Message Boards

Topic : 03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 39
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:29:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you're suffering through the difficult economic times and looking for ways to save money, get out your pen and paper and start taking notes! Dr. Phil's guests offer real tips to help you save money on clothes, utilities and vacations. Plus, learn how to cut your grocery bill in half and how to entertain your family on the cheap. The Economides family has mastered the art of spending less. They say they have the secret to living on $44,000 a year, even with five children. You might be surprised how easy it is to implement their frugal ways of living. See how far they can stretch $100 at the grocery store and how they expand their family wardrobe on just $75. Then, Daniel and Mandy say they keep blowing their budget and need help reining in their spending. They've separated twice because of money issues and have even filed for bankruptcy. How should they realign their lifestyle? And, Ashley is a stay-at-home mom who says she's been able to slash her grocery bills by more than half. Learn how she does it and how you can too! Plus, find out how you can win a $1,000 Shell gas card. Don't miss these amazing tips and tricks to live on less that will put money in your pocket! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 2, 2009, 3:20 pm CST

RE: Coupon Link

Quote From: puppies2

Dr. Phil on the show today you had Ashley talk about her coupon saving. I did not get the link for her. Would it be possible for someone to give it to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and look forward to more on this idea in the future.

You can find the link for the coupons on the "Money Saving Tips & Tricks" page. Simply copy and paste this address into your browser and you will see the resources listed toward the bottom of the page.

http://drphil.com/shows/show/1232/

March 2, 2009, 4:05 pm CST

living below your means is responsible

I have always lived below my means- It is not always easy . I have never bought a new car and I shop at the thrift shop - clip coupons-  been doing all this for years. It never bothered me that much because I always felt lucky to have what I have- I am so afraid to have no money for emergencies or food.  I do not have a lot of money saved up and do not go on vacations.  What really bugs me though are all the multimillionaires that benefited by the  Bank Bailout and mortgage defaulters left and right that purchased homes they could not afford and purchase too much on credit and now all the people that have been responsible and do the right thing- work really hard and  have to pay for all those that make stupid decisions or do not know how to manage their budgets.  It just does not seem fair.  I wonder if any one out there has a more equitable solution.  why should the responsible people pay for those that are not.  Will they ever learn?.  From the one guest on the show today-  It shows that they possibly do not learn from going thru bankruptcy . If someone does not come up with a more equitable solution I am afraid we are all going down the tubes. 

March 2, 2009, 4:07 pm CST

a little advice PLEASE!!

I am a recently divorced stay at home mother of 2 spoiled girls.  Since the divorce, I have a full time job, did the right thing and sold my house (because I could not afford it..who knew we were sooo close to a bail out!!) And am currently sinking..no longer even treading water..sinking!

I used my credit cards to keep life as normal as possible for my girls..but I am now suffering.  I can not even afford the monthly payments on these cards.  I make dinner for my girls every night (except Friday) and we have cut out any extra activitis.  I feel like I am trying..riding my bike to work instead of driving..I do not know what to do.  I'm thinking that bankruptcy is where I'm headed.

Its so hard to do the right thing..I cant afford to pay for health insurance but I pay for it because its the right thing to do.  I gave up my SUV for a pries which has helped but I cant afford the car payment.  I need to go to college so I can better my life and the life of my girls but how can I do that? 

I am home sick today from work and caught the last part of your show..I need help.  Any suggestion you have for me and my spoiled girls would be greatly appreciated

