Message Boards

Topic : 02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Number of Replies: 42
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 20, 2009, 05:23:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
With the country facing economic woes, many Americans are on the lookout for ways to generate extra cash. But are those lucrative offers to work from home and get-rich-quick ads legitimate, or scams designed to swindle consumers? Corbie found out the hard way when she says she registered online to become a mystery shopper. The job came with a check for $4,000, so how did she lose $5,000? Next, Blair says she surfed the Net for a part-time job she could do from home. She was hired for a data entry position paying $35 an hour, so how did this one-time high school valedictorian end up losing thousands? Then, Richard and Cynthia say they were about to retire at 59, but were devastated to learn that they lost everything in an alleged Ponzi scheme. Now Richard fears he and his wife will have to pinch pennies in their golden years. Can the couple get over the guilt of losing their investments and move on? Plus, attorney Steven J. Weisman gives you the tools to protect yourself from con artists, and don’t miss the top 10 most popular scams! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 24, 2009, 4:10 pm CST

Dont be greedy

Alot of these scams can be easily avoided if you have common sense their is no such thing as free or easy money. Most of those who fall for scams claim they didn't understand but what they really did was turn off their common sense and put greed first. This statement is true for most of the Madoff investors if you talk to any "real" investor their is always a risk and the return these people return were always off the charts, but nobody wanted him investigated when they where making money.

February 24, 2009, 5:58 pm CST

02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

This is STUPID. Theres people out there who believe some of these scams that are on the internet. I bet if I started a phone Number and told people. If you call this number youll get a check for 5,000 dollars. My phone would ring off the hook

February 24, 2009, 6:28 pm CST

Mystery Shopper

I was surprised about the letter from the Secret Shopper as well. I am a Secret Shopper and have been for years. It is a fantastic job and I make good money doing it. I knew that the companies do not send a check that way. Only a paycheck after you have completed a shop. I took my "fake" check to my bank and they immediately called the number on the letter. The person would not answer any questions until my bank president told them who she was. The person on the other end immediately referred her to another phone number. She called and it was a number that you had to pay so much per minute. We knew immediately that it was a scam. She told me to take the letter to the post office as it was against the law to send such letters through the mail. I recently received a letter from the P.O. and they were investigating the letter and situation. DO NOT EVER SEND ANY MONEY TO ANYONE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THEM. Secret Shopper only send e-mails to the people who have signed up with their company, and they know your name and ID.

February 24, 2009, 9:39 pm CST

Seniors Are Particular Target

Great show. Seniors are especially vulnerable to scams. I visited a site that features Scam Alerts targeted to Seniors. Check out Silver Planet:'s channel on Scam Alerts, and resources for dealing with all the latest scams:   www.silverplanet.com/scams

February 25, 2009, 5:15 am CST

Everyone PLEASE READ

I have received 2 identical scams from 2 different people and no I did not do them.  I actually received the 2nd one today.  So please read this scam so you do not get scammed.  Oh and the first one sent a "contract' to make it look authentic.  What didn't look authentic was the company's website.  It looked cheap and I thought, no one will use this company for their design work.  What they want you to do is open an account so payments can be made to the account.  You would keep 10% and send the other 90% on to the "President".  The second one you can read below.

alfrida.ostergard@getemployed.org 

Brahe Design Inc

Torsten Rieger. Head of Public Relations

Verva

Good day Sir/Ma,
                                  JOB OPENING WITH ORLEN-VERVA

I WISH TO INFORM YOU THAT THERE IS A JOB OPENING FOR INTERESTED WORKERS WHOM WISH TO WORK AT THEIR CONVENIENCE, MAINTAIN THEIR REGULAR LIFE STYLE AND EARN A GREAT COMMISSION!

HOW ?

You could work on Part-Time basis for ORLEN-VERVA Companies as a FINANCE COORDINATOR in the United States/Canada or its environs which requires a great deal of trust and honesty. Meanwhile, this job is 100% tax free and there is no start up cost required.

My name is Torsten Rieger (Head of Public Relations, PKN ORLEN Companies).

PKN ORLEN is a Polish company and one of Central Europe's largest refiners of crude oil. We specialize in processing crude oil into world-class unleaded petrol, diesel, heating oil, and aviation fuel as well as plastics and other petroleum related products. (read More at www.verva.pl).

Presently, we have just been granted a funding to head a research project in POLAND and Its environs regarding Oil Drainage, Planning and Management and work is already in progress. However, the funding is made mostly with US certified checks by our various financiers.

JOB DESCRIPTION:
1. Receive payment from Clients.
2. Cash Payments at your Bank.
3. Deduct 10% which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed.
4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage and pay to any of the offices you will be instructed to do so later (Payment is to be forwarded by WESTERN UNION Money Transfer).

HOW MUCH WILL YOU EARN?
10% from each transaction! For instance: you receive 5000 USD via checks on our Behalf. You will cash the Check and keep $500 (10% of $5000) for yourself! Anyway, your commission is a constant percentage which will be subjected to an increase of 15% and above based on your efficiency in services being rendered to the company.

Your willingness to work as a Payment Representative now will help and save time since payment is coming from our financiers in your country and its cashed and transferred by our coordinator (you) in the same country so that this project can be concluded as soon as possible.

We try to be thoughtful of employees, business partners, local communities and natural environment. Health and housing allowance will be catered for (Effective after 1 week on Application). This is acknowledged as part of our policy. You may decline the policy offer anyway.

