Message Boards

Topic : 02/03 Pursuing the Predator: Internet Investigations

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 30, 2009, 02:15:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Pedophiles once lurked in parks and around schoolyards, and then they prowled the playground of the World Wide Web. Now these predators have a more sinister method at their fingertips – sending explicit text messages directly to your child's cell phone. Dr. Phil examines the latest technological threats to your kids and shows you how to protect them. Joining him is Colorado detective Mike Harris, who works overtime tracking online predators. He says one piece of equipment gives him a high success rate. Find out what this device is, and how you can use it to monitor your children. Next, go behind the scenes as Mike’s unit prepares to take down a 28-year-old man allegedly texting sexually explicit material to a girl he thinks is 15. Dr. Phil cameras capture the dramatic arrest on tape. Then, 16-year-old Zoe admits that she exchanges risqué photos with men online but says this is normal teen behavior. Her mother, Sharon, says Zoe invited a man into her home whom she met online, and she worries for Zoe's safety. Dr. Phil has a stern message for the teen. And, Kyra was 12 when she was sexually assaulted by a 22-year-old man she met in a chat room. How can she pick up the pieces and move on with her life? Will her story be a wake-up call to Zoe? Plus, don’t miss the top three things you can do to save your child from cell phone perverts. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2009, 12:56 pm CST

Confused!

I just dont understand how this is considered wrong, and online dating is the new dating scene?? I dont understand how this is different?!!Whats the difference between chating like that and chatting on an online chat room. I became a member just to post this. Could someone enlighten me please?

February 3, 2009, 12:58 pm CST

My Nightmare on TV

Three years ago my daughter who was 15 and was lured away by someone from the internet. She was gone for 19 long days over Christmas and New years.  Her Brother was in Iraq.  She lived a nightmare much worst than mine.  She was taken from VA to AZ and finally found safe in NM.  She still struggles with PTSD.  My heart breaks for other children and parents that go through this experience.  My daughter is struggling but determined to make it and to help others through her music.  Tracy does not live in the past, and finds her experiences have made her who she is and she wouldn't change them.  She has overcome drugs problems, being raped, beaten etc...View her music myspace story tracytaylortheguitarchick.

February 3, 2009, 1:45 pm CST

dr phil can u relate this message to those girls who exspose them selfs to preditors

dr phil my name is amanda and i know what these parents are going through right now because i did it to my mom when i was 16 im 21 now and that past haunts me for the rest of my life i gave a 26 yr old my adress and phone number while he was in the army and i thought he was kidding about writing me and sending me things we had to move from that place because he called and told me he would be there to pick me up so we moved the next day we went and stayed at a friends house for a couple days till we could find another apartment for these gurl something worst can happen to them then what happened to me i didnt get abducted or raped or nothin like that but i was the lucky one those girls may not be they should make all these web sites for 18 or older and these 11 to 15 yr olds shouldnt be gettin cell phones its more prone to the kids that have cells cause there parents wont realy know with me i didnt get a cell phone till i turned 18 if i would have gotten 1 when i was younger i would have probley gave my number to every guy i talked to so gurls im relaying this message to you dont do it because when you guys have kids your gonna be telling them the same thing dont be a hippocrit stop being stupid.

February 3, 2009, 1:51 pm CST

toshey toshey

Quote From: mpthompson

I am sitting here watching the show and I have become so angry with the young girl(Zoe) who said..."you can tell how somone is by there myspace and the friends they keep" this young girl and that is what she is, a girl has no idea how sick people can be! How they will present themselves as a fun loving careing person, and then they wil hurt you in the most horrible way. I have 2 kids and I watch everything they do and I will always watch what they do and I will always be in there face about things and if that doesn't make me the most loved mom in the world...thats ok. As long as my kids are safe that is all that matters.

I just watched the girl who got raped...my heart goes out to her. I know what that is like and by someone I trusted, I thought I knew. That little girl is sooooo brave and I hope this gets to her. What she did to help put her rapest behind bars was incredible and I say BRAVO! I hope Zoe learns from what she heard and changes her ways. Before she gets hurt.

i agree on everything u say that is a good mother right there i have 1 of my own but right now all i realy need to worrie about is him getting kidnapped cuz hes only 19 months and i have to worrie bout him gettin malested but i hope his father or grandmother wouldnt do that to him

February 3, 2009, 1:56 pm CST

Personal Opinions

Alright so anyways heres how I feel about these teenage girls.

One I dont believe that they have had their parents there enough for them in order for them to understand rignt and wrong enough to know that what they are doing is dangerous. More I believe that what that agency is doing is doing a good job. They need to keep up with it too.

