Message Boards

Topic : 07/27 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Number of Replies: 80
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 27, 2009, 02:15:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/06/09) Parents: How do you sound an alarm when your out-of-control teenager thinks he or she is invincible? When 16-year-old Chris and 19-year-old Brett last appeared on the show they said they were just acting like normal teens — drinking, smoking marijuana and vandalizing property. They say jail is a joke, but they find out that life behind bars is no laughing matter. At Dr. Phil's request, they participate in San Quentin State Prison’s S.Q.U.I.R.E.S. program, which deters juvenile delinquency. Dr. Phil cameras follow the young men as they enter prison for the first time. How do they react when they face-off with convicted murderers? Then, Brett opens up to the prisoners about his life. Find out what happens when the men try to get him to address a childhood memory. And, what’s really behind Chris’ poor choices and his anger? The answer might surprise you. Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2009, 2:32 pm CST

A Smug Attitude - Damaged Soul

After watching this program today, I'm terribly sad for Brett and his family.  This young man is so incredibly smug.  It's almost painful to watch him because it's like watching a slow motion train wreck.  You know the impact is coming, but you can do nothing to stop it.   With someone like Brett, you simply cannot make them "get it".  He is convinced he is too smart or maybe just lucky.  He is indifferent to those around him and we are all just blessed to be allowed in his universe.  He lacks (among many things) empathy.  You can't teach empathy.  He could care less about the thousands of people who have lost parents, children, spouses and friends to drunk driving.  He has never felt the pain of losing anyone in that manner because he is incapable of feeling.  I want to feel sorry for him, but all I can think about is the people who are in danger because he will do this again.  He, like so many others feel that his right to get high, drink and have fun takes priority to the rights of others is shameful.  He belives he is entitled to do what he wants regardless of the consequences to others.  I sincerely hope that he wakes up and changes his attitude before he kills or injures someone.  If he doesn't, I hope the sentencing judge reviews all the tapes shown today along with the show and puts him in the same cell with the felon that said, "I'll see you again".  Poetic justice.

March 6, 2009, 2:56 pm CST

Brett doesn't get it

Brett WILL end up in jail just like that convict told him. He will see him again.  Everything he's been exposed to that was meant to wake him up and make him think and change is just a joke to him. Even an infant dying in a car accident didn't get through to him. He is playing at life and will end up losing his. I just hope he doesn't take anyone else with him.

March 6, 2009, 3:08 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

That boy Brett is a sociopath I think!  He shows no true emotion, he's just trying to behave how he thinks we want him to! Even the fact he injured his friend didn't really seem to phase him. I think we're going to hear more about him, and I hope no one has been hurt or killed when we do.

March 6, 2009, 3:12 pm CST

What a Waste

After watching today's show I feel that Chris might actually "get it" and might be able make something of himself.  Brett, on the other hand, is so unbelievably full of himself that he failed to convince anyone, especially hardened criminals in San Quentin, that he may never get it, till it's too late.  Brett is such an articulate & good-looking young man.....too bad he has S...T for brains!  I doubt seriously he'll end up in prison, because I'll bet that he ends up in a morgue.  I just hope he's alone when he goes there & doesn't kill any innocent people along the way. 

March 6, 2009, 3:23 pm CST

Bret

I registered on this website specifically to share my disgust with whomever is interested.  I cannot understand how anyone can get behind the wheel of a car intoxicated, nevermind twice.  I realize that people make mistakes but drinking and driving is hardly a mistake.  Anyone who thinks drinking and driving is a good idea, go to a funeral and watch a mother bury her 19 year old son.

Bret is a complete coward hiding behind an over inflated ego.  He sat there with a smug little smile on his face while discussing his DUIs and it made me want to throw a shoe at the TV.  Bragging about a DUI is so pathetic.   Here's a tip, kid...you're a skinny punk who has been sheltered from the real world and you have absolutely no clue how harsh it really is out there.  Stop trying to look tough.  If you had even the slightest ounce of a backbone, you would have told that inmate that you wanted to hit him, straight to his face, not wait to say it after he walked away.  If you can't back up what you say, don't say it.  If you keep up with this behavior, you will go to prison, you will run your mouth, and you will spend the rest of your life drinking your food out of a straw because you said the wrong things to the wrong person.  Inmates with a life sentence have nothing to lose so shutting you up would be nothing but a pleasure.  And smoking weed?  What are you, a seventh grader?  Good luck finding that wife you want.  No woman worth marrying would tolerate your juvenile behavior.  Good luck taking her on dates on that bicycle you'll have to use to get around.   Think you're so tough?  Go spend a year in Baghdad...I dare you. 

