Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Fighting Fair

Number of Replies: 55
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 22, 2009, 01:21:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/26/09) All couples argue, but Dr. Phil says name-calling, temper tantrums and hitting below the belt can ruin a marriage. He sits down with Mark and Leana who have been married for only five months but say they’re headed for divorce court. Leana says her husband spends more time with his bandmates than he does with her and their four children. Mark says Leana constantly emasculates him, and he accuses her of being unfaithful. You won’t believe what home video cameras captured during the newlyweds' 62-minute fight. Find out what Dr. Phil witnesses that disturbs him the most. Can this couple resolve their differences, or should they call it quits? If you and your spouse are having knock-down, drag-out battles, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s rules for fighting fair! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2009, 4:01 pm CST

This Young Woman Needs to be Medicated

The woman in this show is sick, selfish and probably needing of some psychiatric help.  She seems very narcissistic and uncaring.  I blame the husband too but it is the mothers job (and usually natural inclination) to emotionally protect the children.  I am appalled at her. 

June 6, 2009, 10:21 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Fair Fighting Phil/Robin. I have never seen peoples fighting at all. See you on Friday June 12th, 20--

09. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 12, 2009, 8:31 am CDT

Fighting

I sort of understand what the mother is going through.  She feels like her husband doesent care, and I think she is having problems with trust too.  They both have issues with trust.  Their communication skills are poor.  The way they fight is just bad.  They should never fight in front of their kids!  They need to go in a seperate place if they are going to argue.  Or just do not even argue if the kids are going to hear them.  They need to think about their kids first!  Thats their first priority.  Then work on their relationship 2nd.  I just see a lot of insecurity in both.  If they both love eachother and care, then obviously it can work out.  If it does not work out by them trying together without help, then they need to go see a marriage councelor if both want it to work, but just do not know HOW.  They shoulda learned a lot though from the dr phill show!!

June 12, 2009, 1:18 pm CDT

06/12 Fighting Fair

Quote From: bullock607

Did you not hear that the wife started 90% of the fights and her goal was inflict as much pain as possible.  If I was married to someone like her, I wouldn't want to be around her either.  Dr. Phil was just focusing on the person that needed the most help in that marriage.
Some people, especially women, hear only what they want to from these shows.
Whoever starts most of the fights, especially with the intention of inflicting pain, needs the most help.
And, avoiding such a person is often the best way to keep the conflict from escalating.

June 12, 2009, 1:26 pm CDT

identical

Dr. Phil i can't help but notice that the couple on the show today are exactly like my husband and I. We've been marrried for almost 4 years we have two beautiful childre ages 2 years old and 4 months. However i find my self on a daily basis contemplting Divorce. Our mauin argument is showing affection, somthing that he refuses to deo . he says i married him like this and i shouldn't expect more. The more i do expect things, the more he won't beable to give or show. Is it too much to ask to feel loved...

June 12, 2009, 1:30 pm CDT

06/12 Fighting Fair

Quote From: hope7130

Every time Dr. Phil explained or pointed something out to Leana,she came back with "I did but" or she expressed something that she wanted to discuss which did not tie into the point of Dr. Phil and he allowed this.....what happened to calling it as you see it...

She got Dr. Phil to point the finger at Mark and say don't do that which is what she wanted, again wanting to be "Right".  Leana needs counseling, she's at home with the kids and not feeling like an adult, in short, she needs to get a life in order to plug into the Married life!

Leana is one of those female guests who comes on the show expecting Dr Phil to side with them. I can't really blame them for  coming on with this expectation. Dr Phil has shown a propensity for  siding with the women. But, Leana was so over-the-top that Dr Phil couldn't side with her. When she's starting most of the arguments, especially with the intention of inflicting hurt, he's left with no choice but to take her inventory.

June 12, 2009, 1:50 pm CDT

06/12 Fighting Fair

Quote From: nu2barbara

Dr. Phil, I disagree with Mark needing to wake in the mornings and ask himself what he can do to make his wife's life better. I think it makes more sense for him to ask himself what he needs to do to make his childrens lives better, and she should be willing to except that as a loving wife. Life does not circle around just her.
I've got no problem with Dr Phil's advice. If he'd given it to both of them. Leana should do the same thing,  wake up asking herself "what can I do to make Mark's life better.
And, a good start would be to quit griping about "only" getting $250 a week to pay bills. She only pays half the bills with it. Yet still complains that it isn't enough. So, why not prove it by showing these bills to Mark? Instead of refusing? Her refusal is bound to create trust issues.

June 12, 2009, 2:09 pm CDT

06/12 Fighting Fair

Quote From: ladylike812001

Dr. Phil i can't help but notice that the couple on the show today are exactly like my husband and I. We've been marrried for almost 4 years we have two beautiful childre ages 2 years old and 4 months. However i find my self on a daily basis contemplting Divorce. Our mauin argument is showing affection, somthing that he refuses to deo . he says i married him like this and i shouldn't expect more. The more i do expect things, the more he won't beable to give or show. Is it too much to ask to feel loved...
If he wasn't showing affection before you married him, he wasn't likely to after the wedding. Has he ever told you why he doesn't show affection? Maybe he never saw any between his parents. Maybe he never learned how. Maybe you could train him by initiating the affection.

June 12, 2009, 2:37 pm CDT

Fighting Fair

My advice to this wife and mom:   

• Make a list of things you can do for yourself to be happier with yourself as a woman, wife and mom. Try to do one or two of these things each day.   (Ex.  workout, make kids' bedtime earlier to give yourself time for you, etc.)
  • Make a list of good qualities you see in your husband and children. Tell them or write them in notes or cards regularly.
  • Daily make an effort to smile, to be pleasant  and sweet with your husband and children. 
  • Do not allow another person or thoughts of another person to meet your romantic and emotional needs. 
  • Finally,  take care of your man or someone else will.

June 12, 2009, 4:17 pm CDT

Dr.Phil Got It Wrong

I think Dr.Phil should have taken a stand and told the husband that you should not have gotten married only to leave your wife alone at home with three children while you play entertainer! She needs companionship and so much more from this man and he is not there. He does not need a reminder to get home on time, because he had no intention of wanting to be home in the first place. People need more than advice on how to agrue fair, they need a clearer understanding on why to get married and how to stay married. Maybe with three children one of whom is a baby their love life is lacking and her husband is frustrated, work on it but don't keep leaving that beautiful woman alone. She will never be able to compete with the applause of an audience or the admiration of the fans, and she should not have to! Come on Dr.Phil, man up and tell that husband to either be there for her or give some other man a chance to make her happy. Did Dr.Phil really think that young mother and wife was wrong to want her husband to help out and be home after she worked all week herself? No wonder divorce rates are so high, people get married with no intention of being there for eachother, it's  all about themselves.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last