Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 Crazy Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 103
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:31:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/27/09) From sending sexual text messages to taking a punch to the face for fun, today’s teens are engaging in outrageous trends. First up, 13-year-old Reina made headlines when she racked up 14,528 texts in one month! Her father, Greg, wrote an article about her excessive texting but says she's just being a teenager. What does Dr. Phil think? His observations may surprise you. Then, Gwen and Mike say they’re worried about their 12-year-old daughter who has sent risqué text messages, otherwise known as sexting, since she first owned a cell phone. When Dr. Phil meets with the preteen backstage, what does she say drives her behavior? Could she be headed down a dangerous path? Plus, 16-year-old J.R. says he allows his friends and family to sock him in the head and then posts the videos on YouTube. His mother, Tammy, says his videos are hilarious, and she supports his dream of training for the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, warns about the dangers of J.R.’s hobby. Plus, meet a teen who played the punch-out game with tragic consequences. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2009, 4:21 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Crazy Doctor Phil Teen Trend. Heck every teen do get crazy all over the world and it is not good at all. See-

you on Tuesday Janurary 27th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------

January 26, 2009, 7:12 am CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

If parents watched their children better get involved in what they are doing with cell phones and computers

the preditors that are out their can't get to them it's when we let kids have free roam of the computer and not checking to see where they are going on it and telling others that their kid is a good kid and would never go on any bad sites or into chat rooms those parents have blinders on or just don't care

January 26, 2009, 3:09 pm CST

MY Teens

We have 4 teens two 15 yr olds girl and boy a 17 yr old boy and 19 yr old girl .they all have cell phones with txt that is unlimited. We do keep this monitered and on an avarage our 15 yr old daughter txt 14,000 to 22,000 txt a month  to her friends and family of course.. Do we know what they txt no are they perfect no child is, but we do take the phones at anytime and look at what we want and that is with any of them. I beleive the kids are being normal. If we see that they would be acting out  theyre phones and other things are taken away.. Yes some kids are doing the wrong things on their phones and if our kids do this would happen to them. Im guessing some parents dont monitor what their children are doing on a daily bases but we do so i really dont see a problem with this. Yes their does need to be limits and their is thats called good schooling, grades,  and doing well in life.  I feel the kids are doing great and are coming along well .

January 26, 2009, 5:23 pm CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

I have a question, why the F does a 12 year old have a cell phone in the first place? Take the Fing phone away from her. She's 12 years old, there's no reason for her to have one. I didn't have a cell phone when I was 12 and I'm still alive today. Parents are b******s these days. I know for a fact these kids aren't paying the bills for these phones. The problem with parents these days, they can't say NO. You don't get everything you want in life, why teach your kids the opposite?

January 27, 2009, 6:21 am CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

Quote From: susieblaylock

We have 4 teens two 15 yr olds girl and boy a 17 yr old boy and 19 yr old girl .they all have cell phones with txt that is unlimited. We do keep this monitered and on an avarage our 15 yr old daughter txt 14,000 to 22,000 txt a month  to her friends and family of course.. Do we know what they txt no are they perfect no child is, but we do take the phones at anytime and look at what we want and that is with any of them. I beleive the kids are being normal. If we see that they would be acting out  theyre phones and other things are taken away.. Yes some kids are doing the wrong things on their phones and if our kids do this would happen to them. Im guessing some parents dont monitor what their children are doing on a daily bases but we do so i really dont see a problem with this. Yes their does need to be limits and their is thats called good schooling, grades,  and doing well in life.  I feel the kids are doing great and are coming along well .

Thats like 700 texts per day can she still speak? lol Sounds like a addiction more then just a kid thing.

January 27, 2009, 7:29 am CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

This is an easy fix...take away the cell phones! We have an almost 16 year old and 13 year that ask almost every day for a cell phone. We just say no! I have also had my 8 year old ask! It is RIDICULOUS that a 12 year old has a phone!

January 27, 2009, 8:37 am CST

Sextexting!

Dr. Phil,  Hello, First you know this is illegal!!  AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER EXPRESSED as so!  ALSO I feel Dr. Phil should have aid out betterjust what will or could happen to the girl and others that recieve and send on message!!!?!?!  THIS is a matter that is GETTING way out of control!!  And I do agree that way to many kids have phones!  My opinion NO CHILD needs a phone who doesn't drive!!  There would be no need!!   BUT seriously, these teens DO NOT understand for whatever reason what this can do to their future!!!  If they are charged with a sex crime the would have to register as a sex offender for the rest of their life!!  Also it puts an end to many careers!! Such as any law enforcement, political, any branch in the Military, etc.. They just realize and Dr. Phil had the chance to express and explain all that to all his viewers!....Opportunity MISSED!!!!!

January 27, 2009, 11:17 am CST

The Topics!

Is anyone starting to notice that the topics are beginning to be repeated on the show, just new people as guest's? There are so many other topics available to share with the world, some of them incredibly important yet I'm noticing that it's the same over and over again. Just a new season and different faces. I have always enjoyed watching the Dr. Phil show, I watched it everyday! But I'm burnt out on the same topics that have been run into the ground and rarely watch the show anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this besides me?

January 27, 2009, 11:26 am CST

Texting!

When I use my phone for texting there are additional charges involved. Because of this I rarely ever text and only receive them when I have to or don't have any control over who sends one. Am I missing something here? Can you rack up over 1000 texts in one month without having a huge bill? And sending photos also includes an additional charge per use. Are there plans where all of this is free or with only a small one time monthly fee? If not, then why do parents allow this to happen and have to pay a huge cell bill on top of not knowing what your child is up to? Another option is to have this service discontinued on the plan and then the children can't get into this kind of trouble. Personally I can live quite well without ever having to text. I've removed all of these additional services from my own plan because I don't want to pay for the extra charges. Cell phone bills are high enough as it is after they tack on all of the taxes, surcharges, etc.

January 27, 2009, 11:41 am CST

01/27 Crazy Teen Trends

I would first like to start by saying it is very easy to pass a quick judgment on someone and their parenting  abilities and until you have walked in the shoes of those you are talking about you should keep your mouth shut. I also should say that I agree with a lot of what has been mentioned in the messages but, on the other side of that I feel the pain of those parents. I am a mom of 4 and stepmother to 2 of them there is a 16 year old boy and a 14 year old girl.  The boy is a great kid who is typical and the girl well she has her own set of issues. We are very involved parents and generally know everything that is going on in our home not to mention we live in a small town and what we don't catch or friends and family will let us know about. With all of this said now we have discovered a similar problem with out 14 year old daughter but our case was much worse and the problem i believe goes much deeper than just allowing a kid to have a cell phone. She not only was sending inappropriate pictures of herself to people on her phone but has also had sex in my home with me here after telling all my kids goodnight and tucking them in for the night. So you see this can happen to even the most attentive of parents and it will if the child decides to do it they will. It is not a parenting issue so much as an issue in the child is suffering from within themselves and we as parents must dig in some more and make it a priority to help them figure out why they are doing the things they are doing not draw attention to the fact that they are doing things that are inappropriate.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last