Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 The Dark Side of the Internet

Number of Replies: 70
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 26, 2009, 10:22:32 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, you may not know it, but there is a threat looming in your home. It’s a frightening and dangerous trend that affects the good girls -- cheerleaders, honor students and college graduates -- and law enforcement agencies across the country are up in arms. No longer needing to walk the streets to offer sex for money, young women are turning to the reputable Web site craigslist.com in order to sell their bodies. Next to the area on the site where you can buy a jungle gym for your child, you can access erotic ads, where young women post sexy photos and advertise sex for money. When Ashley was in college pursuing a bachelor’s degree, she never predicted that she would one day meet strangers for sex in order to pay off her student loans. She says she wants to quit the dangerous profession before something horrible happens, but thinks she’s addicted to the “easy money.” Crystal says she was also addicted to the money until she was nearly killed. Hear her horrific story and how her life is now that she has escaped the industry. Could Crystal’s tale be the wake-up call Ashley needs? Then, meet a mother who fears her daughter may be using craigslist to exchange sex for money. What can she do to protect her daughter? Sheriff of Cook County, Illinois Tom Dart and Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal weigh in. Lawmakers have formed a coalition to rid craigslist of its erotic service section, but find out why they’ve been fighting an uphill battle. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 30, 2009, 4:47 pm CDT

Mixed feelings

The young lady who came on Dr. Phils for help.  I have a feeling she is looking for Dr. Phil to bail her out financially.  School loans.. lots of people have them. And lots of people don't prostitute themselves.  I suspsect she is living beyond her means to start with, and would do well to sit down with a profesional to work out a budget. Work two jobs if need be. How many tricks does hse turn in a week I wonder. I as much as anyone.. without telling my story know how circumstances can sluddenely take you down a bad road. But in this case I think she just lived beyond her means and wanted a lifestyle she couldnt afford while paying her loans.

March 30, 2009, 5:43 pm CDT

You can sell your body but not your pets on Craigslist

It amazes me that Craigslist says they monitor their site. I never even noticed their erotic section. I went to it today and was shocked to find pictures of fully nude women spread eagle.

I recently tried to sell some koi fish on Craigslist because I forgot about the no pets rule. My ad was removed in a matter of a couple of hours. Wow! Maybe I should try to sell them in the erotic section!!

March 30, 2009, 6:13 pm CDT

UNREAL!!!

Ok, where to start... Craigslist is an amazing site that is FREE for traders and sellers. You are going to try to shut it down, unreal, where do you people get off??? To the cop that started all of this, you post fake ads, and someone replies? that is your grounds??? Isnt that entrapment? so how does that make you any better than a real poster? I personally think you are a wienie! You are going to sue them? Are you serious? and people, if your getting upset because your kids are clicking on things that they shouldnt be, maybe lets not blame the site, but blame your parenting skills, just maybe you are a HORRIBLE parent and didnt raise your kid right! The things that people come up with, is all of America really about sueing the next person? Do you realize that by clicking on that link, you are relieving Craigslist from ANY liability? If you kid clicks on it there is nothing that you can do and if any judge grants this lawsuit there is a huge issue here.

now lets talk about the prostitution, Its illegal, but why? Should it really be up to someone else what you decide to do with your body? Whats next, tattoos are illegal? Im not saying that I dont agree with the illegal prostitution, just trying to make a point. We have some VERY stupid laws in this country and some people that will try to find that loophole in that law that they can benefit from, ie: suing a website for something that has nothing to do with them. So moral of this is, parents, teach your kids wrong from right, 1st and foremost, its your job, not Craigslist job, and to the cop that started all of this, get a life, seriously. If you were any kind of cop you would have tried to contact Craigslist and asked them to take that portion of the site down or to enforce and age check or something, and you wouldnt have filed a lawsuit, that makes you trash and a horrible cop. and last Dr. Phil, seriously, this on your show??? Let parents know that if theyre worried about what sites there kids are going to, they CAN block certain them, hmmm, theres a GREAT idea! This really pisses me off!