March 2, 2009, 4:30 pm CST

thrifty vs outlandish

Quote From: klump1

It is not about being cheap. It is about being smart. A show like todays should have been airing for years on a regular basis. I am an infrequent blogger but when the topic of money comes up you can bet I like to blog. I share my money management tips with others in a money management class held at a local college. I also work with people on an  individual basis. Dr. Phil hit the nail on the head today. For MANY people this is about ego and not about the math and or money. No I am not talking about those who have lost jobs in this country. They are the ones who need help and we should all be there for them. For the majority of people I educate it is about ego and liking the POSITIVES to DEBT. Dr. Phil always says we get a reward (s)from all behavior. Yes being in debt has HUGE rewards. My last class listed 75 positives to debt once they learned the concept.  Positives to debt  mean the newer car, spontaneous and fun vacations, not saying no to kids(HUGE ONE) not taking time to clip the coupons etc... It also means looking at your self worth. Can you feel totally awesome in a slightly used $2.00 top???? Can you drive a old car and feel great?????? Can you say no to all the things society has made look so great.?Now my husband makes an ok income but due to our high self worth I get to be home and enjoy a brand new beautiful home on 40 acres of land. How????? Hubby drives a $400 car. Yes we have one nicer 1999 Yukon but for gas it is the Honda Civic at $400 One product in the shower that shaves, washes hair/skin, conditions hair/skin etc... This is a $1.00 product.  Never, ever more than $1 on personal care items. NEVER.Clothing never more than $3.00  NO CABLE or high speed net. No furnishings in the home for more than $10.00 NEVER. Food at $30.00 a week.  Hair or nails never more than $5 Yet there are trips, outings, meals out, snowmobiling, 4 wheeling etc... I must say how WONDERFUL it is that today when I get asked to those purse parties or to buy the expensive products at salons I don't feel so disrespected when I say"No are you Nuts" The rewards to being smart are unreal. When they showed the list of items that one should never pay full price for I thought"Hey I never pay more than a $1.00 for any of those"  Final Thought-I know that this does not work for all people and that is good. If we all shopped like I do the economy would seriously suffer even more. What would happen to the designer stores, car dealerships, restaurants in America had to rely on the Thrifty Americans. That would truly bring so many business environments down to zero. Any thoughts on that other thrifty people??????
I have given that some thought lately.  I started to think about this when Bush said we were heading for the next depression and I thought-  good ( maybe we need to have a check and balance)  I don't mean good  like what happend in the first Depression.  I think people have really gotten out of touch with what is really necessary and important and maybe a reality check is in order.  Maybe we don't need all these fancy designer shops.  Maybe we need to redefine what businesses this country can really benefit from as a whole.  I am sure many would disagree with me.  I am really starting to think we need to reinvent our economy and what is really important to go forward in the future.  Things are definately broken right now and it may just take a completely different mind set in order to fix it.  I wonder if any one else has some ideas out there.  I am definately not feeling to comfortable with the way the government is heading at the moment with this Debt Package.

March 2, 2009, 4:46 pm CST

How I save

Knowing the difference between a need and a want, is a must.  Six months ago I saved over $200 a month simply by getting rid of all the extras on my land line phone service, and getting the family package Dish newtork had, then I dumped my paid webpage, and switched to use as you go cell service, since I dislike talking on the phone and use it only on rare occasions like when I am lost here in the Sierras.

One of the biggest business are the self storage places where people store the excess they have.  People need to learn to live with less, learn how to do their own home repair, car up keep, yard work.  I also recommend freecycle.org which I use a lot, when I need something or have something to give away. It helps keep things out of the landfill.

And yes thrift stores are wonderful and loved the advise the guests on the show shared. Also learn to grow a vegetable garden and can the produce/fruit you harvest.  Learn to cook from stratch.  A big pot of beans can be used to make chilli, soups, salads, mexican dishes.  Get a big bag of potatoes and make soup, hash browns, casseroles, baked, or steamed then top with steamed veggies. Use italian salad dressing you have made as a marinade not just as a dressing.  Learn to make bread which is healthier and costs less than forty cents a loaf. 

Where allowed, consider six laying hens for your back yard.  Learn to mend the clothes you have as well as learn to sew.  Have pot lucks with friends instead of eating out. Its a great way to eat good food as well as having a great time together.

Where allowed look into installing water barrels and grey water barrels to collect water for watering the lawn, trees and flowers.  Drink more water and less Coke, Pepsi and other sugar or non sugar drinks. Buy a reusable beverage container for coffee and water.  And consider using a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container as a 'doggie bag' when you do eat out. 

March 2, 2009, 4:57 pm CST

Send this info to the mom of the octuplets

There has been a lot of talk about the mom with 14 kids...it sounds like she could use some lessons from all the people on today's show.  Instead of more negative talk about her, here's a solution that she can embrace if she's really not looking for a handout. Clipping coupons takes time which she won't have a lot of...but it beats the alternative of not being able to provide for your children and getting them taken away.

March 2, 2009, 4:57 pm CST

Daniel/Mandy Beyond their Means

I have never posted a comment or even visited this site until after watching today's show!  I was driven to comment in hopes that maybe I could offer a solution to Daniel and Mandy in alleviating their financial stressors.

Mandy ~ you looked great on the show!  I couldn't help but notice that you were wearing VERY stylish and popular jewelry too!  Do you or have you ever considered lia sophia as an option for your family and a way to make more money for your family?  It has literally changed my life and know that it can do that for anyone.  Previous to joining lia sophia, I was a COALMINER!!  I worked insane 14 hour rotating shifts (loved the job, but family more!).  Now I raise my kids, contribute to the family income, earn great vacations and "party/work" whenever I want to. 

If all you've ever done is hostess, consider more.  I'd love to help you free yourself financially! 

I'm sure I wasn't the only lia sophia gal to catch you looking fabulous today!

