Message Boards

Topic : 01/22 President Obama: Hope vs. Reality

Number of Replies: 294
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:55:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The inauguration party is over. What’s next for this country? Dr. Phil and his esteemed guests discuss their thoughts about the new presidency and what to expect in the next four years. How will the Obama presidency change our lives? Can he save this country from financial ruin? What does his economic stimulus plan mean to you at home? Can Obama live up to the hype -- or will our hopes be dashed? Inside Edition’s Deborah Norville recaps the highlights from the inauguration, and Ann Coulter, controversial author and conservative commentator, gives her opinions on President Barack Obama. Plus, a personal finance expert tells you what you need to know to get through these tough economic times, and more! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2009, 4:00 pm CST

There's little difference..........

Quote From: getrealtime

I get so tired of libs and Dems that protect the man and not defend the policys. His policys are what will help or hurt this country The man himself is not what will effect this country for the better or the worst. When will the Kool - aid wear off  is what I would like to know???

When a Repub. say anything about Obama stim. package Obama defenders don't jump in and defend or say what they like about the package they come out swing in protecting the man.

Obama is a big boy now?  He is the Pres of the United States and with that comes alot of opinions and debates and talk show host that disagree with him, about what he is doing as our Commandor and Cheif Thats just part of his JOB   as it was for all the other Pres before him. lol.. 

There is very little difference in how dems are reacting to slams against Obama then there was repub's reacting to slams against our our former president. Obviously there are very few people who can discuss politics without turning into rabid dogs (on both sides) instead of being able to have a normal and respectful conversation. I find this to be a shame. But yes, us dems are excited to finally have a dem president in the white house but as in all presidents, only time will tell how good of a president he may be. Hopefully, a very good one!

I hate to actually admit this to anyone but I will go ahead and tell about something that has divided my brother and sister. My sister is die hard Obama from Calif. and my brother is from Texas, the state that still believes that Obama is Muslim. In a recent phone conversation they had a huge blow up, actually it was my brother who blew up, because he's against a dem and a black man (plus Muslim) for president. They are no longer speaking. Yes, this is a good reason to tear a family apart (sarcasm). I truly don't understand why everyone must argue over politics, isn't there more important things in life to worry about? Life is too short for all of this. Not to slam Texas here but, isn't it time they joined the rest of us in realizing that we don't have a terrorist in the white house? And no I don't hate Texas, as a matter of fact I happen to love that state.

January 30, 2009, 8:57 pm CST

Democrats vs. Republicans

Quote From: jewelsf

There is very little difference in how dems are reacting to slams against Obama then there was repub's reacting to slams against our our former president. Obviously there are very few people who can discuss politics without turning into rabid dogs (on both sides) instead of being able to have a normal and respectful conversation. I find this to be a shame. But yes, us dems are excited to finally have a dem president in the white house but as in all presidents, only time will tell how good of a president he may be. Hopefully, a very good one!

I hate to actually admit this to anyone but I will go ahead and tell about something that has divided my brother and sister. My sister is die hard Obama from Calif. and my brother is from Texas, the state that still believes that Obama is Muslim. In a recent phone conversation they had a huge blow up, actually it was my brother who blew up, because he's against a dem and a black man (plus Muslim) for president. They are no longer speaking. Yes, this is a good reason to tear a family apart (sarcasm). I truly don't understand why everyone must argue over politics, isn't there more important things in life to worry about? Life is too short for all of this. Not to slam Texas here but, isn't it time they joined the rest of us in realizing that we don't have a terrorist in the white house? And no I don't hate Texas, as a matter of fact I happen to love that state.

This is too funny.  I am a republican from Texas no less. LOL! There's something I'd like to admit as well.  I was one of the ones who despised the thought of Obama becoming President solely because of him being raised Muslim.  I have no issues whatsoever with his race, it was strictly his previous Muslim religion.  When that came out, it just concerned me because of the war we have diligently been fighting for the last 7 years.  Then, one day I realized, my worries and fears are not going to change anything, so I just need to have faith that he is the chosen man for the job. I also realized, people do still convert to and from different religions and even if he was actively Muslim, he was still elected President and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I believe people can still claim whatever political party they choose, but we as ONE  NATION UNDER GOD need to stand behind our President, republican or democrat, as long as he's leading our country in the right direction. 

