no risk of being exposed for it.
Sure, you are always risking someone doing it anyway, but I am sure that they would be smart enough to be so far away that they would never get that level of detail.  They would need to be almost in their face to get that much of a detailed picture as those being posted on the internet.
I am not suggesting that we stop doing what is natural because we are forced to live with creeps and criminals in our society, but why do something to help them out?  Let them risk getting caught and arrested if they want those types of pictures.
I don't know why any woman would put themselves, and especially their infants, in that position.

January 21, 2009, 3:24 pm CST

Out of Control Kids!!!

I am very concerned with the actions of kids today and the belief that they have all of the rights.  Yes you need to show your kids respect, but respect is earned. I have 3 daughters that I believe need to be protected from the predators that search the Internet looking for the innocent and unsuspecting.  If you don't try in some way to protect them it is the same as allowing them to stand on the side of the road and hoping that one of the degenerates doesn't stop by and pick them up.  For to long parents have stood by and watched as the values and morals of the next generations have declined at an alarming rate.  The children of today have an almost limitless amount of sources for gaining and sharing information, (ie. Internet, cell phones, & text messages) and these are knowledge.  A popular slogan once said that "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER," but we must remember "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY."  If we are going to place this "RESPONSIBILITY" on their shoulders, we must make sure that they are able to handle it.  When we do not prepare them correctly and instruct them in the correct paths we are doing nothing but setting them up for failure!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last