I also feel that the men sometimes arent always to blame. Not too long ago some girl had added me to her myspace, now I for one hate all the immature highschool drama queens. So I asked some of my younger sisters friends about this girl to find out that the girl whose myspace page said she was 19yr's old  was only 16. I deleted her out of my friends list leaveing her a msg letting her know that I dont deal with children.

I believe guys should have the mentality to look into these "girls" they are talking to online. Because more and more I see stuff like whats on your show today. Im not taking sides with the guys and saying your wrong by no means. Im saying that these girls need to be. A, restricted from useing such sites. B, There should be a simular investigative task force looking into these sites which by all means should force you to use an id number or some sort to register. Such as your drivers license serial number. Without it, you cant register your own account on these sites.

As disturbing as it is to see what guys do and are capable of doing, I cant entriely blame them for their actions. Especially when a girl like Zoe, or some of these other girls act.

February 3, 2009, 2:20 pm CST

This is all Bull

Alright, all you people that have commented on this, or watched the show at all should be ashamed of all the things that happened. This episode, and all the other episodes of this show I've ever seen have just been a crazy man going on a power trip involving people who are currently vulnerable. Dr. Phil knows about as much as a drunk five year old when it comes to these things.

First of all, any teen girl who is sending out nude pics on her computer should be smacked upside the head in the first place. Secondly, the parents who haven't discovered this, or who have let it happen should be smacked even HARDER upside the head. In all honesty you don't have to be a crazy parent who spies on their child all the time in order to keep them safe, just fill their head with common sense about this kind of thing. It's common sense that sending nude pictures to an older male is probably not a good idea, and if they know this and still want to do it then measures need to be taken. Rather than adopting some crazy spy program for your phone, why not try just not letting your daughter go out as much? What happened to good old fashioned grounding?

I feel SORRY for Zoey because her stupid mother dragged her onto this show to deal with a problem that apparently she didn't have the balls to deal with herself. Dr. Phil treated her rudely, like she was a 10 year old rather than 16, and the whole show basically made me want to punch him in the face. Overall I think the whole thing was a waste of time, and an issue of common sense rather than some epic struggle against online predators. It takes two people to plan a meeting folks, and if you cut off one of the contacts, then you don't have a problem.

February 3, 2009, 2:34 pm CST

What!!??

Dr Phil is living in the past. You CAN tell if someones Myspace is real. I'm 19 now and I have met SO many of my great friends from this website. I believe I have been approached by sexual predators and if you're not stupid it's easy to see and you stop talking to them. They blew it way way way out of proportion.

February 3, 2009, 2:35 pm CST

02/03 Pursuing the Predator: Internet Investigations

Quote From: bbear3

Enough is Enough! Why do these kids have cell phones in the first place? If they have one take  it away. I spend a lot of time around school kids at sporting events and see the crap all the time. Just playin with phone, droppin it, living it layin around. I do not understand why a parent would even buy a child a phone. There is no reason for these kids to have a phone on them all day and night.
Starting last August, my entire county's school system banned all cell phones. No student is allowed to bring a cell phone onto school grounds. Too many phones were being stolen. And, too many classes interrupted by incoming calls.
Many parents seem afraid not to give their kids cell phones. In case of  "emergency," they say. But, they ought to teach their kids what is and isn't an emergency. They ought to program these phones to make calls to, and receive them from numbers of their choice. And, these phones should have no texting capabilities.
Above all, parents need to "grow a pair" and take charge.

February 3, 2009, 2:38 pm CST

Quote From: kelciblair

I just dont understand how this is considered wrong, and online dating is the new dating scene?? I dont understand how this is different?!!Whats the difference between chating like that and chatting on an online chat room. I became a member just to post this. Could someone enlighten me please?
 'Fraid not. If the show didn't enlighten you, I doubt I could.

February 3, 2009, 2:45 pm CST

Quote From: mpthompson

I am sitting here watching the show and I have become so angry with the young girl(Zoe) who said..."you can tell how somone is by there myspace and the friends they keep" this young girl and that is what she is, a girl has no idea how sick people can be! How they will present themselves as a fun loving careing person, and then they wil hurt you in the most horrible way. I have 2 kids and I watch everything they do and I will always watch what they do and I will always be in there face about things and if that doesn't make me the most loved mom in the world...thats ok. As long as my kids are safe that is all that matters.

I just watched the girl who got raped...my heart goes out to her. I know what that is like and by someone I trusted, I thought I knew. That little girl is sooooo brave and I hope this gets to her. What she did to help put her rapest behind bars was incredible and I say BRAVO! I hope Zoe learns from what she heard and changes her ways. Before she gets hurt.

Kyra seemed to give Zoe pause to think about the danger she was putting herself in. Let's hope she does change her ways before something really bad happens to her.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last