Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:31:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/27/09) From sending sexual text messages to taking a punch to the face for fun, today’s teens are engaging in outrageous trends. First up, 13-year-old Reina made headlines when she racked up 14,528 texts in one month! Her father, Greg, wrote an article about her excessive texting but says she's just being a teenager. What does Dr. Phil think? His observations may surprise you. Then, Gwen and Mike say they’re worried about their 12-year-old daughter who has sent risqué text messages, otherwise known as sexting, since she first owned a cell phone. When Dr. Phil meets with the preteen backstage, what does she say drives her behavior? Could she be headed down a dangerous path? Plus, 16-year-old J.R. says he allows his friends and family to sock him in the head and then posts the videos on YouTube. His mother, Tammy, says his videos are hilarious, and she supports his dream of training for the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, warns about the dangers of J.R.’s hobby. Plus, meet a teen who played the punch-out game with tragic consequences. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2009, 11:45 am CST

Concerned parent

I would first like to start by saying it is very easy to pass a quick judgment on someone and their parenting  abilities and until you have walked in the shoes of those you are talking about you should keep your mouth shut. I also should say that I agree with a lot of what has been mentioned in the messages but, on the other side of that I feel the pain of those parents. I am a mom of 4 and stepmother to 2 of them there is a 16 year old boy and a 14 year old girl.  The boy is a great kid who is typical and the girl well she has her own set of issues. We are very involved parents and generally know everything that is going on in our home not to mention we live in a small town and what we don't catch or friends and family will let us know about. With all of this said now we have discovered a similar problem with out 14 year old daughter but our case was much worse and the problem i believe goes much deeper than just allowing a kid to have a cell phone. She not only was sending inappropriate pictures of herself to people on her phone but has also had sex in my home with me here after telling all my kids goodnight and tucking them in for the night. So you see this can happen to even the most attentive of parents and it will if the child decides to do it they will. It is not a parenting issue so much as an issue in the child is suffering from within themselves and we as parents must dig in some more and make it a priority to help them figure out why they are doing the things they are doing not draw attention to the fact that they are doing things that are inappropriate.

January 27, 2009, 12:03 pm CST

I have to agree!

Quote From: getrealtime

Thats like 700 texts per day can she still speak? lol Sounds like a addiction more then just a kid thing.
It's amazing, I managed to get through my teen years without texting anyone. Granted there wasn't the wide spread use of cell phones when I was a teen but I feel this is out of hand. Why can't kids pick up the phone like we used to do? Why can't they just talk in person? Personally I prefer the so called 'olden days' when I was a kid and life was so much more simple. I just really don't see the point to all of this.

January 27, 2009, 12:22 pm CST

Cell Phones and School

So many parents have no idea what their children are using their cell phones for.  These have become a nusiance in the school buildings.  They have their phones on vibrate or silent but still receive the messages.  It is difficult for teachers to monitor this and some students have been known to send pictures of tests to others so they can cheat on exams.  They can also send texts via their cell phone internet account.  Although there are policies against them at the school during school hours, the students are still using them.  In fact, one student got a text from her parent that she was almost to the school to pick her up.  What if this were a person that was met on the internet?  It is becoming a huge problem, I believe.

January 27, 2009, 12:41 pm CST

Parents.....PARENT!

How do you keep your kids from sexting? Or running up hundreds of dollars of text message and cell phone bills? Parents........SAY NO! "No, you don't need a cell phone."  "No, I'm not spending my hard earned money on a cell phone for a twelve year old." "No, you don't have a God given right to own a cell phone when you're twelve." When kids can afford to pay for their own cell phone, then they can have one. Why do we act as though this is an issue that is out of our control? When parents learn to say "no", then this and MANY OTHER issues will cease to be a problem for our kids. FYI....I have two kids, one is 22 and one is 19. They didn't have cell phones until they could pay for them and they are perfectly well adjusted and happy. They actually love their parents in spite of the fact that we said "No".  I am a teacher and,  parents, have you thought about how disruptive to the school environment and how incredibly disruptive to your child's education cell phones and the other electronic devices they can't live without are?

January 27, 2009, 12:49 pm CST

cell phone

Sorry, but the mother who thinks her kid being punched is more of a concern to me than the actions of children with parents who show true concern!

January 27, 2009, 1:29 pm CST

This trend of texting rather than talking is horrific.

The habit is lowering the standard of communication for all.  As a Senior Manager at a large company I can tell the age of a younger employee by the style of their message.  Choosing the text, IM, or other has resulted in inappropriateness when it comes to communication.  I am often in the role of convincing an employee that what they have sent via instant message, e-mail, and text is offensive or abusive.  Messages are often sent that would never be spoken aloud.  Courtesy has gone out the window and it is a huge a problem.  You are dead wrong to not have a problem with such a huge volume of text communication.

January 27, 2009, 1:43 pm CST

take control

January 27, 2009, 1:46 pm CST

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY FRIENDS

Dear Dr. Phil

I really need your help. My 2 friends are sending nasty pics but my bff say it is not her it is a the other girl, and the nasty pics are being seen in school to all the boys that my 2 friends know and hang out with. what do i do Dr. Phil, can u help me.

January 27, 2009, 1:52 pm CST

so i agree children have to much access. I am a parent guilty of giving my child a cell phone however it was out of need. The problem is that children think cells phone are a right not a priviledge. Once i realized that my cell phone provider offer a w

Quote From: joannbhunt

So many parents have no idea what their children are using their cell phones for.  These have become a nusiance in the school buildings.  They have their phones on vibrate or silent but still receive the messages.  It is difficult for teachers to monitor this and some students have been known to send pictures of tests to others so they can cheat on exams.  They can also send texts via their cell phone internet account.  Although there are policies against them at the school during school hours, the students are still using them.  In fact, one student got a text from her parent that she was almost to the school to pick her up.  What if this were a person that was met on the internet?  It is becoming a huge problem, I believe.

January 27, 2009, 1:54 pm CST

so i agree children have to much access. I am a parent guilty of giving my child a cell phone however it was out of need. The problem is that children think cells phone are a right not a priviledge. Once i realized that my cell phone provider offer a w

Quote From: joannbhunt

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last