Message Boards

Topic : 03/20 Abusive Love

Number of Replies: 55
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 13, 2009, 02:59:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They’re young, they’re famous, and now they’re shining a light on a dark subject. From the moment singer Chris Brown allegedly beat his girlfriend Rihanna on the eve of the Grammy Awards, America has been shocked and polarized by the story. How could Chris do that? And how could Rihanna even think about going back to him after what appeared to be such a brutal beating? With the help of best-selling author Bishop T.D. Jakes, Dr. Phil offers up some straight talk about domestic violence. Learn what to look for and how to stop it. First, the relationship between Megan and Kurt has been on-and-off-again for eight years, but the anger and violence has been consistently on. Megan says Kurt has beaten her, choked her, thrown her against walls, and as if that weren’t enough, Megan’s little boy is stuck in the middle, and he plays a big role in whether the couple will stay together. This relationship is at a new breaking point, and though Kurt says he wants to save it, Megan says it may be too late. Find out which direction Dr. Phil thinks they should go. Then, meet a young woman who says she put up with abuse for years and years, until a knife to the throat made her say, "Enough is enough." You won’t want to miss these stories, plus important information that just may save your life! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 20, 2009, 10:55 am CDT

abusive love

Quote From: leraco

Only in Dr. Phil's America would equal treatment and fundamental fairness be construed as 'hate women'.

It's simple

You hit someone, expect to be hit back. This is a good lesson that everyone should have learned on the playground by the age of 8.

Making excuses for Rhianna and other abusive provocators like herself is no longer acceptable.

Women wanted equality, now they have it.

I hit a man, he's going to respond in kind.

Women should now expect the same.

Welcome to Equality, ladies.
I know how it feel to get hit for nothing. I was married to a man for 10 year that hit me. But My parent did this all my life so in my eye this is how life was, you did what your husband told you to do. I was raised in a small town in Maine. My husband would rape me in from of our children and beat me until I couldn't see or get up. He was a drunk and he slept around and then say that I was doing it. The same thing my mother did with my father. I felt that I was back home again. Starting my childhood allover again.  It took me a long time to get over this. I'm 58 years old now. But I don't date and I have been divorced for over 25 years.  I adopted a child 7 years ago, he had a problems, he hit me alot at first, he is 15 now he doesn't hit me anymore but that time with him was very hard.I put him in a group home twice the first time it didn't work but the second time it seems to have work. I have a great support group team this time. I would like to date but I don't know how to get started and I afraid I will find the wrong person.   Wanda Lariviere

March 20, 2009, 11:04 am CDT

bullys

Only in Dr. Phil's America would equal treatment and fundamental fairness be construed as 'hate women'.

It's simple

You hit someone, expect to be hit back. This is a good lesson that everyone should have learned on the playground by the age of 8.

Making excuses for Rhianna and other abusive provocators like herself is no longer acceptable.

there were also bullys on the playground and hopefully we are taught right and wrong

March 20, 2009, 12:51 pm CDT

verbal abuse

I wish verbal abuse would get as much press as physical abuse has lately.  I lived with a verbally abusive man for ten years.  It was horrible.  Not that I should have been hit but I would have rather been hit than verbally abused.  You can prove a bruise. You can call the police about being hit.  People take notice when you are beat up.  No one cares if you are called a f *&^ ing c %* t all the time for no reason.  Or told you are fat and lazy and disgusting and a horrible mother and a bitch on a daily basis. No one listens to this.  No one cares.  The law can't make him stop.  I think it's disgusting.  I finally walked out after ten years when I saw the change in my children's behavior because he was doing it to them too.  I am free of his abuse but my children are not.  He still gets visitation because he is dad.  No one cares that he is verbally destroying my children's self esteem on a weekly basis.  Please please please, start talking about the horrible mental effects of verbal abuse.  No one believes you.  No one listens.  There are no marks.  It's your word against his.

March 20, 2009, 1:06 pm CDT

Whatever it is, it hurts..

I've been in a relationship for the last 4 years with a man who I do love very much but am scared of. He doesn't abuse me physically. But in a way I would rather it be. The emotional and mental abuse is pretty hard as well. There hasn't been a day that has gone by that I haven't cried. Dr. Jill was saying that even a man who puts down or demeans is an abuser. What about someone who yells because things don't go his way. That is the way it is around here. If he doesnt have enugh money for smokes than I'm to blame for it. I've tried to leave but being that I  am on assistance he made it hard for me to. He had called Children's Aid Society here in Canada and said that i was a cocaine user, and to top it all off he had called Social Services and tried to have me cut off. It worked for a couple of months. He told me that he would ruin me. He was put in jail overnight and told to attend an anger management program, He also finished that and passed the course but nothing had changed. I'm not sure as to what I'm suppose to do. And its not like I can get some money put aside because any time he starts gettin in a mood I give it to him to shut him up. ust to avoid the arguement.

