Message Boards

Topic : 02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Number of Replies: 42
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 20, 2009, 05:23:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
With the country facing economic woes, many Americans are on the lookout for ways to generate extra cash. But are those lucrative offers to work from home and get-rich-quick ads legitimate, or scams designed to swindle consumers? Corbie found out the hard way when she says she registered online to become a mystery shopper. The job came with a check for $4,000, so how did she lose $5,000? Next, Blair says she surfed the Net for a part-time job she could do from home. She was hired for a data entry position paying $35 an hour, so how did this one-time high school valedictorian end up losing thousands? Then, Richard and Cynthia say they were about to retire at 59, but were devastated to learn that they lost everything in an alleged Ponzi scheme. Now Richard fears he and his wife will have to pinch pennies in their golden years. Can the couple get over the guilt of losing their investments and move on? Plus, attorney Steven J. Weisman gives you the tools to protect yourself from con artists, and don’t miss the top 10 most popular scams! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 25, 2009, 12:56 pm CST

British Scam

Dear Dr. Phil:

Following is just one the the scams sent to me on a weekly basis, I get them from all over the world and receive at least 5 per week.

British Anniversary Promotion
Watford, Head Office and Regional Centre Camelot Group plc,
Tolpits Lane, Watford, Herts, WD18 9RN
Registered in England and Wales No. 2822203

Attention: Winner

In line with the commemorating event marking our anniversary of America's first permanent English colony, we rolled out over Ƙ16,000.000.00 (Sixteen Million Great Britain Pounds) for our 42nd Anniversary Draws Which thereby won you Ƙ850,000 GBP. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn form 25,000 companies mobile numbers/email addresses, and 30,000,000 individual mobile numbers/email addresses from the 45 mobile networks from Australia, New Zealand, North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa as part of International Promotions Program, which is conducted annually in Britain, London.
This promo is approved by the British Gaming Board and also licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR). This promo is the 1st of its kind and we intend to sensitize the public. To begin the verification process of your prize, you are required to fill and submit the below verification worksheet to our representative, Dr Arthur Huluska with private email address: arthurhuluska@googlemail.com for quick verification

VERIFICATION REQUIREMENT

All fields are required:
FULL NAMES:..
DATE OF BIRTH:..
POSITION:..
WORK ADDRESS:..
RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS:..
WINNING MOBILE NUMBER:..
NETWORK NAME:..
ALTERNATE MOBILE/PHONE NUMBER:..
AMOUNT WON:..
EMAIL ADDRESS(S):..

*You are to send a scanned copy of your Passport or Driver's lisence along with this form.

I wish to on behalf of all members and staff of british government © congratulate you on your win and wish you the best of luck as you spend your good fortune. Thank you for being part of our commemorative Anniversary Draws.

Yours In Service,
British Lottery Promo Co-Ordinator: Dr. Arthur Huluska
Tel Number: +44 704 570 9700

Copyright ©2009 british gov.org  All rights

February 25, 2009, 2:35 pm CST

02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Dr Phil...

I found this topic to be very interesting.  One thing you did not touch on is a hidden scam out there right now that I was a "victim" of. I say "victim" because I figured him out before I gave him any of my money, but he was a scam artist and certainly TRIED to scam me out of $3000 and he did it to my face!

This person pretended to be dating me; we spent time together and did date type things. He was always mentioning this new venture he was getting involved with where he was an agent for an international fund was "donating" funds to small business owners to help "stimulate" the economy.  There was a whole story that goes along with it, but that is the gist of it.

The catch was in order to start the application process you had to write a check for $3000 to someone I had never met before.  I had said I wanted to meet this person and learn more about his company and he was so slick that he said we could meet. I decided it was a scam before I went to meet them,  and I was right!

He dropped out of sight completely right after I refused to pay the $!!  It has been a few months since I interacted with him and I am now seeing him around preying on other women and I want everyone to be aware of this new type of scam!! They get you to trust them, they learn all about you and then they try to use it against you!  They are predators and they are more dangerous than the ones online because you see them face to face. A sociopath is truly scary!

February 25, 2009, 4:51 pm CST

internet scam/fraud

I am selling my golden retriever puppies located in Mn.  Somehow someone found me via the internet.  She (???) claims to be 100 % disabled  (hearing impaired).

I am selling my pups for $400, and I received a certified check (federal express) for $3500.  She asks me to keep the $400 plus any expense and wire the rest of funds $3050 to some agent in Tx.  He is her "pick-up agent". 

The check was drawn on a Ca. bank, and the federal express office was in Ms.  The person who wants the puppy claims to be from Wash DC.  I emailed back and told her that she could send postal money order for the exact amt. and have someone pick up the pup.  Or have whoever is picking up the puppy to give me cash or postal money order. 

Sound like a scam to you ?

