Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:31:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/27/09) From sending sexual text messages to taking a punch to the face for fun, today’s teens are engaging in outrageous trends. First up, 13-year-old Reina made headlines when she racked up 14,528 texts in one month! Her father, Greg, wrote an article about her excessive texting but says she's just being a teenager. What does Dr. Phil think? His observations may surprise you. Then, Gwen and Mike say they’re worried about their 12-year-old daughter who has sent risqué text messages, otherwise known as sexting, since she first owned a cell phone. When Dr. Phil meets with the preteen backstage, what does she say drives her behavior? Could she be headed down a dangerous path? Plus, 16-year-old J.R. says he allows his friends and family to sock him in the head and then posts the videos on YouTube. His mother, Tammy, says his videos are hilarious, and she supports his dream of training for the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, warns about the dangers of J.R.’s hobby. Plus, meet a teen who played the punch-out game with tragic consequences. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2009, 4:16 pm CST

Sexting

What is wrong with the people in our world anymore? Have they forgot who the parent is and how to parent? For god's sake that  is a 12 year old, who bought the phone & pays the flipping bill? Duh, it is the parent and they have the control or should!!! Buy a phone with out a camera!! Do not include texting in phone package of options you pay for!! And if you can't then take the damn thing away, YOU are the parent be fricken resposable.

I hear and see so many things I think are just so WRONG on so MANY levels in the society we live in today it makes me sick at times. I personally feel that is what is so WRONG with society today is parents are not allowed to discipline their child/chilren it is deemed as child abuse. I can tell you only once did my daughter ever threaten to call the police on me for child abuse and I told her here go for it if you really want to find out the difference between discipline and child abouse and handed her the phone. She didn't call!

January 27, 2009, 5:37 pm CST

Sexting

Are you kidding me?? She is 12 years old who is the parent here? You are the parents not her! If you dont want her to send naked pictures or have sex then punish her. Dont let her hang out with dumb friends, take away her phone, etc. There are a ton of things you can do yet you just sit there and let her do that. Grow up and be an adult and take care of your kid!!

January 27, 2009, 6:29 pm CST

YES!

Quote From: jewelsf

When I use my phone for texting there are additional charges involved. Because of this I rarely ever text and only receive them when I have to or don't have any control over who sends one. Am I missing something here? Can you rack up over 1000 texts in one month without having a huge bill? And sending photos also includes an additional charge per use. Are there plans where all of this is free or with only a small one time monthly fee? If not, then why do parents allow this to happen and have to pay a huge cell bill on top of not knowing what your child is up to? Another option is to have this service discontinued on the plan and then the children can't get into this kind of trouble. Personally I can live quite well without ever having to text. I've removed all of these additional services from my own plan because I don't want to pay for the extra charges. Cell phone bills are high enough as it is after they tack on all of the taxes, surcharges, etc.
That's exactly what i was thinking too! Ok, maybe not a psychological problem but a real problem if parents are paying these bills! Also, the fact that she thinks this is funny is so disrespectful!
I have done the same thing, taking things off my plan like that. I kept texting but took off the plan of unlimited weekends because it got me into the habit and then i just continued into my paying time. I am living fine without all of it too!

And what, preytell, is wrong with taking away cell for good??? So what if she is mad at you? We (As i'm a parent as well) are not their friends! We are their parents. Dr. Phil, totally disappointed in your response to this one.

Also to the person who was commenting on how he repeats shows...I KNOW!!! I've noticed it too! And Oprah is doing the same thing. I'm noticing myself deleting many days (i tape) because of this.

January 27, 2009, 6:41 pm CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: zellersgsg

i'm completely baffled by children 'needing' cell phones.  i'm a grown woman i wouldn't classify a cell phone as a 'need'.  can some one give me a relatively valid reason for a kid having a cell phone?  especially those of middle school age or lower?

I wish i could give you a reason but i can't....
Seriously, you are right, there is no need whatsoever. This is a societal problem with parents. I've said no to my daughter who's 4 plenty of times. And as any parent knows, when a kid throws a tantrum, it isn't fun nor is it easy. But guess what? I've gotten through it. Kid wants phone? IF you say yes, set rules and give only basic abilities. No texting and pay as you go. But tell them only one card per month rather than every time they run out of minutes they get new one. That's where i ran into trouble (as an adult mind u).

Parents: SET LIMITS!! Who cares if they get mad and say that their friends all have. You know what you say? "So?" That's it. That's all. Enough of this pampering to children. You parents like that make us normal ones have a more difficult time than we need to have. I'm so sick of this! UGH!

