Message Boards

Topic : 06/22 Time to Grow Up!

Number of Replies: 45
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:35:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/29/09) As the economy struggles, many Americans are suffering financially and find themselves without extra cash in hand. Dr. Phil's guests say their money is maxed out and they're tired of supporting their adult children. Ardy and Brian say their household expenses have pushed the limits ever since Ardy's 25-year-old son, Jason, moved in. Ardy says he's lazy, unmotivated and acts like a 10-year-old. So why does she continue doling out dollars? Brian says Jason's selfish ways have gone too far, and he wants to evict the young man. You won't believe Jason's excuses. Will these parents decide to pull the plug on their ATM? Then, Maurice and Sharon say they want the best for their 24-year-old daughter, Samantha, and 21-year-old son, Jonathan, but providing for them has put them in the red to the tune of $100,000. Sharon says she'll be paying off the debt until she's 84! Do the brother and sister have a good reason for needing Mom and Dad's help, or are they living beyond their means? Dr. Phil sends the siblings back to school to learn elementary money lessons. Will they come away with a new outlook for their financial future? And, financial expert Susan Beacham shares her top money lessons to teach your children ... starting when they're kids. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 19, 2009, 11:17 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Grow Phil/Robin Time To  Up! Are you kidding me? I have grown up so what you talking about?------

See you on June Monday 22nd, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------

June 22, 2009, 1:17 pm CDT

Lazy!

I am 24 years old... almost 25 and still living at home with my parents.  This, to me, is humilating!!!  I feel horrible that I am an adult and have no choice but to live with my parents.  I, however, have a BS in education, I'm a full time teacher.  I teach summer school during the summer to help make ends meet.  I pay my own bills.  Unfortunately, teacher pay isn't good... especially where I teach.  I can't afford to live on my own, I tried and ended up maxing out a credit card (something I said I'd never do.)  I'm paying student loans and would LOVE to go back to school for my Masters degree, but can't afford to do so.  My parents understand that I'm doing my best, and they don't mind that I live here.  But, my parents are very active and I know that they would really like to have me out (but they would never tell me tha).  I just can't believe that this Jason guy is WILLINGLY living with his parents... its time to grow up and not be lazy!  I would give anything to be able to afford to move out.  What's wrong with this guy?!?!?!

June 22, 2009, 1:44 pm CDT

here we go....

ok so im not a parent like this nor am I a child that lives this way...  But I live with someone thats like that.. We live with my husbands ex step father but we pay everything and we are here to help him with bills because he cant afford it.

Here's my story.. What can we do?

We live in a 3 bedroom trailer with our daughter my father in law and his son..
We pay bills here and we buy all the food in the house. I dont work but thats because
I have a 16 month old and I am pregnant with baby number 2 and I baby sit my nieces and my nephew.
Anyway~ There are 5 people in this 3 bedroom trailer and come october or by the end of the year our other child will be here and possably the father in laws girlfriend.. The 21 year old is actually worse than this guy is here. He doesnt work he doesnt try to work, I honestly as of right ow couldnt tell you the last time that he took a shower/bath.I slashed that because he is honestly that lazy he doesnt take a shower I have never witnessed him take a shower he takes bathes like a 6 year old. He sits a plays video games and sleeps. he has just a few things around the house that he has been asigned to do because its only fair that he does contribute but guess what he still doesnt do them.. I take care of a totaly sometimes of 6 kids during the day and not only that im pregnant I am trying to support and feed up to 10 people with nearly $30 a week its horrable. I dont get any help what so ever with any of the other kids or anything. He is only supposed to do the dishes and take out the trash and to pop cans. But I have gotten to the point in my pregnancy were I cant bend over to clean the bath tub in our TINY bathroom. Its hard enough to give my 16month old a bath in that bathroom, but he cant do those few simple things. He throws a fit because he is asked to do those things. He hasnt cleaned the bathroom since I have gotten to this point in my pregnancy. My husband has been cleaning the tub when he gets out so I can attemt to give her a bath. My husband and the other guys dad work their butts off to keep a roof over our heads We are still here because if we werent they would be homeless. But if the guy doesnt want to start helping and grow up or if something doesnt happen. I am so aggravated because we cant put money up to get in our own place because we are taking care of a grown man... I am at my wits end. I need help. I feel that its not my place to jump him because Im not his mother. This hole situation is hurting my marrage and stressing me out to the point to where I cant talk I am about to blow my top I just cant do this anymore..

