Message Boards

Topic : 02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Number of Replies: 42
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 20, 2009, 05:23:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
With the country facing economic woes, many Americans are on the lookout for ways to generate extra cash. But are those lucrative offers to work from home and get-rich-quick ads legitimate, or scams designed to swindle consumers? Corbie found out the hard way when she says she registered online to become a mystery shopper. The job came with a check for $4,000, so how did she lose $5,000? Next, Blair says she surfed the Net for a part-time job she could do from home. She was hired for a data entry position paying $35 an hour, so how did this one-time high school valedictorian end up losing thousands? Then, Richard and Cynthia say they were about to retire at 59, but were devastated to learn that they lost everything in an alleged Ponzi scheme. Now Richard fears he and his wife will have to pinch pennies in their golden years. Can the couple get over the guilt of losing their investments and move on? Plus, attorney Steven J. Weisman gives you the tools to protect yourself from con artists, and don’t miss the top 10 most popular scams! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 21, 2009, 1:44 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Get How Not Phil.Robin Seammed To. I was never scammed in my life. So there. See you on Tu----

esday fEBURry 24th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------

February 24, 2009, 11:23 am CST

02/24 How Not to Get Scammed

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Get How Not Phil.Robin Seammed To. I was never scammed in my life. So there. See you on Tu----

esday fEBURry 24th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------

Hello all.  I have never been scammed yet.  But I do believe there is alot of legit work from home companies.  Just last week I worked for one.  It was Cloud10 and it was for the DTV project.  It did not last long, but I knew it was temporary.  I am now waiting for another offer from them.  Maybe Dr. Phil could look into more of these companies for us and let us know what we can do to get hired on with some of these companies.  I have applied at like 10 of them since Oct. 2008.  But only heard from Cloud10 so far.

February 24, 2009, 12:01 pm CST

Help I'm being scammed

The scam I am being hit with is called "tax".  My money is being stolen by the tax dodgers in power to be given to their criminal friends such as those at Citigroup, AIG, BOFA, Chyrseller, and GM.   By the way Citigroup also stole money from me when I was a customer.   My assailants have told me that I better pay or else.    Are you being hit by this scam too?  What will you do to help fight this scam? 
Every other scam is small change compared to this one.   

February 24, 2009, 12:07 pm CST

rich got robbed good

the rich have been robbing the poor for god only knows how long

about time the rich got robbed back

February 24, 2009, 12:43 pm CST

I just can't feel bad

I saw the beginning of today's show & had to turn it off.  I just can't feel bad for this man who's a CPA and has to 'start over' at age 59 because of the Madoff scam.  I would bet my life he still has more than most of us.  The car companies get bailed out, the rich get taken for a ride and get to appear on TV, what do the rest of us get?  No one has ever come to my rescue.

February 24, 2009, 1:14 pm CST

so sad

I can't believe the person that said the rich has been robbing the poor OMG are you serious!!!!  Madoff is scum of the earth. Stanford has recently done the same thing to many many people including my famiily. Millions of dollars have been scammed and he is off with his planes and giving to charities and rubbing elbows with the most powerful when all in itself he is the devil!!!! PEOPLE WORK HARD FOR THEIR MONEY AND IT IS THEIRS AND IT SHOULD  BE GIVEN BACK.. THE US GOVERNMENT AND FBI, FED ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2009, 1:30 pm CST

To Cynthia and Richard

I hope Richard and Cynthia read this. I'd like to say that I know this is traumatic, but it can be ok. My husband and I make the most of being poor now, and it's brought us closer together. We are young and we've only been together for six years, but we have had good financial times together and bad times. We have noticed that the bad times bring us together, and honestly, true love is so much more valuable than I realized before I met Kyle. Now, we would certainly be happier with more financial security, but we couldn't be happier with each other. Find the little ways to make each other happy, and you will be surprised at how much you can do without spending money. It is obvious that the two of you love each other and have a good relationship, so just think of whatever you can to be glad to still have, and the rest will start to come slowly but surely. Good luck, and my prayers are with you.

Oh, and why not write a book about the experience? Creative nonfiction still sells, right? Kickstart your new nest egg with a memoir.

February 24, 2009, 1:38 pm CST

How Not to Get Scammed

Since losing my job I check into Dr. Phil from time to time.  Today's subject of Scamming could not have come at a more timely time.  I was hoping such a situation would possibly be brought up in your show but I realize limited time so you can't cover every such scam situation. 

I am blaming Internet Dating sites.  About a year ago I was communicating from what I thought was a US soldier stationed in Iraq.  We communicated daily via email and vis msn chat line.  Earlier this month he was speaking of a project he was working with one of the generals...an off duty job in which he was paid cash.  Then it was a case he was unable to be having cash as a soldier and wanted to send it to me in order that I may keep it for the time he finished his tour of duty and came to visit me.  So far so good...not really, but... Then supposedly a diplomat was involved and was bringing to me a package containing the money and some personal items but the diplomat supposedly did not know about the money.  The diplomat was sending regular messages upon his trek here to Canada to deliver this package.  Then he is in Ghana and needed $2,000 Cdn before going any further.  I froze.  I got in contact with a friend of mine who is exmilitary and involved at some point with RCMP.  He then directed me to what to do and I followed his instructions to the letter.  I feel like such a fool even more so after watching your show such as comments that scammers are really not all that educated and English is a second language and to look out for things such as grammer, spelling, punctuation.  Well...if you seen the messages that would make sense but I find most men appear a little "stupid" on email with spelling and using short forms etc.  I see one of your comments about anything from Nigeria...well this show should have happened a week ago and I would have been completely saved!  Bottom line...thank you Dr. Phil for bringing this to the attention of your viewers.  You say you know us!  Good work! Thank you.

February 24, 2009, 1:39 pm CST

How Not to Get Scammed

Those who scam and "get scammed" are people who are either:  1) downright ignorant/stupid, 2) corrupt themselves ("If it's too good to be true it isn't"--remember that one?) and last but not least, 3) GREEDY.  The number one reason scams are successful for BOTH the scmammer and the scammed is that both parties are thinking in terms of "instant wealth" (money, money and more money!) without working hard to attain it. (EASY money!) Greed comes in all genders, races, ages, ethnic, employment and educational backgrounds.  I do not feel any sympathy (especially for those who are educated and wealthy to begin with) for their monetary loss.  Common sense flew out the window and greed came through the front door.  Simple.  No one is to blame but themselves.  Dr. Phil, to tell the "victims" of these scams not to blame themselves for any of their plight is downright ludicrous.  Your guests are much smarter than you're giving them credit for.  Scams have been around since the beginning of time.  History keeps repeating itself.  Many people will never learn the lesson.

February 24, 2009, 1:40 pm CST

Richard and Cynthia...

You will probably get tons of messages but please read mine. My husband and I have never had the kind of money you and your wife had but we DO understand your pain. We lost a business years ago that continues to  be a burden for my husband. He also blamed himself for that loss.  We lost our home and vehicles and all credit. I think it was hardest on our kids, however we survived. We survived because we still had each other and we had our kids. When ever I get down my husband reminds me of that fact. We will work till we are called home to heaven...we have been blessed by the ability TO WORK HARD!!

Our kids think we are heros and learned many lessons about what is truely important. Tomorrow will come no matter what your bank account is. You pay bills as you can and be honest with everyone...even those who still have all the bucks. If those "friends" can't see beyond your bank account, find some new friends. Look at it as charecter building..we did and now we are real charecters. Keep a smile on your face..someone will smile back!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last