Message Boards

Topic : 07/27 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Number of Replies: 80
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 27, 2009, 02:15:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/06/09) Parents: How do you sound an alarm when your out-of-control teenager thinks he or she is invincible? When 16-year-old Chris and 19-year-old Brett last appeared on the show they said they were just acting like normal teens — drinking, smoking marijuana and vandalizing property. They say jail is a joke, but they find out that life behind bars is no laughing matter. At Dr. Phil's request, they participate in San Quentin State Prison’s S.Q.U.I.R.E.S. program, which deters juvenile delinquency. Dr. Phil cameras follow the young men as they enter prison for the first time. How do they react when they face-off with convicted murderers? Then, Brett opens up to the prisoners about his life. Find out what happens when the men try to get him to address a childhood memory. And, what’s really behind Chris’ poor choices and his anger? The answer might surprise you. Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2009, 1:07 pm CST

Teens wake-up call

I watched your show yesterday March 6th, 09. As I listened to the different comments, I thought about a very similar thing that happened with me and my son many years ago. In 1983, I lived in the DFW area ... a single parent with little or no control over my teen aged son. I had been an investigator for the US Air Force for several years, so it was pretty easy for me to see the direction that things were going to go for him. I tried to convince him that he would ruin the rest of his life if he didn't turn things around. Nothing I did worked. To make a long story short, he celebrated his 17th and 18th birthdays in prison. He had a juvenile record before I got custody of him after my ex-wife died, and had been in a little trouble after he came to live with me.
The trend that he established then laid out the route for the rest of his life. He is now 41 years old and still has an ex-con attitude. He can occasionally get something going in a positive direction, but it never lasts. He doesn't have a good work ethic, so he can't ... or won't hold a job. I suspect that he still uses drugs to this day.
What I am getting at is if there is some way to show these teens that they are laying the groundwork for the rest of their lives right now. It will be much easier for them to change now than later. I like the idea of visiting a prison to see what it is like in there. Maybe that will help some of them.

March 6, 2009, 1:25 pm CST

Bret

I am a 55 year old mother of three adult children, who, God bless have never been in trouble with the law. After watching your show today I have never been more compelled to write in about the young man, Bret. I would like to wipe that cocky smurk off his face, I do not believe for one moment that he has learned anything from his visit to San Quinton prison, and nor will  he until he ends up in prison and I am quite convinced that he will eventually get there, and I pray to God that it is not at the expense of someone's life. It is sad to see someone of his age have this kind of attitude to life, which is so precious, I feel for his mother, but have to feel that she has in a way helped him get to where he is, and that is sad. I have a zero tollerence for drinking and driving and my whole family know how I feel on this. Thank you Dr. Phil for airing this show, and I pray that if it doesn't help Bret, it will at least help other viewers of your show. God Bless. Gillian Lightbown, Canada

March 6, 2009, 1:28 pm CST

Brett Needs Help

I was watching the show on 3/6/09. It makes me angry to think that Brett doesn't have a clue to the damage

he's going to cause somebody someday.By the look on his face,he thinks the discussions are big joke.

I'm handicapped for the rest of my lie.There's no going back for me.It was due to an automoile accident when I was 7 years old.I'm now 34,raising a family and enjoying every moment of it.

Brett needs to wise up before he ruins someone's life or his own. Drinking and Driving is very serious.It ruins lives and hurts for a lifetime.

I plead with Brett to get help for whoever will help you.You need it in a big way.Stop acting like a big jerk.

Life is precious.I don't take a minute of it for granted.I love my life and want to be here for a while.

There so much more ,Brett you can do with your life if you wise up and accept that you have a serious proble.GET HELP,NOW,PLEASE.  DON'T HURT ANYONE!

March 6, 2009, 1:43 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

This show is scaring the crap out of me for my son that will be 18 next mo.  He has the same attitude as the blond kid on the show.  We sent him to a 6 mo boot camp that did make a difference when he first got out.  I sent my son a text to ask him to watch the show & he said he was to busy making a new CD.  He has no drive or ambition. 

