Message Boards

Topic : 03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 39
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:29:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you're suffering through the difficult economic times and looking for ways to save money, get out your pen and paper and start taking notes! Dr. Phil's guests offer real tips to help you save money on clothes, utilities and vacations. Plus, learn how to cut your grocery bill in half and how to entertain your family on the cheap. The Economides family has mastered the art of spending less. They say they have the secret to living on $44,000 a year, even with five children. You might be surprised how easy it is to implement their frugal ways of living. See how far they can stretch $100 at the grocery store and how they expand their family wardrobe on just $75. Then, Daniel and Mandy say they keep blowing their budget and need help reining in their spending. They've separated twice because of money issues and have even filed for bankruptcy. How should they realign their lifestyle? And, Ashley is a stay-at-home mom who says she's been able to slash her grocery bills by more than half. Learn how she does it and how you can too! Plus, find out how you can win a $1,000 Shell gas card. Don't miss these amazing tips and tricks to live on less that will put money in your pocket! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 3, 2009, 1:02 pm CST

03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: seakayaklady

I've always been under the impression that thrift stores are for those who are less fortunate than most of us.  I felt badly when an engineer I worked with was strutting about in a London Fog overcoat that he bought at Goodwill for $7.00.  What if a homeless man was collecting bottles & cans to save up to buy that coat?  The engineer, who could afford to buy a brand new coat, deprived someone less fortunate.  I also think that the kind person who donated it to Goodwill anticipated it would go to someone in need. 

I donate the items I no longer to a local homeless shelter.  It was like Christmas when they helped me unload the car. 

How do you know he could afford it?  Does he let you look at his bank accounts?  First of all, a lot of the proceeds from the sales of items go to help the homeless and less fortunate.  Also, there are food pantries and shelters, like you said, that get clothes donated.  Thrift stores get a gluttony of items for everyone to purchase and enjoy -- believe me, much more than they could sell just to the "less fortunate." That engineer was being frugal.  You said he was strutting around.  He was proud that could get almost the same thing that some other Joe wasted $100 + on.  And maybe the difference in the price of his coat will go toward his future or kids' future or what if he's donating more to charities or his church because he has more money in his pocket?  You just don't know.  Shame on you for judging. 

March 3, 2009, 1:59 pm CST

I've always been under the impression that thrift stores are for those who are less fortunate than most of us.  I felt badly when an engineer I worked with was strutting about in a London Fog overcoat that he bought at Goodwill for $7.00.  What if a homeless man was collecting bottles & cans to save up to buy that coat?  The engineer, who could afford to buy a brand new coat, deprived someone less fortunate.  I also think that the kind person who donated it to Goodwill anticipated it would go to someone in need. 

I donate the items I no longer to a local homeless shelter.  It was like Christmas when they helped me unload the car. 

If I donate clothing to Goodwill or Salvation Army, I expect them to sell them for money to run their programs / ministries. if some guy is clever enough to buy a good coat used.....yay him. If I'm not mistaken (having @ one time been in a shelter and since volunteering @ shelters, homeless people often can get vouchers from such places for clothing. (at least in my area) Not to mention "The Sally" does a yearlyl coat drive for the less fortunate.

March 4, 2009, 6:07 am CST

Quote From: jejsmuz

How do you know he could afford it?  Does he let you look at his bank accounts?  First of all, a lot of the proceeds from the sales of items go to help the homeless and less fortunate.  Also, there are food pantries and shelters, like you said, that get clothes donated.  Thrift stores get a gluttony of items for everyone to purchase and enjoy -- believe me, much more than they could sell just to the "less fortunate." That engineer was being frugal.  You said he was strutting around.  He was proud that could get almost the same thing that some other Joe wasted $100 + on.  And maybe the difference in the price of his coat will go toward his future or kids' future or what if he's donating more to charities or his church because he has more money in his pocket?  You just don't know.  Shame on you for judging. 
 I didn't think I was judging him; I said that I felt badly for those who were less fortunate than him.  Sorry for the miscommunication. 

March 4, 2009, 8:41 am CST

Paradox of thrift

I didn't think I was judging him; I said that I felt badly for those who were less fortunate than him.  Sorry for the miscommunication. 

