Message Boards

Topic : 07/27 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Number of Replies: 80
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 27, 2009, 02:15:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/06/09) Parents: How do you sound an alarm when your out-of-control teenager thinks he or she is invincible? When 16-year-old Chris and 19-year-old Brett last appeared on the show they said they were just acting like normal teens — drinking, smoking marijuana and vandalizing property. They say jail is a joke, but they find out that life behind bars is no laughing matter. At Dr. Phil's request, they participate in San Quentin State Prison’s S.Q.U.I.R.E.S. program, which deters juvenile delinquency. Dr. Phil cameras follow the young men as they enter prison for the first time. How do they react when they face-off with convicted murderers? Then, Brett opens up to the prisoners about his life. Find out what happens when the men try to get him to address a childhood memory. And, what’s really behind Chris’ poor choices and his anger? The answer might surprise you. Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2009, 3:55 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

• I really don't think Chris gets it and seems very arrogant and selfish. When asked if he had caused any accidents he said only involving himself. WHAT....so the friend you cause to plant his face into your windshield is a nobody? This guy is scary and may kill someone or hurt them very badly.VERY SCARY. I would be frightened to live anywhere near this young man. Better wake up DUDE cause you are headed for prison and that's the truth.

March 6, 2009, 3:59 pm CST

Sorry for the mistake

I meant Brett in my earlier post not Chris. I actually think Chris is getting it and will make an honest effort to change. Again sorry for the confusion.

March 6, 2009, 4:07 pm CST

Brett is like my son

I have a now 20 year old that was getting ready to go off to college.  We had caught him drinking numerous times and he had absolutely no remorse and said that he wasn't as bad as his friends--which may have been true; however, he was an extreme risk taker that we knew would get him into trouble.  I took some of the same steps you did: had him visit with people like him who were in big trouble, had people affected by others' actions talk to him.  Nothing had an impact--just like I saw in Brett.  He continued to state that he wasn't a bad kid--he did after all have straight As.  We worked hard at loving and disciplining while not alienating.  He got drunk one night and did a flip and hit his head so hard he went unconscious.  911 was called and he was taken to the ER on a board with a head injury.  His brother who doesn't drink was there and thought he was dead.  The following week we did nothing but talk about how close he was to paralysis or death.  He FINALLY came to the realization that he was a risk to himself and others and quit drinking before he went to school.  He is a 4.0 college student going into the Air Force.  He has said that the only thing that changed his behavior was that night.  Some kids just don't get it until it impacts them personally.  Brett is one of those kids.

March 6, 2009, 4:23 pm CST

I forgot to say....

Chris could be a spokes person for Teen's. He obviously "GETS IT". I feel he gets it cause he kept his mouth shut, and listened. He could have acted like Brett "to be cool" but didn't appear to do that. I look forward to seeing where this wonderful (quite) young man winds up. As to his 2 Loving mother's, lets see more of this around the world. I have my ex-husband and husband greeting each other every time they see eachother as "honey". My children are thriving!!!!  But when it comes right down to it, we all are co-parents of these (ALL) kids, and I want an address for Brett so I can stay clear of his EVERY move! 

March 6, 2009, 4:46 pm CST

what if your son is a brett?

What now?

March 6, 2009, 5:00 pm CST

Chirs will make something out of himself

I'm worried for the person or persons who are the victim(s) of Brett's actions. He is a punk, thinks he is just IT and is going to cause some serious heartache for families. This guy needs to be slammed into a cell now before he gets the chance to get behind a wheel after he's been drinking. It would save a lot of court time and costs, plus the grief he is going to cause a lot of people. Dr. Phil you did your part and tried to get this kid to see the light. But it just isn't going to happen. I'll tell you, if I was a guard in SQ and a fight broke out with Brett, I'd be turning my back or going to the bathroom to ensure when I returned he was getting a beating he'll never forget. Even a beating wouldn't stop him from his behaviour, it's just the anger in me talking. I feel for his mother who tried to give her son a chance by contacting the show. She will be joining that other young mother who's son is doing 22 years for murder. What a waste of time and effort on your part Dr. Phil not to mention those inmates at SQ who attempted to get through to Brett. Kudos to those guys who told smart a@@ Brett that they'd be doing him if he was in there and even telling him they'll be seeing him in jail.

Chris on the other hand will surely need some intervention and a good role model for him to get back on track and move on to better things. His father is obviously not interested in what happens to his son and shame on him. He helped to bring this young fellow into this world and he should be there to help him through the tough years of a young man's life. This is an important time in Chris' life and I'm going to believe that Dr. Phil will be able to give him some help in finding what it is he needs. If you read the message board Chris or his mom, I hope you know you have a good son there and Chris you WILL make it. You of course will make mistakes along the way but you are truly getting IT. And good on you.

Thanks Dr. Phil for trying.

March 6, 2009, 5:01 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

I want to acknowledge the men from the prison for their honesty and sincerity in trying to help these boys!!

The squires program sounds like it is great idea.    

Sincerely,

Christine

March 6, 2009, 5:02 pm CST

Oh My Gosh

My son would only have the opportunity to get one DUI while living under my roof because after that he would no longer have a car or a driver's license as long as he lived with me.  Then when he moved out, he better be able to get a car on his own!!!!!  I hope Brett doesn't live in my neighborhood because I wouldn't want any of the members of my family to be his next victim.  I really don't think he gets it.

March 6, 2009, 5:16 pm CST

Chris will make it, Brett won't

After watching the show both days it is obvious that Chris will be the one to make it. I hope he reads the posts that support him in his effort to help himself and let him know that there are a lot of us here rooting for him. Brett on the other hand has an ego so big that he thinks he is invincible. He showed nothing but smirks and smart a$$ comments. The only time he wasn't smirking was at the end when he realized that the tape his sister made has now been seen by millions of people including his PO and that's where he is going to learn that he is NOT invincible and he's about to do some time!

Hang in there Chris, I know you can do it! If you can't go back to high school get your GED and start community college or Tech school. Your mom will be there, learn to talk to her. There's a big world out there for you to get to know in a sober and friendly way! Good Luck Chris!!

March 6, 2009, 6:19 pm CST

Brett

After watching both show this young man appears to be a pathological lier. He will have a sad life. His friends will fade away. If he does get married it won't last because he can't be trusted. Providing he lives through his youth.....he may wake up at 50 and end up hating himself for all the pain he has caused and the life he has wasted. Wake up!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last