Message Boards

Topic : 02/12 Octuplets Scandal

Number of Replies: 594
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 10:37:43 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The discussion continues regarding Nadya Suleman, a single mother of six children, who recently gave birth to a set of octuplets. How will she care for 14 babies? Are the newborns at risk? Will this mother be able to provide stability, or are the 14 children destined for a life of neglect and poverty? Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 12, 2009, 7:47 am CST

02/12 Octuplets Scandal

Quote From: veralu

I believe that the in vetro (IVF) doctor should be held financially responsible for the 8 new babies until they reach age 18.

I can't imagine how he can rationalize his part in creating 8 new babies.  He is supposed to be the one that is educated and be able to discern if this procedure is/would be 'proper' under the mother's circumstances and mental capabilities.

Any IVF doctor should know his/her patient well enough to know if that mother/father can be good parents.  The IVF doctor always has the right to say no.

Yes I agree with you 100%  He needs to step up to the plate somewhere even if it be to say he was wrong for doing the inplant.

February 12, 2009, 8:03 am CST

TAXPAYERS WILL PAY

TAXPAYERS WILL PAY FOR NADIA AND HER  14 CHILDREN.
MEDICAL ETHICS NOT WORK IN THIS SITUATION.
NEW LAWS ARE NEEDED.  OTHERWISE SHE AND OTHERS WILL BANKRUPT THE SYSTEM AND LEAD
TO OVER POPULATION.

February 12, 2009, 8:10 am CST

eight babies????

About the woman who had eight babies.Ive always heard that God gives life and God takes lives.To abort or have a reduction in the children's birth,I also feel is wrong.But these children deserve better than what they are going to have.I don't know the answer to this delimia,Alot of people who donate thousands of dollars to charity could see it in thier hearts to help these kids out.Im not sympathic for her,I definently have the kids best interest at heart.And i think the guy who went along with this should be held responsible for support of them,after all he is as much to blame as her.Im not letting the dr. off the hook either, he should have never put in that many eggs.My heart goes out to the Grandparents.I can't hardley manage my two, three yr. olds at the same time.But then im not in my 30's either.

February 12, 2009, 8:10 am CST

The 8 babies

The last couple minutes of this show really upset me. He said that there are 14 children who depend on US! Well I don't want to sound like a mean and horrible person that thinks these children should suffer because they couldn't help the fact that their mom is crazy and psycho and has $0 to her name but I didn't have those kids. The reason why I don't have kids is because a. I'm too young, b. I'm not married, and c. I don't have money either, so because I use my brain and think well hmmm I can't afford them, why should I have to support kids that AREN'T MINE!!! This is a tough time for the economy as we all know, so people that do want to help can't because their budget won't allow them to do that. There is only ONE MOM that had those babies, not the 5 women, not 1,000 women, and not the whole country. It kills me to see children go to the adoption places, but maybe that's the best thing for them. The best thing for their mom is to go and check into a psychological place and into the padded room she should go. A person that says they are depressed and kids make her happy and that's the only reason she is reproducing, then something NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

February 12, 2009, 8:12 am CST

Support for 14 children

I think this woman should be given a good job and parenting classes.  She should not get a tv show and fame for this.  I raised five children with the support of a good husband and father and it was difficult at best sometimes to pay for everything our children needed or wanted.  We never lived with our parents and never took handout from anyone.  We paid our own way.  It was very difficult to live but we did and we lived good and took several vacations a year and enjoyed a life that the rest of our family members were jealous of.  We did this because we worked very hard and made every dime we earned count and used our money and time wisely.  This woman is just stupid.  I think the medical staff who preformed this procedure should be held fifty percent responsible for this.  The tax payers should not be held responsible for a doctor playing GOD.  Where did she get the money to pay for this procedure.?  Welfare?  Some one needs a good attorney to handle this matter.  I cant say she should loose her children but she need some mental help.  I cant imagine how you handle 14 children in a three bedroom home, no job, no insurance, no food, no diapers, I could go on and on about what they need.  I think that she has no right to ask for money,  she had nine months to plan on getting money to support her brood.  She has some serious problems that needs to be addressed.  The doctors who done this you should be held accountable.  This is stupid.

February 12, 2009, 8:17 am CST

Where's the $$ coming from?

Where is all her money coming from if she doesn't work?  She first could afford 6 rounds of ivf, which is very expensive.  She could afford to get collagen in her lips (and maybe a little plastic surgery??).  She also has very pretty acrylic fingernails in each of the interviews.  I have two kids and can't find the time (or money) to get my nails done...how is she managing all this? 