March 6, 2009, 3:35 pm CST

I don't know if hell ever get it until something drastic happens

I have watched so many dr. Phil shows and never have I been sooo disqusted by a quest (Brent). I'm currently going through 2 dui's with my mother. I also feel at times like she doesn't get it. It fustrates me more than anything. Its like playing rusian rullet with other peoples lives. Its not very offten that you hear about a drunk driver being killed. Cause its not often that they are. Its the inocent lives that are killed. And it upsets me that while being up there he showed no remorse for what he did to his friend. I really hope something drastic happens to this kid and he gets a wake up call before anyone's life is taken including his own.

March 6, 2009, 3:40 pm CST

1 mistake away from jail

I can't believe that Brett doesn't seem to get what everyone is trying to tell him. How can he not understand that his actions could be the END of someone's life? How can he not understand that he could kill an innocent person (or even an innocent child) all because he is unwilling to change his behaviour? How can anyone be that selfish.. that childish, to think that their fun is worth more than someone else's life? Chris on the other hand, at least seems to understand that he might end up in jail or even dead if he does't change his ways. I think that the visit to the prision seemed to smarten him up a little bit, and im really glad that it did. I just cannot get over how totally self-centred that Brett is... he's going to end up killing himself or someone else, and that is going to be his wake-up call, but of course it will be too late by then. If only he would listen, he would save so many people alot of heartache and pain.  :(

March 6, 2009, 3:47 pm CST

I think you meant Brett, not Chris

Quote From: irishparent

He really came just short of laughing in your face.  I have NEVER written in to any show but i was so angry at  his cocky attitude I could not help myself.  If I were the father of that baby boy I would have gone back on stage at the end of the show and taken back my childs picture.  I would not want Chris to hold my childs picture .  He clearly has no respect for anyone.  I hope he is as cool  inside  prison as he thinks he is outside of prison . May God bless his Mother I have a feeling she is in for a lifetime of heartache.  Maybe you can do a follow up with Chris when he gets out of prison the first time.  We all know that is where he is headed if he doesn't WAKE  the "F" up!!!  Yes that part really made me mad!!!
Hi, im sorry I think you got the names of the kids mixed up. Brett was the overly-cocky one - the one who had the child's picture given to him. Chris was the quieter of the two, he was the one who seemed to "get it" more. Just thought I would try and clear up any of the confusion that might come out of this. (and by the way I completely agree with you)

March 6, 2009, 3:48 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

My husband went to jail for a DWI  and he got his life together and joined the Navy. But who is that little sarcastic kid on there like nothing can get to him or that he is above it all? Not that I wish bad on him but I hope that maybe he spends a few nights in jail with those guys and then see what kinda attitude he comes home with. If I were his mother I would want to slap some sense into him.

March 6, 2009, 3:52 pm CST

ON THE WAY TO JAIL

AFTER SEEING TODAYS SHOW, I AM FRUSTRATED WITH THE YOUNG "CHILD" NAMED BRETT....THIS CHILD IS GOING TO LAND UP IN JAIL...AND VERY SOON....I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY HE IS STILL ON THE STREETS AND NOT IN JAIL ALREADY.  HE HAS OVERSTEPPED HIS BOUNDRIES AND THE POLICE JUST LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS...THEY ARE JUST WAITING FOR HIM TO FIRST KILL SOMEONE BEFORE THEY DO SOMETHING WITH HIM.....HE SHUD BE PUT IN JAIL FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR AND THEN PUT HIM ON PROBATION....DR PHIL I AM A SINGLE MOTHER AND I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS MOM HAS NOT TAKEN MATTERS INTO HER OWN HANDS...IT APPEARS THAT MOMMY DEAREST GIVES THIS "CHILD" EVERYTHING HE WANTS AND LETS HIM DO WHATEVER HE WANTS...WELL I HOPE SHES GETTING READY TO FACE THE JAIL SENTENCE THIS "CHILD" WILL VERY SOON RECEIVE AND THAT SHE WILL PROBABLY AND DESERVINGLY WILL PROBABLY NEED TO PAWN ALL HER GOODS AND HER HOME TO TRY TO KEEP HIM OUT OF JAIL.....TO BAD DR PHIL THAT YOU WASTED YOUR TIME ON THIS CHILD'', EVERYONE CAN CLEARLY SEE "HE JUST DOESNT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ANYBODY EXCEPT FOR HIMSELF......HE WILL BE A DEADBEAT IN THE FUTURE...MAYBE HE SHUD HAVE BEEN LEFT IN SAN QUENTIN FOR THE WEEKEND WITHOUT THE CAMERAS.....HE SURELY DESERVES THAT....'BECAUSE HE HAS NOT GOT IT AND WILL NOT GET IT UNTIL HE FINALLY KILLS SOMEONE..... PLEASE DO A FOLLOW UP ON THIS "CHILD" WHEN HE IS IN JAIL....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last