Message Boards

Topic : 01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:54:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Social networking Web sites like Facebook and MySpace are great for meeting people, but they’re also the source of much controversy. Do the dangers of these sites outweigh their benefits? Dr. Phil takes a look at the latest issues to crop up on the digital frontier. He begins with 17-year-old Ashley, who says her mother, Janet, obsessively controls her Facebook account and also harasses her friends online. Janet says she’s witnessed disturbing things on these Web sites, and she’s not about to let Ashley get into trouble. In trying to keep her daughter safe, has the concerned mom gone too far, or not far enough? Dr. Phil’s opinion might surprise you. Then, Facebook doesn’t allow pictures of bare bosoms to grace its pages – but what if the breast that’s bared belongs to a nursing mom? See the picture that caused a firestorm of controversy, and judge for yourself whether it’s obscene. Plus, meet a woman who spent 11 months in an intimate Facebook relationship with someone she thought was actor Matthew Perry from the show Friends. When she found out the true identity of her digital paramour, you won’t believe what happened next. Before you grant your next online friend request, you’ll want to check out this show!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 21, 2009, 3:26 pm CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

The  myspace Mum is CRAZY!

If she is so concerned she should get a Nanny program for the computer. It'll block out anything that the Mum wants blocked. Being a helicopter parent in any respect it ain't good for the kids.

I dated a dude with a Mum like that, it was almost as if I was dating her.

January 21, 2009, 3:27 pm CST

I Agree with calling these people CRAZY 2!

The first woman was a lil crazy, but I understand where she was coming from. She just crossed the line. She was alright to a point then she just got crazy.

The breast feeding woman was a nut. That something you do in the privacy of your own home with you & your baby. I hope I am not the only one when I say this, but is there an age limit when it comes to breast feeding as well? I havn't had any kids yet, but I'm pretty sure you stop after a certain age right? I'm not gonna be breast feeding my 2-4 yr. old child...at the park....on the internet...! Wow. Enough said with her.

Last but not least, we have the woman who thinks she was "dating" Matthew Perry. I feel bad for her. I can't believe she really thought that. I didn't know whether to bust out laughing, or feel truly bad for this woman. Can anyone honestly believe that any celebrity that approves you as their friend on MySpace/Facebook is REALLY talking to you. I knew somebody was having a field day with that woman. Turned out to be a 16 yr. old girl in London falling in love with her...ouch. The more I tihnk about it the more I don't feel bad. Thats just ridiculous. Well gotta go. Eminem & I are going to a movie... 

January 21, 2009, 3:28 pm CST

Facebook Mom

That mother is just trying to hang on as long as she can.  She seems like she is bored at home and doesn't have anything to do at home but be up her 17 years behind.  Doesn't seem like the daughter has done anything to make her be mistrusted therefore why would the mom be invading her space?  Which one is 17?

January 21, 2009, 3:35 pm CST

Breastfeeding

I breast fed my son. It was a wonderful and bonding experience. However, it was also a private experience. When shopping I used dressing rooms or restrooms to feed my son. Could I have done it with a blanket thrown over him? Yes, but I also respect that not everyone is comfortable with breast feeding. People knew I breast fed because I was honest about it, not because I had to show them. I encouraged questions and gave honest answers even when male coworkers had questions. The Internet is NOT a safe and appropriate place to show breast feeding pictures even if it doesn't show a nipple. People need to remember no matter what safe guards they set up in their computer there is always going to be somebody out there who is smarter and can hack through those safe guards.

January 21, 2009, 3:36 pm CST

Breastfeeding Mom

That mom needs to quit breastfeeding...that toddler is too old for it!!  For goodness sakes I don't know a pediatrician that would recommend still doing that past a year of age.  Its a great thing for BABIES...not toddlers.  Do it in private, no one wants to see it, just you do.

January 21, 2009, 4:02 pm CST

Wild Wild Web epispode

I really wanted to watch this episode because I wanted to see what was said and of course how Dr. Phil responded.  My daughter is 14. She wanted a My Space page so bad.  My husband and I are both computer savvy, and I said no to My Space, but I compromised with her and allowed her to have a Facebook account (I have one as well for my own friends).  My only rule is that she and I are each others friends.  I have never violated her trust, or privacy, but I can see what other people write to her and would talk to her if I saw something innappriate.  Since I have never violated that trust, she is happy to be open with me.  If I ever saw anything inappropriate on her page either by her or by someone else, the first thing I would do would be to talk to her about it, not go behind her back to her friends.  That is the surest way to have a teenager start hiding things from you.  We would sit down and decide what to do together.  The mom that answered the texts and tattled on her daughters friends has lost the trust of her daughter.  And when she said they used to be close, but she feels like she is losing her that is because she is.  The way to build strong adult relationships with your kids is to communicate with them, allow them to have privacy within reason, don't try and be their friends, but don't try and be a dictator either. 

January 21, 2009, 4:03 pm CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

I think that mom was on the right track.  There way too many parents who are not watching their kids only.  I don't she should pretend to be her daughter.  If there was something going with my kids online I would want to know.   Her daughter's even said the got new pages just so her mom could not see what they where doing?  If they are hiding nothing then what is the big deal

January 21, 2009, 6:29 pm CST

Does anyone else know?

