Message Boards

Topic : 04/15 Honeymoon Hangover

Number of Replies: 46
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:32:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/28/09) Are you a newlywed suffering from honeymoon hangover? It’s when the vacation in the Bahamas is over, the dress is put away and couples realize there’s an important thing they now have to face: Marriage. Dr. Phil is shocked to find how little couples know about each other before they walk down the aisle. Jeremy and Tamarra have been married for only eight months, and they wonder if their marriage can be saved. Jeremy says Tamarra is so clingy that he’s had to give up everything he enjoys in order to spend time with her. Tamarra says being married means doing everything together, so why wouldn’t Jeremy want to spend every free minute with her? Dr. Phil gives them a newlywed quiz. How well do they really know each other? Then, Mandy says her husband of three years did a 180-degree turn after they got married and changed his mind about an important value they shared: faith in God. Now, Nic says he’s an atheist, and Mandy is worried about what this means for their marriage and their family. Plus, Dr. Phil answers important questions from engaged couples: Should partners open a joint checking account? Do you need to get along with your future spouse’s family? How much do you need to know about your partner’s past? If you’re about to tie the knot, grab a pen and paper and make sure you know these important facts about your mate! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2009, 4:29 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Erica Hang Honey Jay Moon Over Phil/Robin. I  will bet that Erica Jay Robin all got hangover from---

their wedding. See you on Wednesday 28th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------

January 25, 2009, 2:52 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Hang Honey Moon Over Phil/Robin. I am  glad that I will never get marry at all. See you on Wedne--

day Janurary 28th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------ 

January 28, 2009, 7:29 am CST

01/28 Honeymoon Hangover

The couple should get a divorce.  She laughed throughout the interview and did not take it seriously.

He has given up everthing including college.  A real partner supports their spouse to pursue their dreams.  If she wants that many children how does she expect him to provide for them.  She is beyond selfish and is a bottomless pit.  They are to young to begin life so  miserably.    Marriage is a lifetime committment of trust and sacrifice for each other.   

January 28, 2009, 7:40 am CST

Evidence for Nick's Faith

My encouragement for Nick and Mandy is that there is evidence for the faith that Nick is still searching for. 

A good start is the book:      Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. 

Not only would it be good for Nick to read, but Mandy should read it too because she needs to have an answer for Nick (or anyone) when asked "Why do you believe?"  They are a beauthiful couple with precious children - and there is HOPE.

January 28, 2009, 8:33 am CST

Highly relatable

As I was watching today's episode- I felt as if I was Tamara and my fiance, Michael, was Jeremy!  Usually I can watch the Dr. Phil show and somewhat relate to some of the guests, but to completely relate to the main couple on the show threw me for a loop!
When my fiance is done with work- I like him to come straight home because I like to have dinner together. 2 weeks ago he started to work out at his workplace for 1 hour 3 days a week after he got out of work. That did not sit well with me! We argued the first week about it! Now I've accepted that coming home 1 hour later 3 days a week is not an unreasonable request. Furthermore, I get pouty if he wants to hang out with his guy friends. I think "I want to spend all my time with him- why doesn't he want to spend all his time with me?".
Upon further reflection I really think what it boils down to on Tamara's and also my part, is that there is a lack of self esteem. We need affirmation from our significant other ALL the time and if our partners are not with us, thinking about us, etc. we get pouty and think our needs are not being met. When in reality, we just need to be "ok" with ourselves and realize just because our partners want a life apart from us- that it isn't because of a lack of love.  They need to do their own thing for awhile because when they do- they will lovelingly come back to us all refreshed and ready to give us attention because they are  fulfilled inside.
Another thing that comes to mind when I think my and Tamara's situation is that I think we are afraid that when our guys do "the other stuff" that doesn't involve us (i.e. working out, hanging out with the guys, etc) that they will have SO much fun doing those things that they will "forget" about us and ultimately want to do those things INSTEAD of being with us ALL the time. Its unrealistic thinking- I realize that- but that's how I feel. Its kind of a control issue. We want to be their all because they are our all to us.
Last thing that I want to add- Tamara doesn't have this problem because she mentioned that her mom was her best friend- however, the only big difference between me and Tamara is that my family lives a state away. When Michael is out and about doing his own thing without me- I can't just drop on by mom's house (or my sister's house, extended family's houses, etc.) to keep me company and/or to hang out with. I'm just at home waiting for him like a puppy. I also went to a Christian University where the majority of the population are students from out of state. When I graduated- all my friends that I hung out with for 4 years suddenly packed up and left and moved out of state. So, not only are my friends gone, but my family is not around either. It makes a huge difference if you have a big support system around. Sometimes I feel that MIchael is all I have and that is why I want to hang on to him so tight and can be, well, clingy. I just wonder why Tamara is extra clingy even if she has a big support system around her (I guess I'm assuming her family is all around her and that she has a good relationship with them)? II'm not saying that I have an excuse for my clingy behavior but I may have a little more of a reason to be clingy (maybe?).

Just some thoughts....comments, questions, concerns?

January 28, 2009, 12:35 pm CST

She needs to get a life

Does she have a job? If not why. In this economy she should be happy he has a job. She needs to grow up and get a life. Go to work

January 28, 2009, 12:45 pm CST

Totally twisted!

Your show today about the wife who was "too clingy" got me really upset.  You made her out to be the bad guy!  My boyfriend & I have been living together for 4 years and he is always throwing stuff at me like how controlling I am or how much he has had to gie up since we got together.  For example - he would take the childrene of his ex-girlfriend out to the movies, etc. when we first starting dating & stopped doing that because it bothered me (I suppose he should have kept his ex in his life?!)  He stopped hanging out at bars after work - well I suppose I should have been okay with that to?!  We make changes/sacrifices in our lives when we enter into relationships that we are committed to - right?!  We now have a 13 month old son who takes up an enormous amount of my time as you are well aware I'm sure - but for some reason I am the one who has to ask my boyfriend to babysit for me if I want to go out or do something for myself - like exercise - however he continues to take naps everyday, go to the gym almost everyday, while I wait at home with the baby, taking care of the dinner, the older kids, his  laundry!  And did I mention - I do work also!!  Why is it that men think us women are just  "too clingy" when we expect them to be home and help take care of things - let alone to nurture the relationship?!!

January 28, 2009, 12:50 pm CST

Tell All

I made a huge mistake not telling my wife about myself but in 1970 telling anyone your Transsexual or Gay just wasn't done then. We stayed married for 37 years with 4 children and 8 grandchildren but wished it was as open then as it is now, Be true to yourself and others,

January 28, 2009, 1:08 pm CST

Loving but not accepting

You were right to say to Sandy that she should keep praying for her husband.  But, you were way off the mark to say that she needs to tolerate and accept her husband's beliefs.  Christians are told that they should accept all other religious beliefs and yet our government legislates our rights away every chance they get.  We are not called to accept.  We are called to be a light.  We are called to "go into all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit...and teach them ALL I have commanded"  Matt.28:19-20. 

January 28, 2009, 1:36 pm CST

jeremy and tamara

there is something wrong with her.. she reminds me of a stalker.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last