Message Boards

Topic : 02/12 Octuplets Scandal

Number of Replies: 594
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 10:37:43 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The discussion continues regarding Nadya Suleman, a single mother of six children, who recently gave birth to a set of octuplets. How will she care for 14 babies? Are the newborns at risk? Will this mother be able to provide stability, or are the 14 children destined for a life of neglect and poverty? Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 12, 2009, 9:04 am CST

DOES SHE HAVE MUNCHAUSEN BY PROXY SYNDROM?

Did anybody else detect the symptoms of the syndrome Munchausen by Proxy?  She seemed almost pleased and giddy when questioned about her children with physical disabilities and the possiblity of some of her newborn babys having medical problems.  Isn't that alot like an indication of MUNCHAUSEN BY PROXY?  She knew the risks but seems proud of those medical problems.  Dr. Phil, what is your opinion. 

February 12, 2009, 9:08 am CST

Octuplets Scandal

I feel this is a very sad situation for these 14 children. This woman, in her state of mind, is not able to care for these children adaquately.  Even the most stable single woman would have a rough time. The representative kept stating this was a "Christian" woman. Well, maybe so, however she needs  counseling desperately. From my own Catholic perspective, I do not understand this, however I shall pray for  her, and her 14 innocent little children.

February 12, 2009, 9:17 am CST

Gosselin, Dugger, Pitt/Jolie, Suleman ...

... the orphanages in China and the former Soviet Union.

Is it fair or rational that I have linked these examples of situations where a few adults are responsible for a large number of babies? No, because each situation is unique. But this is where my vivid imagination and my personal experience has led me today.
My husband and I have child who has severe developmental disabilities and I choose not to have more children because I did not think I could handle it if a second child would also be as needy. My child is an adult now, and it takes a rather large support system to provide for his needs. I am burned out, but we manage.
The arrogance of a mother that would have six embryos implanted, with 6 babes at home, is unconscionable, in my opinion.
We descry the sad situation of children languishing in orphanages in economically challenged parts of the world, yet we don't make the connection with 14 children being brought into poverty in America -- intentionally! There are no extentuating circumstances that can justify that, in my opinion.

In some delusional fantasy, I guess there's the hope that a huge outpouring of support will be forthcoming, and sustained, over the next 18 years, for the babies that are normally-abled, and for the next 50-60 plus years for the children that are disabled.

It would be unconscionable for a TV network to embark upon a reality program featuring the Suleman family. There's always a bit of fascination with the super large family, even in fiction, but -- we don't need another Jon & Kate Plus 8, or 17 Children and Counting. That need is being met.

Sooner rather than later, the cameras will turn their attention to another 'newsworthy' story, and where will the Suleman children be then?

February 12, 2009, 9:18 am CST

02/12 Octuplets Scandal

I think people who are getting infertility treatments should have to go through the same kinds of things that those who adopt have to go through.  Why allow unstable people (whether financially or emotionally) to bring children into the equation. 

February 12, 2009, 9:20 am CST

Kate

Kate is not a good person to be giving advice.  She has all these sponsors to pay for her vacations and child care help.  Lets see how she would handle life with this many children if she didn't have all this money thrown her way by sponsors.  She is a poor example. 

February 12, 2009, 9:22 am CST

02/12 Octuplets Scandal

Quote From: tennesseelocal

Once these infants are able to leave the hospital, they SHOULD be put up for adoption. It is SELFISH on the mothers part to think she can care for all these children. It's obvious she is neglecting the other six since the grandparents are taking care of them. This mother has no business with any kids at all. She is selfish and irresponsible and is taking advantage of the system. It would be in the best interest of the children to be in stable and loving homes that they can get the appropiate care from families that can't have children. The doctors SHOULD lose there license and NEVER be able to practice in any state ever again. This is unprofessional !!!!! 

Who are you?? How dare you state that these children be ripped apart from each other? This is so heartbreaking! When did you become the expert of this woman's state of mind and well being? NO child should be seperated from his/her family because the PUBLIC doesn't not agree with decisions a mother AND a team of medical staff made. No doubt this will be an overwhelming situation. She could be provided assistance with educational materials for the kids. Maybe she can find a way to work from home. Who knows what ways she can be able to provide a healthy living for her family. This needs to stop being labeled as a "scandal".

February 12, 2009, 9:22 am CST

disabilities

Three of Nadya's six children have disabilities. One has autism - I don't know the diagnosis of the other two. My question is this - how are their medical conditions paid for? Is it our tax dollars?

I have a granddaughter with autism and she needs medical care to help control her symptoms. Her father is a teacher and works full time but  his medical insurance won't cover her as they consider autism a mental illness and it is not covered under the plan. The family is "stuck" with this plan as it is negotiated by and provided by the father's school district. My granddaughter is eligible for state medical aid but the medical institute that she needs to go to won't accept it.

Has anyone out there run into trouble with autism and insurance denial?

It is so unfair that Nadya and her large family will most likely end up being supported by state but my granddaughter cannot get the care she needs even though her father works hard to support his family.

Need your advice please.

February 12, 2009, 9:23 am CST

Octo Mom

Dr. Phil,
Can you find out who paid for the procedures if she has no Money. Also, she leaves like a slob but has sculptured nails. How selfish can one person be.
Thanks,
John Davis

February 12, 2009, 9:24 am CST

octuplets

It is sad to see the children in such a state.  I also feel sorry for Nadya parent's who have the burden to raise her family.  I am outraged at Nadya.  She says she is not worried about paying for her kids, well it is because she gets "assistance" for all of them.  Then to sell her story to tv/news shows and to put a person website to ask for money.  I believe she had every intention of having multiplies.  I think she did it to get the attention as well as free stuff.  She probably figured that people would give her stuff, free diapers, food, a car, a house, whatever.  I think to use your children like that is a disgrace.  I think the children should be removed from her and place in a family envirnoment were they can recieve real care.

February 12, 2009, 9:26 am CST

02/12 Octuplets Scandal

I think her Doctor should have to support her children!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last