February 26, 2009, 5:46 am CST

How to avoid telephone scams

It wasn't 24 hours after the show when my husband received a call telling him that Fedex wanted to deliver a package to him but they had the wrong address.  They only had part of our address correct.  They told us it was a package from "The International Lottery & Sweepstakes".

I informed them that we did not order any items nor did we expect a package.  I informed them that I believed it was a scam and they just kept talking.  When we hung up, they kept calling back!  Another sign was their number was caller-id blocked.  So I did the following:

1.  Ask for the number they are calling from.  They gave me the following numbers:  876-298-3652 (which I dialed from another phone while they were talking. Needless to say it was not Fedex, but a voicemail service).

2. I asked them for the address and phone number of the sender.  They gave me another voicemail number: 876-328-7922.  The only address they provided was Las Vegas, Nevada.

3. I asked for a tracking number.  They provided 1041136980 (which was phony of course).  What the crooks don't know is that tracking numbers can be checked instantly on the web.

4. I WOULD NOT provide any information.  I told them if they were truly FEDEX, then ship the package to their Stewart Avenue location in Garden City.  Of course they didn't know where that was.

5. I finally told them that the phone call was being recorded so it can be forwarded to the FCC and EUREKA!  They hung up the phone and stopped calling.

I couldn't believe the arrogance of these people.  When I told them they were a scam, they told me to "calm down". 

I've provided all of the detail so if they use the same phone numbers and phony tracking numbers, you can be informed.

Also be aware that these folks are persistent.  They want to appeal to your sense of urgency and the belief that you won something.  When I kept peppering them with questions, he kept telling me that he had to check his computer, but you can hear him talking to someone over his shoulder coaching him on how to  handle the call. 

February 26, 2009, 10:58 am CST

concerned for you

Quote From: linderlee49

I am selling my golden retriever puppies located in Mn.  Somehow someone found me via the internet.  She (???) claims to be 100 % disabled  (hearing impaired).

I am selling my pups for $400, and I received a certified check (federal express) for $3500.  She asks me to keep the $400 plus any expense and wire the rest of funds $3050 to some agent in Tx.  He is her "pick-up agent". 

The check was drawn on a Ca. bank, and the federal express office was in Ms.  The person who wants the puppy claims to be from Wash DC.  I emailed back and told her that she could send postal money order for the exact amt. and have someone pick up the pup.  Or have whoever is picking up the puppy to give me cash or postal money order. 

Sound like a scam to you ?

Sure sounds like a scam to me.  Why would she pay more money than what was asked? Sounds like you will be out the $400.00 plus the $3050.00 if you cash or deposit the money.  You could call the bank the certified check is drawn on if there is one and verify it.

February 26, 2009, 11:02 am CST

Quote From: weaverhaj

I have been considering using a debt settlement company.  After yesterdays show I am afraid to use such services.  I have serious credit card debt that needs to be paid.  I am current on my payments thus far.  But... can not/will not continue making the payments while the  interest and my balance increase monthly.

My question is how do I know if this company is legit?  <New Leaf Debt>  And...If it is not, can anyone suggest a website with advice on how to negotiate a settlement myself, a company that is legit that can help me with this or should I consult with an attorney on the matter?

I did check with my attorney on this and he said "don't do it".  You will end up losing most of the money you send them because they send only a small percent to your creditors.

February 26, 2009, 12:53 pm CST

Mystery shopping

I have done the myster y shopping and recently was contacted by JM Ridgway so I completed their form and emailed it.  Today in the mail I received via UPS a check for $3,800.  I had e-mailed them after watching the show and said I was not interestedl.  I e-mailed and asked if they were the ones sending the check as another business was listed in the shipment from part (a TV place) and they answered "Yes, we sent the check, but it went out before we received your e-mail cancelling with us"  I calle the bank "Wachovia" in GA and they said this was a scam and DO NOT deposit the check.  I then called the TV business and they verified this scam and whoever is doing this just used their name.  I will be writing this all up and taking it down to our local police department the fraud unit.  The bank and TV place thought that was a very good idea.  The TV place said they have been getting these returned refused and they are being charged $20. if they take them, so they are now refusing them.  I would have NEVER deposited the check--with it was suppose to be instrustions for using it to send money orders and shopping at WalMart and doing a review about the store.  The bank told me normally they ask you to deposit the check and send them a check for so much. 

