Message Boards

Topic : 07/24 One Mistake Away from Jail

Number of Replies: 40
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 27, 2009, 02:14:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/05/09) Truancy, vandalism and drinking alcohol may seem exciting to some kids, but these actions can have severe consequences. Warren Messner found out the hard way, and his shocking story made headlines. In 2005, 15-year-old Warren and his friends were smoking marijuana and drinking in the woods when they happened upon an unsuspecting homeless man. What happened next was unthinkable and landed the teen in jail for 22 years. Dr. Phil cameras go inside a maximum security prison for the first televised sit-down interview with Warren, now 18. Learn what he says motivated him to commit a heinous crime. Then, his mom, Lori, joins Dr. Phil to talk about the warning signs she missed. What does she say she regrets the most? Next, 16-year-old Chris felt high school was a waste of his time, so he dropped out. His mother, Kerry, and stepmother, Lisa, say they're at their wits' end trying to cope with his aggressive ways. They say he assaulted them and stole their money, and they just discovered that he smokes marijuana. Is it too late for the teen to change? And, Janene says her 19-year-old son, Brett, has a bright future, but she fears that his drinking and driving could ruin his life -- or someone else’s. Brett already has two DUIs and crashed three cars but says he’s just being a normal teen. Dr. Phil urges these two young men to spend a day at San Quentin, one of the country’s oldest and most notorious prisons, as part of a program to deter them from a life of crime. Will Chris and Brett accept the challenge? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 27, 2009, 3:46 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Away Doctor From Jail Mis One Part Phil Teen. I cannot hardley wait for Part Two on Friday aswell. See------

you on Thursday March 05th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------------------

March 5, 2009, 6:24 am CST

Just Curious

Quote From: hpmx59

Away Doctor From Jail Mis One Part Phil Teen. I cannot hardley wait for Part Two on Friday aswell. See------

you on Thursday March 05th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------------------

Im curious why these type show seem to always portray caucasian people who feel unjustly prosecution regarding the legal system.  African Americans have been experiencing this for years, but without shows to delve into the unjust legal matters pertaining to African Americans.  Why isn't more said about this matter?

March 5, 2009, 12:56 pm CST

On the other hand...

Regarding Warren's mother. Dr. Phil you came accross as if you were an angry citizen instead of a parent. This mother is hurting. I have been very close to the corrections system in the state which I live for the past 4 years. These men and boys need something other than punishment in their lives. Warren's sister is right, this young man will not be able to function in society when his sentence is completed. It is a revolving door for the people who do not want to better their lives, however the help and resources should be available to anyone willing to take advantage. Just a little more compassion towards HER situation, not her son's, would have been appropriate.

March 5, 2009, 1:00 pm CST

Ridiculous

I just want to say that the 19 year old on today's show was smug, I think you could talk to him all day long and it is going in one ear and out the other. I have an 18 year and they think they know everything and adults are stupid. I hope Dr. Phil that his trip to prison does help him but after seeing his facial expressions as you spoke to him I don't think he cares. That is sad.

March 5, 2009, 1:25 pm CST

03/05 One Mistake Away from Jail

In October 1995 I became a first time grandmother to a healthy, happy bouncing baby girl. Her name was Brianna. In November 1995 when Brianna was a fill 5 weeks old, Brianna's mother, a special friend and Brianna were all killed by a 19 year old drunk driver. This 19 year old was in college, in the prime of his life. He was having a good time.  On that day he made so many people and families pay the ultimate price for his good time. He did go to prison. During court he never showed any remorse. All I want is 15 minutes with these kids to give them a wake up call. If I can save one of them from going to prison her death will not be a total waste. My son, Brianna's Father is now remarrried after suffering alone for 10 years. He now has one son who is drop dead handsome. My son and his wife are also foster parents to 5 beautiful girls.  It's been a horribly rough road and I'm sure the road ahead isn't paved with silk either but we will deal with our situation and the children's situation. Life does go on no matter what path the teens decide to take but if they take the wrong path, it goes on without them, while they are sitting in a jail cell.

March 5, 2009, 1:58 pm CST

He is pairing these guys up with the wrong people

I would like to see these boys sit in that cage with parents who have lost children to drunk drivers.  See if a little rage in their faces would get through.  Maybe invite the couple in Arlington Texas who has a 2 year old laying in a coma with 75% of his brian destroyed by a habitual drunk driver.  And their faith will not let them turn off his machines. 

