Message Boards

Topic : 04/10 Growing Up Too Fast?

Number of Replies: 293
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 12, 2009, 03:17:29 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/16/09) If you are a parent of a little girl, “tween,” or teenager, you’re going to relate to this show! Dr. Phil talks with parents who say raising a teen daughter is difficult in an oversexed, celebrity-obsessed, cosmetic surgery-seeking society. Char and Robb are concerned about their 14-year-old daughter, Demi, because they say she dresses too sexy for her age. She likes to wear thong underwear, tight jeans and high heels. They admit they’ve even used the word slut to describe how she looks. Demi says she doesn’t care what names people call her –- she’s “Demi-licious!” Are Char and Robb truly putting their foot down? Dr. Phil has some hard questions for these parents. And, what does Demi’s little sister have to do with the role Demi has chosen? Plus, meet the author of The Lolita Effect: The Media Sexualization of Young Girls and What We Can Do About It. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2009, 12:47 pm CST

Like mother, like daughter

I am the mother of 3 sons. If any of my sons came home with such a shallow girl (though it would never happen), I'd have to say something to my son!

By the way, did you notice mom and Demi are dressing very similarly? Both wear high boots, short skirts...
Seems like the message in this family is that there is some value to being provocative.

February 16, 2009, 12:48 pm CST

02/16 Growing Up Too Fast?

I do not have girls, so I am not an expert, however, if I did have girls and had this problem and was on national TV I would not dress in a stiletto boots and a short skirt that rides up when sitting. Demi is dressing like her mom! Char's dress is inappropriate for this topic and her body and age.

February 16, 2009, 12:49 pm CST

Is attention what she wants???? well Dr.Phil you gave it to her

I have no sympathy for these parents what so ever, If they want to complain about their children and how they dress, the only person they can blame is themselves. Example..... look at how the mother was dressed!!! like mother like daughter. This girl is in for a very rude awakening when she actually grows up!

SHES FOURTEEN!!! not only does she need an attitude adjustment... she needs a good reality check, if attention is what she wants then Dr.Phil you gave it to her.

February 16, 2009, 12:50 pm CST

I need help with my children

How do I show the children that they are individuals. Yet they are all loved and treated the same. My son feels that he is not part of our family. He has low self esteem and I would like to know ways to help him feel more includeded to also help with increasing his self esteem.

February 16, 2009, 12:51 pm CST

Where is the Spiritual Side?

Dr. Phil....these parents need to get a grip!  I now have 2 grown children in their 30's and

raised them on my own.  Parents need to be consistent on their beliefs and discipline!

It is very very hard...especially if your child reacts by saying to you "I hate you' ....there is no

mention if these two young girls get any spiritual guidance.  I am not a 'holy roller' but it

saved my son and daughter from disaster.   Just my opinion...and mom...quit being so

wishy washy...yes tough love is tough but it will be a HUGE payoff down the road.

God bless and good luck to the family!

February 16, 2009, 12:52 pm CST

Wake up Mom!!!

When asked how this child is "special" mom's answer was "I tell her, you're special, you're the only girl with blonde hair."  She was cut off by the daughter, but that was a great statement that should have been addressed!  If you DON'T WANT your daughter to be focused on make-up, hair, looks, outfits, etc., then you need to STOP emphasizing physical attributes as the first main characteristic that comes to mind when she asks "how am I special?"  This mom seems to "want" her daughter to be beautiful and liked, but doesn't realize it's at the expense of her self-esteem, self-image, self-concept, etc.  If that daughter gets in a car accident and loses her "looks" due to the accident, how will she recognize that her beauty and her gift to the world comes from within?  As she ages, how will she not measure her self-worth by her aesthetics?  Thongs...should not be for any child under the age of 18.

February 16, 2009, 12:52 pm CST

02/16 Growing Up Too Fast?

All this girl wants is acceptance  from her parents. They want her to be like her sister, not happening mom and dad. They are concerned about the way she d resses, have they seen her mother. They practicallu looked like twins (exception mom in red, daughter in blue) both had on short skirts, boots and you could see up moms skirt. Mom should not buy her theh clothes if she does not approve. Mom has nobody to blame but  herself about way daughter dresses.

February 16, 2009, 12:53 pm CST

Who is in Charge?

This is what happens when parents are trying too hard to be their child's friend rather than teaching and guiding them to be a better person.

February 16, 2009, 12:55 pm CST

What is Char thinking?

What in the world is that mom thinking?    I was getting so frustrated watching this show.   I feel for the dad and for the daughters.   Stop buying her those clothes......Stop it.   Once a child's innocence is gone....it's gone forever and she is probably within 6 months of complete innocence lost.   She's not the boss.   Her parents don't only have to worry about the boys in her school....they have to worry about the men in their city.   The internet has brought these issues to light.   Pregnancy..disease...abuse...drugs....and worst of all Demi feeling like she's already lost herself.    My heart bleeds for this girl.   The dad needs to shut the mom off of spending too if she can't be a responsible adult and guide her girls in the right direction.   CAN ONE OF THE ADULTS PLEASE TAKE CHARGE?   Dad it has to be you because mom is obviously acting like a 14yr old herself.   It's not funny...It's not cute....I'm sad for her.

February 16, 2009, 12:59 pm CST

Mom is clueless

Wake up parents :

1. Take her TV out of her room, this way you can watch what she is seeing.

2. Put her computer in a common area, and moniter what she is doing on it.

3. Stop buying magazines that key in on girls dressing too old for their age.

4. Stop buying her slutty clothes, remove any slutty clothes already there.

5. Stop saying "I never have this problem with her sister."

6. Make her volunteer for a charity.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last