Message Boards

Topic : 07/27 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Number of Replies: 80
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 27, 2009, 02:15:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/06/09) Parents: How do you sound an alarm when your out-of-control teenager thinks he or she is invincible? When 16-year-old Chris and 19-year-old Brett last appeared on the show they said they were just acting like normal teens — drinking, smoking marijuana and vandalizing property. They say jail is a joke, but they find out that life behind bars is no laughing matter. At Dr. Phil's request, they participate in San Quentin State Prison’s S.Q.U.I.R.E.S. program, which deters juvenile delinquency. Dr. Phil cameras follow the young men as they enter prison for the first time. How do they react when they face-off with convicted murderers? Then, Brett opens up to the prisoners about his life. Find out what happens when the men try to get him to address a childhood memory. And, what’s really behind Chris’ poor choices and his anger? The answer might surprise you. Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 27, 2009, 1:53 pm CDT

double standard

These two episodes have me worked up enough to post a message for the first time. It does not baffle me that these two young men don't "get it" and were not "scared straight" by the visit to San Quentin. These are two middle class white kids who have always gotten off with a slap on the wrist. As for Chris' situation, had he been black or latino, he would have been locked up by now with his history of burglary and theft. Brett is very sure that he will never end up in San Quentin because he cannot see himself in any of the men he met there. Meanwhile, an African American Harvard professor is taken off to jail because he got upset when police tried to arrest him for breaking into his own home. It's no surprise that there are young men like Chris and Brett all across this country who feel like they can get away with anything because so far they have. This issue was screaming for attention throughout these two episodes yet was never mentioned.

July 27, 2009, 2:26 pm CDT

Unbelievable!

I don't remember the kids name but he was the blonde, cocky, invincible one (so he thinks). I think he learned absolutely nothing from his experience and will end up in jail. I was crying after I heard the story of the man whose son was killed due to a drunk driver.  That teen showed no emotion.... I find it both disgusting and sad. He doesn't deserve help until he admits he has a problem and he had a wonderful opportunity for that being on the Dr. Phil show. If I were his mother...I would be calling his probation officer..he shows no remorse for his actions!

July 27, 2009, 7:48 pm CDT

Get over the racism

Quote From: msmeln

These two episodes have me worked up enough to post a message for the first time. It does not baffle me that these two young men don't "get it" and were not "scared straight" by the visit to San Quentin. These are two middle class white kids who have always gotten off with a slap on the wrist. As for Chris' situation, had he been black or latino, he would have been locked up by now with his history of burglary and theft. Brett is very sure that he will never end up in San Quentin because he cannot see himself in any of the men he met there. Meanwhile, an African American Harvard professor is taken off to jail because he got upset when police tried to arrest him for breaking into his own home. It's no surprise that there are young men like Chris and Brett all across this country who feel like they can get away with anything because so far they have. This issue was screaming for attention throughout these two episodes yet was never mentioned.

OK. I agree with you that these boys need to pay the consequences of their action, but hopefully NOT with the death of someone else.  I fully believe people of all races should not be a slapped on the wrist or given harsher punishment as a result of their race.  I believe in equality!  Crimes deserve punishment, not races.   On the flip side, I am so sick of black people thinking they're so mistreated.  I can assure you , not all white men get a "slap on the wrist."  My best friend got 55 years in prison because two cops were wounded in a robbery and the ballistics showed that the bullet did NOT come from his gun, it came from the gun his accomplice had.  But guess who got more prison time?  It wasn't his accomplice!  You make it sound like every white man in America gets off because he's white.  There's just as many Whites in prison as there are Blacks, Mexicans, or Latinos.  Stop thinking any one race has it worse than another. Especially yours!  Get over it!

As for the Harvard professor, he was arrested for disorderly conduct not because he was black.  Even though that's what Gates claimed.  Apparently he refused to listen to and follow instruction. Crowley was originally called to the scene because of a tip-off that someone was breaking into Gates’s house.  How was officer Crowley, to know Gates was "breaking into his own house simply because his door was jammed?" Was he supposed to just take him at his word?  If that's the case, they need to take every person at their word no matter the circumstance. Realistically, it doesn't work that way.  Then we have Obama who couldn't resist sticking his nose into local law enforcement's business BEFORE he got ALL THE FACTS!  In my opinion, Obama acted "STUPIDLY;" he had to eat crow and admit it.  It's being said that Obama is going to sit down with Crowley and Gates for a beer. Now, that's just the kind of President I want running my country.    In case anyone's interested where I got my info, click the link below.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07262009/news/politics/obama_to_have_beers_with_sgt__crowley__p_181493.htm

July 27, 2009, 10:38 pm CDT

07/27 One Mistake Away from Jail: Teens Wake-up Call

Quote From: shelly_80

I have never in my life seen someone so emotionally unaffected as Brett.  Nothing phased him!  Not even the picture of the man's 7 month old son.  As egotistical, selfish, self-absorbed, and determined as Brett is, it will take a tragedy similar to that of the man who lost his son for him to wake up and grow up.  That is  my biggest fear!!!  No one should have to lose a family member for an selfish, irrational drug addict/alcoholic to realize his behavior is way out of hand.

