Message Boards

Topic : 02/12 Octuplets Scandal

Number of Replies: 594
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 10:37:43 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The discussion continues regarding Nadya Suleman, a single mother of six children, who recently gave birth to a set of octuplets. How will she care for 14 babies? Are the newborns at risk? Will this mother be able to provide stability, or are the 14 children destined for a life of neglect and poverty? Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 12, 2009, 6:14 am CST

Octuplets

I was so angry watching this show that I had to turn it off. I have one child which is a decision I conscioulsy made because I felt that was all we could afford. I would have loved to have more, but I felt that it would

be irresponsible of me to do so. Now after 16 years in my home we are facing foreclosure because

my husband and I have been unable to keep up with our mortgage payments.

This woman is walking around with 14 children and looking for "help". I have absolutely no sympathy

for her. Anyone who offers to send money, volunteer to babysit are nuts. She wanted all these kids,

well let her figure it out herself. I feel sorry for the children who will be the ones to suffer in the long run.

February 12, 2009, 6:23 am CST

Who cares as to how it happened ..........

........ We should be concerned with why it happened.

Here is a lady who cannot take care of what she has. By all counts a "user". Eventhough Dr. Phil was pretty kind to her on the show, he expressed the outrage of the Dr. to let it happen... Let's go farther...the woman is unstable...she is a baby factory wanting more babies. A self centered woman who does not care about anything except being fulfilled by having babies. There were headlines a long while back of a woman, who killed her babies, so she could have more...this lady fits the same profile.

Bob

February 12, 2009, 6:24 am CST

"selective reduction" = abortion

Did you notice that the "bioethicist" (in this case bioUNethicist") called them BABIES when they were still unborn?? Hmmmm.....a slip up on her part?

She said the implanting doctor should have discussed selective reduction, translation: ABORTION, if too many BABIES WERE DEVELOPING.

Thank you! Finally a liberal who ADMITS that they are indeed BABIES. If all pro abortion liberals would admit that they are in fact FOR the killing of unborn BABIES they would get more respect. Or at least they would be taken seriously.  

But can't this doctor who called them babies get kicked out of the liberal club for admitting that?? Ruh-row....

February 12, 2009, 6:24 am CST

Octomom

Let me first say I  am a single mother who is disgusted by what this woman has done, and even more disgusted with her doctor(s). I am no doctor, and can plainly see that this woman has some mental and emotional issues. She has no job, her parents have a small house, not fit for the six children she already had, they are bankrupt... and now she gets pregnant KNOWINGLY expecting at LEAST twins?

Those children should be TAKEN from her and given to loving parents who can provide for them, and are mentally sound enough to handle the kind of pressures that come with one child, much less 14. She deserves NO hand outs!!!!!!  Those children do, yes. They deserve the world and a fair shot in it.Her doctor should NEVER EVER be allowed to practice medicine again for not looking into her situation before implanting those babies.

She needs mental evaluations, and I hope social services watches her like a hawk for those poor babies, and her older childrens sakes. I dont see how society can stand by and let her keep these children that she can not take care of adequately, if we care about their health and welfare. This frustrates me to no end.. I pray DSS does something quickly and that she doesnt get a free ride, because frankly I think she's insane and has no business with any children at all.

February 12, 2009, 6:35 am CST

suleman

I think all eight babies should be put up for  adoption with suleman to have visting rights. This way these innocent children would be hopefully placed in loving environments, would be taken care of , no government assistance would be necessary except maybe for those with handicaps and eight  women would  be made happy by having a baby they probably wished for so badly. 

February 12, 2009, 6:39 am CST

Octuplets

Where did she get the money for each of these procedures? She doesn't work..that means no insurance. I watched the last half of your show yesterday.  I agree with everything you said. Children require a lot of love, discipline and consistency in their lives. Being who we are in America we will step up to the plate and take care of the children, but there is no way she can do it. I really question the ethics of the doctor.

February 12, 2009, 6:48 am CST

Option: Adoption ...give these kids a chance at a normal life without limits.

