Message Boards

Topic : 02/03 Pursuing the Predator: Internet Investigations

Number of Replies: 62
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 30, 2009, 02:15:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Pedophiles once lurked in parks and around schoolyards, and then they prowled the playground of the World Wide Web. Now these predators have a more sinister method at their fingertips – sending explicit text messages directly to your child's cell phone. Dr. Phil examines the latest technological threats to your kids and shows you how to protect them. Joining him is Colorado detective Mike Harris, who works overtime tracking online predators. He says one piece of equipment gives him a high success rate. Find out what this device is, and how you can use it to monitor your children. Next, go behind the scenes as Mike’s unit prepares to take down a 28-year-old man allegedly texting sexually explicit material to a girl he thinks is 15. Dr. Phil cameras capture the dramatic arrest on tape. Then, 16-year-old Zoe admits that she exchanges risqué photos with men online but says this is normal teen behavior. Her mother, Sharon, says Zoe invited a man into her home whom she met online, and she worries for Zoe's safety. Dr. Phil has a stern message for the teen. And, Kyra was 12 when she was sexually assaulted by a 22-year-old man she met in a chat room. How can she pick up the pieces and move on with her life? Will her story be a wake-up call to Zoe? Plus, don’t miss the top three things you can do to save your child from cell phone perverts. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2009, 6:36 pm CST

02/03 Pursuing the Predator: Internet Investigations

I am amazed at how this subject is always tackled by a conversation regarding the way girls need to protect themselves. Most of the discussions I have seen on this show and others are always revolving around them. When are we going to hold boys and men responsible? There are not many females who are predators. The photos are not too often passed around of boys in school naked. We all as a community need to come together and start tackling the issues involving the boys behavior. They need to be taught differently then they are now. The "boys will be boys" approach makes me sick and this is what we have to show for mothers and fathers turning the other cheek when the boys do something wrong. The boys need to be held accountable the same as the girls. Everyone out there, you have to admit, even if you are not an offender to this, you have seen it time and time again, the boys have later curfews, there bedrooms are allowed girls, their punishments are less frequent and less severe, etc. Girls do not feel they are on even keels with boys because they aren't. As long as girls are substandard then they will treat other girls as substandard and their bodies as well. Adults can be much of the solution to this problem. And, if you think that you know more than your kids about the computer, you're probably wrong. When is the last time you jumped on Youtube and searched for a video descrbing how to accomplish something in the Internet?  Well, our children do it all the time. As a matter of fact, most of the postings you will find with information regarding a computer or jailbreaking an Ipod, etc. are performed by an underage male with complete access to a computer in their room alone. Let's get more focus out there changing boys behavior.

February 3, 2009, 7:08 pm CST

way out of perspective

i have been on myspace for a long time and i have talked to people who i don't know and i have been talked to by people i don't know and it is nothing like the show is portraying on the air. i believe that teens are smarter on the internet than ever before. i understand that there are so many ways that a teen like myself can get into danger but we as teens know when something feels uncomfortable and its all about the parents helping them understand the dangers of the internet. the "secret cell phone text language" is ridiculous, i have had a cell phone for many years and i have never used or received a text like the ones that were on the show. i have given my number to people i trusted and have gotten to know. Zoe was right, you can tell wether people are fake or not with there pictures or how many friends comment them. basically the show blew the internet and cell phone dangers for teens way out of perspective, i believe its the parents job to educate their child so they don't do stupid things.

xoxo
will, 15

February 3, 2009, 7:45 pm CST

Zoe...did you get the message??

I truly hope you were listening to the little girl who was raped...it seemed as if you were, and I pray you took it to heart.

You're a beautiful young woman and I'd really hate to see your picture posted up somewhere as "missing", or have to read about yet another foolish young girl being murdered by some freak because she thought she was smart enough to "know the bad ones from the good."  Tell that to the victims of Ted Bundy!

February 3, 2009, 7:49 pm CST

Quote From: liamwasferg

i have been on myspace for a long time and i have talked to people who i don't know and i have been talked to by people i don't know and it is nothing like the show is portraying on the air. i believe that teens are smarter on the internet than ever before. i understand that there are so many ways that a teen like myself can get into danger but we as teens know when something feels uncomfortable and its all about the parents helping them understand the dangers of the internet. the "secret cell phone text language" is ridiculous, i have had a cell phone for many years and i have never used or received a text like the ones that were on the show. i have given my number to people i trusted and have gotten to know. Zoe was right, you can tell wether people are fake or not with there pictures or how many friends comment them. basically the show blew the internet and cell phone dangers for teens way out of perspective, i believe its the parents job to educate their child so they don't do stupid things.

xoxo
will, 15

Will, teenagers like yourself ALWAYS think nothing bad will ever happen to them. You all think you're immortal and you think you're smarter than everyone else.

Your brains are not yet fully developed and you are not capable of protecting yourself. The silly things you said in your post just prove my point.

Some things are simply true whether you like it, or agree with it, or not!

