Message Boards

Topic : 08/10 Teen Love Trauma

Number of Replies: 51
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 19, 2009, 03:58:07 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 02/23/09) What happens when a volatile teen relationship threatens to tear a daughter away from her parents? Giesel and Steve say their 18-year-old daughter, Devynn, has an unhealthy relationship with her boyfriend, and the tumultuous union has caused a rift in their family. They say Devynn’s beau calls her names, makes her disobey them and is destroying their daughter’s once promising future. The teen admits that she and her boyfriend argue a lot, but she recently revealed that she is pregnant and plans to have the baby. Find out the devastating news that Devynn learned just days before appearing on the show. What does the future hold for this teen if she follows through with her desire to marry the man of her dreams against her folks' wishes? Can Giesel and Steve broker a peace with their child, or will this family drama continue to spiral out of control? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 7, 2009, 10:41 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Love Phil/Robin Teen Trauma. That is for sure. But not with me. See you on August Monday 10th,---

2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 9, 2009, 8:35 pm CDT

great story

Great story this one i really enjoyed it

August 10, 2009, 2:07 pm CDT

08/10 Teen Love Trauma

Just thought I would share a little.  My daughter starting dating someone her senior year. She allowed this person to turn her world up side down.  Long story short, she ended up having a nervious breakdown and needed to be hospilized.  Even after that, she wouldn't leave him.  At 18 you are concidered to be an adult and as parents we got little to no information about her condition.  Once released from the hospital we were cut completely out of the loop.  She even saw a "so called theripist" who let her abuser in on her therapy sesions.  This allowed him total control! My husband came up with the idea to call a hot line for abused women.  We started leaving paperwork around the house, then eventually calling with her by our side (she wouldn't talk at first), eventually we got her to talk to them.  They were extremely helpful.  Maybe this would help this family too.  She finally left this jerk, but her road has been long and the scars are unbelieveable.  She continues to make poor decision regarding men today.  I really feel for these parents.

August 10, 2009, 2:13 pm CDT

Insensitive.

It is very insensitive for Dr. Phil to say that there aren't a lot of 'up' sides to having a child at a young age.  Here's a major 'up' side:  a HUMAN LIFE.  Children often give young mothers and fathers wings.  As he stated in the show, there is noone who will defend, protect, and stand up for a child more than their own parent.  I believe this is innate, not something that comes with age.  Although I am a fan of Dr. Phil, I am sometimes disappointed with what he has to say.

August 10, 2009, 2:54 pm CDT

I understand

I was this girl when I was 18.  I too dated a guy that my parents did not approve of.  He talked me out of going to college so I could spend more time with him and I, stupidly, agreed.  A controller wants to bring you down to their level.  I also got pregnant, because he wanted me to, and I stupidly agreed.  He was so excited when I got pregnant, but three months later he completely changed and wanted me to get an abortion.  18 WAS THE DUMBEST YEAR OF MY LIFE AS I THOUGHT I WAS AN ADULT, BUT STILL HAD AN IMMATURE MIND.  I know you don't think so now, but down the road you will see how much better it is when you are older and set to have a child.  I had my second child at 31 and it is sooooo much better. 

Needless to say, I ended up raising the child without his help and she has issues with her biological father not being involved in her life. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE- I know it is hard to understand now, but your parents are only looking out for you.  You don't want to be with a guy that can't even be around your parents.  It is not fun.

Just because your boyfriend was treating you good when you were pregnant doesn't mean it would continue.  I know it is hard to wait for everything you want, but it is well worth it in the end.

August 10, 2009, 3:09 pm CDT

08/10 Teen Love Trauma

I have just watched the show on the Teen Love Trauma. My only comment is to Dr.Phil. I thought is was very imappropriate, and even cruel, for Dr. Phil to devulge what Devynn's boyfriend was supposedly saying to his staff backstage -  that he was through with Devynn and ready to move on. You just can't spring that on this young girl while she is sitting on stage, obviously vulnerable and in great emotional pain! Despite all the other good advice, that was very unprofessional.

