Message Boards

Topic : 02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Number of Replies: 42
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 20, 2009, 05:23:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
With the country facing economic woes, many Americans are on the lookout for ways to generate extra cash. But are those lucrative offers to work from home and get-rich-quick ads legitimate, or scams designed to swindle consumers? Corbie found out the hard way when she says she registered online to become a mystery shopper. The job came with a check for $4,000, so how did she lose $5,000? Next, Blair says she surfed the Net for a part-time job she could do from home. She was hired for a data entry position paying $35 an hour, so how did this one-time high school valedictorian end up losing thousands? Then, Richard and Cynthia say they were about to retire at 59, but were devastated to learn that they lost everything in an alleged Ponzi scheme. Now Richard fears he and his wife will have to pinch pennies in their golden years. Can the couple get over the guilt of losing their investments and move on? Plus, attorney Steven J. Weisman gives you the tools to protect yourself from con artists, and don’t miss the top 10 most popular scams! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 24, 2009, 1:44 pm CST

It almost happened to me

Hey, On the show today Dr. Phil said to call the bank and ask if there was money for the check.  I received a check like the lady on the show.  I thought it was too good to be true.  I called the number on the check and they said in fact that there was money to cover the check.  I did not cash the check, I shredded it and really didn't think about it until today when I saw it on the show.  I think that if something seems to good to be true it probably is!

February 24, 2009, 1:45 pm CST

Scammed

I am extremely sorry those people got scammed and lost their money - I've been there/done that.  You can recover and the couple HAS to stop letting Madoff dominate their lives.  However - I have to say to them - welcome to the real world.  You are now having to do what the rest of us have done for years.  Coupons, no movies, no eating out, etc.  While I really am sorry for their misfortune, seriously Dr. Phil, how do you think the rest of us feel??  I worked hard for over 30 years only to see it all taken away due to a bad marriage choice.  I had to pick myself up and start over with nothing.  So, these people are not alone, they will never get the justice they deserve, but they can recover.  Best of luck to them and everyone else in this situation.

February 24, 2009, 2:16 pm CST

Scams

The show was very informative, my son also got a check from someone wanting to buy his truck on Craigs list, he was sent a check for more then the amount and the buyer wanted him to send the difference back . The man was going to make arrangements to pick up the truck within a few days?  My son told me about this so I warned him and he brought the check to the bank, and told them what was going on.  The check of course was no good, he never heard back from the buyer. 

I was also scammed on a work at home job, shorly after my husband died in a car accident, I was injured in the accident and was looking for some kind of job, and I applied for this job, and they were to provide me with a lap top, this was almost four years ago, I never made a cent on the job, and they are still charging me 125. a month for the laptop??  I changed my checking account, and now they are calling me, saying I owe them over 9,000.00 and they are going to take me to court if I don't pay it.. 

February 24, 2009, 2:21 pm CST

How DARE YOU!!!

Quote From: namiskulin

Those who scam and "get scammed" are people who are either:  1) downright ignorant/stupid, 2) corrupt themselves ("If it's too good to be true it isn't"--remember that one?) and last but not least, 3) GREEDY.  The number one reason scams are successful for BOTH the scmammer and the scammed is that both parties are thinking in terms of "instant wealth" (money, money and more money!) without working hard to attain it. (EASY money!) Greed comes in all genders, races, ages, ethnic, employment and educational backgrounds.  I do not feel any sympathy (especially for those who are educated and wealthy to begin with) for their monetary loss.  Common sense flew out the window and greed came through the front door.  Simple.  No one is to blame but themselves.  Dr. Phil, to tell the "victims" of these scams not to blame themselves for any of their plight is downright ludicrous.  Your guests are much smarter than you're giving them credit for.  Scams have been around since the beginning of time.  History keeps repeating itself.  Many people will never learn the lesson.

namiskulin-

How dare you say those things about the victims that were on the show!!  I was one of the victims on the show!  I am none of those things you said!  I have a BS in accounting, have a full time job and make $40K a year and just received a raise and am a good person.  I was looking for a part time job to help pay my medical bills because of some medical issues I have.  I was not being greedy and was not trying to find a job just for the money.  I was looking for a job to make it by in this awful economy.  Yes, from the outside it looks completely obvious that I shouldn't have fallen for the scam but until you're in that situation and are wanting and need the extra income to survive so bad you have no right to judge!  When you want something so badly you become blind to all the obvious signs.  So how dare you say those things about me and the many others who have been victimized!  Until you've been in our shoes, you have NO PLACE to say the things you have!!  I always told myself I would never fall for one of these scams because I knew what to look for since I worked in a Credit Union.  But NEVER say never!!

Since this has happened, I have recognized other scams and have notified people to prevent anyone from becoming a victim.  So instead of judging, perhaps you should help to prevent this from happening.

February 24, 2009, 2:25 pm CST

02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Quote From: tippie8

I am extremely sorry those people got scammed and lost their money - I've been there/done that.  You can recover and the couple HAS to stop letting Madoff dominate their lives.  However - I have to say to them - welcome to the real world.  You are now having to do what the rest of us have done for years.  Coupons, no movies, no eating out, etc.  While I really am sorry for their misfortune, seriously Dr. Phil, how do you think the rest of us feel??  I worked hard for over 30 years only to see it all taken away due to a bad marriage choice.  I had to pick myself up and start over with nothing.  So, these people are not alone, they will never get the justice they deserve, but they can recover.  Best of luck to them and everyone else in this situation.

