Message Boards

Topic : 01/23 Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 47
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:56:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes an in-depth look at unbelievable news stories that have captivated millions. Adam Herrman, 21, vanished from his Kansas home 10 years ago, but his adoptive parents, Doug and Valerie, only reported him missing last month! Dr. Phil talks to the young man’s biological parents, Gerri and Irvin, who haven’t seen each other in 22 years. What do they think happened to their child? Who’s to blame for the disappearance of Adam Herrman, and is there any chance that the young man is still alive? Nancy Grace, the host of Headline News, weighs in. Then, millions were inspired by the safe landing of USAirways Flight 1549, also dubbed the “Miracle on the Hudson.” Three passengers, Brad, Joshua and Denise, say they’re thankful to be alive, but they’re still haunted by memories of that fateful day. How can they deal with the psychological affects of the plane crash and move on with their lives? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2009, 3:17 pm CST

the "hadcuffed" does not hold water.

They say they saw the kid handcuffed to the bathtub or sink. They say they discussed it like I'd discuss yesterday's weather forecast. I SAY BULFVCKING$H!T
The fact that they did not call authorities ***ON THE SPOT*** tells me they were fabricating that story.
If they did not have access to the house's phone or a cellphone, paypjones were still quite common.

January 23, 2009, 3:18 pm CST

Flight 1549 passengers

Thats just too much for me. Im sure the other 147 passengers are already moved on with their lives...as it should be..

Listening to those people is just too much, I mean come on here....

January 23, 2009, 3:24 pm CST

Nancy Grace

Dr. Phil, isn't there someone else to assist with stories of child abuse? Nancy Grace  is too angry, too  hostile for intelligent  conversation.  Today's show is a case in point she blew off the "bio" parents  case.  They should have a chance to state thier case against the state. 

January 23, 2009, 4:14 pm CST

CPS

My daughter had my grand-daughter taken from her on the day she was born.  I have every since been trying to get custody of my grand-daughter and has had every attempt blocked by the CPS worker.  My grand-daughter was placed with a 4th cousin who happens to look more like my grand-daughter then I do.  And has said that the CPS worker is doing everything she could to make sure that my grand-daughter stay with my cousin then to be with me.  She and the 4th cousin has gone so far as lied about me just to make sure that I don't get custody of my grand-daughter.  It does happen that when the workers make up their mind about the situation that they do all that they can to make sure it stays the way that it is, even if it is not in the best interest for the children.

January 23, 2009, 4:40 pm CST

Adam's Homeschool Truancy Reporting and State Neglect

Dear Dr. Phil,

I am a concerned parent in the state of Ohio who has knowledge of the state educational reporting system here in Ohio. I saw your show regarding the missing boy Adam, and it raised suspicion to me how a child that age could remain unreported for more than 10 years to the state educational authorities even if the child was homeschooled.   According to the Kansas Department of Education website info which I posted below, I would like to know why the state itself did not recognize that one of their own children was truant from school for so  many years. Since the child was not in attendance of his home-school program, the adoptive parents had a duty to report the child as truant from school which may have triggered a search much sooner for this child.  Is an oversight issue being alleged against the state educational authorities as well?  I am concerned that there may be other children that may also fall victim to their guardians in such a manner when we already have safeguards in place for the state to identify at least within one year’s time that the child was actually truant / missing but that have not been properly implemented.  Shouldn’t the Hermans be arrested based of their failure to report the child as truant from homeschooling? (In my eyes they should have been charged ten years ago).  Other charges could have then followed and been added to the charges thereafter. Does the state educational department only run a report once every 10 or 11 years to see if students are being properly reported to them?  This story was just too bizarre.

PLBonnie

Kansas State Department of Education Website

http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1688

Compulsory school attendance laws apply to children between the ages of 7 and 18 (may be under 7 for children identified as handicapped). Every parent, or person acting as parent, of children in that age group must require such children to attend a public, private, denominational, or parochial school for the duration of the school term.

Nonaccredited schools are not required to employ teachers who are certified by the state, but their courses must be taught by competent instructors, and they must hold classes for a period of time which is substantially equivalent to the time public schools are in session in the area in which the nonaccredited school is located (at least 186 days of not less than 6 hours per day, or 1116 hours per year for grades 1-11).

Nonaccredited private schools are required by law to register the name and address of the private elementary or secondary school with the state board of education. Registration consists of completing a form provided by the state showing the name and address of the school and the name and address of the official custodian of the school's records. The act of completing the registration form does not mean the nonaccredited school has been "approved" by the state board of education as a "school" that satisfies the compulsory school attendance law.

No fee is charged for registration of a nonaccredited school.

When a student transfers to a nonaccredited school, the school previously attended must be notified by the parent/guardian that the student is changing schools. If a student simply stops coming to school, the school is required by law to report the student as truant.

January 23, 2009, 4:43 pm CST

01/23 Behind the Headlines

Quote From: thepk55

I think it is horrible what happened to this poor child. Yes, everyone failed this child. But I think it was wrong for Dr. Phil and Nancy Grace to tear into the biological parents. They had lost their rights when this child was abused by the adoptive parents. They were out of the child's life and could do no more for him. If anyone should be blamed it is the state for not keeping a watch on this child when they had red flags about this home.  The biological parents should not have been ripped into so much. For that matter I don't understand why they were even on the show.  They had lost the child 21 years ago.

This JMO!

Nothing wrong with them getting down on the biological parents, if they hadn't beaten their daughter and gotten all their kids taken away then Adam wouldn't be missing/dead. Shame on them all, and especially the Aunt for not calling CPS; although the way CPS is they probably would have given Adam back with a slap on the wrist of the parents not to chain him up anymore.

January 23, 2009, 4:54 pm CST

Quote From: mynanatoo

Dr. Phil, isn't there someone else to assist with stories of child abuse? Nancy Grace  is too angry, too  hostile for intelligent  conversation.  Today's show is a case in point she blew off the "bio" parents  case.  They should have a chance to state thier case against the state. 
I'm with you on this one! The woman is beyond annoying!!

January 23, 2009, 4:57 pm CST

Quote From: shmigelz

Thats just too much for me. Im sure the other 147 passengers are already moved on with their lives...as it should be..

Well, YOU try going through what they did, and then come back and tell us it didn't bother you!! And, as for whether or not the other 147 passengers have "already moved on with their lives"....do you have a crystal ball? Are you psychic?

You have NO idea how they feel! 

January 23, 2009, 7:16 pm CST

Quote From: cndrlla

Well, YOU try going through what they did, and then come back and tell us it didn't bother you!! And, as for whether or not the other 147 passengers have "already moved on with their lives"....do you have a crystal ball? Are you psychic?

You have NO idea how they feel! 

I agree....I think the were look for their 15 minutes of fame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2009, 7:19 pm CST

Quote From: shmigelz

I think these people are gearing up fo a law suit. THe plane was on top of the water for hours. Dr. Phil made me sick with the whole "Survivors Remorse"...um ALL THE DAMN PASSENGERS WALKED AWAY!!!!! I can understand if 120 people died and the survivors felt bad but come ON!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last