Message Boards

Topic : 01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:54:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Social networking Web sites like Facebook and MySpace are great for meeting people, but they’re also the source of much controversy. Do the dangers of these sites outweigh their benefits? Dr. Phil takes a look at the latest issues to crop up on the digital frontier. He begins with 17-year-old Ashley, who says her mother, Janet, obsessively controls her Facebook account and also harasses her friends online. Janet says she’s witnessed disturbing things on these Web sites, and she’s not about to let Ashley get into trouble. In trying to keep her daughter safe, has the concerned mom gone too far, or not far enough? Dr. Phil’s opinion might surprise you. Then, Facebook doesn’t allow pictures of bare bosoms to grace its pages – but what if the breast that’s bared belongs to a nursing mom? See the picture that caused a firestorm of controversy, and judge for yourself whether it’s obscene. Plus, meet a woman who spent 11 months in an intimate Facebook relationship with someone she thought was actor Matthew Perry from the show Friends. When she found out the true identity of her digital paramour, you won’t believe what happened next. Before you grant your next online friend request, you’ll want to check out this show!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 21, 2009, 7:08 am CST

Hey

Hey this lady made me sooooooooooooooo mad I had to stop reading!!!!!  Yeah, don't you know that she (your daughter) is gonna go so made fun of at school because of you? and, she will start hating you. if she doesn't already. i know i do! i'm not a teenager, either. i'm 32 with a 2 yr. old girl

It ain't right what you are doing to her. stop it. you are ruining her. let me clue you in lady. yeah, sure i heard about all the bs that supposedly goes on on MySpace, i only joined because my best friend did. and guess whaqt, i haven't seen nothing like what i heard. i joined facebook and i am on it RIGHT NOW! because a friend of mine who is a missionary in Columbia invited me and it is mainly ppl. in my church. they are NOT bad places. ok, what's BETTER is that my mom don't care what is my password. she don't even know HOW to use the net. even if i LIVED with her, she wouldn't care and that soooooooooo DOES NOT mean that she doesn't love me. (believe me, we have our issues, too)

I'd  LOVE to be your daughters friend of FaceBook, her name is Ashley, isn't it??  Hi Ashley! I'm Jenny!!! I'd love to be your friend!!!   :-)

January 21, 2009, 8:05 am CST

feeding your baby

I have two kids and the dr's say that when they are 1 year old you can stop breast or bottle feeding and give them whole milk and that they should be eating food so why is she still breast feeding here baby. is it different in other states or what?

January 21, 2009, 11:18 am CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

Shame on you MOM! You are going way too far here! You have to give your daughter some space and most importantly some trust and respect.. She needs for you to allow her the chance to grow and mature without you invading her privacy. My daughter is 21 and we have always been extremely close. but you have to realize even mothers have boundaries-- you are out of control. I am friendly with all her friends but rarely do I message, email or contact them and i certainly wouldnt discuss my daughters personal life with them and most especially NEVER EVER would I impersonate my daughter. That is wrong on so many levels. Dont you realize that your relationship with your daughter is forever, and that you are ruining the chance to keep your daughter close to you forever by smothering her so completely. Please give her some respect and trust and the chance to experience some of life on her own. All you are going to succeed in doing is alienating your own daughter and ruining your relationship possibly forever. Life is short, lighten up a little and let your daughter enjoy her life. It is clear you are making her miserable:(

January 21, 2009, 12:13 pm CST

01/21 The Wild, Wild Web

I DO belive that parents should have passwords to all social networks and email. however I dont think it is fair to answer there emails or messages. Now days you cant be to careful, but this is tooooo far.

January 21, 2009, 12:22 pm CST

dr phil your on facebook too

your on facebook too or someone is using your photo and all your info.because i joined your group.and said if your really dr.phil and i asked a question.he or she never did get back to me they did the same thing with barack obama's i.d./your both up therec pic;s and all.

January 21, 2009, 12:31 pm CST

A GREAT MOM!

SHE SAID THAT ASHLEY IS STARTING TO DO THE NASTY THINGS THAT HER NASTY FRIENDS ARE DOING. TAKING SEXY PICTURES, KISSING EACH OTHER, TAKING SHOWERS TOGETHER AND TAKING PICTURES OF IT!!!! THAT IS GROSS AND SHE HAS ALL THE RIGHT TO TRY AND CONTROL HER DAUGHTER. HER DAUGHTER WAS STARTING TO BULLY OTHER GIRLS ONLINE LIKE HER FRIENDS DO. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TEENS KILL THEMSELVES AFTER BEING BULLIED ONLINE? A WOMAN GOT 25 YEARS FOR TAKING PART IN BULLYING A GIRL HER TEEN DAUGHTER WAS BULLYING ONLINE. JANET IS MAKING SURE THAT HER KID DOESN'T END UP IN JAIL. IF ASHLEY CAN PUNCH HER MOM IN THE EYE, WHO KNOWS WHAT SHE IS DOING. IF MY MOM PULLED MY LEG I WOULDN'T DARE LIFT MY HAND TO HER, WE WOULD HAVE NEVER GOT TO THE POINT WHERE WE WERE ACTUALLY FIGHTING!!!! DEAR GOD! WHERE IS THE RESPECT?? DR. PHIL NEEDS TO GET REAL!!!! THE ONLY ADVICE HE NEEDS TO GIVE THIS MOM, IS TELLING HER TO PULL HER PAGES OFFLINE AND TO PULL ASHLEY'S PAGES OFFLINE UNTIL SHE IS IN COLLEGE IF SHE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT SHE SEE'S ONLINE. NONE OF THE TEENS IN MY FAMILY HAVE MYSPACE OR FACEBOOK, IN FACT THEY THINK IT'S CORNY AND BORING NOW. OTHER THAN THAT, SHE IS JUST TRYING TO PROTECT HER, AND KEEP HER FROM TURNING INTO THE SLUT SHE IS SO BENT ON BECOMING. TEENS NEED TO BE MONITORED BECAUSE THEIR BRAINS ARE NOT FULLY DEVELOPED AND THEY MAKE DUMB CHOICES. SHE LOVES HER KID. I RATHER BE ON TOP OF WHAT MY KID IS DOING, AND IF THEY SCREW UP AT LEAST NO ONE CAN POINT THE FINGER AT ME AND SAY I WASN'T DOING MY JOB AS A PARENT. AT THE END OF THE DAY OTHER PARENTS BLAME THE ADULT WHO "DROPPED THE BALL."