March 6, 2009, 1:55 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Quote From: earlgood

I watched your show yesterday March 6th, 09. As I listened to the different comments, I thought about a very similar thing that happened with me and my son many years ago. In 1983, I lived in the DFW area ... a single parent with little or no control over my teen aged son. I had been an investigator for the US Air Force for several years, so it was pretty easy for me to see the direction that things were going to go for him. I tried to convince him that he would ruin the rest of his life if he didn't turn things around. Nothing I did worked. To make a long story short, he celebrated his 17th and 18th birthdays in prison. He had a juvenile record before I got custody of him after my ex-wife died, and had been in a little trouble after he came to live with me.
The trend that he established then laid out the route for the rest of his life. He is now 41 years old and still has an ex-con attitude. He can occasionally get something going in a positive direction, but it never lasts. He doesn't have a good work ethic, so he can't ... or won't hold a job. I suspect that he still uses drugs to this day.
What I am getting at is if there is some way to show these teens that they are laying the groundwork for the rest of their lives right now. It will be much easier for them to change now than later. I like the idea of visiting a prison to see what it is like in there. Maybe that will help some of them.

I am a single mom now after the kids dad passed away in Sept of 07.  He has no fear or respect that much for authority.  He did go to boot camp for 6 mo after being expelled from high school, which helped for a short while when he came home.  He turns 18 next mo & I just want to shake him & say what are you doing with your life.  I am going to email him what you wrote about your son.

March 6, 2009, 2:07 pm CST

Take the advice--Heed the warning

Thie show at San Quentin could be beneficial, if there is a cooperative response. Quite some years ago there was a movie program, I believe on PBS.

"Scared Strait" --interaction  between inmates, who gave a warning, a wakeup call. It was very graphic, startling. Very real . The boy, suited up, seems to think he is above it all. His sneer shows his need for education. Certainly, life has consequences--stupid is no excuse. Turn the page and there is still a chance. Effort. Discipline. Hard work. Education comes with change. Life is a gift, a chance to learn to help oneself, to grow, become able to share with others, a quality reponse to life. How sad it would be if they never know the joys and benefits of relationship.

When a young man is offered advice, they must listen and accept that have done wrong, and try to affect change in their life. Stand up like a man.It is obvious these young men know better, but they are too proud to admit it.

March 6, 2009, 2:13 pm CST

my brother was just like Brett & is now in jail

Brett thinks he is invincible and has no interest in changing his ways. My brother was a cocky s.o.b. just like him and he is now in prison. I hope Brett learns his lesson before he kills someone, but I don't have much hope.

March 6, 2009, 2:13 pm CST

I lost 6 friends within a year of eachother. I hope these two boys will learn in time.

I am 20 years old. I hund out with teens that acted the same way as Brett does. Now In the past 2 years let a lone I have lost 6 friends due to Drinking and driving. They thought they were invincible to. They thought nothing would keep them down. This is the result that me and my friends have to go through today, because of my friends that decided to drink and drive. Four of my friends had gotten into a horrific car crash one a very windy road in the early mornings of November 4 2007. Then almost exactly a year later two more of my friends (also hung out with those 4 boys) got into a car crash on November 3 2008. I think God is really trying to tell this community something about drinking and driving. 6 boys that all hung out with the same group of friends all die within a year of eachother. pretty ironic. It really scares me that these two boys on the show don't understand the reality of life. Your not invincible. God has a plan. Either way his plan will rule out all others. I just hope its not too late for you boys to turn yourselves around.

March 6, 2009, 2:14 pm CST

Teen Wake Up Call

I just watched today's show and I pray that Brett's probation officer goes and picks him up immediately.  My family knows what it is like to lose a teen to drunk driving.  My 17 year old cousin was drunk in a car with 3 more teen all drunk and she was thrown through the windshield.  She was the only one that died but two others were seriously injured.  Tiffany's mother, sister and brothers along with her son Cameron that was only 3 months old at the time of this tragedy miss her every minute of every day that goes by.  This young man is not going to stop until he has help.  His attitude and facial expressions made me horrified to even know that he was going to be free to go party and that is exactly what he will be doing. 

March 6, 2009, 2:19 pm CST

Chris CLEARLY does not get it!!!

He really came just short of laughing in your face.  I have NEVER written in to any show but i was so angry at  his cocky attitude I could not help myself.  If I were the father of that baby boy I would have gone back on stage at the end of the show and taken back my childs picture.  I would not want Chris to hold my childs picture .  He clearly has no respect for anyone.  I hope he is as cool  inside  prison as he thinks he is outside of prison . May God bless his Mother I have a feeling she is in for a lifetime of heartache.  Maybe you can do a follow up with Chris when he gets out of prison the first time.  We all know that is where he is headed if he doesn't WAKE  the "F" up!!!  Yes that part really made me mad!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last