August 10, 2009, 3:11 pm CDT

Thank you for your comments.

Quote From: countrygirl215

I'm sorry, but this girl needs to open up her eyes.  Pretty much this same situation happened to me, except I never got pregnant.  My parents hated my now ex boyfriend more than anything.  He treated me like crap and I would always try to make up excuses for him.  Now that I look back at it, jeopardizing my relationship with my mom was NOT worth it.  Throughtout the show this girl is trying to make up excuses for her boyfriend and make it seem like he is going somewhere in his life. From what i've seen, he is going no where, hes a dead beat.  This girl has a promising future and great family, she needs to just move on now, before it is too late.

Your entry was just what I needed to see.  Our daughter had a terrific future and everything going for her and now has turned her back on all that and us.  Can you give me some ideas, as a young lady, of what we could do to get her attention without scaring her away?  We would really appreciate your help.  You seem to have learned much in this situation and I am totally exhausted from trying to do the right thing.  Thanks,

kteacher2155

August 10, 2009, 3:22 pm CDT

I understand completely.

Quote From: suzie2968

Frustrated

if anyone knows and understands what you are goin through and feeling it is me, i am in completely the same situation with my daughter and the boy she is dating, i call him a boy becasue a real man would not treat her the way he does, it really started back in august of 2008 when i got a call at work that she had an accident and busted several of her teeth, i flew from my job to where she was in 7 minutes flat, its amazing how speeding helps when you need to get somewhere and i took her to the hospital becasue the result of "her accident" was 5 busted teeth a fat lip and busted braces on hr teeth. to this day my heart tells me he did it to her and i would neva ever change the htred i feel for himhe also has her in a twisted frame of mind that if she gets along with her parents than they cant be together he barely graduated from high school calls her names n a frequenmt basis, threatens her when they fight and says the most horrible nasty things to her and really has her convinved that she isnt good enough for anyone but him which in my book is a huge mistake. he has zero respect for himself, has been through 4 jobs since june of last year, thinks that when my daughter gets paid on fridays that becomes his payday and the list jsut goes on an on. if you want to further communicate i would really love to chat with someonone who knows and understands "OUR" pain. feel free to contact me

Your message caught my attention because you seem so caring and yet you can not do anything to help the situation.  This is exactly how my husband and I feel.  Our daughter has not be exposed to abuse yet, at least we don't think so, but her boyfriend has no real plans and talks down to her in a very demeaning tone.  And sometimes he does it right in front of us.  He doesn't seem to care what we think.  He has lied to us on many occasions and talked her into moving across the country with him.  I wish I could help us both but I am TOTALLY at a loss.  We have tried to be considerate while standing our ground on what is right but it doesn't seem to matter to her.  She acts like nothing is different or wrong with all this.  I wish somebody could save us from this drowning sink hole we are feeling in our heart.

kteacher2155

August 10, 2009, 4:49 pm CDT

teen pregnancy

Hello. I do have an 18 year old daughter who got pregnant when she was 16 and she kept her baby too. She lives at home with us. I have an georgous 2 year old grandson too. I am in Florida. What the parents are saying I can't believe them. When my daughter was pregnant at the age 16 that is her baby and that is her body too. Yes she did not finish school, but to this day she is taking care of her son and going for her GED too. It is better then nothing. Her ex is not in he life at all and not in my grandson's life either. I just think with the girl on tv she is 18 years old just like my daughter now and she is an adult by law. Not legal till she is 21 too. Yes it is hard to be a youn single mommy but she is doing a great job. I am proud of her.  am there for her not against her. But if she was with a bad boy then Yes I will tell her to drop that relationship. I would not let anything get in betwen my relationship with my daughter. They need to give her a chance to live her life she is 18 .... Yes you can be there for her but you can't live her life for her she has to do that on her own. Thatis my thoughts...

August 10, 2009, 5:57 pm CDT

08/10 Teen Love Trauma

This is a great issue to look at on your show. I will be watching thats for sure.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last