Message Boards

Topic : 06/22 Time to Grow Up!

Number of Replies: 45
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:35:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/29/09) As the economy struggles, many Americans are suffering financially and find themselves without extra cash in hand. Dr. Phil's guests say their money is maxed out and they're tired of supporting their adult children. Ardy and Brian say their household expenses have pushed the limits ever since Ardy's 25-year-old son, Jason, moved in. Ardy says he's lazy, unmotivated and acts like a 10-year-old. So why does she continue doling out dollars? Brian says Jason's selfish ways have gone too far, and he wants to evict the young man. You won't believe Jason's excuses. Will these parents decide to pull the plug on their ATM? Then, Maurice and Sharon say they want the best for their 24-year-old daughter, Samantha, and 21-year-old son, Jonathan, but providing for them has put them in the red to the tune of $100,000. Sharon says she'll be paying off the debt until she's 84! Do the brother and sister have a good reason for needing Mom and Dad's help, or are they living beyond their means? Dr. Phil sends the siblings back to school to learn elementary money lessons. Will they come away with a new outlook for their financial future? And, financial expert Susan Beacham shares her top money lessons to teach your children ... starting when they're kids. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2009, 4:34 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Phil/Robin Wasted Youth. That I never of in my life. But this will do for right now. See you on Thurs--

day Janurary 29th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------

January 25, 2009, 2:43 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Mooching More No Phil. I never mooching in my entiring life. See you on Thursday  Janurary 29th,---

2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 28, 2009, 3:39 pm CST

01/29 Time to Grow Up!

What makes these spineless "parents" think they're doing the "best" for their lazy, entitlement mentalitied off-spring by spending themselves into poverty and still leaving them unable to ever survive on their own? Especially after the parental "ATM" has been bled completely dry? 

January 28, 2009, 3:48 pm CST

01/29 Time to Grow Up!

Maurice and Sharon have already let Jonathon and Samantha mooch them $100,000 in debt. And, they won't have it paid off until they're 84? Suppose they don't live that long? If  they want Jonathon and Samantha to survive, they'd better get cracking and make them get start living within their means. Starting with becoming gainfully employed.

January 28, 2009, 3:55 pm CST

01/29 Time to Grow Up!

How can parents expect their children to live within their means when they're living beyond their own means by going $100,000 in debt continuing to "support" them into their twenties, thirties, and beyond. You aren't doing you kids any favors, folks. You're "crippling" them for life.

January 28, 2009, 5:03 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Grow Mooching More No Phil Time To Up! That is new one on me. That one thing I donot do is not-

to mooching anymore. See you on Thursday Janurary 29th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----

January 29, 2009, 2:09 am CST

Get a Job!

Why didn't someone suggest enlisting in the military or going to Job Corp for these two individuals? These are two established places for young people to start. At least housing would be paid for. If in the military, an allotment can be set up to begin paying back their parents.

January 29, 2009, 7:19 am CST

THANK YOU DR PHIL!

Thank you for this show!  MY family is going through the same problem and I so want to order a copy of this show for my husband.  We are a blended family.  His 22yo son moved back in with us because he lost his job (tested positive for alcohol, says he didnt brush his teeth before work). My husband (who is not the boy's biological father, he raised him and the boy has a good relationship with his father) agreed for him to live with us, got him a good job where he works, the whole nine yards.  When he started work, we agreed on $100 a mth for rent, which he has to be reminded to pay. I started noticing that he was not paying off his bills that got behind when he lost his job around Christmas. Instead, he started putting money in his little car (he thinks he should have a show/race car, he has a NOS system and custom everything.). I told my husband that it was time to move out- if you can spen over $1000 on a car, you can certainly afford rent! My husband finally agreed and gave him a March 1st deadline.  My stepdaughter told my husband that her brother said we were kiciking him out, and now my husband wants to hedge on the deadline. I want him to see this show!  You hit the nail on the head with this one! THANK YOU!

January 29, 2009, 8:29 am CST

Stop Mooching

I have a 17 y ear old daughter that works 2 jobs , goes to school f/t and is on HOnor Roll.  She often goes from her afterschool job she works 2:30p -5p and then goes to her second job 6p-10p -  She would give anything to have the luxuries of these lazy kids.   I know in the end she will be a better person and be very successful.  Thank you for letting me see how Proud I should be of her.

January 29, 2009, 8:50 am CST

Some Kids never learn.

I have a 21 yr. old doing the same to me and to tell the truth Dr. Phil is right when he says guilt on my part is the problem. I felt guilty that I let my children down by splitting the family and divorcing their father.  But I gave my son one month to get his act together and move out.  So on Feb. 24 I will put my foot down and push him out of the safty net or nest which ever you perfer.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last