As I was watching, I thought, Brett doesn't need a day long tour of prison.  He needs to take about a month to experience it.  He needs to be assigned a number an a cell, stripped of his rights, shook down, locked in his 5' X 9' 23/hr a day 7 days a week. Those in solitary confinement only get 1 hour, in rec. 1 time a week, in the state of Texas.  Let's not forget visits on weekends only. Or his "buddies in crime" who vow to come see him (on more than 1 occasion) and never show up. He needs to literally step into the shoes of a "lifer" and see if that's the kind of life he wants because that's the kind of life he's headed for.  My best friend who is more like a brother, is doing life for attempted capital murder of a police officer.  To me, because I know him, he is the sweetest man in the world, but to law enforcement, society, and his victims he's nothing more than a repeat offender who deserves to rot. That hurts me to know.  Prison is no picnic. They are told when to go to bed, when to wake up, when to go to chow, when to workout, when to go to work and when they can visit loved ones. Friends an/or family might send some money for somewhat decent food, then again they might forget.  I've been guilty of that a few times.  Oh yes, then there's the routine lock-down that lasts a week, two week, a month, however long it takes to thoroughly search each cell in each unit.  I try not to think of what my friend goes through on a daily basis because it would depress me too much.

Just reading the defination of a sociopath  and seeing how Brett demonstrated basically no emotion to anything serious, show's me that he maybe very much a sociopath and headed for death or prison.. His attitude alone tells the story of his future. 

July 27, 2009, 10:44 pm CDT

Chris

I feel Chris has a very good chance of having a normal life.  His father sounds like a uncaring, unloving man that most kids rebel against.  Unloving, detached parents should never have children in the first place.  I feel sorry for Chris...

July 28, 2009, 8:23 am CDT

Quote From: lalatda

I feel Chris has a very good chance of having a normal life.  His father sounds like a uncaring, unloving man that most kids rebel against.  Unloving, detached parents should never have children in the first place.  I feel sorry for Chris...
Yes, I believe Chris stand a better chance of turning his life around than Brett.  Chris seemed to take it all in where Brett thought he was invincible and indestructible.  I just wonder how both are doing now?

July 28, 2009, 4:18 pm CDT

Dr. Phil,

You are aw some. I really have enjoyed reading you and watching you. I went threw chemo and couldn't hold my head up and I made time to watch you and Oprah.

I do have a comment to you. That kid that just doesn't get it. You should have him go out with the ambulances when they get calls to clean up the roads and tell the innocent people that a loved one has died because of someones arrogance and selfishness. You always have the choice not to drive under the influence and I hope that even if it will wake this kid up will to be even spend a month in jail to see what it will feel like to be arrested on manslaughter charges. I think that it will be good to see him on the ambulance rides especially. People like him don't see what they do to others because they are so selfishly self absorbed. Before he takes someone else down (and that day is coming we all know) Maybe with him going out with the ambulance and work with the ambulance workers to clean up the streets and be the responsible one that tells the families that some selfish person took their loved one away. I would like to see if he gets it after no less than 6 or 7 months of every weekend and sometimes during the week to clean up the streets. Maybe this will be able to break thru his ego and be able to get it as you so carefully tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I had a sister prior to her death worked with teens. I guess it is something that I want , and she would want to help her teen grow up and become the responsible adult he said he wants to be.   

July 28, 2009, 6:33 pm CDT

okay, i'm a teen and i can see that bret needs help. i feel for him. i can understand that chris wants to get help, they both need it, because they are going down the wrong path.

August 1, 2009, 10:08 am CDT

That's what I'm afraid of!  But I'm most afraid that he won't be the only one hurt or killed.  It makes me so angry to see such irresponsible and negligent people given multiple opportunities to kill innocent people. 
And, so many people are paroled from prison too soon. Over the past few years, there have been several tragedies in Upstate South Carolina, due to this shortsightedness. A few years ago, a Clemson University coed was murdered by a man recently released from a Florida prison. And, two months ago, a serial killer took the lives of five Gaffney residents. Who was later killed in a shootout with the police. This man, who already had an inch thick rap sheet, was paroled from a North Carolina prison in April, just two months before he killed those five people.

August 1, 2009, 10:21 am CDT

OK. I agree with you that these boys need to pay the consequences of their action, but hopefully NOT with the death of someone else.  I fully believe people of all races should not be a slapped on the wrist or given harsher punishment as a result of their race.  I believe in equality!  Crimes deserve punishment, not races.   On the flip side, I am so sick of black people thinking they're so mistreated.  I can assure you , not all white men get a "slap on the wrist."  My best friend got 55 years in prison because two cops were wounded in a robbery and the ballistics showed that the bullet did NOT come from his gun, it came from the gun his accomplice had.  But guess who got more prison time?  It wasn't his accomplice!  You make it sound like every white man in America gets off because he's white.  There's just as many Whites in prison as there are Blacks, Mexicans, or Latinos.  Stop thinking any one race has it worse than another. Especially yours!  Get over it!

As for the Harvard professor, he was arrested for disorderly conduct not because he was black.  Even though that's what Gates claimed.  Apparently he refused to listen to and follow instruction. Crowley was originally called to the scene because of a tip-off that someone was breaking into Gatess house.  How was officer Crowley, to know Gates was "breaking into his own house simply because his door was jammed?" Was he supposed to just take him at his word?  If that's the case, they need to take every person at their word no matter the circumstance. Realistically, it doesn't work that way.  Then we have Obama who couldn't resist sticking his nose into local law enforcement's business BEFORE he got ALL THE FACTS!  In my opinion, Obama acted "STUPIDLY;" he had to eat crow and admit it.  It's being said that Obama is going to sit down with Crowley and Gates for a beer. Now, that's just the kind of President I want running my country.    In case anyone's interested where I got my info, click the link below.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07262009/news/politics/obama_to_have_beers_with_sgt__crowley__p_181493.htm

Like you, I'm sick and damned tired of those folks who play the race card. Even Obama did it in the Gates case. Without the facts. Even one of his staff said he rarely "screwed up" this badly. And, now he's going to wash that "crow" down with beer.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next Page | Last Page