Message Boards

Topic : 02/19 Behind the Headlines: Octuplets Saga Continues

Number of Replies: 379
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, February 16, 2009, 04:10:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Single mother of six, Nadya Suleman, shocked the country by giving birth to the second-only set of octuplets recorded in the U.S. Speculation and wonderment turned to outrage and even death threats as the unemployed mom’s story developed. Now, the discussion continues, with shocking new accusations in the octuplets controversy. A former patient of Nadya’s fertility doctor speaks out! Did he ignore symptoms that could have killed her? And, should he still be practicing? Plus, exclusive video of the octuplets mom from her childhood friend. What does she have to say about the Nadya she knew in high school? And, the octo-mom’s spokesperson reveals the real reason why she had to quit! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 19, 2009, 12:13 pm CST

The Doctor Should Be Held Responsible

I think that the doctor that implanted the embryos should be held accountable for these babies just as a father should be held accountable. Why should the state of California and it's residents as well as the residents of the United States be held accountable for the financial responsibility of these children? I think the doctor should have to pay child support for the babies just as any father should have to pay. If he were made to do this he would think twice about ever doing something so irresponsible again.

February 19, 2009, 12:16 pm CST

The Octuplets

Why isn't the doctor that decided this was a good decision required to support these 8 children.

I'm sure doctors would be more careful if they would be held financially liable for situations like these.

February 19, 2009, 12:31 pm CST

Octuplets

My first thought of this woman having all the babies is shocked, why. and how can anyone afford those kids. Now I think it's time for the State to step in and take these babies away and adopt the poor babies to loving, stable  homes!!! This woman is out of her mind and I do not agree with having the public pay for her births of these kids. The doctor who did this procedure is worked out!!! He seriously needs his license pulled he is a freakin nut case, where is his morals and protecting his patients???? He has none, and for the so called mother where is her responsibility????? I don't see any, does she not realize how the births of the children affect her body, her physical well being, her emotions? And how is she gonna provide for these 14 kids, she can't she has no job, gets welfare which she denied(of course), and now the home she is living in is facing foreclosure if this happens where will they all live? I say remove these kids from her care and place them with families that can provide and love them!!!!!

February 19, 2009, 12:37 pm CST

02/19 Behind the Headlines: Octuplets Saga Continues

i think that maybe there should be guidelines when it comes to someone wanting to be artifically inseminated whether it's their first time or third time.i think that you should be able to stability as in having a stable job(not welfare),you rent or own your home.when you go to adopt a child your  whole life is disected so there should be some kind of background check in this case.too many people now a days see children as a way to get money and that is soo wrong.welfare is there to help you get through the rough times not a way of life.

i just hope that with all thats going on with this situation that maybe something changes with how things are done when it comes to artifical insecimation.

February 19, 2009, 12:37 pm CST

Dr. Phil,

I think that is the point... people are so angry with the mom because we know that there are kids involved.  How in the world is a single mother with no job going to care for 14 children. She isn't!  The kids will never have the attention nor their basic needs met without the assistance of a lot of people and money.  The kids will suffer and the tax payer will have to pick up the expenses.  At this economic times people are struggling with their own livelihood and caring for their own children that i think it makes people angry for someone to be so selfish.    Those poor kids!

February 19, 2009, 12:43 pm CST

I am so ANGRY

I am sick of this story!  Not only what this woman has done a very irrisponsible descioin on her part and her doctor but what angers me the most is WHY is it the communities duty to help out these kids.  I am very aware that these children did not ask to come into this world but,  (just a thought)  how about she gets a job and actually do something to raise her own kids!!  When does she become responsible for her decisions.  Even her mom has some fault in that she has helped Nadia out up to this point with the six childeren that already existed.  Thank goodness her mom has steped up and spoke out!!!    I am a mother of 2 girls and am expecting a third.  I will be honest we can not afford our third daughter on the way, and guess what we have decided to tie my tubes and cut some extra costs to afford this third blessing.  I have yet to ask ANYONE including my parents, inlaws, or friends to help me out.  My husband and I weren't careful and we are getting prepared to face OUR responsibility!  I am a great fan of Jon and Kate plus eight, the reason for me mentioning them is that they have had so much help and have been very lucky with the success of thier show which I'm sure they have made a lot of money but at no time did they ASK OR POST A DONATE BUTTON on their website!  WHAT IS THAT!  People will donate (sincerley) and from their hearts because they want to help not because some lady wants more kids and then EXPECTES THE PUBLIC TO HELP HER!  How about she helps us taxpayers by NOT HAVING ANYMORE CHILDREN!  Where the SIX YOU HAVE NOW NOT GOOD ENOUGH!  Or is it that the paycheck from the government was not big enough!  Nadia  I HOPE THAT GOD HAS MERCY ON YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANTS THEM SOME MIRACLE TO BE WITH A MOTHER WHO CARES ABOUT THEM!

