Message Boards

Topic : 07/27 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Number of Replies: 80
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 27, 2009, 02:15:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/06/09) Parents: How do you sound an alarm when your out-of-control teenager thinks he or she is invincible? When 16-year-old Chris and 19-year-old Brett last appeared on the show they said they were just acting like normal teens — drinking, smoking marijuana and vandalizing property. They say jail is a joke, but they find out that life behind bars is no laughing matter. At Dr. Phil's request, they participate in San Quentin State Prison’s S.Q.U.I.R.E.S. program, which deters juvenile delinquency. Dr. Phil cameras follow the young men as they enter prison for the first time. How do they react when they face-off with convicted murderers? Then, Brett opens up to the prisoners about his life. Find out what happens when the men try to get him to address a childhood memory. And, what’s really behind Chris’ poor choices and his anger? The answer might surprise you. Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2009, 6:23 pm CST

After you've done all you possibly can...

Quote From: kellybelly124

What now?
You let go and let God.  You eat carpet on a daily basis, by that I mean, you fall flat on your face and beg God to have mercy on your son, to protect him, to deliver him from evil (himself), and not to lead him into temptation.  You pray like never before, because there comes a point in life, when you can't do anymore for your "children."  You must let go.  Brett has been shown the ropes, have been spoken to and dear God has been given the pic. of a dead baby at the hands of someone like him.  If he doesn't frame that pic. and carry it from here on... Only God can save him, THROUGH THE PRAYERS OF HIS MOTHER AND  EVERYONE ELSE WHO CARES FOR HIM.

March 6, 2009, 6:26 pm CST

Don't give up so easily...

Maybe Brett got more than some people are giving him credit for.  What I didn't understand was the video his sister took... Was this after he was given the pic. of the dead baby, at the hands of someone like him?  Please tell me not...

March 6, 2009, 6:27 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Quote From: manda_isu

My son would only have the opportunity to get one DUI while living under my roof because after that he would no longer have a car or a driver's license as long as he lived with me.  Then when he moved out, he better be able to get a car on his own!!!!!  I hope Brett doesn't live in my neighborhood because I wouldn't want any of the members of my family to be his next victim.  I really don't think he gets it.

I couldn't agree with you more!

March 6, 2009, 6:36 pm CST

when will chris get it?

It was really sad to see that Brett  just sat there and acted like nothing bothered him. I'm not saying he should have been sobbing like a little girl, but show some kind of emotion... and it was extremely scary to see the look in his eyes at the very end of the show. he just does not get it. God bless him. i can only continue to pray for that young boy, i say boy because he is no where near a man. 

March 6, 2009, 7:55 pm CST

03/06 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Quote From: snow1946

Maybe Brett got more than some people are giving him credit for.  What I didn't understand was the video his sister took... Was this after he was given the pic. of the dead baby, at the hands of someone like him?  Please tell me not...

Unfortunately it was after...pretty scary huh! This young man has no empathy.

March 6, 2009, 9:08 pm CST

drunk drivers

Dear Dr. Phil,

I watched the story about Brett the kid that drive drunk I wanted to go and beat the living daylight out of him. I had such anger and emotions about it, because, I lose 4 cousins and the 5th on was put in a wheel chair for the rest of her life (age 17)  do to a drunk driver with a drunk  driving record a mile plus long. (I am not kidding)  He was driving with out a license (due he loses it to driving drunk). He also killed 4 other people at the same time. He killed a total of 8 people and put the 9th one in a wheelchair (age 17) for the rest of her life.

Here is the story:

It was August 1980, in Lincoln, California out side Sacramento. My cousins age 19, 18, 17, 17, 13 decided to go in town to see a movie. Three were sisters, others two were sisters and all five were cousins.  All five were in one car. In the other car were 4 adults (one was a mother of a 3 month old).

The drunk drivers hit one car and cause it to plow into the other. He fled the scene, a few days later his wife turned him in.  Get this Dr. Phil, he got only 8 years for killing 8 people and putting the 9th in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

And now for the shocker, when he got out of prison he twice (2 times) cause 2 accidents drunk both times. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt. After than, we heard no more.

Dr. Phil, after seeing Brett altitude, and he don’t care and don’t get it. And don’t want to get it, because he thinks he is so smart and that only happens to other people.

This story is I am afraid, is Brett life. Like the drunk driver that killed 8 people and put the 9th in a wheel chair for the rest of her life, got 8 years in prison got out and drive drunk again twice, didn’t get it. That’s Brett.  I am not sad nor feel bad for Brett, I sad and fear for his victims and their families.   

Dr. Phil you can check this out yourself. This was on the TV and newspapers and the reporters were hounding the families and the funerals.  This happen shortly after MADD was organized. My Cousin Pat the mother of two of the girls got heavily involved in MADD. We the other members of the family attended MADD meetings and showed support.

