Message Boards

Topic : 02/03 Pursuing the Predator: Internet Investigations

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 30, 2009, 02:15:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Pedophiles once lurked in parks and around schoolyards, and then they prowled the playground of the World Wide Web. Now these predators have a more sinister method at their fingertips – sending explicit text messages directly to your child's cell phone. Dr. Phil examines the latest technological threats to your kids and shows you how to protect them. Joining him is Colorado detective Mike Harris, who works overtime tracking online predators. He says one piece of equipment gives him a high success rate. Find out what this device is, and how you can use it to monitor your children. Next, go behind the scenes as Mike’s unit prepares to take down a 28-year-old man allegedly texting sexually explicit material to a girl he thinks is 15. Dr. Phil cameras capture the dramatic arrest on tape. Then, 16-year-old Zoe admits that she exchanges risqué photos with men online but says this is normal teen behavior. Her mother, Sharon, says Zoe invited a man into her home whom she met online, and she worries for Zoe's safety. Dr. Phil has a stern message for the teen. And, Kyra was 12 when she was sexually assaulted by a 22-year-old man she met in a chat room. How can she pick up the pieces and move on with her life? Will her story be a wake-up call to Zoe? Plus, don’t miss the top three things you can do to save your child from cell phone perverts. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2009, 2:55 pm CST

This is crazy...

I live in a small rural town in central Vermont. We had our first "amber alert" here last year, a 12 TWELVE year old girl who had been posting pictures of herself on her my space account. She thought it was all normal and that everyone else was doing it...that she would be careful. Someone abducted her from a small store and she was never seen alive again. Her parents and the surrounding communities were in shock. First, a few days after her disappearance they find a shoe under a bridge, a few days later her sweater....everyone was in a panic. Finally, after more than a week of torment her body was found, she had been severely abused sexually and physically. Why would anyone want to take that chance. Sure, maybe it does only happen occasionally....no one knows when, where, or who....I do not think children should be allowed to post on any of these sites....it is to much of a risk...

February 3, 2009, 3:01 pm CST

A message for Kyra

A message for the little girl named Kyra on the show today.

Sweetheart,
I have never ever messaged the show before, but I felt compelled to write to you after seeing you on the show today.

I want you to know how very brave you are.  I could see that you just didn't want to be there today, but you were so very brave to do it anyway.

I believe you may have saved the lives of many young girls today, and you should be proud of yourself.
I am glad that you know that what happened wasn't your fault - always remember that.

You will grow up to be happy and successful, and just as Dr. Phil said - you will meet someone and fall in love and it will be something completely different, and in a difeerent category from what happened.

I hope you get this message. My own daughter is very sick right now, and I hardly have a minute to do anything, but I felt compelled to write.

You are very brave - good job Kyra.

hugs,
Sue

February 3, 2009, 3:01 pm CST

02/03 Pursuing the Predator: Internet Investigations

Zoey doesn't seem like a bad kid at all. It's the mindset the internet has put her in. The internet is not safe if she shows behavior like that, she should be watched... I admit, I'm 16 and spend a lot of time on my laptop. But wanting to meet someone you don't really know? It's bad enough you give them the phone numbers, now they have a chance to know where you live! I do not agree that teens should not have cellphones, as long as they're responcable enough.

February 3, 2009, 3:23 pm CST

The Crazy Internet

I was One Of the first people On the Internet a Long Long Time Ago. And Unfortionatly I made some costly Mastacs and then you coulden't do what you can Now. One Of My Boyfreinds back then put a vidio of me On line and I didn't know till a Doc Asked Me if it was Me And I had to ask what was me? But I found out that a very exsposing pic of me went on line and on TV. I had to Hire Help to Get It off but who Knows How manys coppys of it there is. I know who Saw It thay look at me diffrent. It is rather inbarrising and I wish It haddent Happend.
Please don't be stuppid on the Internet...

February 3, 2009, 3:29 pm CST

I understand what the teen meant when she said you can tell how a person is by their MySpace page. Obviously you can often tell if the person isn't an out and out psychopath! What Dr. Phil should have said was just because their MySpace page seems pleasant, doesn't mean the guy is a nice person. I'm not sure Dr. Phil understand how to talk to teens, heh.

February 3, 2009, 3:31 pm CST

Furthermore, not to judge the mother, but it sounds like she was too into letting her kid be hip and cool and not paying enough attention. Too many parents want their kids to be liked, not safe.

Still, I think Dr. Phil's not going to get anywhere by having no clue what these teens are talking about.

February 3, 2009, 4:00 pm CST

wow

I am really sad for that younger girl. Because I am only a 12 year old and i have a phone and have internet access and i am really cautious about who i talk to. It is a shock to me that some of the youth in america acctually do this kind of stuff. This is really a good show and I hope that every person that watched this and that do this kind of stuff really take this show to heart.<3

February 3, 2009, 4:02 pm CST

Remember

It is very frightening to see this young girls point of view, but it reminds me of when I was 16.  I dated older men, I hitch-hiked, and I acted inapropriatley for my age. Most of the girls I grew up with shared the same outlook as Zoe, the only difference is we didn't have Myspace, we didn't meet these men in the comforts of our homes, we were sneaking out at all hours, going to parties in places our parents would never know where to find, using fake ID to get into bars in other towns...

I guess my point is, girls will struggle with the changing from child to adult, and though the means change, the danger has and will always be there. It's unfortunate and scary, but it's the exact same problem, just a new generation. 

Maybe while you're trying to get through to your daughters, think back to when you were their age, and how fearless you were, and how your mom just didn't get it. Maybe sharing your experiences, and feelings will help get your point accross.

February 3, 2009, 4:03 pm CST

As a grandmother of two beautiful girls, I worry about the dangers out there, I have taped this show and will be watching it with them.
Kira, thank-you for being so very brave and sharing your story. I do believe you have saved lives by doing this. Forsure you opened Zoey's eyes. Zoey you are a beautiful smart young women I really do hope that by hearing Kira's story you will stop your dangerous behavior. As Dr Phil told you Kira what happened to you is not your fault please believe it. The person that did this to you is a sick, evil person. Get well and may all the angels keep guard over you.

February 3, 2009, 4:06 pm CST

OMG!!!

A message for the mother of the girl with the myspace page. I'm sorry i am really bad with names. LOL

I think she should have her daughter watch a movie called StrangeLand. It's an older movie with Dee Snider, and let me tell you it scared the you know what out of me. I havn't been in a chat room since. 

Love your show!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last