January 21, 2009, 12:33 pm CST

FINALLY!

Now we know how some people get on another's account.

I almost pull out my hair when one guest has been reading the email of the "opposition".

"How did she get to your email?"  "She hacked my password."

If you make it a kid's name, the family pet, etc., then you DESERVE to have someone else read your email.  The Secret Service is known to cut right through machines which have been used to make threats to someone in the gov't (of any level).  They make a list of all sorts of personal information, then work through those words/names/whatever.  The longest a "non-technical" person's password has taken to be determined is a handful of hours. 

Now for the parents:  Do you think what you are seeing is their only account at a given site?  Do you really think all of the fun a kid has is going to be where Mom & Dad can read it?  Their friends already know the Facebook/MySpace account is compromised.  Mom & Dad read whatever they think is real, with just enough material to keep it from being too diluted.

What do you think could happen when they study at the library, have coffee at a book store, or during "free time" at a PC at school?  In the case of the library, 'nuff said. Coffee? Free wireless. So your kid doesn't leave a trail on their machine, what about a friend loaning it to them? (including sitting right next to them.  Free time at school?

Somehow, people seem to play stupid after the fact ,frequently misleading others (audience/viewers) as to what might or might not be happening.

As for the consequences, has everyone forgotten the mission of one storyline on NBC's Dateline, when perverts are lured by the cops to a house, expecting a good time with underage girls?  Some of them traveled hundres of miles. Many had a box of condoms, booze, etc. yet said they were just "visiting".  If "lure" sounds illegal, there's an easy way to look at it - and it's easy to demonstrate. I hopped on AOL, created a screen name "HotPammy14".  I hadn't been in a room with local (adult) friends for fifteen or twenty seconds (literally) and I had eight requests for an IM (private conversation. These were NOT in the room.

What do you think the "14" meant? They obviously meant it was an age. Their statements said as much.  It usually popped up on their second, most definitely no more than three responses from them.  I did nothing to drag them into a conversation and said nothing to lead them on.  I merely answered questions as though  I was a fourteen year old girl named Pam.  "Hot" is bait? I didn't say whom I was hot for.  It could have been lots of my classmates call me.

Now: who did the luring?

N.B. For Dr. Phil & staff:  don't quote statistics about how many people sign protests/petitions.  "Thousands & thousands people mean nothing".  People CAN vote more than once. It's not that tough.

January 21, 2009, 12:37 pm CST

YOU WANNA BE HER FRIEND???

Quote From: iluvje6200

Hey this lady made me sooooooooooooooo mad I had to stop reading!!!!!  Yeah, don't you know that she (your daughter) is gonna go so made fun of at school because of you? and, she will start hating you. if she doesn't already. i know i do! i'm not a teenager, either. i'm 32 with a 2 yr. old girl

It ain't right what you are doing to her. stop it. you are ruining her. let me clue you in lady. yeah, sure i heard about all the bs that supposedly goes on on MySpace, i only joined because my best friend did. and guess whaqt, i haven't seen nothing like what i heard. i joined facebook and i am on it RIGHT NOW! because a friend of mine who is a missionary in Columbia invited me and it is mainly ppl. in my church. they are NOT bad places. ok, what's BETTER is that my mom don't care what is my password. she don't even know HOW to use the net. even if i LIVED with her, she wouldn't care and that soooooooooo DOES NOT mean that she doesn't love me. (believe me, we have our issues, too)

I'd  LOVE to be your daughters friend of FaceBook, her name is Ashley, isn't it??  Hi Ashley! I'm Jenny!!! I'd love to be your friend!!!   :-)

YOU'RE 32 AND YOU'D LOVE TO BE A 17 YEAR-OLDS FRIEND??? YOU GOT A TWO YEAR OLD LADY, WAIT TILL SHE GROWS UP? TEENS HAVE AS MUCH UNDERSTANDING AS YOU'RE 2 YEAR-OLD.

January 21, 2009, 12:52 pm CST

breast feeding

Breast feeding has been a topic talked about often in the years my 3 daughters were growing.

Some people are just not comfortable around exposed breasts. PERIOD.

Eating in public is one thing, but an exposed breast is something else.

I never understood how people can be so rude about it. I would never make a fuss about it, but I think it is just wrong. Cover up. Think about  your child when they are older, and look at these pictures, don't you think they will be uncomfortable?

January 21, 2009, 12:53 pm CST

When to do something...

Question...I am a youth leader at our local church. Some of the kids (highschoolers) have what I consider to be inappropiate photos. Is it my place to say something??? Thanks!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last