Message Boards

Topic : 03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 39
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:29:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you're suffering through the difficult economic times and looking for ways to save money, get out your pen and paper and start taking notes! Dr. Phil's guests offer real tips to help you save money on clothes, utilities and vacations. Plus, learn how to cut your grocery bill in half and how to entertain your family on the cheap. The Economides family has mastered the art of spending less. They say they have the secret to living on $44,000 a year, even with five children. You might be surprised how easy it is to implement their frugal ways of living. See how far they can stretch $100 at the grocery store and how they expand their family wardrobe on just $75. Then, Daniel and Mandy say they keep blowing their budget and need help reining in their spending. They've separated twice because of money issues and have even filed for bankruptcy. How should they realign their lifestyle? And, Ashley is a stay-at-home mom who says she's been able to slash her grocery bills by more than half. Learn how she does it and how you can too! Plus, find out how you can win a $1,000 Shell gas card. Don't miss these amazing tips and tricks to live on less that will put money in your pocket! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 2, 2009, 6:00 pm CST

Cannot believe the glazed over eyes in the audience

On the show today, I could not help but see many glazed looking eyes. We are in the midst of the worst economy in most people's memories. People are losing houses. Dr Phil has  advice but still people do not want to hear it or act on it. My friends and I enjoy finding ways to save money. It is almost a competition and it is so much fun. We call each other when we hear of a deal.  We do not deny ourselves much but we do it all on a shoestring.  I can always find some interesting free entertainment, inexpensive restaurants, coupons for almost everything.  But you need to devote some time to saving.  Spend time with your children!  That is free! 
And like the frugal family on the show said, it is not about how much you save on one item but how much you save with a lifestyle change all together.  I have two kids at private colleges that I am paying for totally with my savings, we take trips to Europe and own a nice house.  I work part time but I save more and easily make up for the shortfall. 

March 2, 2009, 6:37 pm CST

SHOP VICTORIOUSLY!

My wife and I make a very nice living but all of these people that spend so much money on cars is ridiculous! I am a huge EBAYer and have recently bought my third vehicle off EBAY. I 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE. It was a $56,000 car brand new and I purchased it for only $21,700! It is still covered under factory warranty and had never been damaged. I even bought it from a dealership! Before you are in the market for a new car, check around.... Yes even on websites because that car you always wanted is out there. I trade up so much, it is pointless to buy new and take such a depreciation hit when I go to sell. I love that people are finally waking up to saving money. Just because it is not brand new, doesn't mean you have to sacrifice for nice things.

March 2, 2009, 7:30 pm CST

great show!

I am a new Dr. Phil watcher.  Loved the show today on thrifty ideas and coupons etc.  Some thoughts and ideas - Last year, due to a failing business, I put myself in a nasty position of claiming bankruptcy.  I have had a fresh start and will not find myself in the same position again.  There is another reward that the DR didn't touch on today regarding budgeting and living beneath your means.  The overwhelming feeling of success and utter happiness at being able to purchase what you need for your family and having something leftover for a rainy day.  The sheer joy of being able to go shopping and pay for your purchases at the time of purchase.  The satisfaction of being able to  pay your utility bills etc.  the week before they are due.  Having the spare change to send to the school for milk money. 

Also - one thing that I heard repeatedly on the show.  That you save money by using coupons, looking for deals etc. etc.  It is not saving money - it is spending less.  It was sounding like a new car commercial.  You are only saving money if it is saved in the bank, the sock drawer or buried in the back yard.  Spending less enables you to save some money.  Most people these days who are 'saving' money are actually spending more than they would have.  Watch television commercials or read the flyers.  How much are people actually 'saving' by purchasing that new car, renting that carpet cleaner or buying that jewelry?

Yes - I am saving money however I am also spending less than I used to which has enabled me to save some. 

Once funny thing happened today before I watched your show - I am still chuckling.  Today I went to the hardware store and purchased 3 items.  I used 2 coupons.  My neighbour was the checkout lady.  This evening, her husband brought over some meat they had just had butchered to give to us so we could 'try' it.  I can hardly wait until the next trip to the hardware store!!!

March 3, 2009, 4:22 am CST

Yesterdays show

I watched yesterdays show.  There was a lot of good advice,  The thing that makes me angry is how these people get all of the coupons that they get.  I live is rural Iowa, I mean out in the country.  We have one paper, where we can get coupons, yes, I clip coupons, but alot of them are not what I buy.  I do watch the sales and buy, but we have 3 grocery stores in a town 25 miles away, and Des Moines is 45 miles away.So you need to take gas into consideration.  I don't know of any stores that give double coupons.  We do all the things that everyone says to do, like shut off lights, turn down the thermostat, don't go out to eat, don't use our credit cards.  We are not really hurting, so far my husband still has his job, but there have been alot of people layed off where he works.  I just don't understand where all these people get their grocery coupons.  I have gone on line, but once again, I don't use alot of the products there are coupons for.  I go to garage sales, even my 20 year old wears clothes I have gotten from garage sales.  My oldest son always said, if you go shopping with Mom, look for her at the clearance racks!!!  I love your show and alot of the advice, it just doesn't seem to work for people in rural America.  If you have any info on where I can get more coupons for groceries, please let me know.  Thank you for your time.