February 19, 2009, 12:49 pm CST

Why?

I am scared for this mother and her children, why are people threatening her, the children are here... People need to get over themselves... There are a lot of people on social assistance, not just single mothers... Okay she has 14 children.... but there is a show on TV of a couple that has 14 or more children... I don't hear people complaining about them..... The only reason why people are getting upset, is because she is a single mother receiving social assistance... I think....As long as mom is using the money to provide for the children, there is nothing wrong.... The most important thing is that this family receive on going support...

I think, in the future when these children become teenagers or adults they will learn about what is being said about their mother..... All I know is that I would be upset about people threatening my mom.....

The media should leave this family alone. So the children can be safe. 

What about the children that attend school, people have to think about their well-being too.  

February 19, 2009, 12:50 pm CST

What about the other irresponsible mothers?

I am extremely frustrated that the coverage of this mother continues.  I totally agree that she was selfish and unrealistic; however, she is no different than any other mother who has multiple children while collecting welfare and food stamps.  What about these mothers?   Some mothers have children without even knowing the fathers.  Some mothers allow their children to be molested.  Some mothers know the system so well that they know when to get pregnant again in order to commence benefits.  "The system" has given women the mentality that they will be supported regardless of their repeated poor choices.  This is why our country is in the mess that it is:  learned helpless.  People need to take responsibility for themselves!

As a high school teacher and mother of in vitro twins, I am appalled at parents who do not provide both financially and emotionally for their children and expect grandparents, school, and "the system" to provide.  We need to look at the choices we are making, and think about the consequences these choices are having on our children, our next generation of leaders.

February 19, 2009, 12:54 pm CST

Quote From: tmurphy

I hope this story ends with a good ending; at least for the sake of the children involved.  Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes.  The important thing to remember is to learn from it and move on.  We can't fix or change want has happened but you can plan for the future.  I wish her the best of luck!

Thank you for saying something positive and uplifting!!!

February 19, 2009, 12:57 pm CST

Crazy mother of 14

I do not believe that the doctor, who implanted the eggs into this irresponsible woman, should lose his medical license, I think he should have to provide for those children.  He was just as irresponsible as that woman.  Who in their right mind would perform such a procedure for a woman with no JOB?  The last thing this world needs is another person taking from a government agency.  This world is in a crisis and she decides to have 14 children, no job and a cracker jack box for a home.  Has she heard of children services and has she thought they may take her children because she can't provide for them.  To those out there that say..."well she was only supposed to have a possibility of 2 babies," need to wake up.  Who doesn't realize when they have IV what the consequences are?  Maybe some of these docs need to stop playing God and things will stop going wrong.  If you are meant to have children then God will bless you with children and to those who can't, maybe there is a reason.  My heart goes out to all women that can't have children but these docs are not always doing what is best for you, sometimes they are just trying to make medical history so they can be remembered in some medical book as a great physician and to heck with your health.  I do not think she should get a reality TV show, I think she should get a reality CHECK!!!  Dr. Phil sometimes I think you are just a filabuster to some of your audience...you can talk an issue to death but these people are not listening.  I think you give great advice but too many people are just not listening.  Those 14 children are going to suffer for her selfish act because they will never have all that they need unless someone does step up to the plate and give her assistance on many different levels.  I really think this world is losing a grip with some of the choices they make.  Being an actor or actress used to take hard work and acting classes and struggling to get noticed. Now you just have to be willing to act like a complete idiot and you will find someone with a camera to put you on TV.  Maybe you should start preaching to them about going to church and believing and trusting in God and then maybe they will start to feel guilty about there actions.  We have military personnel risking their lives everyday, witnessing scenarios that no one would want to see and instead of this country being grateful for what our military personnel are doing, these people are running amuck acting like they have no sense.  We have so many military personnel that would love to be back over here in there own country to enjoy their freedom, and the Americans that are fortunate enough to do so, are either complaining about the president or the financial trouble we are in.  Just enjoy your freedom, stop complaining, stop acting like you have no sense and enjoy each day as it comes because tomorrow might not be here.  That is what we all should do and Dr. Phil I wish you the best of luck with your audience. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last