Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:31:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/27/09) From sending sexual text messages to taking a punch to the face for fun, today’s teens are engaging in outrageous trends. First up, 13-year-old Reina made headlines when she racked up 14,528 texts in one month! Her father, Greg, wrote an article about her excessive texting but says she's just being a teenager. What does Dr. Phil think? His observations may surprise you. Then, Gwen and Mike say they’re worried about their 12-year-old daughter who has sent risqué text messages, otherwise known as sexting, since she first owned a cell phone. When Dr. Phil meets with the preteen backstage, what does she say drives her behavior? Could she be headed down a dangerous path? Plus, 16-year-old J.R. says he allows his friends and family to sock him in the head and then posts the videos on YouTube. His mother, Tammy, says his videos are hilarious, and she supports his dream of training for the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, warns about the dangers of J.R.’s hobby. Plus, meet a teen who played the punch-out game with tragic consequences. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 18, 2009, 3:28 pm CDT

06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: hvoves

Until I viewed this show,  I had never heard of sexting.  These parents need to take away the phones if the kids cannot be responsible.  One thing that would help is if the phone companies would listen to us.  I want a simple phone that I can call out and recieve calls on.  The only option I want is a memory for important numbers and the durability to fall out the car door now and then or survive a drop off the counter.  The most basic phone I could buy to replace my old (non working) phone now has a camera, internet access, video capability, music storage and a ton of other features I never use.  Now if the phone companies would just make a simple reliable phone for the people that just need a phone, we could give that to our children so we could keep track of our teens and not have to worry about them using the phone for sexting.  We know that the phone companies will not listen so it looks like parents are going to have to act like parents and take the  phones away.
There is such a phone. It's called the Jitterbug and is usually marketed to older people who don't want all the features today's spoiled-beyond-rotten children insist on. It's only for making, and receiving calls.

June 18, 2009, 8:05 pm CDT

06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: cadescove99

He took a few too many punches to the head, I'll wager.
Yeah, me too!  I'll go double or nothing!

June 20, 2009, 3:11 pm CDT

06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: cadescove99

It is so stupid of that girl's mother to keep giving the cell phone back to her when every time it's given back, she does the same damn thing with it.

There was a time when parents realized the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior without Dr Phil telling them.

And, there's this girl's father father whining about how she dresses? That's stupid, too. How about quit buying clothes he doesn't want her wearing?

Yeah, it bumfuzzles me when parents punish their kids by taking away a phone, or other luxury that got them in trouble, then give it right back , only to repeat the process.  That phone should have been confiscated and/or destroyed.  If she was mine and I found out about the "sexting" she would have NEVER gotten it back.  If this behavoir is allowed to continue (and I hope the parents are smarteer than that),  I will be shocked if that girl doesn't wind up raped or murdered.  Unfortunately, that's the road she's taking. 

You've heard the saying "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"  That's what these young, naive girls don't understand. When they portray themselves in a sexual manner (all the while "thinking" they're doing it as a joke, or in an attempt to be accepted by peers), nine times out of ten they attract guys and men who want nothing more than to voilate them in the long run.  The only thing men like that want is THE MILK; they don't want the cow!  And the saddest thing is the girls are too naive to realize it.  And i have to say, I do blame parents that don't put a permenant stop to it!

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next Page | Last Page