March 30, 2009, 6:30 pm CDT

Dr Phil thank you for having this on.

I'm in my late thirties. I have made allot of bad choices in my life and certainly haven't lived up to my potential.

I dropped out of college years ago on a scholarship to start stripping. That would be any parents nightmare.

I don't have a pimp or drug problem but I can't get out of prostitution. I'm an actress/writer and have bar tending skills but I can't stop posting on CL . It's not something just anyone can understand. Prostitution is very addictive.

I once heard it's almost harder than trying to get out of the Mafia and I get that. I have amazing people in my life,friends etc but this is a dirty little secret. I have set dates to get out but continue to post ads on CL.

I have searched for support groups out of this line of work in Los Angeles but it seems its all for impatient and girls off the street. I really want to just make the transition over to a job like bar tending while pursuing my dream.I'm also taking classes at SMC to finish my Bachelor of fine arts degree.I'm trying so hard to get back to a full life of living authentically and living to my full potential as a human being but I just need to have some support with people who can support me. I can't do this on my own.

I saw  the show and I was going to skip watching it,but by the need of the show my  choice in doing this disturbed me. I have been once again looking for support out here. I'm  going to give 110% to getting the help I need. This show scared me a little and thats good.

People this was good because the reality is no little girl EVER says I want to be a stripper or hooker when I grow up. It's something women do when they get off path in life.I really applaud Dr. Phil for doing what he can to help.

March 30, 2009, 7:44 pm CDT

Disgusted..

I think it is a shame that a service like Craigs list is being blasted like this. It seems to me they are assisting however they can and the Sheriffs department is looking for publicity. Why did he not file this suit through the Cook County Attorney General's Office? You can tell by how he answers Dr. Phil's questions that there is something that is not as it appears with his attack on Craig's list.

I find the guest tonight, Ashley, offensive. It is sickening to watch an adult sit in front of millions of people and share her "poor me" story. We all have bills and some of people have things very hard, especially today. I worked full time as a bartender paying my rent and paying for my college. I got out and had school loans like so mahy others do. What is the deal? She is a college graduate and displays not an ounce of accountability for her own lack of morals? She is pathetic and I have no sympathy nor empathy for girls like her. She talks about her credit problems - give me a break - NO EXCUSE!!

It is just plain sickening  how people take no responsibility for their own poor actions.  They blame society and or anyone else but themselves. I have a 13 year old daughter and I PARENT. I look over what she does and feel confident about her activities. I supppose if you are an absent parent or a parent whom has made very poor choices in how they raise their kids - than this is the show for them.

Once they are 18 it is too late to start parenting. if you messed up bad - than you are out of luck in controlling what they do after 18. It is called lazy parents raising kids with no morals or values and then living the life of blaming others in life for their terrible lot in life. I do not feel sorry for any of them.

March 30, 2009, 8:13 pm CDT

things you need to consider....

before you go around calling the guests disgusting and immoral, here are some things to think about:

- college tuition and loans are not the same as when YOU went to school. Unless you went to school and have loans from the last 2 years, don't try to compare your educational experience to this girl's.

- she said she can't find a job even though she has a college degree. You're blaming her for that?!? No one can find a job!! Some of the most educated people I know have been laid off in the past year and can't work. The fact she turned to prostitution, as many other women have currently and in history, isn't surprising. If I was a woman, I might do it too if I was trying to salvage my financial future.

- Hasn't Dr. Phil done all these recent shows on the collapse of the economy and the desperate measures people are going to so they can pay their bills? The ticker at the top of the screen RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE THIS has a line that says, "EMPLOYED BUT STILL SINKING FINANCIALLY?" Isn't that exactly what this girl did? She was desperate, and was still sinking.

- where exactly did this girl mention (or did Dr. Phil mention, for that matter) that she lives an extravagant life? Where is the proof of this? All of you are just speculating

- the banks in this country are on lockdown. I, myself, can't seem to negotiate with my creditors to lower my interest or consolidate. Why? Because they're all going under and won't lend any money. What makes you think this girl can get around the economic issues that we have right now and that exceptions can be made for her to lower her payments? If she's run into as much trouble as all of us have, it makes sense she got herself into a bad cycle of not being able to stop being a prostitute.