Maybe throw in a few people who are mamed by drunk drivers.    Best yet.  How about you have both of they spent a couple of days as nurses to children or people who are permanently handicapped by a drunk driver.  Lets see them change adult diapers, feed these people, have to see the pain involved.  See if any of that would wipe the smirks off their faces. 

March 5, 2009, 2:05 pm CST

The Other Side of the Coin

Dear Dr. Phil,

It struck me that the three young men on the show today were all Caucasian.  There are just as many or more Black young men who have similar histories and who have not avoided the Criminal Justice system.  Many more of them have not escaped as these three youngsters have.  This is a clear indication of the dicotomy in our country. It also indicates that we are missing  the point with the messages we are sending our children.  How did we get to the place where we no longer feel responsible for shaping our children's futures?  I don't believe that "peer pressure" is stronger than parental guidance.  I am not saying that no one will ever stray or become curious, but the attitude of the three young men on the show today screamed  a lack of remorse, or contact with reality.   

March 5, 2009, 2:08 pm CST

Teens

Hi , I have a son that is now 21 years old . I have gone thru all this with my son , as far as the jail time , doing the drugs , selling drugs and gangs , drinking , driving while drinking , rebelious , angry . I know what these parents are going thru . Thank God my son has turned his life around and is no longer in the streets or in a gang actively , I have gone thru him trying to take his life and that is a hard pill to swallow as a parent :( I pray that these kids do wake up before there 6 ft under or behind bars and I used to tell my son that , that is all the streets is going to give you is a graveyard of the pententary ! He listens now and is doing something with his life . ..... My advice to these kids is to take the help before its to late! My greatest fear as a parent when my son was out there was getting that phone call at 2:00 am which I did alot of times but not to tell me that my son was found shot to death in an alley somewhere ,or that he was in trouble with the law , so deep that he couldn't get out .....So I have been where these parents are now. Dont give up on them and keep the faith and if there is help offered take it , by all means ! God bless you all and Good Luck !    Guys you need to wake up and change before its to late for real !

March 5, 2009, 2:09 pm CST

Something needs to be done about DWI's in Texas

I hope the young man with DWI's can speak to some families who have been impacted by DWI deaths. We know a young man who died innocently at the hands of a person behind the wheel who was intoxicated. The state of Texas leads the country in the highest number of DWI deaths, and the city of Houston also leads with the highest number of DWI deaths. There are many repeat offenders on the road. These people are given a slap on the hand only to be released again. I am not just talking about teens behind the wheel. These are people of all ages. To make matters worse this young man's Mother's cancer was in remission until her son was killed. She had been responding well before to meds but this time it did no good. She died last month. Now, there are only 2 left in that family. A young daughter and her Daddy. That drunk driver really took 2 lives. It still hasn't gone before the courts and it has been over a year. Dr. Phil, if anyone can change things, it is you. To get the message out that if you are going to drink please don't drive. And if you are going to drive please don't drink. Also this young man's girlfriend survived with a skull fracture. They wanted to get married when they finished college. Please Dr. Phil can you do something to change this broken system?

March 5, 2009, 2:12 pm CST

Young people Drinking and Driving

I am writing to discuss Dr. Phil's show regarding young people - drinking & driving.  I felt the show was one that is very necessary in today's environment.  Especially as spring is coming, spring proms, spring break, summer out of school parties, etc.  There is one other aspect to this I would like to share and hope that other than behind bars, Dr. Phil might high light other aspects of drinking and driving, such as my son's situation. 

He had just finished his first year at Purdue University and was home for the summer.  He was working, and taking a summer class.  He had gone to a party, where I might add, adult supervised, and alcohol was being served.  His girlfriend was there with another guy, he was very upset, and began drinking - he left intoxicated, did not have a seat belt on, rolled his care and was ejected 25 feet onto the road. 

He acquired a TBI - this was in 2001 - since that time he has been in some kind of rehabilitation - trying to recoop as much of the old person that once was. 

I feel that if these young men who think, "this could not happen to me" could see the rehab., the loss of dreams, the loss of education, the battle and fight to regain as much of the old self as possible, they might see it differently.  My son and I have been talking to audiences - sharing his story and hoping if we get my person to think before they drink and drive !!! 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last