March 3, 2009, 7:36 am CST

Yes and No

Comment on yesterday's show:  Some of the tips & tricks were very helpful but I would add that it isn't exactly accurate when it comes to certain bits of advice given for saving on groceries.  First, in order to use large numbers of coupons, you have to find them.  Unless you subscribe to a number of newspapers which include coupon supplements, you need another source.  Then, you have to find stores that will double coupons & many stores will take a face-value coupon for multiples of the same item but will not double them in that case.  You can print out coupons from various websites but not all stores accept those.  The recommendation that you visit several stores to get the best deals at each comes with more than just the time required to visit each one - there's the little matter of gasoline and mileage driven to do this.  Also, you can shop once a month for basics but not for fresh produce.  Personally, I won't give up salad or items such as bananas so, I guess I'm going to be shopping more than once a month.  My best tipe for dealing with those impulse or gotta have it now purchases:  Make a list of your needs & wants, put it down in black & white and place it on hold for 30 days.  Athe the end of that time, you'd be surprised at how many of the items you have listed simply drop off the list.  Then, hopefully, you'll have narrowed your focus and will spend only for those items you truly can afford.

March 3, 2009, 8:35 am CST

Coupos

Why do they make it so difficult to download coupons on line. I go to the sites that have multiple coupons and it's never anything I use. I go the products site and it never works. The ones that have the merchandise I want, wants me to pay for them mailing me the COUPONS!

Its' live the old business joke...

My card / your card - the only one making any money is the printer!

March 3, 2009, 9:54 am CST

Thrift Stores

I've always been under the impression that thrift stores are for those who are less fortunate than most of us.  I felt badly when an engineer I worked with was strutting about in a London Fog overcoat that he bought at Goodwill for $7.00.  What if a homeless man was collecting bottles & cans to save up to buy that coat?  The engineer, who could afford to buy a brand new coat, deprived someone less fortunate.  I also think that the kind person who donated it to Goodwill anticipated it would go to someone in need. 

I donate the items I no longer to a local homeless shelter.  It was like Christmas when they helped me unload the car. 

March 3, 2009, 10:13 am CST

03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: ramonamorris

I watched yesterdays show.  There was a lot of good advice,  The thing that makes me angry is how these people get all of the coupons that they get.  I live is rural Iowa, I mean out in the country.  We have one paper, where we can get coupons, yes, I clip coupons, but alot of them are not what I buy.  I do watch the sales and buy, but we have 3 grocery stores in a town 25 miles away, and Des Moines is 45 miles away.So you need to take gas into consideration.  I don't know of any stores that give double coupons.  We do all the things that everyone says to do, like shut off lights, turn down the thermostat, don't go out to eat, don't use our credit cards.  We are not really hurting, so far my husband still has his job, but there have been alot of people layed off where he works.  I just don't understand where all these people get their grocery coupons.  I have gone on line, but once again, I don't use alot of the products there are coupons for.  I go to garage sales, even my 20 year old wears clothes I have gotten from garage sales.  My oldest son always said, if you go shopping with Mom, look for her at the clearance racks!!!  I love your show and alot of the advice, it just doesn't seem to work for people in rural America.  If you have any info on where I can get more coupons for groceries, please let me know.  Thank you for your time.

hotcouponworld.com      it has tons of info on where to get coupons including coupon clipping services. They also do RAOKs and will help you find all those good coupons and it's totally free.

March 3, 2009, 12:05 pm CST

Libraries

I am surprised when I see these shows about saving money that they rarely ever mention using your public library.  As a children's librarian I can tell you it is a great way to save money.  In addition to books we have tons of DVD's, CD's, videos, videogames, magazines etc.  Many libraries also have passes to local museums, which can save a family a lot of money.  We also have computers available for internet use, including free Wi-Fi.  I honestly can't say when was the last time I paid to rent a DVD.
     Public libraries also offer all kinds of FREE programs for various age groups.  We have weekly storytime programs for young children, game nights and other programs for teens, author visits, book discussion groups and speakers for adults.  During the summer my library (and most other public libraries) has puppeteers, professional storytellers, magicians, animal programs and other fun events that are totally free.  Your taxes pay for the library so you might as well get your money's worth (and since we only get about 1% of your tax dollar you are getting a bargain).

March 3, 2009, 12:32 pm CST

Money Saving

One thing that was left off of the show yesterday that is FREE is our local library.  There are free DVD and VCR rentals, CD's, books on tape, and on CD's.  There are many free classes also at the library.  Check out your local library.

Now to the gentleman with the coupon problem, there are lots of websites that have coupons, most are from the products themselves, all you need is to print them.  Have no computer, then go to the library.

Also check out http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/03/0311_040311_idesmarch.html for free samples and coupons.  There are lots of newsletters to sign up for national products that include coupons.  Also start a coupon exchange in your area, maybe at your library.

Another solution is to network with your friends that get magazines, see if they will share some of the coupons with you that they don't use. 

And one more area not mentioned yesterday is a lot of grocery stores have marked down and discontinued items for a fraction of the original price.  I am able to try items that I normally could not afford, such as a pound of designer coffee for fifty cents.

There are many ways to save pennies, and I enjoyed the show yesterday.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next | Last