If interested in this job, do fill the application form below send via e-mail to:

ORLENVERVA@AOL.COM

Then we'll make the concluding arrangements on how you'll get started.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest Regards,

Torsten Rieger.
Head of Public Relations
PKN ORLEN S.A.
24hrs Email Service

PKN ORLEN COMPANIES.
APPLICATION FORM

FULL NAME:-

HOME ADDRESS (NOT POST OFFICE BOX):-

CITY:-

STATE:-

ZIP CODE:-

PRESENT/PAST JOB EXPERIENCE:-

PHONE NUMBERS (Home and Mobile):-

(Information included in this application form is CONFIDENTIAL between you and me, and the full name and contact info should be included as it should be written on the payments being issued over to you, you should also include a valid phone number for easy contact)

In agreement to this kindly append signature below

February 25, 2009, 7:06 am CST

Report Scams

I say to everyone just don't throw the scams in the trash can when you realize you received one.  See if your state has a fraud hotline as I know Florida does after a little research so report the scam to your state's fraud hotline.  If your state does not have a fraud hotline contact your legislators so you can get one one.

This help out other people like the 90 year old man down the street who could be easily fooled by a good con scam or the 45 year old mentally handicapped person down the street.  Look out for them to help them.  When I receive something strange in the mail for example just recently about grants I google a question: Any complaints against Life System Institute?  That is how I discovered it was a scam due to reports on the Internet which were filed with the BBB- 788 complaints.  Finally when I start a new checking account this month I'm tearing up the free checks and I will only pay myself with the card and then I'll write a money order for a bill.  By doing this no outside person has my account or card number in their business files- so I would suggest to all stop using electronic check payments over computer  or phone, credit card or debit card payments over computer or phone, get the money you need for a bill out of the ATM for yourself and then write a money order for the bill-just remembrer many stores charge at least 99 cents for a money order as I believe this is the best way to beat fraud. 

February 25, 2009, 7:56 am CST

Need answer please

I have been considering using a debt settlement company.  After yesterdays show I am afraid to use such services.  I have serious credit card debt that needs to be paid.  I am current on my payments thus far.  But... can not/will not continue making the payments while the  interest and my balance increase monthly.

My question is how do I know if this company is legit?  <New Leaf Debt>  And...If it is not, can anyone suggest a website with advice on how to negotiate a settlement myself, a company that is legit that can help me with this or should I consult with an attorney on the matter?

February 25, 2009, 10:13 am CST

Definetly

Quote From: freemen76

the rich have been robbing the poor for god only knows how long

about time the rich got robbed back

Got any ideas on how to fight this class war fare?   

Mine are boycotts of all bailed out and of large companies(in fact I started a facebook group called Boycott the Bailout Companies), calling to complain and emailing bailed out companies and giving them a piece of our mind, and voting all the criminals out in Congress who keep supporting their corporate criminal friends.  

February 25, 2009, 10:25 am CST

Wanna be really pissed

Quote From: jcastille_99

Today, your show on the rich getting scammed by Madoff!  I'm playing the world's smallest violin, the song - "My Heart Bleeds for You"!  You know what their problem is?  They were GREEDY, GREDY, GREEDY!  It is so sad that we now live in a world of liers, cheats, & theives!  It has become normal to cheat!  Isn't that the name of the game?  I have never in my life been a cheater.  My face naturally shows when I lie, cheat or steal.  It's called Karma!  What goes around, comes around.  What is with this generation of people who thinks nothing of cheating and being greedy, and intant gratification?  Of course I had great parent's who taught me well!  I have been living paycheck to paycheck for the last 8 years due to the de-regulation of the banks and credit card companies.  They can charge you a high interest rate and if you are late paying by even 1 minute you get a $35 charge added as a late fee charge.  I've been screaming about this for a long time.  It's wrong, wrong, wrong!  That's why I don't have credit cards anymore!!!!  I've made double payments on all my past cards and refuse to buy something I can't pay cash for!  Everyone should do the same.  We could all protest these credit card companies by not succumbing to their will.  And, who was the idiot who thought of the sub-prime adjustable rates for mortgages.  What makes these people think that someone can make a regular payment and then double that payment so they will lose their home?  Idiot's...I say let them sink into their own GREEDY HOLE!  We shouldn't use our taxpayer money to help these greedy SOB's.  Let them fall flat on their face!!!!

Sincerely,

Juliet Castille

I have been investigating the organized crime group known as Citibank for years and I have talked with ex-employees who have told me if a payment comes in just before a due date they will often hold it and mark it late and throw away the envelope to hide evidence.  These are the criminals that our government is stealing from us to fund.  As far as I am concerned the number one scam is tax and the theft of our tax payer dollars to give to these criminals.   Everyone needs to take there money out of the big banks especially Citibank and BOFA.   Move your money to a credit union or local banks.   There is a credit union almost anyone can join, if by nothing else based on the location where you live in.    Buy local and the smaller and more local the better.  We have to stop funding the criminals in power.  

I too do not use credit cards and if everyone payed cash in the first place there would not be an economic crisis.   

February 25, 2009, 12:04 pm CST

face book

Quote From: annharper

I was told for only $1.00 I would get a cd from govtfundedgrants.  I was charged the $1.001/20/09, but then on 1/27/09 I was charged $29.95 and on 2/10 I was charged $4.95 and on 2/13/09 I was charged $9.95.  There are two phone numbers given on these charges----800-712-7222 (which is a run-around number) and 866-336-9634 )which is a good number which a person gives you two other phone numbers( 866-387-2521 and 866-351-8557) to stop the future charges.  They told me I was supposed to cancel within three days to not receive those charges and that they would not refund my money.  I had to cancel my debit card and order another one. My bank did return the charges and credit me back and they also refunded $60.00 in nsf charges.  I thought this govtfundedgrants was Goverment Funded Grants but was NOT!!  Hope this info helps someone else!   I still have not received the cd!!

hey i a face book page  i was os sad about that guy sending money to some he didn't kown and. I have see page's were kids give there cell phone on there page's 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last