Thank you for letting me sounded off.

Carmen

March 6, 2009, 9:10 pm CST

Brett needs to go to jail today

Brett is 19 going on 12 and needs a real wake up call. What an arrogant, ridiculous excuse for a young man. How dare he continue to drink and party and shout "Dui all day"! after he's already injured his "best friend"  in one DUI and been convicted of another? I hope everybody in his community is calling the court to demand that his probation officer 'violate' him and have him slapped into jail. My best friend was t-boned by a drunk 20 year old driving a large SUV. The girl was so drunk that as she was speeding, she didn't even slow down for a red light. Instead she sped through the intersection and hit my friend's car on the driver's side door. The drunken fool attempted to keep going, but a cop who witnessed the hit and run chased her down and carted her off to jail. My friend spent several days in hospital with back and neck injuries. The drunken driver's parents hid her for 9 months in an attempt to avoid a subpoena. She was located when stopped by police for a t second DUI. For this one, she was driving on a suspended license after leaving a party at her parent's home. (No kidding. Her parents knew she was drunk and let her drive anyway.)Her blood alcohol was 2X the legal limit. Since then, we believe she has gotten a 3rd DUI.

These teenagers and other young adults need to be taken off the street for a long time if they are not going to take responsiblity for themselves. As I often tell clients, if you are not going to exercise appropriate self-control, then society will take control of you through our courts and prisons.

March 6, 2009, 9:26 pm CST

Brett's childhood

Brett's mother stated she had been clean from meth for 5 yrs., & I believe she said she had been on meth for 12 yrs.  So, it appears she was an addict from the time Brett was 2 through 14.  That had to have had a bigger impact on Brett's life than either of them are acknowledging.  He looks vacant behind the eyes.  He doesn't display interest, emotion, anything; he seems disconnected from his own self.  I believe this facade was set early on.  Imagine being a toddler with your mom more concerned about her next fix than about you?  It's no wonder he has hardened his heart.  On another level, he may be unconsciously getting back at her by pursuing the lifestyle he knows she'll hate. 

I don't excuse anything he's done.  I believe he needs the help of a professional to unpack his childhood and reconnect  with himself. 

March 6, 2009, 11:35 pm CST

God Have Mercy on All of Us!

Quote From: snow1946

You let go and let God.  You eat carpet on a daily basis, by that I mean, you fall flat on your face and beg God to have mercy on your son, to protect him, to deliver him from evil (himself), and not to lead him into temptation.  You pray like never before, because there comes a point in life, when you can't do anymore for your "children."  You must let go.  Brett has been shown the ropes, have been spoken to and dear God has been given the pic. of a dead baby at the hands of someone like him.  If he doesn't frame that pic. and carry it from here on... Only God can save him, THROUGH THE PRAYERS OF HIS MOTHER AND  EVERYONE ELSE WHO CARES FOR HIM.

Yes, we all need to continue praying for our loved ones. It is hard to "let go and let God", a twelve step slogan though:

My  30 year old son had a traumatic brain injury 1 year ago. He was the DUI driver and the only one hurt. He has needed more help now more than ever before. Sometimes it feels like I am his only connection and many people don't know how to relate to him. The justice system has been "lenient" only because of his injury but he still has had to struggle with many of their requirements and this will be with him his whole life he realizes. He has resisted some forms of help though and believes only he can heal his brain, which his neurologist agreed with. It's frustrating because the agency that was "working with him" misrepresented themselves and said they had programs to address "substance abuse" which they don't. Now this year has gone by and he just wants to be done with them and still hasn't really gotten help. I see a pattern through his life of other injuries that contributed to his situation now and feel helpless even with prayers.

Maybe it would help Brett to also to visit a rehab center for brain injury people if all the guilt trips about what he might do to someone else doesn't work and he might identify with what damage he could do to himself. I hope that harming himself his "goal" though.

March 7, 2009, 4:39 am CST

Brett is a sociopath

Brett is a sociopath.  He is an narcissist and a punk.  He feels absolutely entitled to whatever he wants to do to whomever he wants to do it.  He will be in trouble again, guaranteed.  He is a product of very poor parenting where he always figured out a way to get what he wanted.  His mom caved in and was an enabler.  She is to be blamed for him too.  Brett is no victim.  He will find out that he will be held accountable for his actions.  Hopefully, he won't harm someone else in the process.  I believe he has a toxic mind and that he is at least partially pickeled.  I had a brother that was brought up like Brett.  He was indulged at every hand.  He used his looks (as Brett does) as a weapon and a currency.  My brother has harmed many people and ruined lives wherever he goes.  Brett is a younger version of my brother.

Dr. Phil is right, he doesn't 'get it.'

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last