- though she made bad choices, she appears to want to get out. she didn't argue with Dr. Phil about quitting the industry. why are all of you saying she's such a bad person? It appears she wants to stop.

March 30, 2009, 8:55 pm CDT

03/30 The Dark Side of the Internet

Quote From: ramar52

Glad you got out of that danger-fraught "business" and no longer have to hide. Makes me wonder what the other poster tells her children she does for a living. And, if she has any daughters, would she want them following in her footsteps. Prostitution is unsafe, no matter how "classy" or discreet. Even the most rigorous "screening" process can't always protect these women from some nut-job bent on mayhem.
 You are 100% right and anyone who thinks that there are safe sites and safe ways of doing something that, by it's very nature is secretive is fooling themselves.  I did not want to ask those questions to the original poster because I was not sure if it would do any good.  There is nothing on this earth that could make me go back, and I mean nothing.  If she is making 5-7 K a month I would think she would have plenty of money saved up to get out of any finacial worries she has so there is a lot more to what she is saying.   

March 30, 2009, 9:01 pm CDT

Quote From: fradertoadie

It amazes me that Craigslist says they monitor their site. I never even noticed their erotic section. I went to it today and was shocked to find pictures of fully nude women spread eagle.

I recently tried to sell some koi fish on Craigslist because I forgot about the no pets rule. My ad was removed in a matter of a couple of hours. Wow! Maybe I should try to sell them in the erotic section!!

Good idea but make sure they are mating or something.  Ironic isn't it? 

March 30, 2009, 10:18 pm CDT

Quote From: maryishopeful

I'm in my late thirties. I have made allot of bad choices in my life and certainly haven't lived up to my potential.

I dropped out of college years ago on a scholarship to start stripping. That would be any parents nightmare.

I don't have a pimp or drug problem but I can't get out of prostitution. I'm an actress/writer and have bar tending skills but I can't stop posting on CL . It's not something just anyone can understand. Prostitution is very addictive.

I once heard it's almost harder than trying to get out of the Mafia and I get that. I have amazing people in my life,friends etc but this is a dirty little secret. I have set dates to get out but continue to post ads on CL.

I have searched for support groups out of this line of work in Los Angeles but it seems its all for impatient and girls off the street. I really want to just make the transition over to a job like bar tending while pursuing my dream.I'm also taking classes at SMC to finish my Bachelor of fine arts degree.I'm trying so hard to get back to a full life of living authentically and living to my full potential as a human being but I just need to have some support with people who can support me. I can't do this on my own.

I saw  the show and I was going to skip watching it,but by the need of the show my  choice in doing this disturbed me. I have been once again looking for support out here. I'm  going to give 110% to getting the help I need. This show scared me a little and thats good.

People this was good because the reality is no little girl EVER says I want to be a stripper or hooker when I grow up. It's something women do when they get off path in life.I really applaud Dr. Phil for doing what he can to help.

I am so sorry you have not been able to find the support you need to get out of it, but realize people like me and many others are backing you up 100%! I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it would be to get out of something like this!

Even though you may consider what you do to be a "dirty little secret" that should be kept from your close friends, maybe you should let them know. I say this because maybe they will understand and be your support group to help you get out of it. I know you may think they may judge you, and some probably will. However, your true friends will stand by your side as long as you tell them you want out and need support in order to do so! Just have confidence and believe that you can!!!!!

I did not have a chance to watch the show, but I read the transcripts and it made me so sad! I am a 20 year old in college right now and I know how expensive college is. It is ridiculous!!! I have been lucky enough to have parents that can pay for my college. However, I go to a community college that is much cheaper than many state universities. I cannot imagine having over $80,000 in debt! That would be so hard!!! I refuse to judge her for selling her body, because I have heard of this happening all of the time!