Where was Robin today????  I thought she hasn't missed a show and always walks off stage with Dr. Phil.  I didn't see her the whole entire episode.  Is she promoting her new book or something?

January 21, 2009, 6:41 pm CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

Quote From: sdiogene23

SHE SAID THAT ASHLEY IS STARTING TO DO THE NASTY THINGS THAT HER NASTY FRIENDS ARE DOING. TAKING SEXY PICTURES, KISSING EACH OTHER, TAKING SHOWERS TOGETHER AND TAKING PICTURES OF IT!!!! THAT IS GROSS AND SHE HAS ALL THE RIGHT TO TRY AND CONTROL HER DAUGHTER. HER DAUGHTER WAS STARTING TO BULLY OTHER GIRLS ONLINE LIKE HER FRIENDS DO. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TEENS KILL THEMSELVES AFTER BEING BULLIED ONLINE? A WOMAN GOT 25 YEARS FOR TAKING PART IN BULLYING A GIRL HER TEEN DAUGHTER WAS BULLYING ONLINE. JANET IS MAKING SURE THAT HER KID DOESN'T END UP IN JAIL. IF ASHLEY CAN PUNCH HER MOM IN THE EYE, WHO KNOWS WHAT SHE IS DOING. IF MY MOM PULLED MY LEG I WOULDN'T DARE LIFT MY HAND TO HER, WE WOULD HAVE NEVER GOT TO THE POINT WHERE WE WERE ACTUALLY FIGHTING!!!! DEAR GOD! WHERE IS THE RESPECT?? DR. PHIL NEEDS TO GET REAL!!!! THE ONLY ADVICE HE NEEDS TO GIVE THIS MOM, IS TELLING HER TO PULL HER PAGES OFFLINE AND TO PULL ASHLEY'S PAGES OFFLINE UNTIL SHE IS IN COLLEGE IF SHE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT SHE SEE'S ONLINE. NONE OF THE TEENS IN MY FAMILY HAVE MYSPACE OR FACEBOOK, IN FACT THEY THINK IT'S CORNY AND BORING NOW. OTHER THAN THAT, SHE IS JUST TRYING TO PROTECT HER, AND KEEP HER FROM TURNING INTO THE SLUT SHE IS SO BENT ON BECOMING. TEENS NEED TO BE MONITORED BECAUSE THEIR BRAINS ARE NOT FULLY DEVELOPED AND THEY MAKE DUMB CHOICES. SHE LOVES HER KID. I RATHER BE ON TOP OF WHAT MY KID IS DOING, AND IF THEY SCREW UP AT LEAST NO ONE CAN POINT THE FINGER AT ME AND SAY I WASN'T DOING MY JOB AS A PARENT. AT THE END OF THE DAY OTHER PARENTS BLAME THE ADULT WHO "DROPPED THE BALL."

oh pleeez

Let the kids have some fun.  Let me talk sexily and cam naughtily if they want.

It's better than having  virtual sex than real and there's no danger of STDs or pregnancy.

I think it serves a very healthy need that these kids can webcam with one another sexually and socially.

January 21, 2009, 6:44 pm CST

I put mine up!

Quote From: secretguest

I am pro breast feeding, and I feel that women should be able to feed their babies wherever and whenever they would like.  We are far too uptight about breasts and we should eliminate the stigma attached to them naked.  It is ridiculous and damaging for us to feel the way we do about them.
However, I am not a supporter of mothers posting their breast feeding photos on the internet, and here is why...
Imagine that you are breast feeding in the mall, or the subway or wherever, and a man approaches and starts taking photos of you from only a couple of feet away.  When asked what he is doing, he tells you he is going to go home and use them for sexual purposes.  What would that mother do?  She would have him arrested if possible - and rightly so.
By posting those photos, some of them so close up and in detail, on the internet they are allowing those people who want to use them for sexual purposes to get all the fuel they need.  And they no longer have to risk getting in trouble over it.  You are handing them what they want without any effort on their part, and with no risk of being exposed for it.
Sure, you are always risking someone doing it anyway, but I am sure that they would be smart enough to be so far away that they would never get that level of detail.  They would need to be almost in their face to get that much of a detailed picture as those being posted on the internet.
I am not suggesting that we stop doing what is natural because we are forced to live with creeps and criminals in our society, but why do something to help them out?  Let them risk getting caught and arrested if they want those types of pictures.
I don't know why any woman would put themselves, and especially their infants, in that position.

My boyfriend was out of town. THe only time my son would sit till was when he was nursing. I took a pic. of him eating. It doesnt show nipple! infact it shows shirt and the top of DW's head. It got removed! WHen there was No skin showing!!!

DW will not remember nursing. Actually he might he is 16 months and still nurses. But still. I have oictures os me feeding my DAughter with a bottle. I have pictures of her at his age drinking out of a straw. WHat is the differance? It's a baby eating nothing else. THere are girls with bikini shots that cover less " boob" then a childs head. and I dont see anyone taking thoes pics down!

THe first think a child does in the hospital after being born is they are put up the their mothers breast. 99% of babies are captured on film or digitaly doing that. WHy not share the first few moments of life with friends and family?  I am not saying take a time delayed shot of how to nurse a child. I say I have lactating breasts that are used for nurishing a child. Am I bad for showing others that it's ok? I say I think as long as the lady is nursing and not in a squirting contest let her be.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last