March 2, 2009, 5:04 pm CST

03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: klump1

It is not about being cheap. It is about being smart. A show like todays should have been airing for years on a regular basis. I am an infrequent blogger but when the topic of money comes up you can bet I like to blog. I share my money management tips with others in a money management class held at a local college. I also work with people on an  individual basis. Dr. Phil hit the nail on the head today. For MANY people this is about ego and not about the math and or money. No I am not talking about those who have lost jobs in this country. They are the ones who need help and we should all be there for them. For the majority of people I educate it is about ego and liking the POSITIVES to DEBT. Dr. Phil always says we get a reward (s)from all behavior. Yes being in debt has HUGE rewards. My last class listed 75 positives to debt once they learned the concept.  Positives to debt  mean the newer car, spontaneous and fun vacations, not saying no to kids(HUGE ONE) not taking time to clip the coupons etc... It also means looking at your self worth. Can you feel totally awesome in a slightly used $2.00 top???? Can you drive a old car and feel great?????? Can you say no to all the things society has made look so great.?Now my husband makes an ok income but due to our high self worth I get to be home and enjoy a brand new beautiful home on 40 acres of land. How????? Hubby drives a $400 car. Yes we have one nicer 1999 Yukon but for gas it is the Honda Civic at $400 One product in the shower that shaves, washes hair/skin, conditions hair/skin etc... This is a $1.00 product.  Never, ever more than $1 on personal care items. NEVER.Clothing never more than $3.00  NO CABLE or high speed net. No furnishings in the home for more than $10.00 NEVER. Food at $30.00 a week.  Hair or nails never more than $5 Yet there are trips, outings, meals out, snowmobiling, 4 wheeling etc... I must say how WONDERFUL it is that today when I get asked to those purse parties or to buy the expensive products at salons I don't feel so disrespected when I say"No are you Nuts" The rewards to being smart are unreal. When they showed the list of items that one should never pay full price for I thought"Hey I never pay more than a $1.00 for any of those"  Final Thought-I know that this does not work for all people and that is good. If we all shopped like I do the economy would seriously suffer even more. What would happen to the designer stores, car dealerships, restaurants in America had to rely on the Thrifty Americans. That would truly bring so many business environments down to zero. Any thoughts on that other thrifty people??????

My husband and I are in our mid to late twenties and have been "thrifty" from day one because both of our parents were like that and raised both of us that way.  We are pretty simple, but we do like nice things.  The difference is, we were raised hearing "No", as a result we can say "no" to ourselves.  Parents are doing a disadvantage to children by not saying no to them. 

I remember at the age of fourteen I WANTED a job, searched for one, and found one, only because I wanted to buy myself the clothes and things I wanted.  Teenagers can handle hearing no, and will come to appreciate money if they hear it.  I've always been a hard worker, and it's interesting to see where the friends that were spoiled have ended up at this point in life.  They are definetly not driven at this juncture in life.

In response to the show, a person making 44,000 where I live in NJ with five children would be on welfare.  Even if they were smart with their  money, the cost of living is too much for some.  I forget what the number was, but many people left the state of NJ in this past year.  The cost of living is too much for many to live comfortably and they are moving to cheaper states.  I can imagine how hard that must be for some families just to pick up and leave.  I've read in the Asbury Park Press that it takes 90,000 to live comfortably in NJ, but even then it's tight (This may be for people owning a home).  Fortunately, my husband and I make enough money to comfortably live, own a home, and save monthly.  These shows should discuss the importance of living where you can afford to.  It would also be good to go over different nice places in the country that have lower cost of living but offer city perks. 

March 2, 2009, 5:27 pm CST

03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: puppies2

Dr. Phil on the show today you had Ashley talk about her coupon saving. I did not get the link for her. Would it be possible for someone to give it to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and look forward to more on this idea in the future.

here's my fav.    hotcouponworld.com     it's a free site w/ lots of helpful people and almost every store forum imaginable.

others you could google are, fatwallet, slickdeals, and afullcup

Other suggestions would be to learn to stockpile as well as coupon to maximize your savings, and don't be afraid to try rebateing.

Also, don't just look inyour Sunday paper for coupons. Try grocery stores and gas stations for tearpads and peelies, and e-mail companies of products you like and compliment them,they often send high value coupons.

HTHs

March 2, 2009, 5:43 pm CST

I would suggest this is exactly the wrong thing to do

"The Chinese sell a lot of merchandise in the United States and Canada, in the process, accumulate a lot of dollars. They then loan many of those dollars back to the United States in exchange for all manner of American i.o.u.'s, including Treasury bonds, federal agency bonds, and private-sector debt."

Saving money here and there only causes more unemployment with the end result that everything is going to go up in price.

"If the loans dried up quickly - a worst-case scenario - the result could be a sharp financial crisis. A gradual shift could mean a long downward trend in American living standards as a higher cost of living took its toll."

This was predicted back in 2006.

We are in a crisis of mammoth proportions and saving a few pennies won't do anyone a dang bit of good in this economy. I would like to see this subject dealt with in a realistic way.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next | Last