I remember hearing the story a few months ago about the girl who sold her virginity for about 3.8 million (through the bunny ranch in Las Vegas, where prostitution is legal) in order to pay for her graduate degree. I have to admit, I was shocked when I read that. But in a way, it is very similiar to this case, a girl selling her body to pay for college. I cannot deny and say the thought has not crossed my mind because I have not had sex and I am going to have to figure out a way to pay for graduate school too, but after reading this show's transcripts, I refuse to even think of it! I will just work as many jobs as I have too!!!!! And that will be just fine with me.

So to judge these women who have sold their bodies and call them "bad" is just wrong. I just wish they would not have to do this to themselves and be able to find a job they can morally live with and be safe!!! No matter what though, I just want you to realize that you do not have to feel like you are alone! People like me and many others are supporting you 110% to get out of this before something could happen to you! Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2009, 12:24 am CDT

AAAAW Thank you so much!!

Quote From: aholwage

I am so sorry you have not been able to find the support you need to get out of it, but realize people like me and many others are backing you up 100%! I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it would be to get out of something like this!

Even though you may consider what you do to be a "dirty little secret" that should be kept from your close friends, maybe you should let them know. I say this because maybe they will understand and be your support group to help you get out of it. I know you may think they may judge you, and some probably will. However, your true friends will stand by your side as long as you tell them you want out and need support in order to do so! Just have confidence and believe that you can!!!!!

I did not have a chance to watch the show, but I read the transcripts and it made me so sad! I am a 20 year old in college right now and I know how expensive college is. It is ridiculous!!! I have been lucky enough to have parents that can pay for my college. However, I go to a community college that is much cheaper than many state universities. I cannot imagine having over $80,000 in debt! That would be so hard!!! I refuse to judge her for selling her body, because I have heard of this happening all of the time!

I remember hearing the story a few months ago about the girl who sold her virginity for about 3.8 million (through the bunny ranch in Las Vegas, where prostitution is legal) in order to pay for her graduate degree. I have to admit, I was shocked when I read that. But in a way, it is very similiar to this case, a girl selling her body to pay for college. I cannot deny and say the thought has not crossed my mind because I have not had sex and I am going to have to figure out a way to pay for graduate school too, but after reading this show's transcripts, I refuse to even think of it! I will just work as many jobs as I have too!!!!! And that will be just fine with me.

So to judge these women who have sold their bodies and call them "bad" is just wrong. I just wish they would not have to do this to themselves and be able to find a job they can morally live with and be safe!!! No matter what though, I just want you to realize that you do not have to feel like you are alone! People like me and many others are supporting you 110% to get out of this before something could happen to you! Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!

It's also your kind of support and cheering on that motivate me and I think motivate others to take action for change. I do wish people wouldn't be so judgmental. I read these  boards and see how negative and judgmental people can be,but usually people that are like that are like that with allot of topics an things. Despite everything I'm a glass half full girl and th eolder I get the less I judge anyone.

I wish the women who have caught their husbands with prostitutes would stop for a second and trash their husbands instead,nobody held a gun to their husbands heads to them pick up the phone and dial a girl,but with all that being said it's a path I would never recommend. I'm glad you decided against it. You motivated me and I'm giving you some pearls of wisdom no shortcuts,seriously. Don't ever take those rodes,because it can also be hard to get out of.As long as your doing your best in life and staying on your path(and prostitution and stripping is never ones path) then you will be okay,you'll have ups and downs but you'll pull through.

I remember the story of that girl on Tyra Oswell. I saw it. It made me sad and I wanted to grab her and take her away. I wish I could have been there to tell her.It actually broke my heart.

Prostitution and getting out is something most people will never understand nor will it ever be accepted. Thats why i don't take it so personal when I hear comments. So thank you again  so so much for being a doll,and your young. I like that your a young woman and learning to support and empower other woman to make better choices without judgment. You'll go far in life with that and people will be drawn to you and trust you.

Stay fabulous and stay in touch here on this board. I have two interviews for bartenders at a nice hotel in town....keep your fingers crossed.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last