February 3, 2009, 9:03 pm CST

Quote From: dolfantommy

dr phil   I took my daughter to monster jam in miami dade    i invited her friend who was 13 my daughter is 11  i text my child at the event  her friend took control of my daughters phone and it progressed to them meeting the texter to meet in the restroom in dolphin stadium.  Her mom was not affected by this. i turned her phone off,   her mom got mad at me, so did my daughter, she told me she hate me!  how should i handle this      she doesnt want to talk to talk to me   my daughter  i need help

I'm certainly no expert, I can only give you suggestions.  But common sense would tell anyone you did the right thing.  In my opinion, cell phones are a privilage not a necessity for teens.  If at all possible handle her with kid gloves to re-gain her trust.  Then sit her down and calmly talk to her about possible senarios of texting strangers and meeting people online, then explain the consequences of her actions.  She should be mad at the friend if she took your daughter's phone and agreed to meet another texter in the restroom.  You may consider pointing that out as well. 

As for the mother of the friend, she was way out of line.  She's as immature as (I'm sorry to say) your daughter and her friend for texting that person.  She will be the one crying her heart out when her daughter is 6' feet under because she wanted to be big hero, friendly mom and not set boundaries or consequences.  DON'T GIVE UP!!!  Don't let a single person make you feel like you're in the wrong for protecting your 11 year old child! Your daughter will appreciate you when she has a daughter of her own.  Then, and only then will she understand your worries.

February 3, 2009, 9:05 pm CST

Quote From: cndrlla

Will, teenagers like yourself ALWAYS think nothing bad will ever happen to them. You all think you're immortal and you think you're smarter than everyone else.

Your brains are not yet fully developed and you are not capable of protecting yourself. The silly things you said in your post just prove my point.

Some things are simply true whether you like it, or agree with it, or not!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

February 3, 2009, 9:26 pm CST

Sad but true

It truly is sad to think teenage girls are so desperate that they fall right into the hands of their peers.  I won't catagorize all of them, but some, teenage boys and grown man as well convince these girl to send provocative videos, pictures and what have you over the internet/cell phones not because they want to be their friend but because they want to see just how far the girl will go to be (what she thinks is)  accepted.  That "group of boys/men" want nothing more than a reason to portray her as a slut and she's far too ignorant to figure it out. All that's going thru her mind is doing whatever it takes to be included. I don't like referring to girls as that because that's not what they are. Unfortunately, that's what they allow themselves to appear to be. 

February 3, 2009, 11:03 pm CST

Parents Need to Parent!

People always seem to blame "the changing world" for the problems they face with their children. They never look at themselves. Where were the parents in both of these stories about the teen girls? It seems to me that people aren't taking responsibilty for the mistakes they make or for the raising of their children. In this day and age it seems as though being mom and dad means concieving and having the child and letting them live in the house until they are 18.  Where are the morals, rules, and saying NO to your child? Thats virtually disappeared! Where did these little girls get the money for the cell phones and the computers? MOM and DAD! Until your child is 18 they are your responsibility, like it or not! This problem is occuring more and more because mom and dad say yes to many times, and want their child to have all that the didn't. You are not the friend, you are the parent. I am about to become a mom and I can tell you my child will not have access to the internet when I am not there to monitor them, and they will not have a cell phone that I don't monitor, if at all!

February 3, 2009, 11:08 pm CST

Yup it's..um..good and all to capture these demons who are in the hunt for young souls..BUT

what the h*ll..the courts put these monsters in jail for their measly unrepentive number of days with their small wrist smackings sentences AND then.. their back! released in MY neighbourhood!.. to START their deeds all over once again with their  5th 6th 9th 20th..100th charge,are the judges handing these "bad boy..er man,Johnny" crap to these offenders pedophiles's too?!!!!! merely catching them is such a god awful joke,and when the audience applauded in a hero's welcome like manner at the 308 pigs who got busted..i mean what the hell,the world is 'so much safer now'! Get real law officials and QUIT sending them through the revloving back unwatched door already this has become so old to just say "gotcha" like all evil is now contained!

The real issue is not "watch your kids their gonna get it"

IT'S

"Ok who's next in line at todays executions for their 3rd unhealed pedophile acts"?

This trash exists because there's nadda for deterants..just free free free to do whatever tickles your addictions..land of the free i guess.Course the kids BEING affected/infected have the real risk of being locked up in their own private little prison till the day they pass!..hail the all powerful pedo??

February 4, 2009, 1:05 am CST

Internet Predators

I know firsthand what can happen to teenagers who meet strangers from the internet. These teens think that these people are their friends, they think they know them, but they don't. These predators dupe them into feeling like they care for them, understand them, and listen to them. They earn the teens trust. I work for a teen crisis line and I've heard these stories again and and again. It rarely ends well. The teen usually winds up sexually assaulted and sometimes beaten.
I, myself, go onto a chatline that's available on most mobile phones and also on the computer. It's called AirG. I usually go to the 30+ Singles room. There are always teens hanging out there, or people pretending to be teens. It saddens me because, more often than not, it's usually a teen girl, who is looking for a "sugar daddy" or who advertises that they will send sexy pictures of themselves in return for a Boost Card (for use on a Boost Mobile Phone). I am not very well liked in this room, because I am outspoken against the pervs who take advantage of these teens and also I message the teens and warn them. I often get into the mail or comment box of these pervs who leave vulgar comments in the teens comment boxes. I feel, that because Airg doesn't police the chat rooms, that I have to do what I can. I wish more people would police the rooms like I do. I know I can't do it all, but I can't look the other way, either. I have considered writing down a list of the offenders, but most of them are in the US and I am in Canada, so I don't believe I would be taken seriously.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last