I heard a report on Headline News yesterday stating that this woman plans to go to graduate school and later get a job.  When does she think she is going to do this and more importantly HOW!?   The reality train has pulled out of the station and Octomom was obviously not on it.  Unless she believes that there will be such an outpouring of compassion and generousity that she feels she'll have all the help she'll need.  I agree that this woman has some severe issues and her actions should not be supported.  However, the kids are going  to pay a very heavy price.  I believe for thier sake and so that they may have a fighting chance (for some type of normal life), they should be put up for adoption.  According to the estimates given on the show yesterday, college is not even an option for any of them.  If given up for adoption, each child will have a chance for a brighter future with no limitations.  If she loves these children which I hope she does, she'll put their needs before hers.  She will have to anyway if she plans on raising them ALL. 

February 12, 2009, 7:07 am CST

Taxpayers Money

I watched this show and it was the first time I got the full story on this woman and the babies.  I have also never done this before but am totally feeling the need to speak my mind on this one.  I have an idea for who should foot the bills, THE FERTILITY DOCTOR!  Everyone seems to think this woman was dooped by him, so let him pay.    This woman is disturbed, you can tell it in her reasoning for wanting more children, by the way she speaks.   She won't be able to do it on her own, no matter how calm she thinks she can stay.  The living conditions shown on your show were horrible in my opinion.  I love children and I believe they should be adopted out, yes it is hard to split them up but what life will they have living in those conditions.  Open adoptions would keep the kids in contact with each other.  If we put them in foster care, we will still be paying for them and probably more so than if they live with her.   These are tough times, my family has fortunately not been hit but to put more burdon on tax payers is not right, this woman made the choice.   So let her, the doctor and her FRIEND pay the price of raising these beautiful children unless she gives them up for adoption.  She should still pay the hospital bills.  Unfortunately, financial responsibility is not the only issue --these kids will not get the love they need from her.  Her autistic child alone needs so much attention and if she is not giving it to him/her then right there it tells you she is not a good mother know matter what she says.  Kids need to be shown love everyday, how can she do this?  She has bitten off way more than she can chew and who will get spit out?  Which kids will be neglected?  You can survive without a lot of money, I went down that road years ago, but my children could never have become the young adults they are today without the love I gave them every single day.  I too was a single parent, my husband left when my daughter was 3 weeks old, she was the youngest of four. 

February 12, 2009, 7:16 am CST

Octuplet Mom Quandry

This story of the octuplet mom and her situation has me caught in a predicament.  Being the product of a large family myself (13 children in my family), I can appreciate the wonderful attributes gained growing up in that type of environment.  That's not to say that there weren't plenty of shortcomings as well.  I feel so sorry for this woman on one hand because she has no idea what life is going to be like!  Not only for her but for those kids!  It is one thing to grow up like I did where the kids' ages are like stair steps with 20 years between the oldest and the youngest.  And two parents providing the love and attention that every child needs and craves times 13.  That was hard enough for my parents.  That's not even considering the financial obligations and pressures that are inherent!   She has 14 children under the age of 8!  Although I feel for her, I am also angered by the apparent sense of entitlement.  My parents raised all of us with no help from the state or federal government.  My mother stayed home while my dad worked.  My parents both grew up in large families of 10 so having a large family was very natural to them.  It was a choice.  It was their choice and that is why my parents refused assistance whenever it was offered.  My parents sacrificed themselves so that they could provide for their children.  We all went to Catholic schools and our needs were met.  With the exception of having 12 siblings, I can honestly say that I had a normal childhood.  I believe that it truly takes special people to raise a large family like mine and like the mother of 14.  Besides the apparent difference of her being a single mom and in this situation, she is missing the most important thing that I believe made my parents so successful at the task of raising 13 children.  Selflessness.  I don't hear anything selfless from this woman and I guess that is what bothers me most.  She goes on about her needs and her wants but doesn't seem to recognize that the needs and wants of these 14 innocent little people should be more important than hers.   

By the way, in case you were wonderering, I grew up very middle class.  We were not rich by any means.  In fact, when my father died in 1993 at the age of 60, his annual salary was $40,000.  Amazing!  I am married, have 2 kids, am a stay at home mom and have not figured out how they did it. 

February 12, 2009, 7:16 am CST

money

Quote From: mamaj14

Where did she get the money for each of these procedures? She doesn't work..that means no insurance. I watched the last half of your show yesterday.  I agree with everything you said. Children require a lot of love, discipline and consistency in their lives. Being who we are in America we will step up to the plate and take care of the children, but there is no way she can do it. I really question the ethics of the doctor.

"Where did she get the money for each of these procedures? "

As far as I know, at least for the 8 she just had, she won some kind of a lawsuit for about $100,000 and used that money to get the IVF.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last