Message Boards

Topic : 01/23 Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 47
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:56:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes an in-depth look at unbelievable news stories that have captivated millions. Adam Herrman, 21, vanished from his Kansas home 10 years ago, but his adoptive parents, Doug and Valerie, only reported him missing last month! Dr. Phil talks to the young man’s biological parents, Gerri and Irvin, who haven’t seen each other in 22 years. What do they think happened to their child? Who’s to blame for the disappearance of Adam Herrman, and is there any chance that the young man is still alive? Nancy Grace, the host of Headline News, weighs in. Then, millions were inspired by the safe landing of USAirways Flight 1549, also dubbed the “Miracle on the Hudson.” Three passengers, Brad, Joshua and Denise, say they’re thankful to be alive, but they’re still haunted by memories of that fateful day. How can they deal with the psychological affects of the plane crash and move on with their lives? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2009, 7:19 pm CST

Kansas & Their Screwed-up System

I have been a foster parent for over 10 years now. When I started they were for the kids and getting families back together. Somewhere along the way it became a business.I have seen and experienced first hand how the workers bully the parents. They make the parents jump through flaming hoops, attend parenting classes,anger management classes, counseling, therapy, family therapy, and set up the visits with their children at the workers convenience And let's not forget court, caseplans, worker/child visits, and worker/ parent visits. So what if the bio-parent has a job. If they miss enough work they will lose their job. And Dr. Phil you are wrong they do pull kids out of the home for bruises and sometimes even less then that. I know of a situation of the house being dirty. And tell that woman that was on your show I had  a bio-dad that had to get a bigger place because his children weren't allowed to share a room because they were 7 & 8 and a boy and girl. So he finally got them back after 2 1/2 years in the system, but only for 30 days if it doesn't work they will put them back in the system. A big majority of these bio-parents are very low functioning or scared out of their wits and want their children back so they do whatever the worker assigned to them tells them to do even if it means setting them up for failure. I know you have a lot of money and pull. I wish you would investigate the SRS, TFI (The Farm Inc. ) ,DCCCA,and other child placing agencies in Kansas. I know you would find things that you would question like I do. I am just a resource parent as they call us now and they do get upset with me a lot so they blow me off. After SRS passed the responsibility of Foster care to the agencies is when all sense of family was lost. And believe me they all stick together.I have complained and turned in workers to the complaint line only to have it trickle back down to the person I complained against and nothing was accomplished. I feel as long as they can keep a child in the system it is job security for them, and nobody questions it. I also know of a boy that is over three years old and has been in the system since 4 months old. The bio-parents still have rights and visits but his half brother was placed back home over 22 months ago, and his full sister is still in a  Foster home in  Kansas City. And yes bio-mom is pregnant again and due next month and since she lives in the county she does they will probably take it from her at birth in the hospital. Does this sound fair no but it's how things are done here in Kansas.  Our system here needs major tweaking. I remain a Resource Parent so I can advocate for the children in my home and also their parents and help them get their children back. I also have promised the over 60 children that I have had in my home that I will help change the system and change it for the better. We need a major over-haul  in the Foster Care system in KANSAS.  PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS FURTHER>>>>>>>>>>>>

January 23, 2009, 7:22 pm CST

01/23 Behind the Headlines

Quote From: mommyto5boys

I know this topic is about the missing boy but I couldn't find a place for the part of the show about the airplane going down.  I am very disappointed in Dr. Phil saying that it wasn't a miracle and that it was all because of the pilots and what they did that saved the lives of the people.  YES, the pilots did an AMAZING INCREDIBLE job but because and only because God was with them.  ONLY by the grace of God and He allowed a miracle to happen....and He used the pilots and gave them the wisdom and guided their actions!!  God deserves way more honor and glory than He got from Dr. Phil. 

UGH...GOD SCHMOD....

How about giving credit to the pilot??????????? Geeze..they went to school to learn how to address issues like....

It WASNT God...just Pilot luch and knowledge...

If there is a god and god was involved..I dont know about YOUR god but mine would NEVER have caused that plane to crash to begin with!

January 23, 2009, 11:35 pm CST

Missing Boy

I am a retired school principal and I have tried to stop the holes in the system that allows this to happen. I have been to the police and to a judge and they admit there is a hole but there are no laws to fix the system.  When a child moves from one school to another or to home schooling there is no trace.  I left my district with about 5 inactive children's files that have not been sent for by another district.  We don't know what happened to these children.  They moved, never heard from again, no one ever sent for records.

My premise is: If we have social security numbers from birth why can't we track our children through them and just make sure they are alive? The SPCA does a better job with animal rights than we do with children.