January 27, 2009, 6:43 pm CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: murphyslaw2

What is wrong with the people in our world anymore? Have they forgot who the parent is and how to parent? For god's sake that  is a 12 year old, who bought the phone & pays the flipping bill? Duh, it is the parent and they have the control or should!!! Buy a phone with out a camera!! Do not include texting in phone package of options you pay for!! And if you can't then take the damn thing away, YOU are the parent be fricken resposable.

I hear and see so many things I think are just so WRONG on so MANY levels in the society we live in today it makes me sick at times. I personally feel that is what is so WRONG with society today is parents are not allowed to discipline their child/chilren it is deemed as child abuse. I can tell you only once did my daughter ever threaten to call the police on me for child abuse and I told her here go for it if you really want to find out the difference between discipline and child abouse and handed her the phone. She didn't call!

Hehehe. i agree. But i'm laughing cuz i said the same thing to my mom when i was a kid and she did the same thing you did and i responded the same way your daughter did! Funny! GREAT parenting, kudos!

January 27, 2009, 7:10 pm CST

The punching "game"

I watched with my jaw on the floor as this boy's mother laughed at how funny it was that her son was encouraging others to punch him in the face, and she and her husband solemnly expressed their support for their son as he builds up a resistance to being punched in the head.  Right.  These people think you can build up a resistance to HEAD TRAUMA!!!  I'm at a loss for words, this is so ridiculous.  Maybe his parents had some sort of head trauma...

January 27, 2009, 7:12 pm CST

I am Mom

I don't want to get into a debate but I just want to say that I am the 12 year olds mother.  You all can rest assured that the phone is gone.  I am so glad that you all are perfect parents and therefore can pass judgement on me and my husband who love our daughter very much.  This issue goes much deeper than what you see on television.  Our daughter's issues are not just "phone" related.  Have we made mistakes....absolutely.  Should we have never gotten her a cell phone...absolutely.  Should we have removed it much sooner...You got it.  We are trying and we do want to help our daughter.  That is the only reason we stepped foot on that stage is because we know Dr. Phil can help with the issues that go so much deeper than you have seen.  As a mother that used to pass so much judgement like this on others I have learned never to cast a stone until you know the whole story and have walked in someone else's footsteps.

January 27, 2009, 7:48 pm CST

I am glad...

Quote From: mgshep

I don't want to get into a debate but I just want to say that I am the 12 year olds mother.  You all can rest assured that the phone is gone.  I am so glad that you all are perfect parents and therefore can pass judgement on me and my husband who love our daughter very much.  This issue goes much deeper than what you see on television.  Our daughter's issues are not just "phone" related.  Have we made mistakes....absolutely.  Should we have never gotten her a cell phone...absolutely.  Should we have removed it much sooner...You got it.  We are trying and we do want to help our daughter.  That is the only reason we stepped foot on that stage is because we know Dr. Phil can help with the issues that go so much deeper than you have seen.  As a mother that used to pass so much judgement like this on others I have learned never to cast a stone until you know the whole story and have walked in someone else's footsteps.

You and your family are getting help for the issues.

Since I am not a parent, I would never judge someone on how they are raising their kids.  My issue is with cell phones in general - and not just kids having them but why they have them and how they use them as well as how adults use them.  This is not an issue strictly affecting kids, but society.  Kids learn from adults.

January 27, 2009, 8:41 pm CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: mgshep

I am sorry you are going through this I can't imagine how you feel. I am just glad that you are getting help for her and that you are stopping this before it gets worse. People don't know how easy it is for a kid to get caught up in these things. I bet half the parents on here who are critisizing really don't know what their kids do when they are not around. My mother had no idea about some the things that I used to do. I did most of it just because I wanted attention.

I will pray for you and your daughter. I hope that she learns to respect herself and becomes a strong secure teen. My heart goes out to you and your family.

January 27, 2009, 8:48 pm CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: zellersgsg

i'm completely baffled by children 'needing' cell phones.  i'm a grown woman i wouldn't classify a cell phone as a 'need'.  can some one give me a relatively valid reason for a kid having a cell phone?  especially those of middle school age or lower?

I am raising my teen sister and she needs a cell phone. She needs it so when she is out I can get a hold of her or her call me. For me and my family it is about safety. She walks home from school sometimes or she takes walks around the neighborhood, what if something were to happen? With a cell phone she could hit speed dial and someone would be there asap. Or what if she went to party that got out of hand and she needed someone to come get her? Her having a cell is about knowing where she is at and keeping her safe. The good thing is she doesn't abuse the cell phone like so many other teens. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last