February 26, 2009, 2:04 pm CST

internet dating scam

Just wanted to share a story...I met a nice man on the internet dating site and foolish that I was coming out of a long marrage was just looking for love. He was very handsome, charming and very distinguished, so I thought. After dating for a few months and spending weekends with him he became a little distraut. I asked if there was anything I could do and he said he needed some money. I like a fool and thought in love let him borrow the money 3500 dollars with a promise to repay back asap. I told him there was no hurry.  He brought me home to meet his mother & father we spent a few days on vacation together and everything seemed o.k. then he starting to not call as often and we just went our seperate ways on good terms. He would call me sometimes and always e-mail me with promises to pay me back. Well it's been almost 3 years in July and he has been out of contact with me since sept. of 2008.  I have pleaded, begged and asked over and over again to just please let me know what is going on with my loan....he is nowhere to be found. I have even gone on people finders.com and still no luck. the reason I am sharing this is to warn all women young and old  do not trust anyone you meet on those sites. They pray on women just like me coming out of a bad marrage and wham take us for a ride. I would do anything to be on Dr. Phil's show to speak out loud to all of us and maybe even expose the slime bag that he is to everyone maybe then I could find him. Like Dr. Phil said "How do people like him wake up in the morning cheating us of what little we have" I wish I would have seen this show before I became involved. I will probably never see the money again but I will not give up on searching for him!! Good luck to you all, thank you for reading, Ruby Zulaica

February 26, 2009, 7:21 pm CST

Quote From: roobz654

Just wanted to share a story...I met a nice man on the internet dating site and foolish that I was coming out of a long marrage was just looking for love. He was very handsome, charming and very distinguished, so I thought. After dating for a few months and spending weekends with him he became a little distraut. I asked if there was anything I could do and he said he needed some money. I like a fool and thought in love let him borrow the money 3500 dollars with a promise to repay back asap. I told him there was no hurry.  He brought me home to meet his mother & father we spent a few days on vacation together and everything seemed o.k. then he starting to not call as often and we just went our seperate ways on good terms. He would call me sometimes and always e-mail me with promises to pay me back. Well it's been almost 3 years in July and he has been out of contact with me since sept. of 2008.  I have pleaded, begged and asked over and over again to just please let me know what is going on with my loan....he is nowhere to be found. I have even gone on people finders.com and still no luck. the reason I am sharing this is to warn all women young and old  do not trust anyone you meet on those sites. They pray on women just like me coming out of a bad marrage and wham take us for a ride. I would do anything to be on Dr. Phil's show to speak out loud to all of us and maybe even expose the slime bag that he is to everyone maybe then I could find him. Like Dr. Phil said "How do people like him wake up in the morning cheating us of what little we have" I wish I would have seen this show before I became involved. I will probably never see the money again but I will not give up on searching for him!! Good luck to you all, thank you for reading, Ruby Zulaica
Well I had something similar happen to me except the fellow I was dating I knew; he grew up with my brothers so I figured it was safe to date him.  He needed a loan for a "house" he was having built out of state.  Gave him the money (uh, hem $20,000!!); figured I had loaned people money before with a low interest rate and was always repaid-never a problem).  Few months went by and here I am asking for my money (I only asked for a couple thousand a month till paid off).  He made excuses and at one point said "you don't need the money now anyway".  Oh boy.  I got suspicious that he didn't use my money for a "house".  Did some investigating, turned out he bought a firetruck instead (he and his father use to purchase firetrucks and ambulances, restore them, then resell them).  I froze when the salesman at the truck dealer told me and went into shock.  Of couse I would never have given him the money for a firetruck.  Well, I sued him.  He had no idea it was coming.  My attorney did a background check on him and found he "had a substantial criminal background" and he never "bought or owned any property."  Infuriatated me even more. Well, got my money back (all of it), but the more people I ran into I found out even more info on him, like how he spent time in prison for "impersonating a police officer".  All I felt was humiliation and violated by this person; we even talked about moving in together.  I had also met his family and he mine.  Took me a long time to get over it and move on.  And I had no idea he was such a con. 

March 3, 2009, 6:15 pm CST

I turned the tide on a scammer

My husband and I were trying to sell his Corvette online when we were contacted via Email by someone with broken English asking about the condition of the car.  Since the ad and pictures spoke for themselves, I was already suspicious; however I answered.  I was told that he had a buyer for my car and would send me a cashier's check for a lot more than the requested amount.  I was to wire him the overpayment (keeping out my expenses of course) back to him.  Of course, I immediately recognized a con job but played along.  He sent the money order and I verified that the bank on which it was drawn had closed some time before.  I have to admit I got way too much enjoyment reading the desperation in his Emails asking me first if I had received the cashier's check and then sent me a copy that he had where I had signed for it and then asking me to please contact him to make arrangements to wire him his funds.  I totally enjoyed the several Emails asking me why I wasn't answering him.  After several days, I Emailed him and told him that he should be ashamed of himself for his dishonesty and that he wasn't nearly as smart as he thought he was.  I told him he should get down on his knees and ask God for forgiveness for his duplicity.  You'll never believe what he did next !!  He sent me an Email telling me that he had "turned his life around" after reading my Email and he was registering to attend a Bible college and he asked me if I would wire him any amount I could afford to help pay his tuition.  I was speechless.  Needless to say I never answered him--what do you say to something like that?  By the way, we still have the Vette and we advertise from time to time -- locally.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last