I'm definitely not hardcore where politics are concerned.  I don't really know enough about politics to have an opinion.  Like you, I don't see why people get soooo into it.  Why discuss what we can't change, anyway, you know?  I do sincerely hope your brother and sister can come to the realization that differring opinions in politics really aren't worth not speaking.  If that were the case, there's an entire branch of my family that I wouldn't be speaking to but funny thing I'm closest to those people.  People just need to understand that we are allowed to disagree but we need to have the common courtesy of respecting each others opinions.

February 2, 2009, 9:02 am CST

01/22 President Obama: Hope vs. Reality

Quote From: jewelsf

There are plenty of Texans, and others from the "Red" states who don't consider Obama an Arab, Muslim, or terrorist. Or, unqualified for the presidency because his father was black. Who thought he was too inexperienced. And, disagreed on him with many issues they thought could affect his policies to our detriment as a nation. I'd love to someday vote for a black man, or woman. But, I must  vote for an experienced candidate based on the relevant issues, rather than some vague "hope and change" rhetoric.

February 7, 2009, 5:15 pm CST

Ann Coulter....opinions not facts

I believe it was Senator Moynihan who said everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.  Ms. Coulter states her opinions as  facts... I suspect there is little she does not have an "expert" opinion about.  Dr. Phil invited her back to discuss single moms.  She has no credibility...she can believe what she wants, as so many do without any experience or facts.  I suggest she live in the trenches for a while and then she can have a credible opinion.  In college my dorm room was the Barry Goldwater headquarters....until I became a social worker spending day after day with the poor families who had no hope.  Then I became a diehard Democrat because they cared about people.  Now Ms. Coulter would probably call be a bleeding heart liberal.  First hand exposure to despiar changes you--if you have a heart, have some empathy, compassion.  After 20 years in a Children's Hospital, I have seen kids neglected to death, beaten to death, children who have as much hope as the kids do in Rowanda.  It changes you. A baby arrived DOA.  I went to the ER.  Entered the room.  It was horrible, undescribable.  I asked what is that odor?  Experienced nurses answered.....that's death. I do not know how they could stay in that room.  I had to leave.  This was a life changing experience.  That wasn't the fault of "liberal media;"  that was the fault of a society that does not value children.  There are ways to prevent this, but lower taxes, limited "welfare programs" are more important.

Today I work in two suburban school districts--both solid districts  Lot's of good people trying hard to make a difference in kids' lives.  I see kids one on one for counseling, actually it is valuing them, caring about them and listening to them--unconditional positive regard.   I have so many children who do not have refuge at home. No shelter in the storm.  No SAFE place to retreat to.   They do not have a clue what a family meal is, or even a cooked meal (not due to poverty, but due to emotionally absent parents. )  Many of these kids' parents are college educated professionals.  One district has a character education program where in their elementary building they are teaching concepts such as: compassion, honesty, trust, responsibility....  I learned all those BEFORE I went to school.....from my parents.  If the school is having to teach that to the student body......it is a sad comentary on parenting and society.  (kid threw a rock at a school bus...mom said it was school's shortcoming for not teaching him correct behavior)

In one district a not too long ago graduate was found slumped over the steering wheel of her car.....drunk.  She has 5 children 2 in early school grades and 3 not old enough to attend.  The mother came from a family frought with problems.  She is single.  Let's blame the media, or liberal bleeding hearts, or welfare or ____(fill in the blank.) This no good mother is getting my hard earned tax money in the form of welfare....that curse word.  BTW, how much did a few banking CEO's  recently take from us, or Dick Cheney's defense contractor--Halliburton who moved their headquarters to UAR to avoid US taxes??  Aw, it happens, but this no good drunk deserves what she gets, she is making her own decisions.  She should just pull herself up out of depression and despair.  Just like her 5 kids will have to do when they get old enough even thought they too have not been valued, cared about and listened to and have had lousy role models, up until they entered school at age 5.  5 years of poor modeling.  Then we in public education get a shot.  We win some, lose more.

Have to quit.  Too angry.  Too many kids being injured......and I certainly do not want to hear Ann Coulter's millionaire naive  opinion as to the cure.  She found her gimmick to get rich, as has Rush,...)... I hope these 5 kids can too. 

First | Prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Next Page | Last Page