Tippie8,

Thank you for the kind words and support.  I was on this show.  The scams and fraud is getting so out of control it's sickening.  That's the reason I did the show.  I didn't have a big part but I hope that by hearing my story, someone will remember the signs to watch for and won't become a victim themselves.  I'm sorry that you were also victimized!  It is very difficult to face the fact that we won't receive justice because the FBI is so overwhelmed with cases and etc.  So thank you again.  =)

Best Wishes,

Blair

February 24, 2009, 2:29 pm CST

Do some research

I felt sorry for the one's who were scammed but the accountant should have known better.  He should've done some research on Madoff.  Nobody get's that kind of return on their money.  It's too bad they can't sue the SEC for helping Madoff rip all of these people off by not doing anything especially if they were warned about him.  They should be punished also.

February 24, 2009, 2:36 pm CST

Help Beny, who Tried To help his friend

I hope that Beny could get a matching-support based donation from viewers who might donate just maybe $1.00 funding to go to him (plus any taxation offset) to recompense him for the crime against him - which was no fault of his own, except for maybe he should've contacted his friend via cell phone before he actually sent any money. That might take up-to, say 500 to 600 viewers if we were to donate just a $1 a-piece with matching funds from, a yet to be named contributer(s), to get him recompensed with enough to cover taxes for the charitable donations to compensate Beny for his good Samaritan deed of kindness.

I'm sure that his friend would've paid Beny back if it had indeed been him in the predicament.

February 24, 2009, 3:14 pm CST

Don't feel sorry for the rich who get scammed

Today, your show on the rich getting scammed by Madoff!  I'm playing the world's smallest violin, the song - "My Heart Bleeds for You"!  You know what their problem is?  They were GREEDY, GREDY, GREEDY!  It is so sad that we now live in a world of liers, cheats, & theives!  It has become normal to cheat!  Isn't that the name of the game?  I have never in my life been a cheater.  My face naturally shows when I lie, cheat or steal.  It's called Karma!  What goes around, comes around.  What is with this generation of people who thinks nothing of cheating and being greedy, and intant gratification?  Of course I had great parent's who taught me well!  I have been living paycheck to paycheck for the last 8 years due to the de-regulation of the banks and credit card companies.  They can charge you a high interest rate and if you are late paying by even 1 minute you get a $35 charge added as a late fee charge.  I've been screaming about this for a long time.  It's wrong, wrong, wrong!  That's why I don't have credit cards anymore!!!!  I've made double payments on all my past cards and refuse to buy something I can't pay cash for!  Everyone should do the same.  We could all protest these credit card companies by not succumbing to their will.  And, who was the idiot who thought of the sub-prime adjustable rates for mortgages.  What makes these people think that someone can make a regular payment and then double that payment so they will lose their home?  Idiot's...I say let them sink into their own GREEDY HOLE!  We shouldn't use our taxpayer money to help these greedy SOB's.  Let them fall flat on their face!!!!

Sincerely,

Juliet Castille

February 24, 2009, 3:25 pm CST

Avoid Scams

I used to think that an on-line business and working from home would be a great idea. 

Over a year ago, I did some research and was contacted by phone from a couple claiming that they were making a lot of money in an on-line work from home business.  So much so, that they quit their jobs and were both doing it full time and supporting their family on it.   When I started asking too many questions, and wouldn't jump right in, they finally gave up on me.  That was my red flag and I now believe that there is NO SUCH THING as a legitimate "on-line, work from home" business.

To this day, I still receive phone calls from people asking me if I'm still interested in starting an on-line or a work from home business.  I also get e-mails from strangers claiming there are millions of dollars just waiting for me to claim it.

Needless to say, my DELETE button is getting a LOT OF ACTION these days.  I learned a very long time ago that "IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT DEFINATELY IS" 

I am still hoping that PCH (Publishers Clearing House) is legitimate and will deliver my millions someday!

Maybe I'm just an optimist.  LOL

With all of the ways to trace and track peoples' every move today, I find it hard to believe that these scammers get away with so much and never get caught and can't be found.  Sounds very fishy to me! 

February 24, 2009, 3:33 pm CST

I was scammed too

I was told for only $1.00 I would get a cd from govtfundedgrants.  I was charged the $1.001/20/09, but then on 1/27/09 I was charged $29.95 and on 2/10 I was charged $4.95 and on 2/13/09 I was charged $9.95.  There are two phone numbers given on these charges----800-712-7222 (which is a run-around number) and 866-336-9634 )which is a good number which a person gives you two other phone numbers( 866-387-2521 and 866-351-8557) to stop the future charges.  They told me I was supposed to cancel within three days to not receive those charges and that they would not refund my money.  I had to cancel my debit card and order another one. My bank did return the charges and credit me back and they also refunded $60.00 in nsf charges.  I thought this govtfundedgrants was Goverment Funded Grants but was NOT!!  Hope this info helps someone else!   I still have not received the cd!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last