Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:31:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/27/09) From sending sexual text messages to taking a punch to the face for fun, today’s teens are engaging in outrageous trends. First up, 13-year-old Reina made headlines when she racked up 14,528 texts in one month! Her father, Greg, wrote an article about her excessive texting but says she's just being a teenager. What does Dr. Phil think? His observations may surprise you. Then, Gwen and Mike say they’re worried about their 12-year-old daughter who has sent risqué text messages, otherwise known as sexting, since she first owned a cell phone. When Dr. Phil meets with the preteen backstage, what does she say drives her behavior? Could she be headed down a dangerous path? Plus, 16-year-old J.R. says he allows his friends and family to sock him in the head and then posts the videos on YouTube. His mother, Tammy, says his videos are hilarious, and she supports his dream of training for the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, warns about the dangers of J.R.’s hobby. Plus, meet a teen who played the punch-out game with tragic consequences. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2009, 2:45 pm CST

Parents are responsible

I understand that most teens need a cell phone out of necessity. So i don't think the phones should be taken away from them.  But why don't parents know what their teens are using the cell phones for? I don't understand why Gwen and Mike the parents of the 12 year old girl did not just simply block text  on their daughters phone? Then she could not send or receive messages. Parents need to be more knowledgeable about what their cell phone carriers offer and then maybe they would be more aware of what features are on the phone and the possibility of what the features could be used for.

January 27, 2009, 2:53 pm CST

OMg!

I am Appalled and saddened that in this country, you need a license to shot a duck but ANYONE can have a child. Tammy, Wake up, take a step back and take a look at what you are doing, allowing. You have a beautiful child, cherish him and teach him to respect himself.

January 27, 2009, 2:53 pm CST

txting vs ppl skills

my teen daughter has always been happy, active, and has a lot of friends.  this texting phenomenum has  taken the place of developing social skills.  recently, while driving with my daughter i asked her who she was texting... the only information she could offer me about this friend/classmate was her 1st name, her bf's name, and her lunch period. i was amazed that she's known her for a year and had no idea where she lives, her last name, her gpa, whether she has biological siblings or her goals for the future.

teens today are forming relationships around their 'telecommunicative' devices. they rarely communicate verbally at school anymore because they spend idle moments texting eachother even while in the same class or sitting across one another in the cafeteria.

i would love to be an advocate with other parents for one week w/o texting for teens. on the other hand, the withdrawal that might have on them... i'd rather not think about it!

January 27, 2009, 3:05 pm CST

Crazy Teen Trends

This is my first time posting a comment on this board but I was so disgusted watching the show today that I felt the need to voice my opinion.  I could not believe that the parents of the boy who did the punching for entertainment sat up on that stage and thought it was funny!!!  They need to be put away or need some serious therapy.  I have a 13 year old son and thank goodness the most dangerous thing he does at the moment is skateboarding, but I could never imagine finding humor in something as dangerous as punching in the face.  Especially, knowing that the ultimate consequence could be possible death.  It totally sickens me and I hope that they get on this website and view these comments.

January 27, 2009, 3:14 pm CST

Wanting to be UFC fighter

I can not believe that parents would partake in this.  My brother is a UFC fighter.  He has fought in the UFC three times, along with many other fights in other organizations.  What I don't understand is how parents are encouraging their son to do this, but not educating themselves on such a violent sport.  I am a fan of the UFC.  I am not saying don't go after becoming a fighter,  but come on.  My brother has had one adult concussion.  He had  several as a child.  He is actually very sensitive to concussions.  His concussion in the UFC ring came from getting hit in the chin/jaw line.  Right were this kid was letting people hit him.  He sat at of training and professionally fighting for 90 days, not 30.  His was a mild concussion.  Not only that, but if he were to get two more, his career is over.  Had it been severe, with his previous concussions,  that might of have been it.  Also, he would tell you that 90% of there training he does is defense.  Learning to avoid being hit to the head!  How two intelligent parents couldn't come up with that concept on the own - a little scary.  Had they taken there son to a professional training, that would have been the first thing they all learned.  Come on people, this parenting thing really isn't  that hard.

January 27, 2009, 3:21 pm CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: whoopi2

my teen daughter has always been happy, active, and has a lot of friends.  this texting phenomenum has  taken the place of developing social skills.  recently, while driving with my daughter i asked her who she was texting... the only information she could offer me about this friend/classmate was her 1st name, her bf's name, and her lunch period. i was amazed that she's known her for a year and had no idea where she lives, her last name, her gpa, whether she has biological siblings or her goals for the future.

teens today are forming relationships around their 'telecommunicative' devices. they rarely communicate verbally at school anymore because they spend idle moments texting eachother even while in the same class or sitting across one another in the cafeteria.

i would love to be an advocate with other parents for one week w/o texting for teens. on the other hand, the withdrawal that might have on them... i'd rather not think about it!

I see the point about not knowing her last name or even where she lives, but GPA?

January 27, 2009, 3:32 pm CST

my brother

I have an older brother who wants a cell phone a lot and i also do. Now I understand why.

January 27, 2009, 3:39 pm CST

I think you are so wrong, Dr. Phil

Its quite sad to see such a smart man get onto a topic that he is dealing with all wrong.  That poor little girl does NOT need a map done of her brain.   She does not need any of what you are talking about...she needs a good friend, a best friend, a good group of girls to hang out with and confidence.  Confidence in herself as a young lady.  She needs some sort of program whether it be dance, singing, or a Dove program.  Every young lady goes through this...I did.  I'm fine now.  I'm strong, I'm a wonderful mother to two girls myself now.  Putting her through that will not help her at her age.  It will make it worse...  You said she's a good girl and is more good than not, so why do that to her.  Kids also rebel.  PLEASE, to her parents...don't put her through that.  I'll talk to her.  She needs a friend and confidence. 

January 27, 2009, 3:54 pm CST

please people

first, this family should be reported to the authorities for child abuse (i assume this young man is under 18) and secondly, they should be nominated for the Darwin Awards. good heavens

January 27, 2009, 4:12 pm CST

Teen Trends: The Grandmother playing the punching game?

I don't agree with kids having cell phones.  I would like to see kids being kids for as long as they can. Kids grow up too fast.  I was disgusted on today's show when I saw the grandmother punching her grandson and laughing.  The mother was filming it and laughing too.  What's going on these days in the family home? It's a sad day in America when something like this happens.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last