March 20, 2009, 1:09 pm CDT

03/20 Abusive Love

Quote From: twinboys416

I wish verbal abuse would get as much press as physical abuse has lately.  I lived with a verbally abusive man for ten years.  It was horrible.  Not that I should have been hit but I would have rather been hit than verbally abused.  You can prove a bruise. You can call the police about being hit.  People take notice when you are beat up.  No one cares if you are called a f *& ing c %* t all the time for no reason.  Or told you are fat and lazy and disgusting and a horrible mother and a bitch on a daily basis. No one listens to this.  No one cares.  The law can't make him stop.  I think it's disgusting.  I finally walked out after ten years when I saw the change in my children's behavior because he was doing it to them too.  I am free of his abuse but my children are not.  He still gets visitation because he is dad.  No one cares that he is verbally destroying my children's self esteem on a weekly basis.  Please please please, start talking about the horrible mental effects of verbal abuse.  No one believes you.  No one listens.  There are no marks.  It's your word against his.
I am soo with you on that with the verbal abuse. No one can prove it cause it is his word against hers. I would rather have the black eye or the bloody lip rather than the thought of hearing him inside my head all the time "your a lazy fat slob"

March 20, 2009, 1:33 pm CDT

03/20 Abusive Love

I left my first husband after he got drunk and hit me for the first time in 1984.  I worked with a woman that was abused for years then started a relationship with another man that worked in our store that was getting drunk and abusing her.  I didn't want to end up like her.  My ex husband had a father that was an alcoholic and abused him throughout his child hood.  My ex just left his 3rd wife for the second time after marrying a 4th he had an affair with while married to #3.  He has now gone back to his second wife.  I will never forget that night he continued to punch me and I tried to get in my car to leave.  I kept seeing the pavement at my face.  I screamed and screamed but no one in his parent's neighborhood came to help.  Probably because that had gone on so long no one wanted to be involved with the family.  He finally let go and I took off and never went back.  Any woman that continues to live with a man that treats her like that at all is really stupid.  I have a 26 year old daughter by my first husband.  She never saw the abuse but she has even been involved with men like that and is going through a horrible divorce and custody of her 2 year old because she married a man  like that.  She is opening up more and more about things that really happened there.  She has a son by another man that's older than the baby involved in the divorce.  I pray we stop this cycle with her.  I have a 3 year old daughter now along with an 11 year old son and a wonderful husband.  I waited a long time to remarry and allowed God to send me this man.    I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. 

March 20, 2009, 2:16 pm CDT

Currently in An abusive Marriage

My name is Brittany. I met my husband when I was pregnant with my first child, her father left me then I met...john doe. John doe and I have been together for almost a year and a half. I met him while I was working in NC as a waitress and he was traveling as a carney. We spend 2 weeks together and talked over the phone for three months before me and my daughter moved in with him. I knew when we met he had a drug/alcohol problem. He kept to his word and had been a family man on up until one night he went out. I left him the first time but only for a few days, then we impulsively moved back to PA from NC. He was good for awhile, then he would go out once in awhile. We got married three months ago, we had never had any problems with abuse. He started going out again not even a month after we got married. He became violent. Slapping, puching, strangeling, and even put a sock in my mouth and I was crying so hard, I could't breathe. He's jurked the phone cord outof the wall so I couldn't call 911 and I tried to go to a neighbors house and the man was hesitant to let me use phone. I was unable to call cops. He's been sober for about 1 1/2 months now, and we get along fine, but he still needs help. I told him if he goes out again, I'll leave and take our children with me, we had a son back in Nov. How can I make him get help?

March 20, 2009, 2:38 pm CDT

03/20 Abusive Love

I heard Dr. Phil's monologue today.

"Self defence is never an excuse. There is no excuse to hit a woman, ever."

Women are no longer harmless victims. They are often dangerous, violent and abusive.

This Chivalry is D-E-A-D.
The days of women being unaccountable are over.
Dr. Phil's attempts to make the rest of us adhere to a mid 20th Century Southern Texas Gentleman standard will not work.

His statement gives all women in the USA carte blanche to hit any man at any time, knowing that the ones that take his advice will run away, walk away, or leave.

This would be a great tactic to get a man out of his house, and to later file false charges, get the house, kids and a restraining order.

Women in the USA must be held accountable. You hit someone, you darn well will be hit back.

Equality. Women wanted it, now they have it. They want to be treated equal to men, then if you hit a man he will hit you back.

Just like he would if a man hit him.
All those "ERA feminists" rung chivalry's death-knell.

March 20, 2009, 2:46 pm CDT

03/20 Abusive Love

It's simple

We've got all those "ERA feminists" to thank for this Equality.
I'll bet Dr Phil thinks Rhianna didn't deserve Chris Brown's abuse, but when someone is given to physical abuse, "pushing their buttons" can have deadly consequences.
Besides, Brown comes from a musical "culture" that doesn't exactly encourage treating women with dignity and respect. Many rap and hip-hop "songs" seem to glorify violence toward women.

March 20, 2009, 2:50 pm CDT

verbal, emotional and psychological abuse

I have been married for 18 years and am 43 years old.  It was only a little over a year ago that I realized I was married to a controlling man.  I knew there were problems in our relationship but I would have to describe it as "why do I irritate him so much?  Why is he always mad at me...or angry with me?"  It just kept getting worse and worse until I googled, "husband always mad, does he love me, etc..."I started to realize I was abused.  He became increasingly upset when he found my searches for 'verbal abuse', 'emotional abuse'.  I told him I could not handle his anger anymore and was actually considering asking him to move out.  That's when he REALLY got mad!  name calling, keeping me up all night, jumping on top of the car when I tried to leave, breaking down doors with his foot, asking me to 'submit', chasing me down in my car with his car (I finally called the police during this incident).  Long and short of it is he is 'trying' to change but I am told that they never change.  It seems he always blames circumstances or people for why he's upset.  Anyone have similar circumstances that may already be 'on the other side' of getting out of his oppression?  I have 3 girls, a college-education (but haven't used it after the girls were born 16 years ago) .  More than anything else I think I worry about regret...all the memories.  When it's good, it's good...but when he gets mad at me...(or irritated ~ which is pretty often), life is miserable! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last