February 12, 2009, 8:23 am CST

14 children

How in the age of people being without jobs and Hadley able to pay bills can anyone take care of all of these children. Companies will come in and help this women out. I know it is for the children. But she will come out of this fine and have all the money she needs, because of thees companies will willing to help and the rest of the country is falling on it's face. People can not afford to pay there bills and have electric,

gas and water turned off because they can not afford it. But this wow an will live off the tax payers for the rest of her life.

She will probably get a new home for all of these children to live in, and the rest of the people don't have a roof over there heads. There are so many homeless people and the children that don't have food. Think of those children.

I feel sorry for her parents and what she has put them through. It is a shame.

We are a struggling family in NC. The land lord has threatened us because we were late with the rent.

My daughter can not find a job and I am on SS. My daughter has a daughter who is 10 yrs old and we try to do what we can to make her life normal. Try not to show that we are nervous that the electric may go out.

We have no one to turn to.

I don't think this woman should have these children, what kind of life can they have.

Thanking you for taking time to read this.

I hope i Weill hear from you pertaining to this matter.

Judy Teague.

February 12, 2009, 8:35 am CST

why should it be our job

I don't think it should alway fall on the shoulders of the responsible working forces to support this type of people. I work as a RN in a small community ER and I see Medicaid and non working people come into the ER and demand us to give them free medication due to the fact they can not pay for their child's RX. but they are very much able to pay for their cigarettes and beer. this is an on going condition in the USA today. not only in my ER. I have to pay for their medical care, and then come home to my own child and tell them they can't have that toy they wanted because I don't have the money. When is the responsibility fall back on these people. they are using children as a paycheck. and I'm done.

February 12, 2009, 8:45 am CST

02/12 Octuplets Scandal

Quote From: rlc752

I have a huge problem with this whole siuation.  Can someone PLEASE tell me how this unemployed mother of 6 had the money to pay for IVF?????  It is EXPENSIVE.  I am married and have good insurnace and own my home.  But yet I cant afford to have IVF done.  I do have 2 children already, but wanted a 3rd when my boys were school age.  Which they now are.  Where did the money come from to pay for her procedure?????????

And, on top of all that, why not just adopt?  There is a need for parents for foster kids, it isn't cheap, but it doesn't cost as much as having IVF and paying for doctor checkups and labor and delivery.  Adoption is an option we are now exploring. 

I just don't understand how a woman with no home of her own, no job, and 6 kids (now 14) has the NERVE to expect the tax payers to pay for her children, 6 and now 14, through public assistance.  Use the public assistance for childcare and get a job like the rest of us to support your own children.  Don't expect us to pay for food and shelter, and medical, and.... and.... and.... Especially now that the economy is so bad.  there are so many people who were working to take care of their children and have lost their jobs.  THOSE are the people who deserve help.  Not this woman who dares to have 14 children and expect someone else to pay for them.  She couldn't take care of the 6, she shouldn't have even had 1 more child, let alone 8.... PERIOD.... ITS WRONG!!!!!!

Agree completely.

Oh and the money for invetro, not to mention her numerous facial surgeries came from a disability settlement she got.  She was awarded $165,000, her parents didn't even know she recieved it.  Nadya spent it all on herself and never gave them a dime for food, rent or her own kids.  All while she's been living with them.   Her parents pay for everything.  I'm guessing they've just about blown through their retirement.   I don't think Nadya should recieve anything else.  The 8 kids need to be adopted out.  Also people need to keep in mind if they send Nadya *cash* she will spend it on herself, not the kids.    She's clearly obsessed with her own appearance.

February 12, 2009, 8:45 am CST

Octuplets mother

I was so angry when I first heard why this woman decided to have more than 6 children. This woman seems to only think about herself  to me that she would put her children in jeopardy. No loving mother

would take a chance to have 14 children without the support and means of taking care of them unless

she had other motives. I feel she is doing this for herself and a loving mother would put herself last

for the sake of the children. She does not love these children only herself. Kate was right, the newness

will wear off and she will be stuck taking care of the 14 children herself if CPS doesn't take first. I hate to

say it but I hope they are adopted out I can only imagine what kind of life they will have.  The Duggar family

have many children but they had them the normal way spaced apart and have taught them to be loving and caring adults and children who work together as a family. How will this woman teach her children this when she is only thinking of herself.

I want a different man every week, a plumber, carpenter, electrician but seriouly you have to face the consequences on your decisions and I feel this woman is fooling herself into believing she will have a

fairytale life with her children.

These children are not going to get the love they need from one parent no matter how many people help her. They are going to look for love in others either their siblings or the outside world and resent her for

the life they have. I also agree that the Dr. made a huge mistake in allowing her to go through this last

time with her family situation as it was. And honestly do you think she really worked double shift to save up

for this procedure? Who feed her 6 children and paid for expenses? Something doesn't seem right I think there's more to this mother.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last