January 24, 2009, 4:10 pm CST

government- help or hurt children

Does it get any more wrong than watching a child be abused and doing nothing? I think not. Excuses, excuses- typical lazy, selfish, truely unconcerned people. People wanna say "I don't wanna get involved" Ya right, we all get into someone's business when we want to, and that is the point we have to really want to. I also believe a lot of problems lie in the system, which I realize Dr. Phil would believe, accept as a possibility, and even investigate. We had a foster mom living by us that I continually saw abuse little precious children she had in her care. Continually I and others, even those in management position of the dwelling called to complain. Promises to investigate, but never was anything done and she still has kids in and out of her home all the time. It is ridiculous, but when someone will take the kids and make it all look good on the outside the government don't care. Too many people loose their kids these days either permanently or temporarily and those kids have to have a place. Why take the kids if you don't have a good decent place for them, let them be screwed up living at home rather than somewhere else that ends up costing the tax payers. This kind of crap is why my heart so longs to be a foster parent. To do what I can to plant love in children that need and deserve it.

January 24, 2009, 4:16 pm CST

Quote From: libitina72

UGH...GOD SCHMOD....

How about giving credit to the pilot??????????? Geeze..they went to school to learn how to address issues like....

It WASNT God...just Pilot luch and knowledge...

If there is a god and god was involved..I dont know about YOUR god but mine would NEVER have caused that plane to crash to begin with!

There is undoubtably a God! Who do you think made you and everything around you. I believe God should get this credit, but also everyone else. God uses people and I am sure gave the pilot wisdom as He does many of us everyday. And to those of you who don't believe in God, I will for sure pray for God to change your heart. As the people on the plane discovered life can end without warning.

January 24, 2009, 4:20 pm CST

Quote From: libitina72

I think these people are gearing up fo a law suit. THe plane was on top of the water for hours. Dr. Phil made me sick with the whole "Survivors Remorse"...um ALL THE DAMN PASSENGERS WALKED AWAY!!!!! I can understand if 120 people died and the survivors felt bad but come ON!
have you seriously never had something happen to you that left you with lasting effects? Things in life effect us and each one of us differently. Don't ever judge someone for how they are handling things. And a law suit, so what, if there is sufficent evidence what business is it of yours? you better pray you never go through anything tramatic, you obviously have no clue how hard it is.

January 24, 2009, 4:23 pm CST

Quote From: cndrlla

I'm with you on this one! The woman is beyond annoying!!
Nancy Grace is awesome! If I was a abused, murdered, lost kid I would want her speaking for me. As a child you need someone to be harsh to those involved because obviously they need some of their own belittling abusing medicine.

January 24, 2009, 4:40 pm CST

Quote From: mynanatoo

Dr. Phil, isn't there someone else to assist with stories of child abuse? Nancy Grace  is too angry, too  hostile for intelligent  conversation.  Today's show is a case in point she blew off the "bio" parents  case.  They should have a chance to state thier case against the state. 
No, the only one who deserved anything was that child. Had they have been stable parents he would have never been taken away and they wouldn't have a "case" to state. The only thing comming out of their mouths should be regret and remorse, the whole issue started with them and their disfunctional parenting style. They don't have any excuses good enough.

January 24, 2009, 5:05 pm CST

Quote From: tyler1

To Doug and Valerie;  Lie much???

You do not get eight children over the course of several YEARS taken away from you because your daughter had a bruise on her leg?  Man, I'm guessing you think everybodies as thick as you and easily buys your BS.   And there sits your dutiful husband Doug backing up your load of crap.   Disgusting the pair of you.   My husbands cousin took in foster children her whole life, never got a single one taken away.  Her, her husband and their own children loved those foster kids like they were there own.  Shame on both of you.  The law is catching up.  You'll not get away with what you did to that precious little boy.    Enjoy prison. 

Yes, in the state of Kansas, yes you can.  If they terminated the rights of one child, then all future children will be removed and rights terminated.  They will take them straight from the hospital after birth and place them in foster care pending termination.  Even 15 or 20 years later, they will be removed.  That is the law.  Ground for unfitness in Kansas is having rights terminated to ANY child.  The fact that she has two children in her custody in Colorado tells me she is to blame for blindly remaining in Kansas, and a mistake in younger life.  Even if only one child was abused. all would be taken, even future children.  Just how the law is here in Kansas.

January 24, 2009, 5:50 pm CST

Nancy Grace/Ann Coulter

Quote From: mynanatoo

Dr. Phil, isn't there someone else to assist with stories of child abuse? Nancy Grace  is too angry, too  hostile for intelligent  conversation.  Today's show is a case in point she blew off the "bio" parents  case.  They should have a chance to state thier case against the state. 
Why in the world would you have either of these two over the top PMS women on your show is beyond me. I won't watch it when they are on because neither can be reasonable, only emotional and opioniated. Most of the time you have real professionals on and I enjoy their views, not so with these two. Please find others to assist you.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last