Message Boards

Topic : 03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 39
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:29:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you're suffering through the difficult economic times and looking for ways to save money, get out your pen and paper and start taking notes! Dr. Phil's guests offer real tips to help you save money on clothes, utilities and vacations. Plus, learn how to cut your grocery bill in half and how to entertain your family on the cheap. The Economides family has mastered the art of spending less. They say they have the secret to living on $44,000 a year, even with five children. You might be surprised how easy it is to implement their frugal ways of living. See how far they can stretch $100 at the grocery store and how they expand their family wardrobe on just $75. Then, Daniel and Mandy say they keep blowing their budget and need help reining in their spending. They've separated twice because of money issues and have even filed for bankruptcy. How should they realign their lifestyle? And, Ashley is a stay-at-home mom who says she's been able to slash her grocery bills by more than half. Learn how she does it and how you can too! Plus, find out how you can win a $1,000 Shell gas card. Don't miss these amazing tips and tricks to live on less that will put money in your pocket! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 27, 2009, 10:21 am CST

Doctor Phil Show.

And Doctor Money Phil/Robin Saving Tips Tricks. Money is Money Doctor Phil. I love to have money. See y--

ou on March Monday  02nd, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------

February 28, 2009, 10:00 am CST

03/02 Money Saving Tips and Tricks

While I've got the money to shop at high-end department stores, I would some to live on in my remaining 30 to 40 years of life. I shop at the mass discount and Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. As for groceries, I only use coupons for something I'm actually going to eat. The giant "economy" size usually spoils or goes stale before I can finish it. And, it's usually that "low response cost, low yield sugar, transfat, preservative-filled junk Dr Phil recommends we avoid eating. I might pay a little more for healthy food today. But, I'm saving on tomorrow's doctor bills.

March 1, 2009, 8:01 am CST

cookbook recommendation for a budget

"More-with-less" Cookbook is a fantastic cookbook for people on a tight budget.  The author, Doris Janzen Longacre was a Mennonite and collected money saving recipes from the Mennonite community plus a lot of suggestions to stretch your food budget.  This book was  published in 1976 as a response to world food needs.  I guess you would say this book was a pioneer in the "green movement". 

The mission of this excellent cookbook can be summed up by what is said on it's cover:  "suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources".

I use recipes from this book often and have found the recipes very good yet inexpensive.

I do not know if it is still in print, but if enough people were to contact the publishers they may decide to reprint this cookbook.  If you are interested:

"More-with-Less Cookbook", Longacre, Doris Janzen.  Herald Press.  Scottdale, Pennsylvania (1976).

March 2, 2009, 11:15 am CST

voiceover

Today, Mar 2, saw "Cheapest Family in America". Like most of your shows I've seen, the voiceover has a problem. During the supermarket trip. the cacophony in the background was so loud it made understanding the spoken word difficult to understand. Which is more important the words or the background noise?

KL Anderson

March 2, 2009, 12:24 pm CST

Thrift Stores

I have a big problem wearing other people's clothes. Shoes really bothers me. You don't know what the people are like that had the clothes previously. It kind of grosses me out. I could never buy them for me or my family. I wish I could and I know it is a great but I would rather cut corners somewhere else.

March 2, 2009, 1:14 pm CST

Quote From: ramair

While I've got the money to shop at high-end department stores, I would some to live on in my remaining 30 to 40 years of life. I shop at the mass discount and Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. As for groceries, I only use coupons for something I'm actually going to eat. The giant "economy" size usually spoils or goes stale before I can finish it. And, it's usually that "low response cost, low yield sugar, transfat, preservative-filled junk Dr Phil recommends we avoid eating. I might pay a little more for healthy food today. But, I'm saving on tomorrow's doctor bills.

Not  always so. I'm a mega stockpiler and I've gotten lots of whole grain pastas and brown rice, and scads of frozen veggies for free w/ coupons. Also, if you e-mail companies you can often get really good coupons for their products (even organics)

i also never have to pay for toothpaste, toilet paper, dish liquid, soap, deoderant,shampoo, conditioner. etc. because of shopping sale and using coupons and stockpiling. If you use the FIFO system, you should be fine.

One site I suggest is hotcouponworld.com It's free and you can learn so much. I routinely save 75% or more on my groceries and HBA (before rebates)

March 2, 2009, 1:19 pm CST

Quote From: misa1011

I have a big problem wearing other people's clothes. Shoes really bothers me. You don't know what the people are like that had the clothes previously. It kind of grosses me out. I could never buy them for me or my family. I wish I could and I know it is a great but I would rather cut corners somewhere else.

Ummm... not  be rude but take 'em home and wash them. Cause ya know those "new clothes" you buy may very well have been worn and returned OR tried on (and some people go commando) So, really it wouldn't be any different.

I buy most of my things used and have a very nice selection of higher end stuff, that I've been complemented on.

I never pay full price, why should I?

March 2, 2009, 2:39 pm CST

Smart Living

It is not about being cheap. It is about being smart. A show like todays should have been airing for years on a regular basis. I am an infrequent blogger but when the topic of money comes up you can bet I like to blog. I share my money management tips with others in a money management class held at a local college. I also work with people on an  individual basis. Dr. Phil hit the nail on the head today. For MANY people this is about ego and not about the math and or money. No I am not talking about those who have lost jobs in this country. They are the ones who need help and we should all be there for them. For the majority of people I educate it is about ego and liking the POSITIVES to DEBT. Dr. Phil always says we get a reward (s)from all behavior. Yes being in debt has HUGE rewards. My last class listed 75 positives to debt once they learned the concept.  Positives to debt  mean the newer car, spontaneous and fun vacations, not saying no to kids(HUGE ONE) not taking time to clip the coupons etc... It also means looking at your self worth. Can you feel totally awesome in a slightly used $2.00 top???? Can you drive a old car and feel great?????? Can you say no to all the things society has made look so great.?Now my husband makes an ok income but due to our high self worth I get to be home and enjoy a brand new beautiful home on 40 acres of land. How????? Hubby drives a $400 car. Yes we have one nicer 1999 Yukon but for gas it is the Honda Civic at $400 One product in the shower that shaves, washes hair/skin, conditions hair/skin etc... This is a $1.00 product.  Never, ever more than $1 on personal care items. NEVER.Clothing never more than $3.00  NO CABLE or high speed net. No furnishings in the home for more than $10.00 NEVER. Food at $30.00 a week.  Hair or nails never more than $5 Yet there are trips, outings, meals out, snowmobiling, 4 wheeling etc... I must say how WONDERFUL it is that today when I get asked to those purse parties or to buy the expensive products at salons I don't feel so disrespected when I say"No are you Nuts" The rewards to being smart are unreal. When they showed the list of items that one should never pay full price for I thought"Hey I never pay more than a $1.00 for any of those"  Final Thought-I know that this does not work for all people and that is good. If we all shopped like I do the economy would seriously suffer even more. What would happen to the designer stores, car dealerships, restaurants in America had to rely on the Thrifty Americans. That would truly bring so many business environments down to zero. Any thoughts on that other thrifty people??????

March 2, 2009, 2:44 pm CST

live cheap

Darrin Forderer

From North Dakota, I live cheap so I can retire young, you have to have the necessities, but I bought a whole outfit,(dress coat, pants, and shirt for $3.00) why do you think some people are millionaires. I live on 1200 per month, and still drive a 1990 buick, it is tough but you can live below your means.

March 2, 2009, 3:07 pm CST

Coupon Link

Dr. Phil on the show today you had Ashley talk about her coupon saving. I did not get the link for her. Would it be possible for someone to give it to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and look forward to more on this idea in the future.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last