WHAT CAN I DO???

June 22, 2009, 1:56 pm CDT

HERE WE GO

ok so im not a parent or the child in this situation but I live in a situation like this. My husband and I along with our daughter live with my husbands ex step dad and his 21 year old son.. im going crazy here and we are only here to help the dad with his bills cause he cant do it alone. so heres my story I need help tell me what to do..

We live in a 3 bedroom trailer with our daughter my father in law and his son..
We pay bills here and we buy all the food in the house. I dont work but thats because
I have a 16 month old and I am pregnant with baby number 2 and I baby sit my nieces and my nephew.
Anyway~ There are 5 people in this 3 bedroom trailer and come october or by the end of the year our other child will be here
and possably the father in laws girlfriend.. The 21 year old is actually worse than this guy is here.
He doesnt work he doesnt try to work, I honestly as of right ow couldnt tell you the last time that he took a shower/bath.
I slashed that because he is honestly that lazy he doesnt take a shower I have never witnessed him take a shower he
takes bathes like a 6 year old. He sits a plays video games and sleeps. he has just a few things around the house that
he has been asigned to do because its only fair that he does contribute but guess what he still doesnt do them..
I take care of a totaly sometimes of 6 kids during the day and not only that im pregnant
I am trying to support and feed up to 10 people with nearly $30 a week its horrable. I dont get any help what so ever with
any of the other kids or anything. He is only supposed to do the dishes and take out the trash and to pop cans. But I have
gotten to the point in my pregnancy were I cant bend over to clean the bath tub in our TINY bathroom. Its hard enough
to give my 16month old a bath in that bathroom, but he cant do those few simple things. He throws a fit because he is asked
to do those things. He hasnt cleaned the bathroom since I have gotten to this point in my pregnancy. My husband has been cleaning
the tub when he gets out so I can attemt to give her a bath. My husband and the other guys dad work their butts off to keep a roof over our heads
We are still here because if we werent they would be homeless. But if the guy doesnt want to start helping and grow up or if something doesnt happen.
I am so aggravated because we cant put money up to get in our own place because we are taking care of a grown man... I am at my wits end.
I need help. I feel that its not my place to jump him because Im not his mother. This hole situation is hurting my marrage and stressing me out to
the point to where I cant talk I am about to blow my top I just cant do this anymore..

WHAT CAN I DO???

June 22, 2009, 4:24 pm CDT

Grown Up Loafers

I agree total with Dr. Phil.  I was a single parent of 2 boys without any father support or help.  I am old school & I was never without a job, I worked thru sickness, etc.  My boys were taught responsibilities. etc.  Besides working 2 jobs & also helping with my sisters foster where my family, were ill.  We went berry picking to make extra $$ for dinner etc.  I worked in a pizza place until I had a job.  I always taught my boys, any work is honest hard earned money.  We are all there in time of need but in the long run thats oce in a while.  They both have failies now & very caring & responsible parents & I am proud of them  Whatever it took my boys were raised in a good home. 

I feel sorry for those parents who foot the bill for their grown up "Big Kids"  I do hope they see the light.  What happens when they arent around to foot the bill.  I had alot of health problems when I was young & even had cancer.  But I made it.  & still making it.  They should grow up and let their parents have a life, now. 

Thank you~~~

Kathey from Oregon

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next Page | Last Page