"The paradox of thrift (or Paradox of Saving) is a paradox of economics propounded by John Maynard Keynes. The paradox states that if everyone saves more money during times of recession, then aggregate demand will fall and will in turn lower total savings in the population because of the decrease in consumption and economic growth."

Saving causes the exact opposite outcome of what it seems it should. No need for  apology.

March 5, 2009, 2:16 pm CST

Quote From: faeryedark

Ummm... not  be rude but take 'em home and wash them. Cause ya know those "new clothes" you buy may very well have been worn and returned OR tried on (and some people go commando) So, really it wouldn't be any different.

I buy most of my things used and have a very nice selection of higher end stuff, that I've been complemented on.

I never pay full price, why should I?

I just bought two sweaters and two knit tops at Goodwill this afternoon. And, a green coat with dyed-to-match fake fur trim my husband suggested. All for under $30!

March 5, 2009, 4:21 pm CST

employement help

Hello,

My name is Jerry Cornett; I’m a 44 year old man, I have 24 years experience in the floor covering business. I’m healthy, strong well spoken and ready to work. I have a family 3 kids and a wife. I’m not looking for a handout. I just want an opportunity to work.I is very good at working with my hands, as well as a good speaker, great with customers. People trust me and admire me. I have references. I am willing and can do almost anything. Please hire me or help me find work. I will not go on welfare or accept government help. Not as I’m willing, ready, and able. I’m a good man I just need a break.

Sincerely Thanks,

Jerry Cornett

7629 B St. Apt A

Chesapeake Beach,

Md. 20732

CELL- 703-863-4067

HOME-410-286-0739               E-MAIL- cornett.flooring@comcast.net

March 9, 2009, 8:21 am CDT

Quote From: jejsmuz

When Goodwill or Salvation Army "stores" have something I can use, why not buy it from them, knowing the proceeds will help my fellow Americans? Rather than buy some over-priced, brand new Chinese-made item to "lift someone in China out of poverty" at the cost of American jobs? Current trade policies are impoverishing too many of my fellow Americans.

March 9, 2009, 8:57 am CDT

Quote From: reeldiva

Why do they make it so difficult to download coupons on line. I go to the sites that have multiple coupons and it's never anything I use. I go the products site and it never works. The ones that have the merchandise I want, wants me to pay for them mailing me the COUPONS!

Its' live the old business joke...

My card / your card - the only one making any money is the printer!

I've never tried to download on-line coupons. I don't have my own Internet. I use it at my local library. Where printing costs 15 cents a page. So, these coupons would cost me 15 to 60% of their face value.
Also, those Sunday newspapers that now cost at least $1.75 don't have nearly the coupons they had ten years ago. And, none of their coupons are for anything I use. They're all for high fructose corn syrup-loaded junk food, especially cereals. And, most coupons require you to buy two of this crap.
Store coupons are rarely any better. My grocery store tracks my purchases by the "loyalty" card I use. And, when I scan it, the register will sometimes print out coupons. Occasionally, the coupon will be for something already in my cart. So, I can use it right away.
But, most of these coupons are still of no use to me.
Even though I quit buying Yoplait yogurt, because it's "sweetened" with high fructose corn syrup, long before I started using my "loyalty" card, and, therefore, my grocery store has no record of me ever buying any, when I've scanned a carton of non-Yoplait, organic yogurt, the register would print out a damn Yoplait coupon. Which I would immediately tear up and drop in the cashier's trash-can.

April 3, 2009, 1:14 pm CDT

Quote From: corkyand

Today, Mar 2, saw "Cheapest Family in America". Like most of your shows I've seen, the voiceover has a problem. During the supermarket trip. the cacophony in the background was so loud it made understanding the spoken word difficult to understand. Which is more important the words or the background noise?

KL Anderson

That's my problem with a lot of footage filmed in public places. That's what I don't like about those Good Morning America, The Early Show, and The Today Show outside-the-studio shots. I can't hear the crew because they're being drowned out by the attention-seeking crowd gathered outside. Since there isn't much they can do with their live-broadcast outdoor footage, I usually mute it. But, the background noise could be edited out of anything shot for the Dr Phil show. Or, dialed down so it doesn't compete with the voice-over.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next Page | Last Page