Message Boards

Topic : 04/15 Honeymoon Hangover

Number of Replies: 46
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:32:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/28/09) Are you a newlywed suffering from honeymoon hangover? It’s when the vacation in the Bahamas is over, the dress is put away and couples realize there’s an important thing they now have to face: Marriage. Dr. Phil is shocked to find how little couples know about each other before they walk down the aisle. Jeremy and Tamarra have been married for only eight months, and they wonder if their marriage can be saved. Jeremy says Tamarra is so clingy that he’s had to give up everything he enjoys in order to spend time with her. Tamarra says being married means doing everything together, so why wouldn’t Jeremy want to spend every free minute with her? Dr. Phil gives them a newlywed quiz. How well do they really know each other? Then, Mandy says her husband of three years did a 180-degree turn after they got married and changed his mind about an important value they shared: faith in God. Now, Nic says he’s an atheist, and Mandy is worried about what this means for their marriage and their family. Plus, Dr. Phil answers important questions from engaged couples: Should partners open a joint checking account? Do you need to get along with your future spouse’s family? How much do you need to know about your partner’s past? If you’re about to tie the knot, grab a pen and paper and make sure you know these important facts about your mate! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 28, 2009, 1:53 pm CST

for Christian wife and seeking 'atheist' husband

To the Christian &  seeking "atheist" husband on this show:

There is so much out there if you want the truth!  One of the best books was written by a man whose original intention was to disprove Christianity.  Josh Mc Dowell wrote Evidence That Demands a Verdict, volumes 1 & 2 to publish his studies.  Now it's all in one book:

The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict Fully Updated To Answer The Questions Challenging Christians Today (Hardcover)

by Josh McDowell (Author)

I'm sure you can get it many places, but Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Demands-Questions-Challenging-Christians/dp/0785243631

He's written many other books too, so you don't need to check in your brain at the door.  I know there is another man with a similar experience (searching then full confidence in Christ), but I can't think of his name now.

On top of it all, God promises that if you search for Him with ALL YOUR HEART, YOU WILL FIND HIM!!!

January 28, 2009, 2:10 pm CST

It's not our job, it's His

Quote From: kwkkba5

You were right to say to Sandy that she should keep praying for her husband.  But, you were way off the mark to say that she needs to tolerate and accept her husband's beliefs.  Christians are told that they should accept all other religious beliefs and yet our government legislates our rights away every chance they get.  We are not called to accept.  We are called to be a light.  We are called to "go into all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...and teach them ALL I have commanded"  Matt.28:19-20. 

Something many Christians seem to forget, is that it is not our job to make people become Christians.  It is indeed our job to let our light shine, or to let the Spirit move us, or for it move within us, but it also is THE SPIRIT'S job, to bring someone to faith, and then that person's job to accept it or not.  All we have to do is live our life of faith and God will make certain that He places people and experiences around the unfaithful or questioning/doubting, that will give them plenty of opportunity in their lives to come to Him.  It is not OUR job.  It is the Spirit's job.

Just like it is not our job to judge.  Even Christ did not come to judge.  That is God's job.  (and there is a huge difference between good discernment and judgement)

If we concentrate more on living our own Christ centered life, we wouldn't have such issues with trying to do God's job.  MHO

January 28, 2009, 2:12 pm CST

There is more

Quote From: hopeforyou

To the Christian &  seeking "atheist" husband on this show:

There is so much out there if you want the truth!  One of the best books was written by a man whose original intention was to disprove Christianity.  Josh Mc Dowell wrote Evidence That Demands a Verdict, volumes 1 & 2 to publish his studies.  Now it's all in one book:

The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict Fully Updated To Answer The Questions Challenging Christians Today (Hardcover)

by Josh McDowell (Author)

I'm sure you can get it many places, but Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Demands-Questions-Challenging-Christians/dp/0785243631

He's written many other books too, so you don't need to check in your brain at the door.  I know there is another man with a similar experience (searching then full confidence in Christ), but I can't think of his name now.

On top of it all, God promises that if you search for Him with ALL YOUR HEART, YOU WILL FIND HIM!!!

Nick, if you would please look into fatima.  You can research this on the computer and there are books about this miracle that 70,000 people witnessed.

January 28, 2009, 2:42 pm CST

Who is he kidding?

I came in on this show after it had already started so I don't know the names of the first couple but really?  This guy cannot change that he is not into women.  She can lay down as many rules as she likes and it wouldn't make any difference.  She is not a dude and this guy likes dudes.

January 28, 2009, 3:07 pm CST

Dr.Phil Disappoints

As an agnostic, I have to say that his words to the wife of the atheist were incredibly condescending to those of us "non-believers." To paraphrase, he said, "wait it out, he might come around," as if to imply that there is something wrong with the husbands' way of thinking. Dr.Phil says that the Christian way is to be open and non-judgmental, yet he can't help but let his own prejudices seep out. The result is that he implies his judgment without saying it directly. It's condescending and narrow-minded. I've lost some respect for him today.

January 28, 2009, 3:21 pm CST

I think you may have something

Quote From: hope4change

I came in on this show after it had already started so I don't know the names of the first couple but really?  This guy cannot change that he is not into women.  She can lay down as many rules as she likes and it wouldn't make any difference.  She is not a dude and this guy likes dudes.
I did not see the entire show but will be watching it after the news and it did seem that he was not in touch with himself, or in denial. I was thinking that maybe the reason he resents his wife like he does is that he has not realized maybe some things that he would rather keep in the closet.

January 28, 2009, 3:22 pm CST

01/28 Honeymoon Hangover

Quote From: marnie100

The couple should get a divorce.  She laughed throughout the interview and did not take it seriously.

He has given up everthing including college.  A real partner supports their spouse to pursue their dreams.  If she wants that many children how does she expect him to provide for them.  She is beyond selfish and is a bottomless pit.  They are to young to begin life so  miserably.    Marriage is a lifetime committment of trust and sacrifice for each other.   

Did Jeremy have no clue before marrying her that Tammara was a clinging vine? If he did, going ahead with the wedding was sheer gluttony for punishment. If Tammara hid this trait from Jeremy before he married her, she pulled the old "bait and switch" on him. Maybe he should call it quits.

January 28, 2009, 4:14 pm CST

To Mandy and Nic

I just wanted to give you some information.  There is a class called ALPHA ( you can google it.  It is taught by a man named Nicky Gumble)t hat I think would really help.  I hope that it is something the both of you would be willing to check into.  I have taken the class twice and I am a Chritstian but it is a perfect class for those who may not believe and also new belivers.  It is a non-judgemental, open, no pressure class that lasts approx. 10 weeks.  I can't say enough about it.  As soon as I heard your story I knew immediately I had to pass on the information.  Good luck to the both of you and I hope and pray that you both can come together, not only for yourselves but your children. 

January 28, 2009, 4:33 pm CST

Nic and Mandy

Nic and Mandy,

Please read "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.  You can buy it at Borders or any Christian bookstore.  I think that it has the evidence that Nic is looking for. 

In Christ's Love,

Mindy

January 28, 2009, 5:04 pm CST

What's the Atheist on your show been reading?

Has he read my book, "Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity?"

It's getting som egreat reviews seen in this link:

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-i-became-atheist.html

Cheers,

John W. Loftus

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last